• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

1488168610093.png

You can't be serious.

Birdman's cinematography was a triumph, Revenant's was revolutionary.

Birdman's was solid, but no better than any of the other nominees even with its "one continuous shot" gimmick. Ida was a much bigger accomplishment in cinematography.

The Revenant's cinematography was great, but "revolutionary"? How? But you know what? I can't hate on that win. I was more blown away by Mad Max's, but I'm not going to pretend that it was unequivocally better than The Revenant's.

I'm just happy to see someone else win this year. The New World and Children of Men are probably the best films he's shot, which didn't win in their respective years, curiously enough.

People don't care, they just hate what's popular

Yeah, that's it. Or maybe it's because many of us find it to be a good film that doesn't warrant the overwhelming Academy nomination love its received.

La La Land is about dreams and how fucking hard it is to work toward them; where sometimes you have to sacrifice even true love in order to achieve them.

The Hollywoood stuff is just window dressing.

HeelPower

It's a happy idealistic fluff piece by Hollywood about Hollywood where successful performers play struggling performers who find success. I also found it boring and simplistic, with a theme that has the creators' heads so far up their own ass they can't see anything other than the shit they eat everyday.

I don't like it too much ,but its neither happy nor idealistic. That final scene alone should've made that clear.

traveler

Not Wario
It's a happy idealistic fluff piece by Hollywood about Hollywood where successful performers play struggling performers who find success. I also found it boring and simplistic, with a theme that has the creators' heads so far up their own ass they can't see anything other than the shit they eat everyday.

That's such a different take on it than I had, especially after seeing Whiplash. Both are about the cost of dreams, not some idealistic picture of success. It feels more like it subverts those fluff pieces, than aspires to be one of them.

Black_Red

Sing Street had equal if not better music and more engaging characters and nobody has seen it, so I'm not sure that's true.

I LOVED sing street, and I agree on the music, specially "Going up" and "Drive it like you stole it" but I dont think it was a better musical (or a better movie). If I remember correctly the first song was "Riddle of the model" like 30-40 minutes into the movie and that was weird for a musical.

Qwyjibo

Sing Street was good but for me it was a clear step down from Begin Again and Once so maybe I underrate it a bit because of that comparison.

I'm surprised that I liked La La Land far more.

duckroll

I hate to be the one to defend La La Land but apparently everyone here missed the part where they make fun of Hollywood for how dumb and pretentious it is for half the damn movie.

La La Land "makes fun" of Hollywood in the same way Michael Bay "makes fun" of racism.

Not

Banned
La La Land is about dreams and how fucking hard it is to work toward them; where sometimes you have to sacrifice even true love in order to achieve them.

The Hollywoood stuff is just window dressing.

Moonlight is about not being able to experience love at all because of who you are

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know he said humming but it sounded like cumming >_>

Speevy

Banned
Don't be fooled, for some reason, people who hate la la land need to post in every thread that they hate the movie. It still is highly praised by the majority.

I think it's better to downplay La La Land than play it up.

Once you hear everyone say it's the best film of the year, you watch it and say "That's it?"

Most people who saw it when it opened were like "Wow a musical that's good OMG GREAT THIS IS AMAZING OMG." without thinking of the fact that the movie does have some weaknesses. It's not a new American classic.

Icolin

Banned

La La La seems like such a massive circle jerk.

It's Hollywood sucking it's own dick

La La Land "makes fun" of Hollywood in the same way Michael Bay "makes fun" of racism.

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

I knew it wasn't gonna win, but I really, really liked Moonlight's score.

And Jackie's.

I think my biggest problem with La La Land really was the fact the music in the musical wasn't all that memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom