• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

My friend Dario and myself went and tested this game with me to see what the issue is. Turns out it only using two cores on PC. When the GPU is hardly being pushed over 50%. And the cpu is only being used to 25% most of the time.

My Specs:

i7 2600k@4.3ghz
16gb Ram
7970 HD x2 CrossFire as well

And this game just isn't using a lot of the cpu to load everything up. Which is why it stutters so much. Someone should report this to them and see what comes of it. No reason why a game should only be using two cores.

6peG9o15HdUmtdjw86phsXLt3Qy6X.jpg

6peGl4ksj7xbmw4rH6rJgJGKly68z.jpg

6peGR34guplSqueUd4nYj0Z0ibNay.jpg

And with these specs how does it not run perfectly on a ps4? Its kinda hilarious.

Hope we can see some feedback from them. I think the first one suffered this to as well.

Otherwise this game is fine on PC and I like how it is. Just this issue at trying to run it higher. It only happens if you have the Draw Distance up really high. Even then it doesn't change the draw distance just how fast it tries to load up the models.

Edit: I have no idea how Activision's site even work for submitting something.

eshwaaz

I can't get over how sloppy this game is. The first ASM wasn't a great game, but at least it felt like a finished product. ASM2 clearly needed far more development time. What a shame.

I can't get over how sloppy this game is. The first ASM wasn't a great game, but at least it felt like a finished product. ASM2 clearly needed far more development time. What a shame.

For real, it's even missing most of the combos and special moves you could do in the first game (and replaced them with nothing). I don't understand why, they could have just used the same assets.

For real, it's even missing most of the combos and special moves you could do in the first game (and replaced them with nothing). I don't understand why, they could have just used the same assets.

Getting further I'm it is odd to see solid gameplay mechanics from the first one go missing here. One being the area detector for stealth attacks that provided a visual indication of the zone for a stealth attack, now you just awkwardly creep up slowly with weird animation transitions.

Also like you said the combos and other parts of the combat. Really odd. Obvious they didn't get to finish what they wanted to do.

Arsenic13

After some initial framerate issues, I lowered some things from Amazing to High and still get some slowdown but nothing consistently too bad. It should perform better, though.

I've actually had a pleasant experience with the game, minus the Goblin fight which slowed the game to a crawl and caused my cpu usage to go to 50%.

The story breaks a part in favor of introducing all of the movie villains back to back, and the combat has no combos perse, but I enjoyed it more than the first game. It's a bit more balanced and varied, but not enough so. I mean, they've had several years and this feels like a good game, but there's so much else they could have improved on.

For $40, I'm fairly happy with it. The last two beenox games have been the best in years, including their own I hear. Nothing will surpass Spider-Man 2, but they're finally getting a good grip. But since it has taken them so long to reach that point, maybe it is indeed time to move on.

watched IGN's review, they gave it like a 5.7.

Not surprised. I sunk a few hours into this game and I am glad I rented instead of purchased. I kinda had a clue from early footage it wouldn't be so great but wasn't prepared for how bad it is. First of the aesthetics are horrible. Everyone has odd proportions and very weird animations that run from oddly stiff, to oddly spastic, to just downright odd.

Then it just goes down hill from there. the menu's are archaic, the webslinging is sloppy and haphazard, the fighting is atrocious (seriously no one should imply the arkham games are the worst after trying this), there is this odd sticky teleport thing you can do when fighting and webslinging except it is very imprecise. It doesn't simply work when you see the prompts on the screen, you have to be close enough to the item and even that is undefined. Don't get me started on the silliness of taking pictures of dewolff's laptop.

This is just a bad game all around.It isn't a completely broken and lifeless game. I can see people sinking time into it if they honestly have nothing better to do but it is very close to being horrible. I would rather play this game than Haze or the new DN3D is possibly the highest praise I can give to this title.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm actually really enjoying it but holy hell are the framerate issues on PC bad, as others have reported. Seems to all be CPU related as others reported as lowering settings doesn't seem to help.

I'm just glad they ditched the stupid "Every villain is just a lame animal hybrid thing."

One thing I hated in the last game and in this is that they don't work the webs into the fights enough. Like the B for web shooting. Does anyone really even use that? It's so awkward and interrupts the flow of combat. They should take notice from Batman and have the webbing stuff be like Batman's cape stuns. It's not like the random web spraying is even fun in any context. I use it to stop an inordinate amount of industrial fans, and that seems to be about it.

Holy crap, how is this game worse than the first one?

It's missing a lot of the "polish" of the first one. It wasn't a GOTY but it was at least decent. This one feels rushed and unfinished. A lot of the store present in the original is missing in this, why?

Don't get me started on the whole menace/hero thing.

This feel like an alpha of the FIRST game.

Digital Foundry posted a performance analysis (X1 vs PS4): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-amazing-spider-man-2-performance-analysis

The Xbox One game has clear disadvantages against the PlayStation 4 release that we'll explore in a moment, but they're best described as annoyances as opposed to anything genuinely game-breaking.

What we're looking at is a distinctly last-gen effort, spruced up with 1080p imagery and some higher-precision post-processing effects, but little else.

On top of the crushed colour range, it's the tearing that's the key factor of differentiation between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game. It's a little annoying, manifesting mostly as a distracting wobble on-screen, making the experience less solid than the same title running on the Sony console.

Bearing in mind the value of the licence and the rich background of characters and storylines available, what's even more surprising is the sheer lack of ambition here. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 doesn't just fall short of being a good next-gen title, it's feels sub-par when compared against the best open-world games of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 era. Even up against the existing Batman Arkham titles it seeks to emulate, our initial impression is that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 falls well short of expectations. Let's hope for better things in the future.

Mexen

If this game is better than Spider-Man 2 ( my favourite in the series ) then I'll get it. Is there someone who can confirm that it is?

Nico_D

Hardcore Gamer thinks it's a perfectly playable game.

Must say, the review feels more professional than the bashing IGN one. But that doesn't require much skills nowadays, to write better than IGN.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, the reactions here and elsewhere are so bizarre. It ranges from "perfectly fine" to "hot garbage". It's quite interesting.

Watched my cousin playing it on his PS4 last night....OMG it looked really bad. Besides Spidey's actual model, everything else looked like a last gen game. Some places looked "PS2" bad. From watching the game in action, it looked completely rushed and disappointing.

Yeah, I cancelled my pre-order. I enjoyed the original but if this one really is worse it's probably not worth buying at full price. 'd still like to try it at some point when it's cheaper though.

Ended up ordering the Child of Light deluxe edition instead.

It's missing a lot of the "polish" of the first one. It wasn't a GOTY but it was at least decent. This one feels rushed and unfinished. A lot of the store present in the original is missing in this, why?

Ugh disappointing to hear this. The first one I thought was surprisingly good! I enjoyed it.

schaft0620

IGN's review is unfair, I would give the game a 7. I wonder if they are bent out of shape by not getting a review copy.

parabolee

Played a few more hours last night and it won me over a little. Actually caught myself having fun :)

It's disappointing because it could have been so much more. But for avid Spidey fans, it's a fun albeit underwhelming and unpolished game.

It's giving me a half-decent spidey game to play to go along with the movie. Could be worse.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
IGN's review is unfair, I would give the game a 7. I wonder if they are bent out of shape by not getting a review copy.

Yes, that is probably exactly what happened. Whoever reviewed it was SO MAD at Activision for not getting a review copy that they decided to REALLY nail them by giving the game a middling score.

Or, y'know, the reviewer didn't like it. We may never know the truth.

Yes, that is probably exactly what happened. Whoever reviewed it was SO MAD at Activision for not getting a review copy that they decided to REALLY nail them by giving the game a middling score.

I've seen it because I have a super hero fanatic 14 year old cousin and it didn't look like anything over a 5/10.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played this a bit through Remote Play this morning, and as you'd expect from PS4 remote play, it works incredibly well. I completed a few side crimes, and the button layout is very well implemented. Will mess around with it more later.

You guys are freaking out over nothing. This looks graphically way better then Spider-Man 2. I think your glasses fogged up. Sure nothing exactly pops out. But the game isn't graphically bad. Everything fits together nicely. Has nice foliage/actually has it compared to Spider-Man 2 a 6th Gen game.

The characters don't look bad for the enemies, they just lack a proper rendering style. If this was rendered in a Comic Book type style like Shattered Dimensions for Amazing's portion. We'd be praising it for looking so pretty. Its that rendering art style that you guys are calling bland. The models of the the important things that you usually see are perfectly fine.

This game isn't no Infamous, but its good enough for some quick game fun and to laugh at Spider-Man moving about in cutscenes. I just get irked when people say it looks like PS2 graphics when honestly the geometry is complex and while repetitive it goes to show how much time they actually had with it.

Reknoc

I think this game has a lot of right ideas for how a Spider-man game should be. It just doesn't get to do anything with them because of time/budget.

For me the perfect spidey game would have the swinging of spider-man 2, open world but with a sensible amount of side content (i vaguely remember ultimate being good about this?), but also with structured stages (missions I guess) similar to the PS1 game, all with a covering of Ultimate's style.

ASM2 tries to do the first 2 at least, and I hope they can get to do all 3 in a game not constrained by the next movie.

edit: oh yea, I got to the bit where there's enforces out and about. Is Fisk in the movie because he looks hilariously out of place in these PS2 ere renditions of the actors from the film.

schaft0620

I hated AS1 passionately, this is not a 5.4

icespide

Banned
I played this a bit through Remote Play this morning, and as you'd expect from PS4 remote play, it works incredibly well. I completed a few side crimes, and the button layout is very well implemented. Will mess around with it more later.

I was impressed with how well remote play worked for this game! Since its a rushed licensed movie game I figured it would be terrible but its actually pretty good! Perfect game to play on the vita while my wife watches TV

eshwaaz

I think it's totally fair. The game is clearly unfinished and painfully unrefined, and is a step backwards from the previous game (which wasn't great to begin with) in many ways.

I'm not going to say I'm not having any fun at all with ASM2, but it's not a good game.

Nymphae

Banned
This game isn't no Infamous, but its good enough for some quick game fun and to laugh at Spider-Man moving about in cutscenes. I just get irked when people say it looks like PS2 graphics when honestly the geometry is complex and while repetitive it goes to show how much time they actually had with it.

I agree with your first sentence, but honestly the textures do at times look ps2 level, its nuts. For the most part I don't notice it, but in the first cinematic you see of Spidey perched up on a ledge and the camera pans around him, the visible building textures were almost barf-inducing. I expect a LOT more from a PS4 game. Or from a PS3 game ffs.

-Digits-

I was impressed with how well remote play worked for this game! Since its a rushed licensed movie game I figured it would be terrible but its actually pretty good! Perfect game to play on the vita while my wife watches TV

Makes me kinda regret not picking up the PS4 version after all. I was worried the control scheme would be terrible while remote playing. I love playing the first ASM on Vita but it looks terrible.

I'm enjoying this game so far. I'm sure I have rose tinted glasses on because it's a Spider-Man game but I'm having fun with it. There's lots of little references in there for fans, which I love.

Rnr1224

i finished the story mode at about 8 hours (continuous story missions with a couple of side activities in between.) im enjoying the game a lot but the framerate issues on PC are very annoying. Here is hoping a patch is coming. Im trying to work my way through the combat challenges now and getting all the costumes now

Nico_D

After reading the IGN review forum and this, I think I'll bite the bullet. I just want it. Period. My only wish to have some fun from it.

Ascenion

Finally started playing it as a way to relax before my Stat final today and since I doubt I'll get far enough to spoil the film as I'm seeing it a 7pm tonight. Honestly it's not a terrible game, though the only thing that looks even remotely like it belongs on the PS4 is Spidey's model, otherwise I'm graphically unimpressed. I'm wondering is it really that hard to improve upon Spider-Man 2 and Web of Shadows? I mean I'm sure Treyarch has a copy of Spidey 2. I suggest they borrow it and try to figure out what made it so good, but the swinging is definitely interesting and quite fun if not as free to control as desired. I'm also wondering why they didn't get the film cast to do the voices.

i gave up on the electro fight, it froze when i finally figured out how to get to power source #3 without getting ripped to shreds by flying turret fire..

I had a few moments of fun roleplaying as spiderman in the city, the web swinging again was serviceable, I opted to return the game to redbox on day one and just watch the last boss fights on youtube..poor spidey.

What i want out of a spidey game:
a rogues gallery of villains that can show up in the open world wreaking havoc (this ain't the movies, its a game, variety is the spice that makes things yummy)

Swinging mechanics that are easy to grasp and allows for freeform transportation without the physics looking off..

fighting mechanics that allow for variety and CHOICE in how I dispatch and approach enemies..stealth was a good idea, the execution just needed further finetuning..

bonus: the black(symbiote) suit should be a staple of every spidey game, pre order BS is lame. always.

Hip Hop

That $39.99 price on tag on Steam was surely a sign.

I agree with your first sentence, but honestly the textures do at times look ps2 level, its nuts. For the most part I don't notice it, but in the first cinematic you see of Spidey perched up on a ledge and the camera pans around him, the visible building textures were almost barf-inducing. I expect a LOT more from a PS4 game. Or from a PS3 game ffs.

It does at times on the console versions since they aren't using filtering correctly for it like they did with Strider games at first that texture filtering. Looks fine on PC when everything is maxed out. Its nothing special to brag about though.

They honestly should have just went with a artistic style for spiderman games instead of this pseudo realistic style.

Wait, what? All of the power sources are marked on the screen and you just swing to them..

after he
summons turrets, they would tear my monkey @$$ up before i could make it to them, when i finally figured it out(just destroy them or abuse web rush)
..to have the game freeze after making such progress..it just wasn't a good feeling..hadn't froze once during the entire game before hand..i realized i was slogging through it and that I'd stopped having fun ages ago..PS3 version.

wor0Dgm.png

Someone mentioned on 4chan that it looks like there's still moonswinging.
Kind of disappointed in that to be honest after it seemed like they were changing that.

I think overall the game still looks pretty fun from the gameplay videos and stuff. I think I'd totally pick it up, but it'd have to be reduced.

As flawed as the game might be, I feel there is plenty of fun to be had. I mean I've played my fair share of horrible games and I don't feel AS2 is horrible. Just some missed potential and could have used some more time in the cooker.

With that said, here is my part 2 on the walkthrough. So far I've not had any major frustrations but I know I am early in. I've only filmed up to after the first boss battle.

Top Bottom