• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

Reknoc

Picked this up on a whim and played a bit of it. Swinging feels really good. Everything else is decent enough. Only problem I have is Spider-man jittering around in cutscenes like a child on sugar, its like christ spider-man stand still for a second but he's all "NO I MUST MOVE I MUST CRAWL ON THIS WALL AROUND A DUDE FOR NO GOOD REASON AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

SFenton

Picked this up on a whim and played a bit of it. Swinging feels really good. Everything else is decent enough. Only problem I have is Spider-man jittering around in cutscenes like a child on sugar, its like christ spider-man stand still for a second but he's all "NO I MUST MOVE I MUST CRAWL ON THIS WALL AROUND A DUDE FOR NO GOOD REASON AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

My problem is the Mass Effect-style dialog choices.
They just don't flow together at all.

The bottom screen doesn't look too bad, but the top two...UGH. Some color would be nice. A city should be lit up with signs. And the streets need some attention. Hopefully they drop old gen hardware with the next title.

Exactly.

The city at night look unacceptable for Xbone/PS4. During the day is not as bad, but still bad imo.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
From what i seen and played of the first one, these games are more akin to sleeping dogs or other brawlers where you focus on one guy and button mash, while occasionally counter other guys vs batman which is about pingponging back and forth between enemies no?

Personally, I don't see much difference between the combat of Sleeping Dogs, Batman, Spider-Man, and Assassin's Creed in that regard.

From the hour I played of ASM2 today, I was pingponging between enemies as they posed threats to me. I usually don't just wail on one guy until he drops in any of the above mentioned games. I'm always moving between them, because I have more fun doing it that way.

Thanks for the write up!

No problem! I didn't get to play it long enough to have some real in depth thoughts on it. The game isn't garbage, it's just typical, "Activision Bare Minimum" effort. Spidey deserves better, but this is what we're stuck with for now.

Personally, I don't see much difference between the combat of Sleeping Dogs, Batman, Spider-Man, and Assassin's Creed in that regard.

From the hour I played of ASM2 today, I was pingponging between enemies as they posed threats to me. I usually don't just wail on one guy until he drops in any of the above mentioned games. I'm always moving between them, because I have more fun doing it that way.

Same here.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes excellent. It is fantastic, the first indication that this was good swinging was the feeling that getting height takes some work and precision. Unlike in the cloud swinging game like TASM1 where you are above buildings most of the time, which made getting height something that is easily achievable.

Using each trigger for each hand allows for a new rhythm while swinging that feels great, using the left stick to aim your shot works very well. The physics of the web sticking isn't perfect, there is at least 1 time every half hour while swinging about that I said to myself "where the hell is that web sticking to?", but it wasn't often. Using the boost really makes the swinging feel like SM2, which used the boost to get your height. Slingshots are excellent too, and are a great way to cover some distance.

I am very happy with the web slinging, I dare say its better than WoS (the camera in WoS kills it for me), and has a lot of inspiration from SM2, which is good.

Use of the web rush mechanic can smoothly be used with web swinging as you can hold down on the left stick to keep your momentum, allowing Spider-Man (the hyphen is important!) to web rush to the side of a building to jump off and swing, very slick. In TASM1 it was very jarring to use web rush during swinging at it usually left you perched somewhere and did not transition well.

I have not gotten all the web swinging upgrades yet, so I can't say there isn't more to provide impressions about, I will update as we go. For me this is the best part of Spider-Man games and they nailed it really well. Very happy, best since SM2 but not as good as SM2.

Thanks for the write-up, I am really digging the sound of that. I had no idea about the L/R hand thing, that sounds like an interesting change that could really make the swinging more immersive. I'm surprised we've never seen something like that until now, it's always just one button to swing which isn't really that complex or interesting.

Reknoc

My problem is the Mass Effect-style dialog choices.
They just don't flow together at all.

yes it feels like some weird low budget euro jank. though it's made more amusing by imagine spider-man screaming internally and shaking in anticipation for when he speaks and can flail around wildly again.

I have not watched amazing spider-man and i probably wont watch 2 anytime soon, so I have no idea if ADHD sugar kid spider-man is accurate to the movies.

SFenton

yes it feels like some weird low budget euro jank. though it's made more amusing by imagine spider-man screaming internally and shaking in anticipation for when he speaks and can flail around wildly again.

I have not watched amazing spider-man and i probably wont watch 2 anytime soon, so I have no idea if ADHD sugar kid spider-man is accurate to the movies.

Though I hated TASM and I'm going into TASM2 with a ton of trepidation, no, he's not like that in the movies. Garfield really does feel like a comic-like Spider-Man. The games, not so much.

Possibly already been brought up, but I'm showing the PS4 version at $50 (US) on Amazon

It has, but good to repost on launch day.

No dice in Canada, I picked it up for $59.99 luckily (its $69.99 with the price hike recently) as I had it pre-ordered from awhile ago.

Loving this black suit!

played a few minutes of it on Steam. The gameplay itself seems fun. Webswinging is great, combat is good but is different enough from Arkham that it takes a bit of getting used to.

Biggest issue I have is the framerate. While it was fairly consistently 60 frames for the most part, it drops to 30 when webswinging, which is a big disappointment. My graphics aren't even maxed out yet.

Nintendad

BmaLFwlIMAEbD70.jpg:large

BmaMLUMIAAAFKk5.jpg:large

If you look close enough you can see a person in the trunk of the taxi.

Just got my Steam code from gameladen. It's $ 21.48 right now (fuckers dropped the price a dollar). I have no idea if the EU code is region-locked though, as I am at work. http://www.gameladen.com/the-amazing-spider-man-2.html

I assume Activision will hold on to the movie game rights even though they lost the comic book ones. Which means we will probably get Venom and Sinister Six games which is awesome. If only Activision would invest a little more money and time into them *shakes fist*

One of Swords just posted this about the Xbox One version.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game is available on PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, Windows PC, and there's also a version for the Nintendo 3DS. The game is also available for download on Xbox One via Xbox Live today, and boxed copies of the game will be in retail stores in early May. I'll let you know the exact date copies will be available at retail as soon as I get the info.
http://www.oneofswords.com/communit...-2-video-game-is-available-today#.U1_v7vldW_h

I sw that in the early gameplay with him interoggating Herman Schults. Like, how in any way did he think he was being intimidating by crawling over the dude's head. Herman was just spilling everything though.

PC version is dipping to around 40FPS maxed out.

1920x1080
Windows 8.1
I5 3570K@4.4Ghz
GTX 690
32GB RAM@2400Mhz
Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD

Biggest issue I have is the framerate. While it was fairly consistently 60 frames for the most part, it drops to 30 when webswinging, which is a big disappointment. My graphics aren't even maxed out yet.

And suddenly I'm scared of how my GTX 770 will run this game. It sounds like once again an Activision PC game will be absolute murder for AMD cards, and a slightly better but still unoptimized mess on Nvidia hardware.

hmmmm besides arkham, which you can't really wail on one guy if you want to keep combo going, pretty much all games i tend to stick with 1 guy until they are gone.

my logic:

you will always be doing the same damage per second to the overall enemy group, but taking 1 guy out lowers their potential threat quicker than evenly dishing it out.

It's the fatal flaw of majority of games where a damaged baddie will still throw punches like them at their full health state >.<"

but it hardly matters in these games with the big obvious counter prompts so its just me rambling :p

So besides web swinging, any key difference in combat/stealth gameplay from asm1?

Actually pleasantly surprised, doesn't look great, but it runs smooth and has a nice clean look I dunno how to explain it really. All I have done so far is webswing and boy is it awesome, I think it's the best system since SM2 and it is pretty easy to maneuver around. I have no clue why in streams people seemed to have trouble with it, it's simple and easy to bank around corners and everything. Here's a shot I took facebook compression and all lol

10295149_10203842733527904_8325651023820186048_o.jpg

DrBo42

Actually pleasantly surprised, doesn't look great, but it runs smooth and has a nice clean look I dunno how to explain it really. All I have done so far is webswing and boy is it awesome, I think it's the best system since SM2 and it is pretty easy to maneuver around. I have no clue why in streams people seemed to have trouble with it, it's simple and easy to bank around corners and everything. Here's a shot I took facebook compression and all lol

10295149_10203842733527904_8325651023820186048_o.jpg

Game would look pretty great if the PC version was mod friendly.

is it bad that I'm mostly interested in the freeroam, there aren't enough supervillians to make me excited for the "boss" combat, but the serviceable web swinging and variety of heroic mission types will keep me at occupied for a long time!

Top Bottom