• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

"I didn't want to tell you like this. Like I'm fucking with your head."

Now I'm going to pressure your wife to do something.

I'm a little late but I thought it was another good episode. The highlights for me were Nina's cold betrayal of her cellmate to help secure her freedom, Philip's increasingly awkward and escalating relationship with Kimberly (which seems to get worse in each subsequent episode), and the final scene where Elizabeth finally puts into motion her plan to convert Paige. I like how Elizabeth used the Civil Rights movement as stepping stone to help convince Paige. That being said, I have a hard time imagining Paige taking the news well at all regardless of how Elizabeth dresses up their cause. Either way, excited to see how this unfolds.

And I agree with everyone that the preview looked amazing. That being said, I'm pretty sure it was a preview for the remainder of the season and not the next episode. (although I would have no problem being wrong) :D

Elizabeth gonna drop Paige off in the hood.

LOL. I was thinking of a weird, alternate version of scared straight

Good spot they found or dressed. It looked the part. I assume this is Elizabeth being pushed by Gabriel to put the spy wheels in motion. Essentially the you and I aren't that much different speech to let Paige's defences come down.

Henry gets a chance to speak and he's gonna use up a season worth of lines. He'll be a bad spy if that day ever comes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That conversation at the window was great. They were having a marvelous time.

As hard as Elizabeth is trying, I really don't see how revealing the truth to Paige would go down well. Maybe if you go at it in a longterm, slow immersion into communist ideology and then eventually introduce the actual Russian spy stuff.

IronRinn

LOL. I was thinking of a weird, alternate version of scared straight

Good spot they found or dressed. It looked the part. I assume this is Elizabeth being pushed by Gabriel to put the spy wheels in motion. Essentially the you and I aren't that much different speech to let Paige's defences come down.

That conversation at the window was great. They were having a marvelous time.

As hard as Elizabeth is trying, I really don't see how revealing the truth to Paige would go down well. Maybe if you go at it in a longterm, slow immersion into communist ideology and then eventually introduce the actual Russian spy stuff.

Yeah, I think everyone (myself included) was kind of hung up on Claudia's speech at the end of season 2 where she makes it sound like they have to sit her down at the kitchen table and say "Honey, your father and I are deeply embedded communist spies." Seems more to me that they would groom her to accept those ideologies and then, in a few years say "Hey, here's what's really going on." Of course, the preview for the rest of the season makes it seem like it may not go so smoothly. I'm still not in love with the idea. And if the show were to go the 5 seasons that it is is rumored/planned to go, I'm not sure how much spying Paige would be doing.

It is a gigantic risk. As far as I can recall, Elizabeth and Phillip haven't on-screen once entertained the possibility of them telling her and then her turning them in.

IronRinn

It is a gigantic risk. As far as I can recall, Elizabeth and Phillip haven't on-screen once entertained the possibility of them telling her and then her turning them in.

Yeah, that is the craziest part to me, too. Like, it could happen. Wouldn't you want to discuss it? Maybe that's a blind spot for them.

Also, like Dan, I too loved the scene of them smoking pot. It's great when they are getting along which makes it all the worse when the job starts to pull at them. No doubt their real life relationship helps, but they are really great together on screen regardless.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I think part of it is just what Elizabeth said: she does see Paige as not all that different than her. More specifically, she sees and wants to see herself reflected in Paige and Paige's behaviors, but it's kind of a naive mindset. She's approaching the situation in a personal sense, as in, "well, I didn't have an issue with it, so she won't either. She's just like me in the end." I really don't feel like Elizabeth's taking into account that children are an amalgam of both parents, and their own personal experiences, but just has this ideal vision of everything working out the way she wants it to. Part of that is her loyalty to her country and her mission, but I think a bigger part of her doesn't want to deal with the idea that Paige would reject and detest their way of life.

Seems a bit too soon for Paige to potentially learn
about her parents being Russian spies? I know it's S3, but I'd figure that would happen at least until next season, but on the OTOH, she's always been a curious girl around the house.

I thought it was an OK episode. When I saw the hype for the last seven minutes I guess I thought it was gonna be more than what it wound up being.

-griffy-

Banned
Martha has nothing for Clark (Philip) anymore.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they are planting seeds for romance stuff developing between that agent and Martha, between the awkward convo earlier and him now doing a favor for her. Nice guy at work, Clarke isn't around much doesn't want a family, so on and so forth...Martha and agent guy start getting intimate, "Wait, I can't I'm married." "You're married? To who?" FBI guy now knows about Clarke.

Audioboxer

Just a quick post as I'm wanting to avoid spoilers. Watched all of season 1 and 2 over 2 weeks, and now only have 2 more episodes of season 3 to catch up on.

Great show, something different.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, I think everyone (myself included) was kind of hung up on Claudia's speech at the end of season 2 where she makes it sound like they have to sit her down at the kitchen table and say "Honey, your father and I are deeply embedded communist spies." Seems more to me that they would groom her to accept those ideologies and then, in a few years say "Hey, here's what's really going on." Of course, the preview for the rest of the season makes it seem like it may not go so smoothly. I'm still not in love with the idea. And if the show were to go the 5 seasons that it is is rumored/planned to go, I'm not sure how much spying Paige would be doing.

I think it also feels like Gabriel is pushing for a quicker turn rather than a longterm developing of Paige, but it's hard to say.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought it was an OK episode. When I saw the hype for the last seven minutes I guess I thought it was gonna be more than what it wound up being.

Critics really should stop over hyping things - a "As usual, The Americans is on point tonight!" would have been sufficient.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they are planting seeds for romance stuff developing between that agent and Martha, between the awkward convo earlier and him now doing a favor for her. Nice guy at work, Clarke isn't around much doesn't want a family, so on and so forth...Martha and agent guy start getting intimate, "Wait, I can't I'm married." "You're married? To who?" FBI guy now knows about Clarke.

Good idea. I bet that's exactly what happens.

- Variety: PopPolitics: The Surprising Truths of the ’80s in ‘The Americans’ (podcast)
FX’s “The Americans,” set in the last great gasp of the Cold War in the early 1980s, jogs memories of Yaz and K-cars, but the third season also is marked by reminders of just how much history repeats itself.

Executive producers Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields talked to Variety‘s “PopPolitics” on SiriusXM about one of the season’s storylines: the efforts by Soviet-spies-as-suburban-couple Elizabeth and Philip Jennings (Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) to glean any information about the CIA’s covert operation to support insurgents in Afghanistan, where the Soviet occupation is quickly turning into that country’s Vietnam.

Getting rid of those classified documents is a favor for her?

- Esquire: Noah Emmerich on Directing an Episode of The Americans
The third season of The Americans, currently airing Wednesdays on FX, has been tumultuous and explosive, grappling with the implications of what it means to be both a Soviet spy during the Cold War and a parent. Tomorrow night's game-shifting episode was directed by cast member Noah Emmerich, who plays FBI agent Stan Beeman, and it sets the wheels in motion for big action in the season's second half. Emmerich, whose character has not been having a great time this season personally or professionally, has been waiting to take over behind the camera since he was initially cast on the show, and the episode represents his professional directing debut. We spoke with Emmerich about directing himself along with stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, his hopes for Stan, and why it continues to be weird that The Americans isn't the biggest show on cable.
Some minor spoilers in the interview.

-griffy-

Banned
Getting rid of those classified documents is a favor for her?

It's a favor insofar as she has complained about people carelessly leaving them on top of the very unsecured mailbot. He doesn't know that she's been taking advantage of that by stealing the documents for Clark. She complained and he did something about it, I'm sure she appreciates it from that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom