• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
Was Elizabeth looking at a repaired spot on the wall where she kicked a guy's head through way back in, like, season 1?

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I lol'd at Elizabeth's whole "You're beautiful Philip, you can do it!" speech (and especially at the fact that it did work).

Also, how is the episode title not "Big Sex Guy"?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Geez, Elizabeth is working Paige hard on multiple fronts. Almost to spite Philip and Gabriel.

Claudia pumping Elizabeth for information.

I can't recall, do we know who this FBI informant is working for? That whole op has been kinda fuzzy with regard to the ultimate goal.

Regarding the preview:
C'mon guys, trust Tuan! He was getting in with the cool, mean kids!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Might be my favorite episode so far this season. Paced really well with some dashes of humor thrown in. Keri Russell did such a wonderful job in her scenes with Paige. Just well acted and well written across the board. Even the Oleg stuff is gaining some speed.

Paige has better fighting​ skills than Iron Fist. Haha. As for Elizabeth, I honestly don't know how to read her right now. I almost thought she decided to back off Benjamin because she was getting too close and might've been hurt by his cheating. So much simmering under the surface with that character. Can't wait to hear the podcast for this one.

Ristifer

Great episode. I don't usually like to make my own theories, but I have a feeling about what they might do going into the last act of the show with Philip:

At the end of S4, Gabriel suggests that Philip and Elizabeth go home because everything has added up to too much for them. Now, that hasn't happened. But with Gabriel sending Mischa back to the U.S.S.R. and with him also going back because he's "tired", I'm thinking that the Centre is bringing him back on purpose. Gabriel has been dropping some not-so-subtle hints that the Centre is focusing on Philip's loyalty to the cause. So, I think that Gabriel is being tasked with bringing Mischa and Martha together in the Soviet Union to try to make it easier for Philip to get out of the operation for good.

I'm never too good with predicting things, especially with this show. But that's just how I read the situation.

Good podcast again this week. They talk to the writer a bit about how it's a transitional episode/passing the baton from generation to generation with Gabriel moving on, Philip and Elizabeth questioning their place in the game (more able to handle themselves but at the same time concerned about their honeypot abilities), while Paige and Tuan are stepping up. They also note that Philip and Elizabeth's problems with the honeypot missions also stem from their relationship continuing to get better, and Philip also doesn't want to get into another Martha situation, so he's to some extent intentionally distancing himself.

They also confirm that they went to Moscow to shoot exteriors with Oleg this season.

Great episode. I don't usually like to make my own theories, but I have a feeling about what they might do going into the last act of the show with Philip:

At the end of S4, Gabriel suggests that Philip and Elizabeth go home because everything has added up to too much for them. Now, that hasn't happened. But with Gabriel sending Mischa back to the U.S.S.R. and with him also going back because he's "tired", I'm thinking that the Centre is bringing him back on purpose. Gabriel has been dropping some not-so-subtle hints that the Centre is focusing on Philip's loyalty to the cause. So, I think that Gabriel is being tasked with bringing Mischa and Martha together in the Soviet Union to try to make it easier for Philip to get out of the operation for good.

I'm never too good with predicting things, especially with this show. But that's just how I read the situation.

THe USSR took note of Mischa's abilities. He actually is resourceful enough to sneak out of the country and get into the USA.

My theory, they will train him and he will be the one to kill Philip down the road when Philip finally stops doing what they want.

- Warming Glow: ‘The Americans’ Anxiety Report: Leave Pasha Alone, You Monsters

As always, they have the entertaining screenshots:

6hqnOmy.jpg

WCDz0JR.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Stan is the only Big Sex Guy on The Americans.

His line about staying alive long enough to see Matthew graduate from college was so ominous.

Was reading Sepinwall's take and I guess I see where he's coming from where this sort of lull, but I'm pretty okay with there being room for more emotional/psychological moments and tension between characters. They basically have to get the ball rolling on whatever their series finale ends up being and I'm willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt on getting everything set up into place.

- NY Times: I Don’t Miss ‘Swan Lake’: A Ballerina’s Role on ‘The Americans’
On “The Americans,” which stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys as undercover Soviet spies in the United States during the Cold War, Ms. Dvorovenko plays a forlorn, isolated woman with a depressed son and a husband who has embraced his new country. Ms. Dvorovenko is somewhat unrecognizable in the role: Sallow and drawn, her usually glittering sapphire eyes disappear into the camera with piercing melancholy.

jett

D-Member
The plot if there's any is still kind of plodding along but I still enjoy watching these characters do their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom