• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

HORRORSHØW

spiderman6bkvv.gif

Vitor711

Yep. I feel pretty confident that the PC version will look nice, and the only thing that looks rough to me is the camera.

The first one looked great but I have my doubts here. Why they haven't shown off any PC walkthroughs is beyond me, especially if that's the best version. Most companies usually do the bait-and-switch that way. Weird seeing walkthroughs done on such a dodgy PS4 version...

Guess I'll wait for that to unlock in the US on steam and hear people's thoughts. Want it to be a better version of the first but it looks like not even Activision/Beenox are confident in their product what with the little marketing/no preview copies sent to press.

icespide

Banned
The swinging is awful, why on earth would they change that from how it was in the first game? The menus look terrible too.

are you joking? everyone is constantly complaining about the web swinging mechanics in every spider-man game since spider-man 2. there's always pressure to change the swinging mechanics

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well, the Spider-Man fanatic in me took the plunge and gave Activision money, despite my vow to never give them money. It's downloading now, but I'll be going to work soon, so I won't be able to play it until I get home. I've just been jonsing for some Spider-Man gaming, and the last Amazing game was ok. This one seems better than that one from the videos I've seen. Whatever, I've spent $60 on worse...

I got the digital PS4 version, so I'll be playing on that.

MYE

I'm about to buy Web of Shadows on PS3.
Aside from the horrid Sonic sounding voice of SM, is there anything I should know?

Its over 20 fucking €uros, but at least its sealed? Damn its still expensive

Certinty

I'm about to buy Web of Shadows on PS3.
Aside from the horrid Sonic sounding voice of SM, is there anything I should know?

Its over 20 fucking €uros, but at least its sealed? Damn its still expensive
Would keep away from that version as far possible. Found it unplayable and switched my copy for a 360 one years ago which was so much better.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Guess I'll wait for that to unlock in the US on steam and hear people's thoughts. Want it to be a better version of the first but it looks like not even Activision/Beenox are confident in their product what with the little marketing/no preview copies sent to press.

I'll put on Shadowplay and upload some footage when I play it later today. For reference, here's a clip I grabbed from ASM. Apologies for the Youtube framerate. It was running at 60 the whole time.

My pre-order's still standing at the moment. It doesn't look very polished but the actual gameplay looks pretty fun. For a Spidey fan at least. I can always trade it in quickly after finishing it I guess.

Vitor711

I'll put on Shadowplay and upload some footage when I play it later today. For reference, here's a clip I grabbed from ASM. Apologies for the Youtube framerate. It was running at 60 the whole time.

Thanks. Do let us know if the pop-in is as horrendous as it looks on the PS4 version. That might be enough to make me wait for a big price drop. As long as it looks better than the first and actually has missions that take place in the open world and not just in small, cordoned off areas, I'm in.

MickeyPhree

I don't know why but I just bought this off of psn. My first spiderman game since spiderman3 on the 360. Just wanted something I can play in between sessions of the show next week.

About to head to EB to pick this up. Will return with impressions of the free roam (city, web slinging etc).

PS4 version.

I'll post screens too.

MaLDo

Thanks. Do let us know if the pop-in is as horrendous as it looks on the PS4 version. That might be enough to make me wait for a big price drop. As long as it looks better than the first and actually has missions that take place in the open world and not just in small, cordoned off areas, I'm in.

It's 12.6 USD in TF2Outpost.

icespide

Banned
Major Nelson just tweeted that "The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Now Available on Xbox One and Xbox 360"

this just keeps getting weirder

Protomanx13

Neo Member
Well how smooth it runs is dependant on how good your PC is. Mine has 2 $400 cards in it, and destroys my PS4's performance.

And as long as you have a compatible controller (like a 360 controller or a DS4 with DS4tool installed), you won't have to map any buttons and rumble will work just fine.

There will be no missing features. At least not in regards to the controller support. Can;'t speak for the rest of the game until reviews come out.

Specs please.

ac4 ran like crap on most systems because of the stupid way it handles cpu usage.

cpu : Intel i7-860 (4-core 2.9-3.2 Ghz)
gpu: AMD Radoen 280X 3GB
ram: 16GB

Not that my pc can't handle it, but there are many pc ported games that are tacked on with little to no effort since the pc sales is inferior than console sale. In Assassin Creed 4, when I'm in the present day, there are trees that will cause my game to drop to 10fps even though the rest of the game tree doesn't have this problem. This is due to horrible vsync with the game. So either I have to play with horrible frame rate or bad screen tearing, which hurts my eye. Hopefully, Nvidia GSync will fix all these issues

One thing for sure, if it is a game releases by Valve and ID (kinda although Rage is lacking when it was released for the pc. what game doesn't have advance video setting), the pc will always be superior in every aspect, but if it is just better graphic, most likely I'll stay with console version.

I did look at DS4tool. Maybe i'll give it a try in the future

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Quick impressions:

I played for about an hour, so these are super early impressions. Also keep in mind that I hate Activision with the fire of a thousand suns, but I'm a huge Spider-Man fan.

Graphics: Not as abysmally poor as I was expecting based off of the trailers. Ueah, it's no inFAMOUS Second Son, but the visuals are at least sharp and clear of jaggies. Spider-Man's character model actually looks pretty good, but his walking and running animations are still as lame as the last one. The city looks like poo, even though draw distance is good. The detail of the city is just plain and lifeless. There's no character or grit to it. Streets are too clean, and sparsely populated.

Story: Not much to say on this front, as I'm only abouy three story missions in (i also completed about as many petty crime side missions). Spidy is lookinf for Uncle Ben's killer, and that's it so far.

Gameplay:

The big one. The combat is ripped straight out of the Batman Arkham games, just like the last one. If you liked that type of combat, then you may like this. I actually love the Arkham games, so I don't mind. The problems being that it's just not as fluid, visceral, and responsive as the Arkham games. The camera us a nusiance in combat, however. There's no lock on as far as I've discovered, so it's easy to lose track of enemies when jumping between them. There also doesn't seem to be a way to recenter the camera behind Spidey, but perhaps I just haven't figured it out.

The upgrade system seems ok. Not a ton of options, but most of it was locked out, so I couldn't see how his abilities grow. I've only purchased two upgrades so far; a Spider Sense upgrade, and a Web Swing Boost.

Speaking of, the web swinging feels more satisfying than the previous game, if anything because of the webs actually connecting to buildings, so when swinging out away from buildings, if there isn't anything to connect to, Spidey will plummet to the ground.

The swinging isn't as tight as SM2, however. I worked on that game as QA for four, five months back when I worked at ATVI, so believe me when I say that the swing engine in SM2 is the only thing worth a damn in that awful game. Buy I digress. In ASM2, there definitely seems to be a bit of a learning curve to the swinging, since both triggers control your webs. The physics don't feel as pendulum like as SM2, but the Web Boost upgrade gave me a nice sense of acceleration and height boost while I swung around. The next uprade for that is Web Slingshot, which i'm curious about.

There are also collectibles to unlock by collecting comic book pages like the previous game. I'm a collectable fanatic, so I actually like hunting for the pages.

In short, the game isn't worth $60, but it's not a shit game by a long shot. The fact that the story isn't tied to the movie is a positive in my book, as I'm not a big fan of the ASM movie universe.

When I get home from work, i'll play more, and hopefully have some better impressions.

Unai

Nooooo!!!! I preloaded the game yesterday on Steam, but it is gone today.

Edit: Actually, when I restarted the preload it came back to 98%. Thank God!

MickeyPhree

It's fun. I haven't played a spiderman game since sm3 and I'm enjoying it. If you can get it four 40 bucks and you like spiderman it's worth it.

schaft0620

It's fun. I haven't played a spiderman game since sm3 and I'm enjoying it. If you can get it four 40 bucks and you like spiderman it's worth it.

I think the 2 free movie tickets are worth it at gamestop its freaking $15 for each ticket where I live.

icespide

Banned
Quick impressions:

I played for about an hour, so these are super early impressions. Also keep in mind that I hate Activision with the fire of a thousand suns, but I'm a huge Spider-Man fan.

Graphics: Not as abysmally poor as I was expecting based off of the trailers. Ueah, it's no inFAMOUS Second Son, but the visuals are at least sharp and clear of jaggies. Spider-Man's character model actually looks pretty good, but his walking and running animations are still as lame as the last one. The city looks like poo, even though draw distance is good. The detail of the city is just plain and lifeless. There's no character or grit to it. Streets are too clean, and sparsely populated.

Story: Not much to say on this front, as I'm only abouy three story missions in (i also completed about as many petty crime side missions). Spidy is lookinf for Uncle Ben's killer, and that's it so far.

Gameplay:

The big one. The combat is ripped straight out of the Batman Arkham games, just like the last one. If you liked that type of combat, then you may like this. I actually love the Arkham games, so I don't mind. The problems being that it's just not as fluid, visceral, and responsive as the Arkham games. The camera us a nusiance in combat, however. There's no lock on as far as I've discovered, so it's easy to lose track of enemies when jumping between them. There also doesn't seem to be a way to recenter the camera behind Spidey, but perhaps I just haven't figured it out.

The upgrade system seems ok. Not a ton of options, but most of it was locked out, so I couldn't see how his abilities grow. I've only purchased two upgrades so far; a Spider Sense upgrade, and a Web Swing Boost.

Speaking of, the web swinging feels more satisfying than the previous game, if anything because of the webs actually connecting to buildings, so when swinging out away from buildings, if there isn't anything to connect to, Spidey will plummet to the ground.

The swinging isn't as tight as SM2, however. I worked on that game as QA for four, five months back when I worked at ATVI, so believe me when I say that the swing engine in SM2 is the only thing worth a damn in that awful game. Buy I digress. In ASM2, there definitely seems to be a bit of a learning curve to the swinging, since both triggers control your webs. The physics don't feel as pendulum like as SM2, but the Web Boost upgrade gave me a nice sense of acceleration and height boost while I swung around. The next uprade for that is Web Slingshot, which i'm curious about.

There are also collectibles to unlock by collecting comic book pages like the previous game. I'm a collectable fanatic, so I actually like hunting for the pages.

In short, the game isn't worth $60, but it's not a shit game by a long shot. The fact that the story isn't tied to the movie is a positive in my book, as I'm not a big fan of the ASM movie universe.

When I get home from work, i'll play more, and hopefully have some better impressions.

how many times did you have to listen to "I LOOOOST MY BAALLLOOOOOON"?

Top Bottom