• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

-griffy-

Banned
God damn. That was probably the best cold open the show has ever had. Really good they chose no music for the whole sequence.

Mindlog

And it still feels like this is just the beginning.
Liz needs Jesus.

Or a trip to Disney World.

Third edit: nailed it!

Brilliant cold open and Keri Russell earned her paycheck this week. It'll be interesting to see where they go with the time jump and things (mostly) looking up for them.

jond76

Banned
My damn dvr cut off. Can someone fill me in? It was near the end, Stan was at the former directors house... he says: "I know it's not my business anymore, but I can't help but feel....." then it cuts off. Help!

BTM

Well that was brilliant. Definitely felt a little bit like a finale and we still got what, 5 episodes left?

Sober

Damn, Liz pretty much broke Paige right then and there.

Holly Taylor doing some good work too.

Also yeah that extra running time was well deserved. Funny how last week ran a little shorter than usual too.

My damn dvr cut off. Can someone fill me in? It was near the end, Stan was at the former directors house... he says: "I know it's not my business anymore, but I can't help but feel....." then it cuts off. Help!

It's a conversation about Oleg
and Nina and how things got personal and in spite of whatever bonds he might form not to lose sight of "these people."

Paige at the end of this episode though. Damn.

Also I've probably said "Poor Martha..." more times than I can count through the years but damn if her story isn't just devastating.

Sober

It's a conversation about Oleg
and Nina and how things got personal and in spite of whatever bonds he might form not to lose sight of "these people."
Also yeah I love how that line basically was perfectly timed to right when Paige gave her parents the report. Fucking bravo.

Daredevil should learn a lesson or two from this show. The voice over monologue at the end of S2 was hilariously bad in comparison.

Whoah, really surprised at the 7 month time jump. Copperfield did his statue of liberty trick in April, 1983 so its now Nov 1983. The soviets shoot down the Korean jet in August, terrorists killed 237 US Marines in Beirut, and the US invaded Grenada in October. Wonder if the korean lady is tied somehow to the jet downing?

Gorbachev assumes power in 1985 but we are still 4-5 years away from glasnost and stuff. Berlin Wall falls in 1989.

I thought this was a great little article, how Copperfield did his statue trick
http://gothamist.com/2016/05/04/david_copperfield_statue_of_liberty.php

Disgraced

What a marvelous episode. My favorite this season so far. I didn't think that cold opening could be topped but it just got better and better. Every scene with Young Hee and Liz is so good. One of the best things about this show is how tackles regular, everyday family issues through its twisted spy noire, and man, in my own personal life I've had a confrontation just like that one Phil had with Liz and Gabriel. Unreal.

WcOENvh.jpg
Whoah, really surprised at the 7 month time jump.
It was surprising, and I burst out laughing because of it.

Hey! You guys finally get a "break!"

Oh right, audience, you don't get to see that. Not really, at least. What, you thought this show loosen the tension for a minute? Think again, fucker. Of course you don't get to see that. This ain't no "feel-good dramedy." We still got five more episodes full of stress and terror this season, son!

Also, this is neat:
Aside from the operator, I think my favorite scene this episode was with Paige, Henry, and Matthew. They're definitely setting something up with the kids. This exchange was a great little rundown of the whole situation:

"She gets a full one?"

"She's 15."

"Y'know, my dad is an FBI agent. If we drink all his beers then he'll notice."
This episode:

Stan: "Hey, you mind if I grab a beer? Runnin' low."

Philip: "Sure, help yourself."

---

Good writing, folks!

IvanJ

Banned
Excellent episode, I enjoyed every minute of it. A perfect way to start my Thursday mornings.
Elizabeth getting sick and tired of all the incompetence surrounding her, the black woman picked a wrong time for a meltdown.
Can't wait to meet Gaad's replacement, he sounds like a barrel of laughs :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My girl Elizabeth went off on everybody this week. Paige got broken down, put back together and then smashed apart again. Gabriel better mind his mouth before he gets rocked like Claudia did. And I knew the minute that Lisa started having her breakdown that it was Game Over for her. Elizabeth was on the scorched earth war path. Paige is going to crack again, isn't she?

Excellent episode. I'm going to miss Gaad. 😢

Oh my god, that opening. The walk to the plane felt exactly like he was walking her to the gallows. The amount of tension this show can pack into a single scene is amazing.

I will never understand why this show isn't watched by more people. Every week is a goddamn masterclass in making a compelling TV show.

I have a few theories!

It's very deliberately paced, which probably loses a segment of the audience. I think one of the things is, though, it's not what I'd call a fun show. It's remarkably well acted and put together, but it's also tense as hell and frequently horrifying and/or depressing.

That's true of things like Breaking Bad that blew up, too, but there's one key difference (aside from The Americans not being on Netflix):

Anti-hero characters like Walter White, Don Draper, et al still have a wish fulfillment quality to them. Walter White is a monster, but he's ALSO the put-upon nerdy dude who uses his brains to reinvent himself as a badass and get the better of people who looked down on him. Don Draper is a total mess, but he's also a smooth, handsome womanizer and creative genius who gets all the ladies.

Phillip and Elizabeth...don't really have that. They're incredibly sympathetic, but I don't think anything about their situation is enviable. I have a hard time imagining someone watching even a single episode and thinking, "Damn, I wish I were those people."

What a marvelous episode. My favorite this season so far. I didn't think that cold opening could be topped but it just got better and better. Every scene with Young Hee and Liz is so good. One of the best things about this show is how tackles regular, everyday family issues through its twisted spy noire, and man, in my own personal life I've had a confrontation just like that one Phil had with Liz and Gabriel. Unreal.

WcOENvh.jpg
It was surprising, and I burst out laughing because of it.

Hey! You guys finally get a "break!"

Oh right, audience, you don't get to see that. Not really, at least. What, you thought this show loosen the tension for a minute? Think again, fucker. Of course you don't get to see that. This ain't no "feel-good dramedy." We still got five more episodes full of stress and terror this season, son!

Also, this is neat:This episode:

Stan: "Hey, you mind if I grab a beer? Runnin' low."

Philip: "Sure, help yourself."

---

Good writing, folks!

and notice that look that Henry gives Phillip, Paige and Elizabeth after she comes back from playing mini-golf with Pastor Tim.

xenist

What an episode! Fuck me, this show is really getting it done this year. And someone better give Kerri Russel an Emmy or I'll have to cut a bitch.

And I remember watching that special. I feel so old.

Top Bottom