• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The assassination of Kara Lynne by the cowards at Limited Run Games

You are an absolute idiot. Cancer is a life threatening illness. The pros of chemotherapy outweigh the negatives of having your organs failing from metastatic disease.

The prefrontal cortex - responsible for executive function and decision making - does not fully mature until 20s. Nevermind the fact children are incapable of making an informed decision and providing consent, the physical consequences of hormonal blockers are PERMANENT.
This is scientifically in correct, gender dysmorphia is life threatening too considering 40% of trans youth have attempted suicide. Studies below:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32345113/

http://www.phsa.ca/transcarebc/child-youth/affirmation-transition/medical-affirmation-transition/puberty-blockers-for-youth#:~:text=There are no known irreversible,taken puberty blockers at all.

To stay on topic I don't think Kara Lynne should have been fired...I do think she should have made a "I respect all individuals" statement. I don't have an issue with employers being strict over employees social media postings.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No I’m not comparing cancer, not once did I say cancer. If you want to strawmen an argument for reactions go ahead but I compared the chances of infertility with chemo and hormone blockers and how peoples argument on “it causes infertility” when it’s practically a non existent issue is merely an excuse for them just not wanting a safe approved drug by nearly every medical professional to be used because anything to do with transition is wrong to them.

You said it’s liberal parents and tik tok causing people to be trans when there have been trans people for most of history…or is it just now they are becoming a thing?
Is anyone without a dangerous illness need to use chemo??

Even if it is not cancer the point still stand dude, it was not a strawman, is your argument that was a bit retarded.

OZ9000

Banned
This is scientifically in correct, gender dysmorphia is life threatening too considering 40% of trans youth have attempted suicide. Studies below:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32345113/

http://www.phsa.ca/transcarebc/child-youth/affirmation-transition/medical-affirmation-transition/puberty-blockers-for-youth#:~:text=There are no known irreversible,taken puberty blockers at all.

To stay on topic I don't think Kara Lynne should have been fired...I do think she should have made a "I respect all individuals" statement. I don't have an issue with employers being strict over employees social media postings.
Suicidal ideation is also extremely high in depressive illness, and self harm is at an all time high in teenagers. It is time to tackle the root cause of their issues and give them psychological therapy as appropriate. I think it represents how pathetic our society has become - where kids cut themselves and try to kill themselves at every minor perceived inconvenience.

But if gender affirming treatment (whether this is via hormonal treatment or surgery) was indeed very good, we would see a notable decrease in mental illness and suicidal tendencies in trans people. However, we don't.

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

Last edited:
Suicidal ideation is also extremely high in depressive illness, and self harm is at an all time high in teenagers. It is time to tackle the root cause of their issues and give them psychological therapy as appropriate. I think it represents how pathetic our society has become - where kids cut themselves and try to kill themselves at every minor perceived inconvenience.

But if gender affirming treatment (whether this is via hormonal treatment or surgery) was indeed very good, we would see a notable decrease in mental illness and suicidal tendencies in trans people. However, we don't.

[/URL]

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.
Thanks for the citation, but this study is from 2011 and the data has changed since then now that more people have been on hormone blockers since. Also the bolded part is what I stated above, reassignment also social acceptance is the combination you need, that will lower the rates of suicide...same way I am on SSRI's but therapy is also recommended as a treatment as well. Theres no one cure but the downsides throne at hormone blockers tend to be conjecture.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People like Purple Twinker don't reproduce, they recruit.
Survivorau GIF by Australian Survivor

OZ9000

Banned
Thanks for the citation, but this study is from 2011 and the data has changed since then now that more people have been on hormone blockers since. Also the bolded part is what I stated above, reassignment also social acceptance is the combination you need, that will lower the rates of suicide...same way I am on SSRI's but therapy is also recommended as a treatment as well. Theres no one cure but the downsides throne at hormone blockers tend to be conjecture.
Yes, stunting of physical growth, decreased bone mineral density, depression, altered lipid profile, possible pituitary tumours. All conjecture.

Last edited:
Yes, stunting of physical growth, decreased bone mineral density, altered lipid profile, hepatotoxicity. All conjecture.
The definition of conjecture is making a cliam without the proper amount of data...the studies aren't conclusive as of yet and deemed minimal. Also most of what you listed above is reversible as soon as treatment is stopped. If it is a major issue, the data isn't there to prove that as of yet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7433770/

Edit: More data

2022 study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9150228/

Conclusion:

In conclusion, although data are still incomplete on the effects of early treatments in the young trans population, close monitoring of bone health is recommended, together with lifestyle counselling to improve bone health including optimizing dietary calcium and vitamin D intake and exercise, such as weight-bearing. Larger long-term studies are required to evaluate the real impact of these changes in BMD on the fracture risk later in life.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
The definition of conjecture is making a cliam without the proper amount of data...the studies aren't conclusive as of yet and deemed minimal. Also most of what you listed above is reversible as soon as treatment is stopped. If it is a major issue, the data isn't there to prove that as of yet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7433770/
I quickly scanned the data.

The research paper suggests using hormonal treatment will lower notably bone mineral density compared to non-treated groups as confirmed by DEXA scans.

Thank you for confirming one of the adverse effects of using Goserelin.

edit: I see you have added another paper.

Do you know how to read a paper?

"Osteopenia and osteoporosis are not uncommon in transwomen despite GAHT. Current literature shows that low bone mass (Z-score that matches gender assigned at birth) has been observed in 12.9–40% of transwomen during GAHT and is related to lower basal BMD, lower lean body mass, lower estradiol levels and lower compliance to GAHT.49,50,59,62,63

The prevalence of osteoporosis (according to male reference) is around 20% in transwomen after more than 10 years of GAHT"

The fact osteopenia is already high is remarkable, but a 20% osteoporosis rate is shocking.

Last edited:

The research paper suggests using hormonal treatment will lower notably bone mineral density compared to non-treated groups as confirmed by DEXA scans.

"Osteopenia and osteoporosis are not uncommon in transwomen despite GAHT. Current literature shows that low bone mass (Z-score that matches gender assigned at birth) has been observed in 12.9–40% of transwomen during GAHT and is related to lower basal BMD, lower lean body mass, lower estradiol levels and lower compliance to GAHT.49,50,59,62,63

The prevalence of osteoporosis (according to male reference) is around 20% in transwomen after more than 10 years of GAHT"

The fact osteopenia is already high is remarkable, but a 20% osteoporosis rate is shocking.

I'm not making a claim on if it is or isn't, just there needs to be more data, but most studies show, for the youth, there hasn't been enough data to say wheter the long term effects are damaging...as for the women bone mass is shown to be lower, but the long term risk isn't deemed a threat to

"The direct consequence of a weak bone is an increased risk of fracture but transwomen do not seem to experience this.48,65 In a nationwide cohort study, Wiepjes et al. 66 analysed fracture incidence in transgender people using long-term GAHT compared to an age-matched reference population. A total of 1089 transwomen younger than 50 years of age and 934 transwomen older than 50 years of age using GAHT for a median time of 8 and 19 years, respectively, were included. Globally, fractures occurred in 3.3% of the transwomen (67 out of 2023 patients) and the overall fracture incidence was no greater in transwomen compared with age-matched reference men or women."

I think the results of this is important to include.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not making a claim on if it is or isn't, just there needs to be more data, but most studies show, for the youth, there hasn't been enough data to say wheter the long term effects are damaging...as for the women bone mass is shown to be lower, but the long term risk isn't deemed a threat to

"The direct consequence of a weak bone is an increased risk of fracture but transwomen do not seem to experience this.48,65 In a nationwide cohort study, Wiepjes et al. 66 analysed fracture incidence in transgender people using long-term GAHT compared to an age-matched reference population. A total of 1089 transwomen younger than 50 years of age and 934 transwomen older than 50 years of age using GAHT for a median time of 8 and 19 years, respectively, were included. Globally, fractures occurred in 3.3% of the transwomen (67 out of 2023 patients) and the overall fracture incidence was no greater in transwomen compared with age-matched reference men or women."

Experimentation on children should be illegal. /end

OZ9000

Banned

The fact you're trying to put a positive spin on confirmed lower BMD is amusing.

Osteopenia is a big risk factor for major fragility fracture and progression to osteoporosis.

The fact you're trying to put a positive spin on confirmed lower BMD is amusing.

Osteopenia is a big risk factor for major fragility fracture and progression to osteoporosis.
Study is saying other wise. The fracture rate wasn't seen to be higher.

Experimentation on children should be illegal. /end
I appreciate the simplistic responses. When you know you have no point to make.

Dr. Claus

Banned

What point is to be made with someone so scientifically illiterate they can't even understand the difference between children with cancer having to undergo chemo to live and children who have gender dysphoria who under no circumstances *need* to transition at a young age to do the same? You are a literal walking joke.

Last edited:
Thats not a answer to the question, just an attack on the person asking... its a yes or no question...if you want to be nuanced then state your point. Do you think that infertility in hormone blockers is a major issue? Yes or no?
I'm not answering your question because I was never arguing with you, just pointing out that your comparison is completely fucking ass, and that's putting it lightly.

What point is to be made with someone so scientifically illiterate they can't even understand the difference between children with cancer having to undergo chemo to live and children who have gender dysphoria who under no circumstances *need* to transition at a young age to do the same? You are a literal walking joke.
a 40% suicide attempt rate amongst a community doesn't express a need for medical intervention?

OZ9000

Banned

You can't be this stupid can you?

Please do a cursory search on osteopenia and risk of major fragility fracture.

Many studies have shown that fragility fracture risk will increase by one-to-three times if BMD reduced by one standard deviation.

Source:
1. Marshall D, Johnell O, Wedel H. Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 1996; 312:1254–9.
2. Johnell O, Kanis JA, Oden A, Johansson H, De Laet C, Delmas P, et al. Predictive value of BMD for hip and other fractures. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20:1185–94.
3. Cauley JA, Hochberg MC, Lui LY, Palermo L, Ensrud KE, Hillier TA, et al. Long-term risk of incident vertebral fractures. JAMA 2007; 298:2761–7.

But I'm not sure why I am quoting studies here. This is common knowledge. Osteopenia and osteoporosis is simply bad news. You are more likely to fracture your hip or vertebrae as a result.

Last edited:
You can't be this stupid can you?

Please do a cursory search on osteopenia and risk of major fragility fracture.

Many studies have shown that fragility fracture risk will increase by one-to-three times if BMD reduced by one standard deviation.

Source:
1. Marshall D, Johnell O, Wedel H. Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 1996; 312:1254–9.
2. Johnell O, Kanis JA, Oden A, Johansson H, De Laet C, Delmas P, et al. Predictive value of BMD for hip and other fractures. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20:1185–94.
3. Cauley JA, Hochberg MC, Lui LY, Palermo L, Ensrud KE, Hillier TA, et al. Long-term risk of incident vertebral fractures. JAMA 2007; 298:2761–7.

Knock yourself out.

We are speaking of a specific group where the study doesn't show a high enough increase to deem it a major issue.

"Globally, fractures occurred in 3.3% of the transwomen (67 out of 2023 patients) and the overall fracture incidence was no greater in transwomen compared with age-matched reference men or women."

Your issue is with the study not me. I'm referring back to the study.

FunkMiller

a 40% suicide attempt rate amongst a community doesn't express a need for medical intervention?

Not surgeries, or life altering procedures, no.

Suicidal ideation is treated via counselling, and pharmaceuticals to address chemical imbalance in the brain that lead to the depressive state.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

We are speaking of a specific group where the study doesn't show a high enough increase to deem it a major issue.

"Globally, fractures occurred in 3.3% of the transwomen (67 out of 2023 patients) and the overall fracture incidence was no greater in transwomen compared with age-matched reference men or women."

Your issue is with the study not me. I'm referring back to the study.
Yes, I am aware what the study has reported. This doesn't change the fact that low BMD is the biggest independent risk factor for fragility fracture. Of course there are other factors involved eg risk of falls.

Not surgeries, or life altering procedures, no.

Suicidal ideation is treated via counselling, and pharmaceuticals to address chemical imbalance in the brain.
Surgeries are done primarily on adults, I'm against bottom surgery for trans youth. Hormone blockers are reversible, refer to studies up to. If at any point the data shows the impacts are long term, highly damaging and irreversible I will change my opinion.

Yes, I am aware what the study has reported. This doesn't change the fact that low BMD is the biggest independent risk factor for fragility fracture. Of course there are other factors involved eg risk of falls.
Okay, this is where we have nowhere to go as a conversation, I appreciate the data you provided and looking at the data I provided...but I will trust the studies specified to the trans community. I hope more data is continue to be provided.

FunkMiller

Surgeries are done primarily on adults, I'm against bottom surgery for trans youth. Hormone blockers are reversible, refer to studies up to. If at any point the data shows the impacts are long term, highly damaging and irreversible I will change my opinion.

From the NHS website:

Puberty blockers (gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogues) pause the physical changes of puberty, such as breast development or facial hair.

Little is known about the long-term side effects of hormone or puberty blockers in children with gender dysphoria.

Although GIDS advises this is a physically reversible treatment if stopped, it is not known what the psychological effects may be.

It's also not known whether hormone blockers affect the development of the teenage brain or children's bones. Side effects may also include hot flushes, fatigue and mood alterations.

From the age of 16, teenagers who've been on hormone blockers for at least 12 months may be given cross-sex hormones, also known as gender-affirming hormones.

These hormones cause some irreversible changes, such as:

• breast development (caused by taking oestrogen)
  • breaking or deepening of the voice (caused by taking testosterone)
Long-term cross-sex hormone treatment may cause temporary or even permanent infertility.

However, as cross-sex hormones affect people differently, they should not be considered a reliable form of contraception.

So, no. Hormone blockers are not completely reversible.

OZ9000

Banned
Okay, this is where we have nowhere to go as a conversation, I appreciate the data you provided and looking at the data I provided...but I will trust the studies specified to the trans community. I hope more data is continue to be provided.
Yes you do you - continue to focus on that very specific and small limited study despite common knowledge that having lower bone mineral density - regardless of whether you are trans or cis - confers a much higher risk of a major fracture. Enjoy your 2x risk of breaking your hip or spine.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Primarily is not good enough. No kid should be getting life-altering surgeries or therapies.

The problem with a lot of this is the medical community has been compromised and indoctrinated. They're performing procedures based on "studies" that don't even prove what they purport to. There is an agenda out there to mislead to further agendas. If you read the data in the studies, they're a total joke. Not even close to proving what they claim they prove.

That said, you can listen to individuals who've detransitioned speak about their experiences with surgeries, puberty blockers, CSH, etc, and the disaster stories from them. And even if they're outliers, a few disaster stories are too many. Because these are irreversible issues that affect these people. And these are kids. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't work in the favor of allowing these treatments to continue because if kids grow into adults and realize it wasn't a phase and they're still definitely trans, they can transition then. But with those who ended up not being so and they've had their lives ruined by surgeries or therapies there's nothing they can do. They're screwed for life. Listening to detransitioners speak out was such an eye opening experience. Listening to girls with deep voices because they were on testosterone, or who've had their beasts removed. Listening to girls who have issues with their ovaries. Listening to young boys who've had their penis removed or feel weak and sickly due to being on therapies for a while. It breaks your heart, brings you to tears.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Primarily is not good enough. No kid should be getting life-altering surgeries or therapies.

The problem with a lot of this is the medical community has been compromised and indoctrinated. They're performing procedures based on "studies" that don't even prove what they purport to. There is an agenda out there to mislead to further agendas. If you read the data in the studies, they're a total joke. Not even close to proving what they claim they prove.

That said, you can listen to individuals who've detransitioned speak about their experiences with surgeries, puberty blockers, CSH, etc, and the disaster stories from them. And even if they're outliers, a few disaster stories are too many. Because these are irreversible issues that affect these people. And these are kids. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't work in the favor of allowing these treatments to continue because if kids grow into adults and realize it wasn't a phase and they're still definitely trans, they can transition then. But with those who ended up not being so and they've had their lives ruined by surgeries or therapies there's nothing they can do. They're screwed for life. Listening to detransitioners speak out was such an eye opening experience. Listening to girls with deep voices because they were on testosterone, or who've had their beasts removed. Listening to girls who have issues with their ovaries. Listening to young boys who've had their penis removed or feel weak and sickly due to being on therapies for a while. It breaks your heart, brings you to tears.
Well said. Surgery may permanently affect your ability to toilet/urinate and sexual function. Complications can be mild to serious (deep seated infections, strictures and fistulas). Attempting to distort normal anatomy in such a radical manner is quite frankly scary.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Well said. Surgery may permanently affect your ability to toilet/urinate and sexual function. Complications can be mild to serious. Attempting to distort normal anatomy in such a radical manner is quite frankly scary.
And risk for major infections. Imagine a young teen finding out they will never experience orgasm for the rest of their lives.

A few people collapse from a drug in this country and it'll be immediately recalled for an investigation.

Someone goes to the doctor complaining of knee or back pain and surgery is always an absolute last resort. And these are actual physical tangible ailments that won't resolve themselves any other day.

People getting unnecessary trans surgeries? Rushed after a couple consultations, and no ban whatsoever. In fact, the medical community is doubling down. The scary part is they've abandoned their own scientific and medical standards with this topic in favor of an ideology.
Detransitioners are the actual ignored minority.
The way they're treated goes to show you have fraudulent the movement is. It's all about "acceptance and love" until someone says they detransitioned, then they're attacked and become outcasts. Like someone realizing a cult wasn't for them and wanting out.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
I wish we could converse without insults, but therapy is important. I'm in therapy, but also on SSRI's because the combination of both therapy and medicinal intervention is the most effective combo.

You are right that I shouldn't be using insults, however when you continue to misinterpret basic scientific studies to push this horrifying mindset of allowing life altering drugs to CHILDREN, any compassion or respect I may have had go out the window. SSRIs are NOT the same thing in any way, shape, or form and shouldn't even be brought up in the conversation.

SSRIs help reduce the reuptake of Serotonin within the brain by neurons, allowing for proper pathways to be built by the neurotransmitter. This brings back original functionality of the brain.

Hormonal blockers alter the brain's chemistry on a massive scale. GnRH analogues for example subpress the body's ability to release sex hormones. The body is a very complicated system with millions of pathways that lead into, feed, and are fed off one another. I would suggest you actually pick up a chemistry textbook and educate yourself on some biochemistry. This literally changes the body's intended function and, when given to someone who is still developing, can develop lifelong physical (let alone mental) problems that will never go away. This is stated in the numerous reports that you seem to fail to understand.

Detransitioners are the actual ignored minority.

At this point, it isn't a minority. It is the majority. Most that transition, especially as of the last 10 or so years since this cultural shift, have detransitioned. So many that just underwent a temperary bout of gender dysphoria end up causing severe, life long issues thanks to pushes by groomers and other such mentally ill individuals by heavily insinuating, if not outright stating that they are "Trans", when they never were.

Which just further causes issues for *actual* trans individuals who are now associated with these crazies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom