• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

Rnr1224

my love of spidey compelled me to buy it. i really liked the first game so heres hoping i will enjoy this one as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm about to buy Web of Shadows on PS3.
Aside from the horrid Sonic sounding voice of SM, is there anything I should know?

Luke Cage teaches you how to be Spiderman. Wolverine asks you Marvel trivia questions during a fight. It's a lousy Spiderman game. Anything else?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
how many times did you have to listen to "I LOOOOST MY BAALLLOOOOOON"?

Oh, god, I had repressed those memories! Damn you!

I hated that fricking kid. Five months, 8-12 hours a day, grabbing balloons for kids, crawling on every surface to make sure there were no map holes or invisible collision, and replaying the same game hundreds of times. By the end of the project, we could beat the game in less than 3 hours, and complete all of the web race challenges with our eyes closed, even the incredibly hard final race. We were fucking web-swinging masters by the end. I was so annoyed when USM ditched the swinging mechanic, and then every game afterward ignored it. It was probably the closest game to making you feel like you were swinging through the city.

ASM2 does not have that weight to Spider-Man, which is disappointing.

Grimløck;109915777 said:
spiderman6bkvv.gif

LMAO!!

Can some tell me if there is a real day/night cycle now or are they still doing that hub bullshit?

Its just like inFamous Second Son and The Amazing Spider-Man 1, certain times of the day/weather for points in progression.

At the end of TASM1 you could change it at will after you beat it. Hopefully the same for the sequel.

Its just like inFamous Second Son and The Amazing Spider-Man 1, certain times of the day/weather for points in progression.

At the end of TASM1 you could change it at will after you beat it. Hopefully the same for the sequel.

Heard you can change it, but only by going to Aunt Mays house and exiting I think. About to go pick this game up right now.

IQ seems pretty good.

Frame rate is decent too, goes above 30fps at times.

Anyone able to redeem their Web Threads GameStop DLC yet? My code doesn't work, likely need to wait for the PSN update? I called EB and bitched and they are looking into it too.

I will post more in depth impressions soon, still playing. I like the web swinging so far, much better than in the 1st, nowhere near SM2 but better than WoS.

Just got review code PS4 version. Will start a video walkthrough tommorrow and get some impressions up! I was a fan of the previous Amazing Spiderman much to my surprise so going into this hoping it at least lives up to that.

Heard you can change it, but only by going to Aunt Mays house and exiting I think. About to go pick this game up right now.

Yes, in TASM1 you had to go back to Stan's Apartment. Aunt May's is your home in this one. I haven't beat it yet so I don't know if you can change it after you compete the game in this one, I sure hope so!

TimFL

Beenox confirmed that you can't change the time of day at will, it's being changed randomly every time you exit your safehouse.

Nymphae

Banned
I like the web swinging so far, much better than in the 1st, nowhere near SM2 but better than WoS.

Looking forward to hearing some more of your impressions. I remain skeptical that the swinging is better than it was in WoS, especially if the "webs don't really attach to anything in particular" system is back in place.

Beenox confirmed that you can't change the time of day at will, it's being changed randomly every time you exit your safehouse.

Well shit! Thats annoying, and it changes randomly during the game itself? Or after you beat it? I haven't noticed yet.

Looking forward to hearing some more of your impressions. I remain skeptical that the swinging is better than it was in WoS, especially if the "webs don't really attach to anything in particular" system is back in place.

The deal breaker for WoS type of web swinging was how god awful the camera was, trying to readjust while swinging and such. Really made it hard to do precision slinging.

You can keep your momentum going with the web rush mode spots you choose, so you can actually chain web swinging with web rush a lot better now, before it seemed so disjointed and halted your movement and transition at times.

Comic books seem more difficult to find now too, yay!

TimFL

Well shit! Thats annoying, and it changes randomly during the game itself? Or after you beat it? I haven't noticed yet.

If you're still doing story missions you have the set time for that individual story mission. After you're done it starts to change randomly every time you exist your safehouse (not during freeroaming, just when you go back to NYC via the loading screen).

Frame rate is decent too, goes above 30fps at times.

Anyone able to redeem their Web Threads GameStop DLC yet? My code doesn't work, likely need to wait for the PSN update? I called EB and bitched and they are looking into it too.

I will post more in depth impressions soon, still playing. I like the web swinging so far, much better than in the 1st, nowhere near SM2 but better than WoS.

My code isn't working too.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Screens from my first 1.5 hours with the game. PS4 version.

WG31MTr.jpg

FzitzaG.jpg

K1TwHlt.jpg

The bottom screen doesn't look too bad, but the top two...UGH. Some color would be nice. A city should be lit up with signs. And the streets need some attention. Hopefully they drop old gen hardware with the next title.

They barely touched the buildings in Web Of Shadows though. Seriously, you guys need to go back and play that game, the web-swinging is bad

Comic books seem more difficult to find now too, yay!

Lol, that's because there is only 300 of them now. There were 700 in the first game.

They barely touched the buildings in Web Of Shadows though. Seriously, you guys need to go back and play that game, the web-swinging is bad

Lol, that's because there is only 300 of them now. There were 700 in the first game.

Awww really? Damn, I got all of them last time.

Also, once again WoS had a horrible camera that made the mechanics of web swinging, while solid, a total mess.

Nymphae

Banned

I don't really care if the web actually touches the side of a building or not, what matters is that you need to consider the direction and speed that you're moving, and that the direction you shoot your web matters. The web swinging was awesome in that game.

Hip Hop

wtf.

there are zero pedestrians. the traffic is really static too.

wtf 2.

insane framedrops. from 60 to 30 in a second. It seems like the framerate is capped on PC as well.

hawk2025

This is exactly ASM1 with better swinging mechanics (unlock boosting upgrade ASAP for extra fun).

Combat is shitty, but I'm strangely satisfied with the purchase -- buy it if you really want a Spider-Man game, don't buy it for a polished or great looking game.

Seems locked at 30 on the PS4, but don't quote me on that.

Certinty

The thing with Spider-Man games is as good as inFamous Second Son and the Batman Arkham games, Spider-Man games no matter how crap are always a lot more fun for me, i'm sure a few others might feel the same.

Deepo

PC version is dipping to around 40FPS maxed out.

1920x1080
Windows 8.1
I5 3570K@4.4Ghz
GTX 690
32GB RAM@2400Mhz
Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD

Seems fun enough though. And I can't believe the mileage Activision have gotten out of that one New York map! Feels so familar :)

Nymphae

Banned
The thing with Spider-Man games is as good as inFamous Second Son and the Batman Arkham games, Spider-Man games no matter how crap are always a lot more fun for than them for me, i'm sure a few others might feel the same.

Ditto. As long as the swing mechanics aren't complete garbage, I usually have a blast just moving around the city now and then. I'll probably buy this this week even though impressions aren't fantastic.

Rnr1224

The thing with Spider-Man games is as good as inFamous Second Son and the Batman Arkham games, Spider-Man games no matter how crap are always a lot more fun for me, i'm sure a few others might feel the same.

I agree. Even though they aren't amazing games, they do a great job of making me feel like I am spiderman

Gameplay:

The big one. The combat is ripped straight out of the Batman Arkham games, just like the last one. If you liked that type of combat, then you may like this. I actually love the Arkham games, so I don't mind. The problems being that it's just not as fluid, visceral, and responsive as the Arkham games. The camera us a nusiance in combat, however. There's no lock on as far as I've discovered, so it's easy to lose track of enemies when jumping between them. There also doesn't seem to be a way to recenter the camera behind Spidey, but perhaps I just haven't figured it out.

From what i seen and played of the first one, these games are more akin to sleeping dogs or other brawlers where you focus on one guy and button mash, while occasionally counter other guys vs batman which is about pingponging back and forth between enemies no?

Here are my web swinging impressions:

This is for free roam only, because when in enclosed areas or a part of the city for a linear mission, they completely take away the physics and its just a basic straight swing like in TASM1, not a big deal because I am not worried about that type of gameplay when you are mainly focused on combat. It isn't a deal breaker for me since you don't spend that much time web swinging within missions.

If it is a mission taking place in the free roam environment, like chasing down the Green Goblin or his bombs for example, it uses the excellent free roam swinging.

Yes excellent. It is fantastic, the first indication that this was good swinging was the feeling that getting height takes some work and precision. Unlike in the cloud swinging game like TASM1 where you are above buildings most of the time, which made getting height something that is easily achievable.

Using each trigger for each hand allows for a new rhythm while swinging that feels great, using the left stick to aim your shot works very well. The physics of the web sticking isn't perfect, there is at least 1 time every half hour while swinging about that I said to myself "where the hell is that web sticking to?", but it wasn't often. Using the boost really makes the swinging feel like SM2, which used the boost to get your height. Slingshots are excellent too, and are a great way to cover some distance.

I am very happy with the web slinging, I dare say its better than WoS (the camera in WoS kills it for me), and has a lot of inspiration from SM2, which is good.

Use of the web rush mechanic can smoothly be used with web swinging as you can hold down on the left stick to keep your momentum, allowing Spider-Man (the hyphen is important!) to web rush to the side of a building to jump off and swing, very slick. In TASM1 it was very jarring to use web rush during swinging at it usually left you perched somewhere and did not transition well.

I have not gotten all the web swinging upgrades yet, so I can't say there isn't more to provide impressions about, I will update as we go. For me this is the best part of Spider-Man games and they nailed it really well. Very happy, best since SM2 but not as good as SM2.

Top Bottom