• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I liked the first one, it was alright. Hoping this one is at least as good (still waiting for a sale tho)

icespide

Banned
about 2 hours into the PS4 version and to me it's just as good as the first one. swinging is definitely better. graphically it doesn't look SUPER AMAZING but it's pretty sharp and spidey looks good

I've been playing this all day now, just let my son have at it for a couple hours while I watched.

I am hooked, loving everything about it. Story and presentation/UI is awful, but I am enjoying everything else.

Will further impressions tomorrow, I've posted my web swinging impressions a few pages back.

New screens:
AkiBPnJ.jpg

dIDClJ0.jpg

0aLoz3T.jpg

Xander51

I'm kinda bummed that the UI in this looks worst than in the first one, I liked the little phone animation and screen shattering effects in that game. This new game looks rushed for sure.

Amazing how fast he was banned.

Spectacular lack of foresight.

Neh, he was ignorant of that rule which is another can of worms altogether)
and of course people happy to see an ignorant person get banned will enjoy quoting the post for posterity. Nothing more.
Had it not been quoted, the clean up would have been fine.

Rnr1224

on amazing settings, im running into some dips in FPS when swinging through the city. On the ground it stays at 60 so its not too bad.

Korezo

I've been playing this all day now, just let my son have at it for a couple hours while I watched.

I am hooked, loving everything about it. Story and presentation/UI is awful, but I am enjoying everything else.

Will further impressions tomorrow, I've posted my web swinging impressions a few pages back.

New screens:
AkiBPnJ.jpg

dIDClJ0.jpg

0aLoz3T.jpg

Are these pc screens? Looks amazing on my phone.

TimFL

I'm kinda bummed that the UI in this looks worst than in the first one, I liked the little phone animation and screen shattering effects in that game. This new game looks rushed for sure.

Well there was a lot of feedback from fans regarding this. A lot of people hated the clunky phone map and the screen displaying your health, almost everyone requested a smoother map UI that doesn't bother you too much and a healthbar instead of the screen being your healthbar. Beenox listened, cycle repeats with people requesting the TASM1 HUD haha.

I can't run the game on maxed out settings with my rig, kind of sad. Is it related to V-Sync?

Teddified

Jeez one of the cutscenes I just got seems to be either horribly compressed or a lower resolution. The one with
Osborn and Fisk

How about Spidey's body movement during cutscenes? What the hell is going on there? It's like he has severe ADD and can't keep himself from fidgeting...

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah it's kinda great. When I first saw it, it was like WTF?!? Now it's just kinda funny.

Peter hanging out on the rooftop while listening to the spider tracer was really good. I'd love for the game to have more moments like that. Just Peter hanging out, being Spider-Man.

Anyone else slightly uncomfortable with Parker basically wiretapping that entire cell tower? I like the scene (here), but it doesn't seem very Spidey-like. Bugging a dispatch, fine. He's listening to civilian phone conversations, though. I'm not upset about it or anything, it just seemed really out of character. There's also a line of ambient dialogue where he talks about how he wishes he could have minions. Spider-Man might be evil.

Peter hanging out on the rooftop while listening to the spider tracer was really good. I'd love for the game to have more moments like that. Just Peter hanging out, being Spider-Man.

Anyone else slightly uncomfortable with Parker basically wiretapping that entire cell tower? I like the scene (here), but it doesn't seem very Spidey-like. Bugging a dispatch, fine. He's listening to civilian phone conversations, though. I'm not upset about it or anything, it just seemed really out of character. There's also a line of ambient dialogue where he talks about how he wishes he could have minions. Spider-Man might be evil.

Dammit. Otto hasn't even been introduced in this universe yet!

Yeah. About on par with the first. It's like Beenox don't quite know what to do with Spider-Man lately. I quite liked Shattered Dimensions.
I loved Shattered Dimensions. But for every one person who enjoyed that game, it seems like there were ten more who were crying about it not being open world. And so here we are.

Still interested in this one though. Will probably pick it up when it goes on sale. Question though: are the Gamestop costumes truly exclusive, or can they be unlocked in game?

wowzors

Anyone else have a bug where the game got all hazy? I don't know how I did it but basically a haze overlay was like a filter over the game. Had to completely quit the game and restart for the hze to go away.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Dammit. Otto hasn't even been introduced in this universe yet!

I kinda hate posting screenshots due to how many jaggies there are, but this is the only way I can get a constant 60 fps. I have a decent PC. Hopefully we'll get a patch or a driver update. The game shouldn't perform this badly, given the very average graphics.

Here's another screenshot that shouldn't be too much of a spoiler because it's in the first hour or so of the game, but I don't want to ruin a cool surprise. You've been warned.

Unai

PC. It's a mess. Frame rate is everywhere. Tried changing everything, which is annoying because it's all done outside the game.

Yep. I just tried with everything turned off or in lowest settings possible, running on a freaking titan, and it is still horrible.

I`m going to cap it at 30 to see if it gets better.

Edit: I caped it at 30, but I can't stand playing an action game at 30 frames per second anymore. :(

Edit 2: I think I'm going to ask for a refund.

I kinda hate posting screenshots due to how many jaggies there are, but this is the only way I can get a constant 60 fps. I have a decent PC. Hopefully we'll get a patch or a driver update. The game shouldn't perform this badly, given the very average graphics.

Here's another screenshot that shouldn't be too much of a spoiler because it's in the first hour or so of the game, but I don't want to ruin a cool surprise. You've been warned.

Welp, lol

AtmanRising

Neo Member
Oh, god, I had repressed those memories! Damn you!

I hated that fricking kid. Five months, 8-12 hours a day, grabbing balloons for kids, crawling on every surface to make sure there were no map holes or invisible collision, and replaying the same game hundreds of times. By the end of the project, we could beat the game in less than 3 hours, and complete all of the web race challenges with our eyes closed, even the incredibly hard final race. We were fucking web-swinging masters by the end. I was so annoyed when USM ditched the swinging mechanic, and then every game afterward ignored it. It was probably the closest game to making you feel like you were swinging through the city.

ASM2 does not have that weight to Spider-Man, which is disappointing.

I was at Activision in 2005/2006. They used SM2 to train testers. I only stayed in the dungeon for a couple days, though: I was soon assigned to the Quake 4 PC team.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think people go to the word "crap" as a descriptor for games they don't like way too quickly. To the point where the word loses its impact.

I've played truly crap games. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. Legacy of Kain 2: Blood Omen. Batman Beyond. Superman 64. Those games are truly failures of game design in every way, from visuals, to controls, to story, to level design.

I'm not a fan of Activision by a long shot, as I've said many times before, but ASM2 is not a "crap" game by any reasonable metric. When it comes to how I evaluate games, I look at things like controls, game/level design, visuals, audio, story. A game isn't just one of those elements, but all of those elements combined. One of my favorite games of all time has pretty iffy controls (Shadow of the Colossus), but excels at everything else to the point where that doesn't matter.

I played ASM2 for a few more hours today (from about 7:30 to 10:30), and it isn't a crap game in my opinion.

Graphically, the game is low bar for this current generation. Its a cross gen title, but other cross gen titles, that have infinitely more scope than ASM2 are better in the visuals department, like Assassin's Creed IV.

Control wise, the game controls as well as any other third person action game not developed by a console first party. That is to say, it's not as smooth and responsive as a God of War, but Spider-Man does what you intend for him to do the vast majority of the time. The camera is the real problem here, especially in combat situations. Moving around the city is fine, but in combat, it can be problematic by not being where it needs to be for optimum fighting. Swinging around is surprisingly satisfying, and loads better than the previous title, even if it doesn't have that SM2 physics.

Game design: it's a by the numbers open world and Spider-Man game. Nothing ground-breaking here. Roam around, complete side missions, find collectibles, do story missions. Variety is lacking in this area, which is a problem, but what's there is enjoyable enough. I feel it suffers from the same thing inFAMOUS: Second Son did, in that the side stuff just isn't compelling. It's busy work to pad the length of the game. The game loop in ASM2 is fine, it's not a broken loop, it's just limited and needs diversity (much like Second Son).

Sound: The musical score is ok, but the voice acting is pretty bad. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the mediocre script and voice direction, but it's just not very good. Line delivery is often over the top, or not emphasized enough. "CK" and Aunt May stand out the most as being pretty terrible. Peter/Spider-Man is alright, but inconsistent.

The game is slightly above average, but not by much. Hardly crap. That should be reserved for games that are truly bad and badly designed. There is some enjoyment to be had if you are a Spider-Man fan. Non-Spider-Man fans should stay away, there's just nothing here for you.

tl;dr: If you're going to call something "crap," please at least explain why you think it's crap. The same applies to something you fine "awesome." I don't find one word, one off criticisms very helpful.

EDIT:

I was at Activision in 2005/2006. They used SM2 to train testers. I only stayed in the dungeon for a couple days, though: I was soon assigned to the Quake 4 PC team.

Haha. Same, got put on X-Men Legends.

Lol! Small QA world. After Spider-Man 2, I moved on to X-Men Legends night shift, and was on a few more projects before I was finally let go (Doom 3, The Movies, I was the localization Floor Lead for the Gamecube version of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events), Madagascar, Quake 4, etc, etc. I've worked on a bunch of titles at ATVI. I can't say I look back at that time fondly. The best place I ever worked for not counting my current gig at Capcom was Obsidian. Those guys were awesome, and I miss working with them. Fun environment, and Feargus and Chris Avellone were great people to chat with.

I loved Shattered Dimensions. But for every one person who enjoyed that game, it seems like there were ten more who were crying about it not being open world. And so here we are.

Still interested in this one though. Will probably pick it up when it goes on sale. Question though: are the Gamestop costumes truly exclusive, or can they be unlocked in game?

One of the 4 cannot be bought yet, otherwise they are $2 a piece as DLC. So you get about $8 of suits for free.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Well, I did not find the movie to have anything to do with the Spider-man comics I have read for about 20 years or so, it is only fitting the movie tie-in for the game does the same thing hehe ;).

Scapegoat

For the people who have played both Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 - does the web swinging and combat "feel" the same physics wise? I know the slinging has more depth with choosing left and right, and needing something to attach too - but would you say the physics and movement of the swings feel the same? Does he still automatically let go? Or can you keep holding and swing backwards? Can you swing kick out of it to get more momentum? Can you shoot two webs at once and swing straight forward?

DrBo42

For the people who have played both Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 - does the web swinging and combat "feel" the same physics wise? I know the slinging has more depth with choosing left and right, and needing something to attach too - but would you say the physics and movement of the swings feel the same? Does he still automatically let go? Or can you keep holding and swing backwards? Can you swing kick out of it to get more momentum? Can you shoot two webs at once and swing straight forward?

In this one you can hold the line and end up swinging backwards but the physics aren't on SM2's level. Hilarious and sad but true. Letting go of the line at an upward angle or using the boost (via swing off-hand after upgrade) acts as the kick but again the physics aren't quite there and the animations are a little disappointing. The start of the swing usually has spider-man almost completely horizontal which makes low height swinging look really out of place. There's no consideration for height at start of swing or urgency of it, like there's always a ton of slack in the line.

Top Bottom