• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck driver :(

Paige really got it rough this episode, both parents were on her case. Her arc is kind of hilarious to me - growing up I went through a weirdly religious phase and definitely had zero appreciation for how easy my childhood was compared to that of my parents who were both born in Eastern Europe and lived through a Communist regime. Luckily though, both those things changed from me maturing, no midnight fridge cleanings or angry dad confronting pastor involved!

Man though, this was a heavy hitter from Matthew Rhys - and Keri Russell did a great job standing out even when it wasn't 'her' episode - I swear each episode just outdoes the last in terms of showing the acting chops of those two. Put me in a right dark place right along with Philip, watching this episode did.

Has there ever been a decent art print (like Mondo style print) of this show? I'd hunt one down in a heartbeat.

Phenomenal episode. I loved the atmosphere at the camp in the opening mission. The flares really lit it well. Again, credit to the show for humanizing our bad guys and showing the other side of how it feels a to do what they do.

My God, Matthew did a great job tonight. He's been through some shit this season and he finally lost it at Paige over the donations. The emotions came through in that scene. Excellent work by the three of them. Poor bible... And Paige got to see what being an adult is all about, so there's that too.

I honestly thought Philip was going there to either confess or steal a bible. I was completely wrong on both counts. I guess he needed to know for a fact that the guy was a true believer and not some fly by night preacher.

Damn good show and I thankful it exists.

Magnificent episode.

The op itself went by smoothly as they expected. The emotional ramifications that arose from it however were just astounding.

I was quite shocked to see Liz in an AA group meeting until I realised it was just part of yet another op. Great mix of truth and lies in that scene though, really added to the authenticity of it.

Phil, boy oh boy, he really had that bottled up for the longest time didn't he? You know shiet is going down when Mr Cool loses it.

This is actually the strictest I've seen Liz and Phil been with their offspring. I think the kids were never really subjected to the true meaning of household discipline to keep up the illusion of the picture perfect American family going. Physical/Corporal punishment in Soviet era households was definitely a common thing back then, American parents not so much. Kids get time outs, no video games for a week, or they get grounded. That midnight labour Liz subjected to Paige is probably the first taste of what is to come.

How did the truck driver die? Seemed to imply that they just left him there for a few hours...

Anyways, great episode. Philip is a pretty broken individual. :|

How did the truck driver die? Seemed to imply that they just left him there for a few hours...

Anyways, great episode. Philip is a pretty broken individual. :|

He froze to death, presumably. The death of the truck driver (yet another one in a long line of innocents that Phil killed, directly or indirectly) was probably the tipping point for Philip.

You have to give the Writers credit here.

The amount of depth these characters have is in a tier of their own. I don't even think BB comes close.

Ridiculously underrated. My god.

Linius

Damn, that opening scene was brilliant on all accounts. Philip has been killing unlucky 'bystanders' left and right these past few episodes. A story about spies but so family driven, it's just great television week after week. I wonder if it will come to Beeman vs. our Russians at some point. It must happen.

You have to give the Writers credit here.

The amount of depth these characters have is in a tier of their own. I don't even think BB comes close.

Ridiculously underrated. My god.
This. I can't imagine how they sold this. "we're going to write a story about KGB spies pretending to be Americans and the audience will care about them deeply."

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
When that fake marriage with the secretary blows up, man its gonna be a mess...

hell every character in this show is going somewhere dark and not pretty. Im staying fuckin tuned

I think the character who surprised me the most was Stan.

Let's be honest. Watch the first episode again. Did you REALLY think he'd be more than just "That FBI guy that'll die eventually"?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, great episode. The mission getting really messy, Phillip losing his shit on Paige, Stan being called out on his affair. Good stuff...

[Edit: Also, pretty sure that was Kyle from Parks and Rec as the first guy Beeman was interviewing.]

- NYT: Oliver North, Now in the Service of TV’s K.G.B. (minor spoilers for an upcoming episode that he consulted on)

igYi3wsMDJbaN.gif

Rehynn

I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys submitted this episode for consideration for an Emmy.

Also, I loved the last scene with Paige, you could totally feel that Elizabeth wasn't just scolding her, but America in general.

Rehynn

The latest episode cemented this show as the best on TV. I love Game of Thrones but Martial Eagle was Sopranos level good.

Yeah, this and Mad Men are definitely the best shows I've seen in a while. The Americans might even be more consistent than Mad Men.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys submitted this episode for consideration for an Emmy.

Also, I loved the last scene with Paige, you could totally feel that Elizabeth wasn't just scolding her, but America in general.

Said the same to my wife and she agreed. It's not just this episode either. He's on fire this season.

Interfectum

My wife and I are watching this show too... These characters have so much depth, probably as much as any show I've seen recently. Really well done.

And that last episode when he yelled at Paige, wow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel like we should have spent more time with Sandra throughout the season in order for that scene between her and Stan to have had maximum impact. But it was still a very effective scene.

Also, to echo what everyone else has already said: Matthew Rhys was very good this week.

Lots of people are watching it right now, especially in my school. Everyone’s been talking about it. All the girls are addicted.

Fascinating

Saty

Ashamed to admit, i completely blanked on S1 events and need a refreshment: How did Amador die? How was it discovered that the FBI are who killed Vlad? Who was Patterson?

Excellent episode.

Ashamed to admit, i completely blanked on S1 events and need a refreshment: How did Amador die? How was it discovered that the FBI are who killed Vlad? Who was Patterson?

Excellent episode.

If I recall these events correctly...

- Amador died when he confronted Clark/Phillip about why he was at Martha's since he was watching her house (I forget why) and was stabbed.

- I don't think its ever been proven that the FBI killed Vlad, but considering he turned up dead right after Amador most in the know would probably assume its an eye for an eye thing.

- Patterson was the head of the CIA (I think) he was the one responsible for killing Viktor Zukov, Claudia killed him in the s1 finale.

hom3land

- Amador died when he confronted Clark/Phillip about why he was at Martha's since he was watching her house (I forget why) and was stabbed.

- I don't think its ever been proven that the FBI killed Vlad, but considering he turned up dead right after Amador most in the know would probably assume its an eye for an eye thing.

- Patterson was the head of the CIA (I think) he was the one responsible for killing Viktor Zukov, Claudia killed him in the s1 finale.

- He was watching her house because he had feelings for her

- didn't the main FBI character kill Vlad?

I could be and probably am totally wrong..

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I feel like we should have spent more time with Sandra throughout the season in order for that scene between her and Stan to have had maximum impact. But it was still a very effective scene.
I think either way works. We could have seen more with her and come at the situation from his position. Instead we're more in Beeman's point of view and we're somewhat as blindsided as he is.

- He was watching her house because he had feelings for her

- didn't the main FBI character kill Vlad?

I could be and probably am totally wrong..

Beeman kidnapped Vlad and executed him in the hotel, after giving him a nice American cheeseburger. IIRC, he didn't yet know Amador was dead, but only missing.

Nina quizzed Stan about Vlad's murder, and she wasn't particularly convinced by his denial of FBI involvement. I'm not sure there's been anything more solid than that, but given the timing and everything, it's what makes the most sense for them to believe.

Patterson was CIA Director of Planning for the Soviet Union.

New episode tonight:
Yousaf

A new mission with international stakes; Stan makes a discovery that could put the FBI hot on the trail of Illegals.
Episode will run 10 minutes past the hour tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom