• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

-griffy-

Banned
I think it's interesting that Elizabeth essentially called Young Hee after her argument with Philip to just hang out and go to a movie. She seems to actually like her and enjoy spending time with her, kind of a mini Martha situation forming almost. Seems kind of like a small crack in her armor.

Ristifer

What a tremendous episode. Once again, this show proves to be in the master class.

That time jump really threw me, though. I was not expecting the show to move that far ahead like that. They tie up loose ends, make it seem like a decent conclusion (for now) for the Jennings', but you know they still have so much ahead of them. Especially with how disillusioned Paige seems to be.

Martha's send off was cold, subdued, and perfect. Leave it to this damn show to make the seemingly expected go in an unexpected fashion. No dialogue until they get to the plane, with everything else making deafening sounds (like the faucet Martha uses at the beginning). Then she just gets on the plane and she's off. I'll be honest, I didn't think she would actually make it out alive. I figured something would happen, but it didn't. No grand spectacle or anything. She's just taken away with Philip standing there.

Stan's attempt to reassure Gaad when they're standing at the elevator was pretty funny. I appreciated the levity.

I love this show.

- Slate Podcast: Matthew Rhys on Starring In and Directing Last Night’s Huge Turning Point on The Americans
In this installment about episode eight, “The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears,” Matthew Rhys (Philip/Clark) joins June Thomas and show runners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg to talk about his Americans directorial debut, which also happened to be one of his character's most intense episodes. Plus, Allison Wright stops by to share her thoughts on her character, Martha.

04Xdgo4.jpg

Great cold open. I could almost hear Sounds of Silence playing in the background. Hello, Darkness my old friend...

Dat boiling point... those veins popping under Keri Russell's eyes... wow.

And while everything else settles back to a simmer thanks to Gabriel pushing a vacation... that cold close with Paige.

Damn, this show does strained intensity better than anyone.

IronRinn

Also, this is neat:This episode:

Stan: "Hey, you mind if I grab a beer? Runnin' low."

Philip: "Sure, help yourself."

---

Good writing, folks!
I noticed that, too. Nice little touch. I also loved how Stan declined dinner but took the rest of the six pack with him.

- Matt Zoller Seitz in NY Mag:
A big part of this seamless quality comes from the writers’ willingness to lean into the nature of the story they are telling and let the whole run of episodes deal, to some extent, with fallout from decisions and events in season three — in particular, Philip and Elizabeth coming out as spies to their daughter, Paige. In retrospect, this seismic emotional event feels like an inadvertent trigger for other key twists, such as Paige telling Pastor Tim the truth about her parents and Philip telling Martha that he was not really Clark, but Mischa, and not a U.S. intelligence agent, but a Russian spy. Another confession, or “confession” — Martha telling Stan’s partner, Dennis, that she’s having an affair with a married man, which, quite unbeknownst to Martha, is true. Each confession/revelation has consequences, and those consequences lead to more consequences, and yet more consequences. Things keep getting worse and worse, the betrayals and disappointments more piercing, the failures (by individuals and their handlers/institutions) more devastating. No current series does a better job of capturing the dread of exposure and punishment. It’s as if Weisberg and Fields took that feeling you had as a child, when you knew it was only a matter of time before adults figured out you’d lied to them, and turned it into a show.

At the same time, somehow, The Americans is funnier than it’s ever been, finding parched humor in the absurd situations that its characters keep sneaking or stumbling into. All it would take is a nudge to push The Americans out of suspense-psychological-drama mode and into farce. It seems to get closer by the week, especially in scenes with Stan and Dennis’s boss, Frank Gaad, contemplating the inevitable end of his career. I never would have figured Richard Thomas for an Albert Brooks fan, but some of Gaad’s line readings have the soul-sick incredulity of Brooks’s characters in Modern Romance and Lost in America. “They seduced … and married … my secretary,” he says, separating each phrase with a pause so long you could stage a retirement party inside it. (And you gotta love that “they” instead of “he” — as if the entire USSR were in bed with Martha.)

Most dramas with material this darkly comic and emotionally loaded would lean extra-hard on the “cry” button, but the show has gotten less affected, more economical, and altogether leaner — which means that when viewer tears flow, they catch you by surprise (at least they do for me — mainly because The Americans almost never comes on like a “turn on the waterworks” series, so I rarely see the gut punches coming). For the most part, season four’s big scenes are longer and quieter (literally; check out the wind that scores the opening sequence of “The Magic … ”) than in prior seasons. There are fewer characters and fewer incidents in each episode, and the contained nature of the staging seems to invite you to feel as if you’re watching a cinematic adaptation of a play — Chekov, probably. The conversation between Martha and Philip/Clark/Mischa played out mostly in a static two-shot, which made me feel as if I were watching a production of Vanya on 42nd Street from a front-row seat in a black-box theater. (Nathan Barr’s music for that scene, by the way, is the best work he’s done. The string arrangements suggest both characters’ inner turmoil as they try to maintain stiff upper lips; the score itself seems to be in denial.)
Good read that's worth a look.

IronRinn

It's interesting that it appeared almost that the show had let the Paige story line drop or wrapped it up but it seems to me more and more that this season in particular is about what lies and secrets do to people. Even the implacable Elizabeth is seething with bitterness and resentment. And in that sense I think Paige is still very much a threat to their existence as a family. She's obviously not doing well seven months of spying later and she doesn't have the training/brainwashing her parents have had to help her push it down. I think her plot line is far from resolved.

Also, what is the deal with Tatiana and Oleg? Is she interested in him or is she manipulating him? With this show I'm leaning towards the latter but I can't be sure.

It's interesting that it appeared almost that the show had let the Paige story line drop or wrapped it up but it seems to me more and more that this season in particular is about what lies and secrets do to people. Even the implacable Elizabeth is seething with bitterness and resentment. And in that sense I think Paige is still very much a threat to their existence as a family. She's obviously not doing well seven months of spying later and she doesn't have the training/brainwashing her parents have had to help her push it down. I think her plot line is far from resolved.

Also, what is the deal with Tatiana and Oleg? Is she interested in him or is she manipulating him? With this show I'm leaning towards the latter but I can't be sure.

66938800.jpg

They condensed a lot of storylines in this episode. Their workload of spycraft is significantly reduced with only Kimmy (!), Young Hee, and managing Pastor Tim left on the current docket. I'm sure there's some older stuff that'll come back to haunt them, though.
I think it's interesting that Elizabeth essentially called Young Hee after her argument with Philip to just hang out and go to a movie. She seems to actually like her and enjoy spending time with her, kind of a mini Martha situation forming almost. Seems kind of like a small crack in her armor.
I was thinking the same thing. Young Hee is more of a friend (and release valve) than an agent right now, and that'll come back on Elizabeth at some point. Stark contrast between her having to kill Lisa and sneaking into movies with Young Hee.
I was wondering what's going on there, too. It's working on a few different levels. Interesting week for Oleg with that going down and Gaad encouraging Stan to take another look at flipping him.
Excellent episode. I'm going to miss Gaad. ??
Me too. Hopefully they can bring him back for some reason.
Honestly was waiting for the plane to explode as it faded out of view in this shot.
Completely missed that this was Matthew Rhys' (Americans) directorial debut. Hell of a first time.
Yes, very nice work from him tonight on both sides of the camera. Sepinwall noted that he did a few episodes of Brothers and Sisters a couple years ago.
Holly Taylor doing some good work too.
Yup, she's been great. That role would be a tedious mess with someone less skilled in the part.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Today on The Americans, Elizabeth is so damn done with your angsty teenager bullshit.

FXxv4Uz.gif

CzxHf13.gif

Random musings:

-I still cannot believe they got Martha out of the country. I was fully expecting them to get her Nina'd on her way to the plane. Colour me surprised.

-I don't trust Tatiana. I don't trust her at all. But I have to say that Oleg is not giving me the most trustworthy vibes either. I get the feeling that she's trying to play him and either Oleg is falling for it or he's trying to fool her into believeing it. Either way, there's some very subtle chess playing going on there.

-Don't fuck with Elizabeth when she's angry. Just don't.

-I'm having trouble picturing where the rest of the season will go now that Martha is out of the picture. More high stakes pathogen stuff?

-Welcome to the spy life, Paige :(

Edit: Turns out that Holly Taylor has an Instagram account and she's also a dancer, because being an accomplished young actor was not enough. Obviously.

Zj72gK6.gif

Zaph

I know it probably wasn't meant to be taken that way, but god damn, that scene with Elizabeth and Paige was so cathartic. Girl, this ain't a game.

Another outstanding episode - I love it when shows do psudo mid-season finales.

IvanJ

Banned
-I still cannot believe they got Martha out of the country. I was fully expecting them to get her Nina'd on her way to the plane. Colour me surprised.

-I'm having trouble picturing where the rest of the season will go now that Martha is out of the picture. More high stakes pathogen stuff?

I think we haven't seen the last of Martha, even for this season. 7 months have passed, it's time for Philip to contact her parents and screw something up there.
Maybe learn that they got a postcard from Warsaw or somewhere...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I know it probably wasn't meant to be taken that way, but god damn, that scene with Elizabeth and Paige was so cathartic. Girl, this ain't a game.

Another outstanding episode - I love it when shows do psudo mid-season finales.

I can't blame Paige. She's just a moody teenager reacting like a moody teenager would do. Meanwhile, it's Elizabeth's ass the one that's on the line, and it's not like her life experiences taught her to be mild mannered. Hell, had Paige been a stranger, chances are she'd have a broken bottle popping out from her neck.

Just when you think that Elizabeth is getting more humane and kind, her Rusky superspy gland flares up like a supernova.

- Maureen Ryan on last night's episode for Variety
Now think back on the enjoyable movie-theater scene with Young Hee, and ponder this: One day, Elizabeth might have to kill her, just as she killed Lisa. One day, Philip might have to take out Kimmie, who we haven’t seen lately but whom we know he genuinely likes. What kind of life is it when the people you both use and turn to for emotional support are the people you might have to end up exiling or killing? Philip and Elizabeth can compartmentalize a lot, but no one can fully keep those thoughts apart, at least not for as long as they’ve had to. That’s why they look so broken in my favorite scene.

It’s the scene I’m thinking about most the morning after this mesmerizing episode aired: The moment in which Elizabeth walks in to the meeting with Gabriel and Philip, and blankly tells them she killed Lisa. There was an emptiness behind her eyes that was terrifying and heartbreaking at once. Everything about Elizabeth’s robotic, numb movements told the story of where she was, mentally and emotionally: nowhere. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back, or was about to break it.

Despite the difficult state of their relationship, Philip rushed to his wife, dabbing at the blood on her neck, trying to provide some support and comfort. The small moment was a metaphor for their relationship as a whole: Two damaged people in a house on fire (metaphorically speaking), reaching out to each other, one trying to save the other, both hoping they can connect, maybe. Two wounded animals, tending each other’s wounds. In this instance, Elizabeth was too far gone to even really notice what Philip was doing, but you could tell, on some level, that she was glad he was there, tethering her to reality. In that quiet, dirty, sad house, it was so obvious that they were both hanging on by a thread.

They’d stopped asking for help, but Gabriel decided to provide it. In that scene, Langella provided another in a long line of the terrific wordless performances that are everywhere on this show. Gabriel’s eyes darted back and forth, assessing his officers, figuring out what to do and how to manage this moment. It was another microcosm of what “The Americans” does: The moment is both a tender portrait of people in crisis, and a chance for a cold, agenda-driven rationalist to determine what he can get out of a situation. There is no emotion or relationship on this show that is not measured, molded, parlayed into something else. Quietly, skillfully, everything must be used.
More via the link.

- Warming Glow: ‘The Americans’ Defies All Expectations In A Must-See Episode

I can't blame Paige. She's just a moody teenager reacting like a moody teenager would do.

When I was her age I would have shot back at my Mom there, honestly. Paige didn't ask to be born into this life. Her parents had her to look normal. I would actually start holding an insane amount of resentment at my parents after finding out the truth and then having that responsibility laid on my shoulders.

NYT: So what’s next while we wait to see whether Martha returns?

AW: I have a pretty interesting part in Ben Affleck’s movie “The Accountant.” The director, Gavin O’Connor, warned me: “Ben is a freak for ‘The Americans.’ He’s obsessed with the show.” So I get to this massive sound stage in Atlanta, and I just hear: “She’s here? She’s here? Oh my God!” from across the hangar, “Martha’s here?” And he comes running at me, arms out, and he’s a big guy, and he’s like, “God, just give me a hug, give me a hug, call me Clark once, oh my God — Martha!” After which I’m like, “I’m the coolest person on the set, everybody.”
Ha ha

Ristifer

Honestly was waiting for the plane to explode as it faded out of view in this shot.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It seemed so focused on the plane for a few seconds. The silence really made it feel like something was about to happen. Again, great directing.

I think we haven't seen the last of Martha, even for this season. 7 months have passed, it's time for Philip to contact her parents and screw something up there.
Maybe learn that they got a postcard from Warsaw or somewhere...
I totally forgot about Gabriel and Philip talking about contacting Martha's parents and how Philip wanted to get that done before the 6 months that Gabriel suggested. All of a sudden, it's 7 months later. Interesting.

-griffy-

Banned
I was thinking about the title of the episode and specifically the magic trick itself that David Copperfield does. Not sure if everyone is aware, but the way he made the Statue of Liberty "disappear" is a pretty simple trick. The entire stage that him and the audience were on rotated at an imperceptibly slow speed to the bystanders, so that when the curtain falls to reveal the trick it's simply pointing at a different section of sky than when it started, then the curtain goes back and the whole thing spins back to point at the Statue again. So it's the very real definition of a trick, the Statue doesn't actually disappear at all. It's still very much there, but is simply hidden from view.

It's essentially exactly what the "vacation" is for Philip and Elizabeth. They get to take a break and actually be travel agents, only doing minimal, easy spy stuff. They get to feel refreshed after the seven months, but it's not as if all their problems actually disappeared. They are right there, hidden from their view, as Paige has continued to work Pastor Tim and get progressively more stressed out. And at some point everything will rotate back and put that problem in view again.

Ristifer

I was thinking about the title of the episode and specifically the magic trick itself that David Copperfield does. Not sure if everyone is aware, but the way he made the Statue of Liberty "disappear" is a pretty simple trick. The entire stage that him and the audience were on rotated at an imperceptibly slow speed to the bystanders, so that when the curtain falls to reveal the trick it's simply pointing at a different section of sky than when it started, then the curtain goes back and the whole thing spins back to point at the Statue again. So it's the very real definition of a trick, the Statue doesn't actually disappear at all. It's still very much there, but is simply hidden from view.

It's essentially exactly what the "vacation" is for Philip and Elizabeth. They get to take a break and actually be travel agents, only doing minimal, easy spy stuff. They get to feel refreshed after the seven months, but it's not as if all their problems actually disappeared. They are right there, hidden from their view, as Paige has continued to work Pastor Tim and get progressively more stressed out. And at some point everything will rotate back and put that problem in view again.
Love it.

Finally caught up as I've been a couple episodes behind for awhile now. While this show has always been amazing, this season blows the others out of the water. Already this season so much has happened with Paige, Nina and Martha as well as the usual spy work.

I'm curious if Tatiana doesn't trust Oleg. For some reason I felt Oleg may have wanted to sabotage Martha's extraction due to what happened with Nina. Oleg also has been associated and working with Stan. I think she has reasons to be distrustful and she seemed like she was intentionally keeping her distance from him.

IronRinn

Yeah, I was really impressed with the acting in that scene, especially from Langella. You could actually see his thought processes play across his face. The quality of, specifically, wordless acting in this show is almost without equal. So much is conveyed, by almost every actor at some point, via body language and looks and the show uses those moments to such great effect. It makes the lack of awards for this show all the more mystifying.

Sober

Also I forgot to mention, that chalkboard writing at EST was inhuman. Too neat. Did a robot do it? DID THE MAIL ROBOT DO IT?

CoolOff

I love that the show subverts our expectations to such a degree. Martha out of the country in the first 5 minutes with no problems? Sure. 7 months time jump in episode 8? Sure.

Also, that final scene was Agent Paige activating.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love that the show subverts our expectations to such a degree. Martha out of the country in the first 5 minutes with no problems? Sure. 7 months time jump in episode 8? Sure.

Also, that final scene was Agent Paige activating.

Complete subversion of what I expected. I honestly thought this episode would be devoted to Martha's extraction. I love when shows give me something I didn't even know I wanted. It's the best kind of TV writing.

I can't blame Paige. She's just a moody teenager reacting like a moody teenager would do. Meanwhile, it's Elizabeth's ass the one that's on the line, and it's not like her life experiences taught her to be mild mannered. Hell, had Paige been a stranger, chances are she'd have a broken bottle popping out from her neck.

Just when you think that Elizabeth is getting more humane and kind, her Rusky superspy gland flares up like a supernova.

She's not moody, she just found out her whole life is a lie. You telling me you wouldn't be stressed?

Also I forgot to mention, that chalkboard writing at EST was inhuman. Too neat. Did a robot do it? DID THE MAIL ROBOT DO IT?

I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

What the fuck? lol this show man. It's so damn amazing. Still finding ways to shock me. So damn much happened in this episode and there's more to go this season? WTF?

I really hope we see Martha again.....I'm still trying to wrap my head about all that happened. It makes so much sense that Mathew Rhys directed this episode consider how good an understanding he has of it. Really good work. So many great scenes, so much meaning everywhere.

Amen to this from avclub:

The structure’s power is a symbolic one, just like that of The Statue Of Liberty. Nobody’s going to overlook the irony of the four Jennings gathered around the TV, listening to David Copperfield espouse the all-American virtues of freedom and liberty. But it’s more than just a U.S.-versus-USSR juxtaposition: Philip and Elizabeth are about to temporarily lose something that defines who they are. In a great flourish, The Americans makes The Jennings’ lives as spies disappear. The magic of “The Magic Of David Copperfield V: The Statue Of Liberty Disappears” is in transforming Elizabeth, Philip, Paige, and Henry into the happy family they’ve always pretended to be.

But the real illusion is in the misdirection. You can’t see Philip and Elizabeth working Tim and Alice because Paige is doing it for them. The curtain falls and the spies are gone. It raises, falls again, and the spies return. God bless The Americans for daring to attempt such an endeavor, let alone pulling it off with such showmanship.

I kept expecting a scene where Martha finally catches a bullet. First at the airfield, then on the plane and then somewhere in Cuba or some unknown location. I like how they kept her fate uncertain. I'm also kind of surprised that many folks believe she made it to Russia safely. That whole foreshadowing from Tatiana last week would amount to nothing if she didn't actually get Martha killed. Also kind of feel that Gabriel would be in on it and this will further fracture his relationship with Philip when he finds out.

I hope Stan can quickly get back on track of the Illegals.

That last scene with Paige was chilling. It's like her entire family was on their 'vacation' but Paige is a prisoner who is living in her own personal hell being forced to spy on the pastor.

Although I do think that the logical progression of the story would be for the parents to slowly reveal the full extent of their job to Paige. As in, when she first found out that they were spies, they told her that they do mostly harmless work in which nobody gets hurt. The pastor and his wife were kept alive so that Paige would continue to believe this lie. But in the long term both Philip and Elizabeth have to know that she will have to be told the truth, and the day she does is the last day the pastor breathes. So with the time jump you'd think they would be preparing her or she herself would start to get suspicious instead of simply believing what she was told.

Going to miss Gaad too. He never had a major role in the show (much like Arkady) but he's been around so long that it's going to be weird without him.

Disgraced

and notice that look that Henry gives Phillip, Paige and Elizabeth after she comes back from playing mini-golf with Pastor Tim.
Yeah, that was a nice, subtle shot. I have to wonder if he's going to start asking questions like Paige did all the way back in S1.
I noticed that, too. Nice little touch. I also loved how Stan declined dinner but took the rest of the six pack with him.
He looked really disheveled too. It was late after work, but the hair and tie were extra off. Damn good scene on every level. Writing, acting, framing, costume, etc.
I'll be honest, I didn't think she would actually make it out alive. I figured something would happen, but it didn't. No grand spectacle or anything. She's just taken away with Philip standing there.
Lol oh my gosh, that would've made Martha the most unfortunate woman in the world. I could see it though.

I'm glad they showed restraint.
That's an amazing story lol.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
She's not moody, she just found out her whole life is a lie. You telling me you wouldn't be stressed?

Yeah, I mean. All things considered, Paige is an incredibly calm and well kept kid. I was trying to say that teenagerss are not the most emotionally stable/reliable people. Her wanting some time off/reacting like she did is only expected.

Elizabeth's veins have veins.

I hope they have a doctor on the set. So much intensity can't be good for you.

mm04

Keri Russell's eyes are driving me nuts. She looks like a damn moonie from classic SNL. She's getting way too thin!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
-I don't trust Tatiana. I don't trust her at all. But I have to say that Oleg is not giving me the most trustworthy vibes either. I get the feeling that she's trying to play him and either Oleg is falling for it or he's trying to fool her into believeing it. Either way, there's some very subtle chess playing going on there.
I don't know that Oleg mistrusts her, but he definitely wants to know about her secret projects.

I enjoyed this bit as well:
You’re quite glamorous in person but Martha is not. Is there a trick to playing such a subdued character?

Oh, I thought you were going to ask if it’s hard being in a role where you’re so depressed for that long. Because that takes its toll. But we tried to keep it light [while working]. Matthew is Welsh and as soon as the camera stops, we’re gossiping away in stupid, slang British accents all day long. The guys on the set say it’s like being on a British porn.

When I was her age I would have shot back at my Mom there, honestly. Paige didn't ask to be born into this life. Her parents had her to look normal. I would actually start holding an insane amount of resentment at my parents after finding out the truth and then having that responsibility laid on my shoulders.

Yea but after much poking around, Paige got the truth, and what does she do? She betrays her family and puts everyone at risk. She wanted to be treated like an adult and is now getting a heavy dose what it means to be one. She started this mess and now she has to clean it up. I honestly believe Henry would of been more cut out to be a spy than Paige. He seems to be more morally ambiguous.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's time for the Centre to spring a convincing accident on Pastor Tim and Alice. So much time has passed, they can convince Paige it makes no sense for them to wait all this time if murdering people was a thing they do to solve problems.

Maybe a missionary trip to Belize goes wrong...

turtle553

It's time for the Centre to spring a convincing accident on Pastor Tim and Alice. So much time has passed, they can convince Paige it makes no sense for them to wait all this time if murdering people was a thing they do to solve problems.

Maybe a missionary trip to Belize goes wrong...

Or they have a real accident and Paige blames her parents falsely.

faridmon

OK just watched the Episode.

HOLY SHIT AT ELIZABETH'S SPEECH.

That was tense. Paige was taking it easy until she was told, shit hits the fan constantly!

HOLY SHIT!

Top Bottom