• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea where this show is going. And it's great.

I agree with the AV Club review on the question how long Philip can continue going on with this. He's juggling such a ridiculous amount of things. The Martha story is going to blow up soon. No way they can get a kid.

IronRinn

Yeah, if anything is gonna implode it will be Martha.

I still can't get over how well done that last scene was. This season has been ridiculously good so far.

"Sometimes."

That's the weed talking. Nah, it's the truth and we've seen nearly 2.5 seasons of it. Poor, poor Philip, his conscious works in mysterious ways.

Elizabeth killing the Northrop guy to get her sponsor the promotion was ice cold. Guy was a casualty of the spy game..

Edit:

Almost forgot the Flock of Seagulls song when Philip meets the girls. Should have run far away.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I couldn't help but notice a conspicuous Northrop [Grumman] commercial aired during this episode showing off various bombers.

This show is killing it. The best show not nearly enough people are watching. That "sometimes", awful for both of them.

IronRinn

I wonder if this whole thing with Kim, seeing what being kept in the dark has done to her, is going to push Philip onto the side of Elizabeth and the KGB.

I don't know, I mean if any show could do it well it would be this one, I just can't see the idea of involving Paige being anything but silly. Season 4 promo material being all "The family that spies together.." levels of cheesy.

Probably should just relax and see where they take it instead of trying to guess at what their plans are.

So I criticized what I thought was a slow start to this season but I've been riveted since. Every scene has just ratcheted up the tension, this show is currently executing at a near-flawless level. Though I am still hurt each time an episode goes by without any Nina.

Philippo

Both the scene where Philip and Kim plays around and when he has flashbacks where really disturbing.

I'd love to hear from Rhys what he thinks about flirting with a teenager (although she's at least 18 and they're acting), i'd feel very awkward.

jond76

Banned
If the KGB keeps pushing Phillip I expect him to start to consider defecting again. Phillip the double agent. That would be crazy.

CoolOff

Both the scene where Philip and Kim plays around and when he has flashbacks where really disturbing.

I'd love to hear from Rhys what he thinks about flirting with a teenager (although she's at least 18 and they're acting), i'd feel very awkward.

She's 21 even.

AngryMoth

Season has been kind of a slow burn so far but still riveting. I am shocked at how dark they are willing to take things.
It's jarring to hear Rhys speak in his native accent, forgot he wasn't american! As a fellow brit I know my ear isn't well tuned for this but he's gotta do one of the most convincing in the biz, right?
yeah he has a good one. Hugh Laurie is still the best though.

IronRinn

Season has been kind of a slow burn so far but still riveting. I am shocked at how dark they are willing to take things.

It's jarring to hear Rhys speak in his native accent, forgot he wasn't american! As a fellow brit I know my ear isn't well tuned for this but he's gotta do one of the most convincing in the biz, right?

As an American what I've noticed is the more "accent-less" the person's English, the more likely it will be that the actor is a Brit doing an American accent. Rhys definitely has that. He sounds American but I would never be able to tell from where in America. Still, it's a huge difference to hear him in interviews with that Welsh accent in full effect.

Blader

This show is too good. As great as Keri Russell and Noah Emmerich are, I think Matthews Rhys is consistently putting in the best performances -- the guy delivers so much in just a stare.

IronRinn

The ratings are down to a 0.19 demo. Link John Landgraf over at FX is probably more nervous than Phillip with the 15 year old.

Ugh, I just saw this. Maaaaaan, I really hope they get to end this show the way they have (I assume) planned to. Whether it be on FX or on something like Netflix.

Wow wow wow wow wow.

That was my favorite episode of the season and one of my favorites of the series.

Phillip is just heart breaking at this point and the character is a fascinating study in male vulnerability and the performance of masculinity-- really juicy and interesting stuff going on with him and Rhys's performance nails every little detail. He's really just stunning in this.

I can't wait to see what happens but my gut tells me, he's on the way out of the KGB...

Cable doesn't play by the same rules as Network shows. There's no chance this show will be cut early. None.

Depending on what you mean by cut early I'm not sure I agree. With the ratings dropping so precipitously I could see FX giving it one more short season to finish the story, which would fall far short of the five-year plan the show supposedly has. I'd consider that cutting it early.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it runs the full five seasons, though I'm not sure what the upside of that really is for FX since the show probably isn't making them any money and will almost certainly never win any major awards.

I guess it could go either way.

Catdaddy

Cable doesn't play by the same rules as Network shows. There's no chance this show will be cut early. None.

I haven't checked, does this get a decent bump from DVR/On-Demand viewing? That's the way watch it.

IMO, this episode was one of the best of the series, nice seeing them focus on Phillip and his women juggling. So far they've handled the Kimberly arc really well especially when she tells him about her parents being gone so much and mirrors his own daughters, interested to see how this plays out...

It has to be creepy for him as a character and actor, but as Elizabeth said CIA is a hard target..

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah i thought so.
Still, he's playing a 30+ years old man unwillingly starting a relationship with a teenager, i wonder how he feels while acting.

In the podcast he talks about how he thought the storyline was super awkward and uncomfortable, and then he realized Philip would be feeling the same way so he could roll that right into the performance.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I haven't checked, does this get a decent bump from DVR/On-Demand viewing? That's the way watch it.

It typically gets a HUGE bump in L+3/L+7, yeah. FX doesn't even acknowledge L+SD ratings any more so talking about them is sort of pointless when trying to seriously gauge how well they consider a show to be doing.

The show might be in danger if FX had a full programming slate, but they don't. There are already several huge holes in their drama lineup thanks to the cancellations of The Bridge, Sons of Anarchy and Justified. They're not gonna create another by prematurely cancelling The Americans.

John Landgraf is also obsessed with prestige, and The Americans and Fargo are the only dramas on the network that get any sort of critical acclaim. (Justified is ending so it doesn't count in this conversation)

Good luck with being "As good as HBO!" (lol) with fucking The Strain, Tyrant, and American Horror Story, Landgraf!

It typically gets a HUGE bump in L+3/L+7, yeah. FX doesn't even acknowledge L+SD ratings any more so talking about them is sort of pointless when trying to seriously gauge how well they consider a show to be doing.

The show might be in danger if FX had a full programming slate, but they don't. There are already several huge holes in their drama lineup thanks to the cancellations of The Bridge, Sons of Anarchy and Justified. They're not gonna create another by prematurely cancelling The Americans.

John Landgraf is also obsessed with prestige, and The Americans and Fargo are the only dramas on the network that get any sort of critical acclaim. (Justified is ending so it doesn't count in this conversation)

Good luck with being "As good as HBO!" (lol) with fucking The Strain, Tyrant, and American Horror Story, Landgraf!

Yeah although those live ratings have tanked, I'm not too worried because of the state of the dramas they have.

Man, The Strain and Tyrant were real misfires from the quality bar that FX wants with their dramas (not that SoA was good in its last few seasons).

How good is this show? I've seen tons of commercials for it, and have been curious since its debut, but didn't get FX Canada until just recently.

I'm thinking about starting it from the beginning. It looks interesting.

My favourite shows are Six Feet Under, X-Files, Breaking Bad & Supernatural

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I just started watching this recently and holy shit it's probably become my favorite TV show of all time, the quality is just unreal. Marathon-ed up to season 3 in just just under two weeks lol.

Sad to see how bad those ratings are, going to be hella upset if this ever gets cancelled prematurely. But I'm truly surprised at how the ratings have dropped off so sharply; seems like the show started off pretty strong in season 1 and 2, and then held steady for awhile before tanking a couple episodes into season 3... Meanwhile some of the other trash FX shows pull a much larger audience somehow :/.

How good is this show? I've seen tons of commercials for it, and have been curious since its debut, but didn't get FX Canada until just recently.

If you have any kind of interest in espionage, 80's cold war history or just well made thrilling television, then you'll love it.

Probably one of the most thoughtful and hauntingly beautiful stories ever told. I feel like it's the best romance on TV. A show about a supposed bygone era, reveals more modern social commentary and insight then just about anything I've ever seen. And the family dynamic, while dealing with fantastical elements, is truer and more realistic than one would want to believe. As we try and earn the favor of a child, navigate lost feelings, pinpoint when love was lost in a marriage, what it means to be a good husband, fake a smile. And I think that's what's most frightening about it. What you get are tender moments, dripped in espionage and actual tension with character moments that will have you oozing with empathy for the greatest evil this country has ever seen. But what ties it all together, you begin to see yourself in like Joan Osborne pondered "What if God was one of us?" You'll find that these people, though perceived polar opposites deal with the same struggles, fears, dreams, goals and anxieties. We are not enemies, but comrades.

If you have any kind of interest in espionage, 80's cold war history or just well made thrilling television, then you'll love it.

Probably one of the most thoughtful and hauntingly beautiful stories ever told. I feel like it's the best romance on TV. A show about a supposed bygone era, reveals more modern social commentary and insight then just about anything I've ever seen. And the family dynamic, while dealing with fantastical elements, is truer and more realistic than one would want to believe. As we try and earn the favor of a child, navigate lost feelings, pinpoint when love was lost in a marriage, what it means to be a good husband, fake a smile. And I think that's what's most frightening about it. What you get are tender moments, dripped in espionage and actual tension with character moments that will have you oozing with empathy for the greatest evil this country has ever seen. But what ties it all together, you begin to see yourself in like Joan Osborne pondered "What if God was one of us?" You'll find that these people, though perceived polar opposites deal with the same struggles, fears, dreams, goals and anxieties. We are not enemies, but comrades.

Sounds good. I'll have to add it to my backlog. Thanks.

This and The 100 on the same night. Rafa, how do you handle it?

This and The 100 on the same night. Rafa, how do you handle it?
I normally watch The Americans Thursday mornings. Just those little bench marks to get me through the week. Kimmy's casting is great, she looks plucked out of the 80's and it seems that's her normal style as well. I'm baffled how minuscule the viewership is, can't even look at the ratings anymore.

scabro

Oh my god, that was one of the best hours of television i think i've seen in my life. The last scene was one of the most captivating, haunting, engrossing scenes ive ever seen.

God damn this show is incredible.

And i totally understand why the ratings are as low as they are. So many elements are working against it as far as captivating a large audience goes, which is a shame as its so fantastically constructed. But i fucking love it. The tensions, the drama, introspection, character development, so beautiful. It would seem so easy to mess up something like this, and the cast and writers just knock it out of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom