• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Encompassing Competitive Pokemon Thread (Tournament April 23rd)

Sorry if this has been asked already.

In regards to the Self-KO clause. My understanding is that moves like Explosion are allowed. Just that if it comes down to one Pokemon left on each side, and the battle ends through the use of Explosion or a similar move, the user of the move is the loser. Is this correct?

Sorry, this is my first experience with competitive Pokemon.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Inferno313 said:
In regards to the Self-KO clause. My understanding is that moves like Explosion are allowed. Just that if it comes down to one Pokemon left on each side, and the battle ends through the use of Explosion or a similar move, the user of the move is the loser. Is this correct?
Yeah, that's right. I think the game considers a match ending in that fashion to be a draw, but we can't exactly have draws in a tournament.

Wiseblade

Jokey665 said:
Oh man, I'm gonna have to play Wiseblade if we both win our matches. I'm a little worried about that >.>

There's no need to be. I'd say the people to really look out for are Firestorm and 645. I'm not looking forward to battling Metroid Killer/Echoes either.

Firestorm

I'm not too hard to beat if you can do a couple of key things which I obviously won't explain! Anyway, Sixfortyseven and I are on the same side of the bracket so only one of us can hit finals if we even make it to our match. It's single elimination after all.

Here's a protip: Remember to evolve your pokemon...

:lol Geez I guess sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees.

Echoes won against Metroid Killer

I'm actually surprised I didn't missed more after being in a hurry to complete my team for today.

Yeah fun match! I'm looking forward to see how this tournament evolves!

And again thanks a lot SixtyFortyFive, you have used a lot of time on creating both this thread and organizing the tournament really awesome and only makes the gaf pokemon community even better!

Looking forward to battle against you all after the tournament!

El Sloth

Banned
Delio said:
Yeah i do wonder what we do then. Just another match? Disconnects happen often with me to so.

Do you remember what the connection error was? I used to have a lot of disconnects as well and it ended up being too much Wi-Fi interference from other gadgets I have like my laptop. I just turn them off/sleep when I battle now and I haven't had a dropped connection since.

Delio

El Sloth said:
Do you remember what the connection error was? I used to have a lot of disconnects as well and it ended up being too much Wi-Fi interference from other gadgets I have like my laptop. I just turn them off/sleep when I battle now and I haven't had a dropped connection since.

Well i have no other devices connected other than the Wii. And it didnt give me a connection number.

Teknoman

Oh man wow, :lol I got tore up! Nice Hatchet.

EDIT: Yeah I need to get back into the normal battle scene now that i'm at the Elite 4.

Delio

Jokey maybe we can arrange to battle over Shoddybattle? I dont know if that's allowed but it's a way for me to bypass wifi errors.

Sixfortyfive

Been unexpectedly busy for most of the day. I'll get around to updating the bracket soon.

Delio said:
Jokey maybe we can arrange to battle over Shoddybattle? I dont know if that's allowed but it's a way for me to bypass wifi errors.
Yeah, this is fine as an alternative.

EDIT: Sending out mass PMs on GAF blows. Have to post a new message for each individual recipient and wait 30 seconds between sending each of them.

EDIT 2: Alright, everyone who has yet to complete a round 1 match should have gotten a notice by now. If Balb, Katbot, and DarthButcher don't respond to any of my PMs by tonight they're out. Haven't heard from them in days.

Sixfortyfive

El Sloth said:
Well I sent a PM to Katbot a while ago, just waiting for a response.
I'd get in touch with Firestorm just in case. The cutoff I'm making for the 3 gaffers I mentioned is midnight ET tonight (4.5 hours from now).

Not trying to be pushy but I really don't want this to drag on longer than it has to, and I'm not going to wait on people who cannot be reached via the forum.

El Sloth

Banned
Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit I didn't even notice I'd have to face off against Firestorm if I won in the first round! I remember him linking to a warstory he posted a while ago that was basically him fucking some dude's shit up with a butterfree. :lol

I've already received a PM from Merovin. I not sure when we'll be able to battle unfortunately. We have a difference in time zones that is really inconvenient for me since I get out of work at 8pm on saturday and sunday.

I'll see if I can get the one battle in as soon as possible.

Sixfortyfive

Update:

Drkirby, Balb, Katbot, and DarthButcher are out. xSL4INx takes DarthButcher's place, and we should have our match out of the way tonight. Unicorn can take either Balb or Katbot's place on the bracket depending on whichever match is easier to arrange.

JosM88 said:
I've already received a PM from Merovin. I not sure when we'll be able to battle unfortunately. We have a difference in time zones that is really inconvenient for me since I get out of work at 8pm on saturday and sunday.

I'll see if I can get the one battle in as soon as possible.
If you want, send a PM to both Merovin and Anonymous Tipster to see which two of you would have the easiest time matching schedules, and let the third person get a bye. I don't really care who it is.

If you can't figure out an arrangement by tomorrow evening, let me know.

Don't know how I let Merovin slip into the bottom half of the bracket... Thought I had all the Eurogaffers at the top. It might be easier to swap his position with Drkirby's. Or pair him with Wiseblade for round 1.

Whatever is the easiest for all of you guys to accomplish. I don't really care how the bracket unfolds as long as nobody gets more than 1 bye.

Sixfortyfive

Well, xSL4INx didn't show up tonight either. This quarter of the bracket isn't making much progress.

I'll be back in a bit over half an hour, stick around for a little while longer, then call it a night. I'll be available for a little bit around noon tomorrow and probably all evening as well (ET).

Sixfortyfive said:
Update:

Drkirby, Balb, Katbot, and DarthButcher are out. xSL4INx takes DarthButcher's place, and we should have our match out of the way tonight. Unicorn can take either Balb or Katbot's place on the bracket depending on whichever match is easier to arrange.

If you want, send a PM to both Merovin and Anonymous Tipster to see which two of you would have the easiest time matching schedules, and let the third person get a bye. I don't really care who it is.

If you can't figure out an arrangement by tomorrow evening, let me know.

Don't know how I let Merovin slip into the bottom half of the bracket... Thought I had all the Eurogaffers at the top. It might be easier to swap his position with Drkirby's. Or pair him with Wiseblade for round 1.

Whatever is the easiest for all of you guys to accomplish. I don't really care how the bracket unfolds as long as nobody gets more than 1 bye.
I just woke up to get ready for work.

I'd have no problem switching places seeing as I won't be available until 9pm EST when I get home from work tonight. If you have no problem switching my place with someone else whose time is more convenient that would be great. I sent a PM to Merovin over seven hours ago and the guy is probably still sleeping or brushing his teeth as we type(BST time zone).:lol

If nothing can be changed then I'll see if Merovin will be available when I get out of work(2am for him I think). It's a shame, but I can't imagine that a match is possible with my shitty weekend work schedule.

:(

Wiseblade

Just won 3-0 against Echoes. GG.

I recorded the match too and I'll upload the replay once the tournament's over. I still might want to use this team...

Katbot

Oh .... so I'm out? lol, you guys sure keep us on a tight leash.

Well, if I'm actually out, then good luck on your battles. If I'm not, I'm around to battle this weekend :p

Kyzer

Banned
sorry for the delay guys, me and OMG Aero should be battling soon, im just waiting for him to come back from eating

OMG Aero beat Kyzer

It's cool though, I think I'm finally getting a hang of this. There were like 6 moments where the tide of battle could have turned. GG GG GG !

OMG Aero

Kyzer said:
sorry for the delay guys, me and OMG Aero should be battling soon, im just waiting for him to come back from eating

OMG Aero beat Kyzer

It's cool though, I think I'm finally getting a hang of this. There were like 6 moments where the tide of battle could have turned. GG GG GG !
Yeah, I got really lucky paralysing your Pokemon and then it being fully paralysed on the same turn. My Pokemon would have probably gone down if that didn't happen.

Top Bottom