• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

I meant they never sent them out before the game came out ;p Gerstmann Bought the XB1 version since he did not receive a review code/disc

Well that's just odd. Hmmmmm. Perhaps they are only sending it out to lesser known folks cause they are worried the bigger sites will rip it apart?

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seems like opinions are generally pretty mixed so far. Really interested in seeing how this reviews.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
hmmmm besides arkham, which you can't really wail on one guy if you want to keep combo going, pretty much all games i tend to stick with 1 guy until they are gone.

my logic:

you will always be doing the same damage per second to the overall enemy group, but taking 1 guy out lowers their potential threat quicker than evenly dishing it out.

It's the fatal flaw of majority of games where a damaged baddie will still throw punches like them at their full health state >.<"

but it hardly matters in these games with the big obvious counter prompts so its just me rambling :p

So besides web swinging, any key difference in combat/stealth gameplay from asm1?

I haven't played for more than an hour, as I'm at work now, but the combat seemed pretty much the same as the last game, if I recall correctly (I never finished the first game, but I played quite a bit of the PC version). It feels the same. It's punch punch, counter when the prompt appears, punch punch, finisher move, etc, etc.

Personally, I think Web of Shadows had the best combat, Spider-Man 2 had the best swinging, Shattered Dimensions had the best story, and Ultimate Spider-Man had the best art style. I'd love to have an open world Spider-Man game that combines the best parts of each of those games, with a narrative that encompasses Spider-Man's comic history, from his early, Amazing Fantasy years, down to Superior Spider-Man. I think, spread across 3 games, that would be an epic Spider-Man trilogy. But, yeah, Activision. At least it looks like they are stuck with movie games, so hopefully Disney/Marvel can make an awesome comic based game at some point in the future.

EDIT: Yeah, I can see why beating on one guy makes sense, but I like hopping around between enemies because it looks cool. Lol, and seems like something Spider-Man would do moreso than Batman (I imagine Batman would just take out one dude at a time, with crazy precision and speed).

-Digits-

The PC version runs better than the original did on my AMD card. I haven't measured the fps or anything but it runs a lot smoother than tasm1 ever did for me.

I'm having fun with it so far but oh boy the character models are hideous. Spidey looks alright but everyone else so far looks terrible.

I haven't played for more than an hour, as I'm at work now, but the combat seemed pretty much the same as the last game, if I recall correctly (I never finished the first game, but I played quite a bit of the PC version). It feels the same. It's punch punch, counter when the prompt appears, punch punch, finisher move, etc, etc.

Personally, I think Web of Shadows had the best combat, Spider-Man 2 had the best swinging, Shattered Dimensions had the best story, and Ultimate Spider-Man had the best art style. I'd love to have an open world Spider-Man game that combines the best parts of each of those games, with a narrative that encompasses Spider-Man's comic history, from his early, Amazing Fantasy years, down to Superior Spider-Man. I think, spread across 3 games, that would be an epic Spider-Man trilogy. But, yeah, Activision. At least it looks like they are stuck with movie games, so hopefully Disney/Marvel can make an awesome comic based game at some point in the future.

EDIT: Yeah, I can see why beating on one guy makes sense, but I like hopping around between enemies because it looks cool. Lol, and seems like something Spider-Man would do moreso than Batman (I imagine Batman would just take out one dude at a time, with crazy precision and speed).

Hopping around is the best way, because then you build up your combo metre faster and can pull off signature moves. Wailing on one guy and countering others makes combat slow.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
The PC version runs better than the original did on my AMD card. I haven't measured the fps or anything but it runs a lot smoother than tasm1 ever did for me.

I'm having fun with it so far but oh boy the character models are hideous. Spidey looks alright but everyone else so far looks terrible.

Runs worse for me. Everything maxed in ASM would be a smooth 60, so I forced even more AA. ASM2 is all over the places. Swinging around the city makes the framerate bounce between 30 and 60, probably averaging about 50 fps. It really isn't pretty enough for that to be reasonable. I still have to play around with it, though. Downsampling seems better than their in-game AA, but gave me screen-tearing even with vsync on. I'll check out D3Doverrider later.

Chairhome

So far, the 1st game seems like it looked better than this one, but I've only played about 5 min.

PC question: Does anyone know why my game crashes to desktop every once in a while? I had this problem on the first ASM and now its happening again here.

Soooo, for the people who have already played it, do you guys think the whole left/right web-swinging system is just superfluous?

Sometimes yes, whenever you push the left or right trigger there is a little bit of a lean in the direction you pushed, but you can also go straight. Where it really helps is when you want to take a corner fast, if you time it right, the trigger you push will help you take the corner in a sharper turn.

Sometimes yes, whenever you push the left or right trigger there is a little bit of a lean in the direction you pushed, but you can also go straight. Where it really helps is when you want to take a corner fast, if you time it right, the trigger you push will help you take the corner in a sharper turn.

Yes! I love how the alternating swings makes corners a breeze and fun. Also it really helps when carving through between buildings or from low to high structures. I am really happy with the swinging.

Yes! I love how the alternating swings makes corners a breeze and fun. Also it really helps when carving through between buildings or from low to high structures. I am really happy with the swinging.

Same here very surprised by it, after watching some streams I thought it would be difficult to use, but I haven't had issues.

Awesome. I was hoping it would work that way. If Beenox mixed this with the physics of Spider-man 2 then they'd have the perfect system. They need to nerf web-rush though. And give us a new environment already, New York is getting stale.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Here's a quick and dirty clip I took with Shadowplay. This is with all in-game settings maxed. It's hard to tell if my framerate dips are coming across, since it's Youtube. There are moments where the webs connect to nothing, but they at least make you wait until you're below streetlights to swing.

The swinging is a step up from ASM, but it's still missing some stuff. I love the sense of weight. It really manages to convey the feeling of hurling yourself around on a string. It requires more input than ASM, and that makes it feel more rewarding when you build up speed and height (I ignore the existence of web rush when swinging around the city). It's missing everything but the basics, though. Pushing both triggers does absolutely nothing, which seems like a wasted opportunity. Instead, you can just press jump while midair to lift yourself a few feet with crossed webs. There's no slingshots or anything. No launching yourself up the side of a building and flying straight up into the air. No gaining speed by putting your feet forward. It's very barebones. Press LT to go to the left, RT to go to the right.

DrBo42

Here's a quick and dirty clip I took with Shadowplay. This is with all in-game settings maxed. It's hard to tell if my framerate dips are coming across, since it's Youtube. There are moments where the webs connect to nothing, but they at least make you wait until you're below streetlights to swing.

The swinging is a step up from ASM, but it's still missing some stuff. I love the sense of weight. It really manages to convey the feeling of hurling yourself around on a string. It requires more input than ASM, and that makes it feel more rewarding when you build up speed and height (I ignore the existence of web rush when swinging around the city). It's missing everything but the basics, though. Pushing both triggers does absolutely nothing, which seems like a wasted opportunity. Instead, you can just press jump while midair to lift yourself a few feet with crossed webs. There's no slingshots or anything. No launching yourself up the side of a building and flying straight up into the air. No gaining speed by putting your feet forward. It's very barebones. Press LT to go to the left, RT to go to the right.
You need to get some upgrades, Flossy.

zeeaykay

Does anyone know if you can run on the sides of buildings and leap off while you're web swinging? Something like: Web swing > Jump onto side of building > Run on side of building > Jump > Web swing.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah the other trigger turns into a boost depending on which arm you're swinging from. Among other things.

That makes me hopeful. I didn't see any section for swinging upgrades in the menu, so I guess it's one of the locked ones?

DrBo42

That makes me hopeful. I didn't see any section for swinging upgrades in the menu, so I guess it's one of the locked ones?

Yeah the upgrade presentation is ass. You won't know what's included until you unlock it.

Does anyone know if you can run on the sides of buildings and leap off while you're web swinging? Something like: Web swing > Jump onto side of building > Run on side of building > Jump > Web swing.

Maintaining a web line while wall running is in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODnpPepkylY#t=48

I'm glad the left/right swing system is there, so I can simply not use one trigger when there isn't any buildings on one side, so I don't have to endure the shitty air-swinging displayed here.

jholmes

I have this preordered and Amazon is apparently still debating whether to ship it or not. Gee whiz, guys! I'd have just gone to the store and cancelled it but I got a pretty decent price on it (for Canada).

Nah I just read it poorly. Yeah that chain of movement can be completed but not as smoothly as SM2, the sprint charged jump is absent here.

Yeah, like others have said there is boost, slingshots and more. There is no charge metre for the jump, but it does depend on how long you hold it down for.

Rappelling is in too!

Yeah, like others have said there is boost, slingshots and more. There is no charge metre for the jump, but it does depend on how long you hold it down for.

Rappelling is in too!

Can you "hold" your jump by pressing the jump button against a wall? Is grabing traffic lights/flagpoles and swinging around them in?

Can you "hold" your jump by pressing the jump button against a wall? Is grabing traffic lights/flagpoles and swinging around them in?

Not sure what you meant exactly about holding the jump against a wall, like hanging there? Not sure exactly.

You can't swing around poles but you can rappel down them and use web rush as a launching point for continuous movement.

Eggbok

Could be just me but the swinging/combat is worse compared to the first one. All the web blast and body wraps in combat are nearly non-existent. And the final boss fight was SO disappointing.

The Carnage clones didn't even attack me, they just stood there....

Certinty

Anyone completed the story yet? If so what's the length of it like? I've heard someone say it could be completed in 4 hours.

Just opened the Wii U version, no real impressions yet but wanted to pop in and say the gamepad does nothing but display the map and options when paused.

Had the ps3 version since last week because i was thinking about getting the ps4 version, game had potential, but they stopped well short of reaching it.

Played it once and then went back to playing Metal Gear (msx version) on psvita.

Will buy when bargain bin/ps+ sale.

Somethings i noticed:

Combat is redundant(enemies are easily taken down, and i was playing in hard mode)
Swinging has potential, not as flexible as SM2, (particularly swinging between buildings and swining from high buildings to low buildings)
Story was pretty streamlined from what i played (why are we still worried about uncle bens killer?)
Gfx mediocre
Upgrades were ok but not very robust.
Stealth mode was a nice addition
Game is does alot of little spidey things i like (being able to hang from ceilings,perch on walls, webslingshot, slide behind cars (like in the movies) as you try to subdue them, public perception changes as you do/dont do random missions)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Had the ps3 version since last week (argh matey ;-) )because i was thinking about getting the ps4 version, game had potential, but they stopped well short of reaching it.

Played it once and then went back to playing Metal Gear (msx version) on psvita.

Will buy when bargain bin/ps+ sale.
;-)

You must be new here. Don't even hint about piracy.

Quite interested to see what people think of this. Thinking of grabbing the PS4 version. Do we reckon it'll be an easy Plat?

Not sure what you meant exactly about holding the jump against a wall, like hanging there? Not sure exactly.

You can't swing around poles but you can rappel down them and use web rush as a launching point for continuous movement.

Haha sorry, it's late here and I'm not all there. I meant walljumping off the side of a building. In Web of Shadows you could walljump immediately or hold down the jump button to stick to the wall and "pause" the walljump.

It's a shame about the poles, I loved breaking a low arc, grabing one and launching upwards. I guess I'll adapt to the web rush mechanic.

Thanks for the answers!

GavinUK86

Hate to be blunt but the games crap. Unfortunately. It does have Stan Lee in it though. Excelsior!

x3TWgVv.png

And wow was that guy banned fast.

JayEH

Edited OT to say that Xbox One Digital version is live. Weird situation.

One of two situations must have happened right?

1. Activision paid MS a bunch of money to let them release. Or

2. MS wanted to save face and let Activision release a broken game.

Top Bottom