• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Birdman's was solid, but no better than any of the other nominees even with its "one continuous shot" gimmick. Ida was a much bigger accomplishment in cinematography.

The Revenant's cinematography was great, but "revolutionary"? How? But you know what? I can't hate on that win. I was more blown away by Mad Max's, but I'm not going to pretend that it was unequivocally better than The Revenant's.

I'm just happy to see someone else win this year. The New World and Children of Men are probably the best films he's shot, which didn't win in their respective years, curiously enough.

I'd go into detail about it if I wasn't on mobile, but in Rev he pulls off camera moves that have literally never been done before in natural locations. Not just a work of technical genius, but creative genius (breath on the lens, integration of cgi, etc). Maybe the average viewer doesn't notice it all but I'm a dp and it's easily the best looking film I've ever seen.

Kacar

La La Land was one of my favorites movies. definitely my favorite of the year, arrival was close though.

The OST of la la land is a great listen, have probably listened to it at least 20 times.

I think it's better to downplay La La Land than play it up.

Once you hear everyone say it's the best film of the year, you watch it and say "That's it?"

Most people who saw it when it opened were like "Wow a musical that's good OMG GREAT THIS IS AMAZING OMG." without thinking of the fact that the movie does have some weaknesses. It's not a new American classic.

And I thought it was terrific personally. Everyone has a different opinion after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom