• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Encompassing Competitive Pokemon Thread (Tournament April 23rd)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Andrex said:
I was just looking at that combo, would make things easier for sure.

If I were to get a high IV Ditto and gave it an Everstone, would the nature pass down if bred with a female Pokemon? And if I gave it a power item, I wouldn't be able to control the nature, right?
I am pretty sure that Ditto w/Everstone + Female w/PowerItem would work.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
I am pretty sure that Ditto w/Everstone + Female w/PowerItem would work.

You get both the nature and the IV? Wow!

I guess I feel dumb asking but is there anything you want? :lol I feel bad asking for this. After all it could help me beat you!
LOLOLOL

If you could attach the power items for attack and speed that would be fantastic. <3

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
You get both the nature and the IV? Wow!

I guess I feel dumb asking but is there anything you want? :lol I feel bad asking for this. After all it could help me beat you!
LOLOLOL

If you could attach the power items for attack and speed that would be fantastic. <3
Specify what you want and bring 6 things to trade. Doesn't matter what it is. My FC is in the first couple of posts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Specify what you want and bring 6 things to trade. Doesn't matter what it is. My FC is in the first couple of posts.

Why six? I only need that pair. =3

My FC is 0560 - 9071 - 3586. Adding you now.

Edit- Can you give Pokerus to a Pokemon that's already had it? Or is it permanent, the ability to spread it only temporary?

Sixfortyfive

Getting online now. Sorry it's taking so long.

EDIT: Well, since you went to the trouble of grabbing more trash things to trade, I could clone some other stuff of mine while I'm here if you want.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sorry it took so long for me. I couldn't connect the first four tries. It seems to only happen at night...

Thanks again! I was thinking of going after Entei, but then I remembered his horrible typing...

Is there any usable Gen 2 Pokemon that isn't weak to, or can use moves of/against, Fire or Electric?

Edit- No that's OK! Thanks.

I might hit you up for a Ditto or two later on... but this is great for now. :D

Jokey665

Andrex said:
Is there any usable Gen 2 Pokemon that isn't weak to, or can use moves of/against, Fire or Electric?
Usable in what sense?
Quagsire is immune to electric and resists fire, and has super effective STAB moves against both of those types.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Quagsire eh...

In the OP it says that the quickest way to max the speed EV would be to train against 16 Magikarp, but wouldn't it be easier to train against Golbat? If I'm doing my math right each Golbat would give out 12 EVs that way. Unless you need it to be an even 10?

Firestorm

Andrex said:
Quagsire eh...

In the OP it says that the quickest way to max the speed EV would be to train against 16 Magikarp, but wouldn't it be easier to train against Golbat? If I'm doing my math right each Golbat would give out 12 EVs that way. Unless you need it to be an even 10?
There's a trainer in DPP that has 6 Magikarps so that's why people normally use that. You can also use Old Rod (that's in HGSS right?) to always fight Magikarps whereas you'd have to run from other Pokemon while fighting Golbats.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah Old Rod is in, but in the time I tried it it came up with nothing 50% of the time.

I do like the surfing tip for Route 42. That saved me tons of trouble. In fact my experience would've been 100x worse without 645. :lol Thanks again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, theoretically it should work... But I've always been fuzzy on the male/female specifics in breeding.

Is it common to use PP Up on some moves in competitive battling?

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
Is it common to use PP Up on some moves in competitive battling?
Yeah. Mostly on 5 PP / 10 PP moves or everything on a tank that's supposed to stay in play a long time and stall.

I get kind of pissed whenever I win an Exp Share in the lottery instead of a PP Up, even though the Exp Share is the harder to get prize.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah good. Am I correct in assuming there's only one PP Max per game and there's no other ways to get it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I only got one. :< Though I shouldn't be complaining, I didn't even know they existed until SoulSilver. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If I want to make my Empoleon's EVs 232 and 252 for Speed and Special Attack respectively, does it matter which I choose to make the IV perfect for? Or should it be something else since I'm beefing those two up.

Andrex said:
If I want to make my Empoleon's EVs 232 and 252 for Speed and Special Attack respectively, does it matter which I choose to make the IV perfect for? Or should it be something else since I'm beefing those two up.

Where are you getting the 232 Speed EV number from? Usually Speed EVs are calculated to achieve a magic Speed number so it outruns certain Pokemon. So 31 IVs is typically implied unless a Hidden Power requires 30 IVs in Speed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh. See it's these little things I don't know. So I never need to worry about the speed IV at all?

Andrex said:
Oh. See it's these little things I don't know. So I never need to worry about the speed IV at all?

Well, actually that means it's really important lol. For every IV point you have below 31 for Speed, you're going to have to invest an additional 4 Speed EVs to make up for the deficiency if you want to hit that same Speed stat. So a 30 in Speed IV means your Speed EVs need to be 236 instead of 232.

This is assuming the 232 EVs are listed because the Pokemon needs to reach a specific Speed stat. Speed is probably the most important stat to get perfect IVs in, generally speaking. Having one less Speed point means you could be moving second every time in a particular matchup. Having one less Attack/Defense point will only marginally affect damage calculations.

Sixfortyfive

There are a few pointers as to why speed is important in the second post.

The difference between a few attack points = maybe the difference between a 60% and 65% damaging attack. It's still a 2-hit KO either way.
The difference between a few speed points = one player gets an extra turn. Huge difference.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well I asked cause I have a perfect IV'd Ditto thanks to 645 and I would either give it Power Anklet or Lens to pass one of those down. That's how it works right?

I don't think I could invest the time into checking each IV if it's perfect. I mean I guess I could for the other one since the nature and one IV are guaranteed, but I'd rather not. Does it really matter all that much?

Like if I entered the tourney and its Special Attack was 10 instead of 31 would it make that big of an impact?

Edit- So to answer the question I should have asked, I should just give it Power Anklet. Thanks guys. :lol

Sixfortyfive

I will say this though: I'm not as crazy over completely maxing out speed (31 IV + 252 EVs) as most players are. Think about it. What's the point of just matching a tie against all the other Pokemon in the same speed tier? You'd still be risking a 50/50 shot against something with the same base speed and nature, and 50% odds are not something you ever want to give yourself in Pokemon.

So I usually just invest enough speed EVs to outrun Pokemon on the next-highest speed tier, then dump the rest elsewhere unless there really isn't any other worthwhile place to put them.

Jokey665

Sixfortyfive said:
You'd still be risking a 50/50 shot against something with the same base speed and nature, and 50% odds are not something you ever want to give yourself in Pokemon.
50% odds are better than 0% odds.

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:
I will say this though: I'm not as crazy over completely maxing out speed (31 IV + 252 EVs) as most players are. Think about it. What's the point of just matching a tie against all the other Pokemon in the same speed tier? You'd still be risking a 50/50 shot against something with the same base speed and nature, and 50% odds are not something you ever want to give yourself in Pokemon.

So I usually just invest enough speed EVs to outrun Pokemon on the next-highest speed tier, then dump the rest elsewhere unless there really isn't any other worthwhile place to put them.
Don't forget Dragon Dancers and Scarf users.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you have a Pokerus Pokemon doing the battling, and a second one with EV Share, does the second one get double EVs too? Does it have to have Pokerus as well? Is it the only one that has to have Pokerus?

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
If you have a Pokerus Pokemon doing the battling, and a second one with EV Share, does the second one get double EVs too?
Only if the second party member has PKRS. Doesn't matter whether the first member has it or not.

Merovin

Applications still valid for this Tournament? If so, I'd like to participate. Not that I'll be very good or fully trained or anything!

Heart Gold - FC; 3438 5430 6578

Sixfortyfive

OP list updated.

JCX said:
Is it too late to sign up? Can I use more than one game?
Sign ups are open until the tournament starts. I would prefer that you decide on one game to use and put all of your trained Pokemon on that, but I can update the OP with new FCs as needed.

BTW, the reason I ask that people specify what version they are using is because there are some minor gameplay changes between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, and the rules used are usually dependent on which version is hosting the match. The accuracy of Hypnosis and the existence of weather glitches are the only two differences I can think of off the top of my head though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm 12 days... dunno if I can get a full team ready by then. If I really try I might.

Sixfortyfive said:
BTW, the reason I ask that people specify what version they are using is because there are some minor gameplay changes between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, and the rules used are usually dependent on which version is hosting the match. The accuracy of Hypnosis and the existence of weather glitches are the only two differences I can think of off the top of my head though.

So who gets to decide on the host if two players are on different versions? I really don't want silly weather glitches in my battles but the VS recorder is handy. :lol

Wiseblade

Little Green Yoda said:
So who gets to decide on the host if two players are on different versions? I really don't want silly weather glitches in my battles but the VS recorder is handy. :lol
The Acid Rain glitch only occurs in a very specific situation that's pretty unlikely to show up in this tourney. It also wouldn't really benefit anyone to try and trigger it on purpose. Castform and Cherrim are only banned as a precautionary measure.

Sixfortyfive

For that matter, there's a way to prevent the opponent from activating the glitch anyway: don't switch out if permanent weather is up and you expect that he will use Pursuit. Just stay in and take the hit, and the glitch doesn't come into play.

Echoes

Okay, I finally decided to enter. It was hard enough coming up with a team of 6.

Soul Silver | 4984 7134 0994

Time;
  • 23/Apr - >7:30 PM GMT+3
  • 24/Apr - <6 PM GMT+3
  • 25/Apr - 12 PM to 11 PM GMT+3
  • 26/Apr - same as 25

Sixfortyfive said:
For that matter, there's a way to prevent the opponent from activating the glitch anyway: don't switch out if permanent weather is up and you expect that he will use Pursuit. Just stay in and take the hit, and the glitch doesn't come into play.

Alright, I've decided to use SS. FC is 0217 3425 8379. Time zone is GMT -7.

Now I just have to settle on a team lol.

Is there a reason why Garchomp is banned? My friend refuses to not use him when we battle, because he doesn't understand why he's banned. Can someone explain?

Blu_LED said:
Is there a reason why Garchomp is banned? My friend refuses to not use him when we battle, because he doesn't understand why he's banned. Can someone explain?

Combination of:

- good speed, great attack, decent defenses
- best offensive typing in the game (Dragon + Ground is only resisted by Levitate Bronzong and Skarmory, both of which get hit hard by Fire Fang)
- resists Stealth Rock, immune to Thunder Wave and Sandstorm
- Sand Veil makes most "counters" unreliable and one free turn due to a miss allows it to Swords Dance and sweep half your team (stuff like Cacturne/Gliscor are not nearly as threatening)

but really just because Smogon says so (based on the reasons above)

Jokey665

Blu_LED said:
He overcentralized the metagame, requiring a team to carry 2+ pokemon capable of dealing with him, and he had no true counters.

A really standard idea was this:
1. Set up sandstorm with Tyranitar/Hippowdon
2. Switch in Garchomp holding Yache Berry or Brightpowder
3. Substitute until they miss, they will.
4. Swords Dance behind the sub
5. Sweep with outrage/earthquake

Wiseblade

Jokey665 said:
He overcentralized the metagame, requiring a team to carry 2+ pokemon capable of dealing with him, and he had no true counters.

A really standard idea was this:
1. Set up sandstorm with Tyranitar/Hippowdon
2. Switch in Garchomp holding Yache Berry or Brightpowder
3. Substitute when they switch out to dedicated Garchomp counter
4. Swords Dance behind the sub
5. Sweep with outrage/earthquake

Fixed.

You knew it was getting ridiculous when Garchomp started carrying Haban berries just to beat other Garchomp.

Firestorm

Garchomp was Game Freak's way of trolling / challenging competitive players.

"Hey, let's give this guy 102 speed so he has just enough to outspeed almost everything while leaving enough stat points out of 600 (wouldn't want him to get autobanned!) to put into spdef to survive ice beam and attack to destroy everything."

El Sloth

Banned
I'd like to participate in the tournament! Let's see how far my scrubmon's can take me.

Soul Silver FC: 4898 8292 1209

Edit: Ah I should post my timezone: GMT-4

My available times: Friday - 5 p.m.-10 p.m.
Saturday- 6p.m. - 11. p.m.
Sunday- All god damn day

Sixfortyfive

Bracket's up.

pokegaf.png

The following people signed up but haven't sent a response to my most-recent PM:
Drkirby (banned, consider his spot a bye unless he comes back by Saturday)
Balb
Katbot
Firestorm
DarthButcher

Expressed interest but never signed up:
xSL4INx
Andrex
JCX
Osuwari
Holepunch
kzn

Sign ups are closed now, but I'll let any challenger take my spot if they beat me in a match before I play FootNinja. I might let people take someone else's spot if I don't hear from them by Saturday.

Get in touch with your opponent via PM and work out your match ASAP. Report back to this thread (not via PM to me). Save and upload battle videos if you want but do not post them here unless your opponent gives the OK for it.

If you don't hear back from your opponent within 24 hours after sending a PM, let me know and I'll work out what to do with the bracket. If scheduling conflicts arise, let me know and I'll try to rearrange things to keep the tournament moving.

You're free to start now if you want.

Top Bottom