• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin's Creed Shadows team has a message for our Japanese community

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Their official response, which can be read in full below, has been shared via the Assassin's Creed Twitter account half an hour ago:

GTKQnjGawAAO42N

GTKQnjgbEAA5gBE

GTKQnj4aAAA6OJ1

GTKQnkVagAAB9GC

Hudo

Any effort to honor the setting they're working in vanished after Patrice Desilet left. He also took/accepted creative liberties but his games never felt like a "fuck you" to the setting. There's no reason why they couldn't make a normal-ass Japanese Samurai (or a female Samurai, I think they were called Onna Bushi(?). Or a widow of a Samurai, picking up the sword for revenge. That was also a thing. So there are also opportunities for authentic female characters as a Samurai alternative) be the hero and have Yasuke appear as a supporting character or something. Maybe have a DLC where you can play as him. Centering a game around him because your DEI deparment told you to, which is how this whole thing looks like, is, by definition, racist.

Another thing would be if there is a gameplay justification. That playing as Yasuke gives you a core gameplay opportunity/mechanic that is hard to incorporate with the in game lore/story otherwise. But I haven't seen any.

Edit: I think these games would benefit, much like Star Wars Outlaws, from a character creator. You can still write a character and have a voice actor. But hand over the decision of the appearance to the players. With the Desmond storyline being completely sidelined and ruined, you can let players have the freedom of making their own walking abomination, imho. I mean, if you already don't care about the setting, might as well go all the way. I wanna play as Danny DeVito in Feudal Japan.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

The fact that Ubisoft has to make these post makes me sad. People are so childish. Do they though Assassin's creed were history book ?
Since the beginning Assassin's Creed are historical fiction. But suddenly it's a problem if they do not depict a historical character "properly".

Nobody complaint when Leonardo Da Vinci worked with a secret Assassin's guild.

I really don't get all the bad feedback they got because of that.

HL3.exe

The fact that Ubisoft has to make these post makes me sad. People are so childish. Do they though Assassin's creed were history book ?
Since the beginning Assassin's Creed are historical fiction. But suddenly it's a problem if they do not depict a historical character "properly".

Nobody complaint when Leonardo Da Vinci worked with a secret Assassin's guild.

I really don't get all the bad feedback they got because of that.
True. Nobody cared about the apple of Eden nonsense either. Why? Because it's exaggerated reality. It's fiction semi-based on historical events. It's not a documentary or empirically fact checked work. It's entertainment, who cares.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I could be wrong here since I didn’t play AC game since AC2 on 360 but isn’t the series sci-f? I even heard it has magic artifacts and fantasy elements…..why exactly needs to be accurate to the history?

Also it’s not like Japan doesn’t do the same….I mean I’m currently playing Jeann D’Arc and LOVING the game but it’s not exactly super accurate to actual history since it has demons, magic and even fantasy races like elves and beasts.

Last edited:

Acidjuice

the game series that has players enter a cyber world and interact with gods that never actually existed isn't historically accurate? wild!
the same people who complain about this also complain when games try to make characters ethnically accurate.
its unbelieveable.

Embearded

Didn't they also use Chinese decorations in the world?

I can accept they wanted to handle Yasuke in their own way. They have already used other historical figures in the past anyway.

But if you want to say it's in feudal Japan, you should make it look as close to that as possible.

Last edited:

Braag

Apparently Japan started an investigation on Thomas Lockley , the guy "consulting" Ubisoft about Yasuke, whom he said was "legendary samurai". He had also claimed that black slaves were popular in feudal Japan.
Japan said people could demand compensation over the fake assumptions of black slavery in Japan and Nihon University erased Thomas Lockley's work and resume. He has pretty much vanished since.
I think that's the main reason Japan is so angry.

Last edited:
Didn't they also use Chinese decorations in the world?

I can accept they wanted to handle Yasuke in their own way. They have already used other historical figures in the past anyway.

But if you want to say it's in feudal Japan, you should make it look as close to that as possible.
That why they write this they are change everything that's not Japanese, expect racist

MayauMiao

Apparently Japan started an investigation on Thomas Lockley , the guy "consulting" Ubisoft about Yasuke, whom he said was "legendary samurai". He had also claimed that black slaves were popular in feudal Japan.
Japan said people could demand compensation over the fake assumptions of black slavery in Japan and Nihon University erased Thomas Lockley's work and resume. He has pretty much vanished since.

I think he was also caught editing Wikipedia on Yasuke, self credit facts based on the books he wrote.

The fact that he was expelled from his job is quite telling.

The very, very English historian that spun speculations into fact has already been forcibly ejected from his position in Academia and shut down all his social media. That was the major hustler that was selling the Black Samurai historical fact narrative back to the west. The government in turn is posing questions to the university that employed him and vouched for him.

Yeah..... that's how Japan is dealing with this bullshit.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Apparently Japan started an investigation on Thomas Lockey , the guy "consulting" Ubisoft about Yasuke, whom he said was "legendary samurai". He had also claimed that black slaves were popular in feudal Japan.
Japan said people could demand compensation over the fake assumptions of black slavery in Japan and Nihon University erased Thomas Lockey's work and resume. He has pretty much vanished since.

I hope Paolo from Tokyo catches up with him and does a 'Day in the Life of a Grifter' collaboration video.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Their official response, which can be read in full below, has been shared via the Assassin's Creed Twitter account half an hour ago:

GTKQnjGawAAO42N

GTKQnjgbEAA5gBE

GTKQnj4aAAA6OJ1

GTKQnkVagAAB9GC
I trully understand... its not like japan history has interesting japanese samurai characters that can be portrayed in this fictional japanese world ... for me its ok and I really think western devs and journalists would be perfectly fine if the protagonist of an historic African assassin's creed game was the one White guy that leaved there at the time. Afterall what matters is the fiction and the fun.

john2gr

The problem with AC: Shadows is the way they tried to advertise it. This quote is from the OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE.

"Assassin’s Creed Shadows takes place in 16th-century Japan during the Azuchi-Momoyama era. Players will play as two distinct characters, a Japanese shinobi, Naoe, and a real-life historical samurai, Yasuke."

So, saying that your game is fiction (after a whole backlash) when you clearly state in your press release that the character is a real-life historical samurai is pure nonsense. Just take the L instead of constantly lying to your customers.

Mokus

At first they were obviously trying hard to pass this game as historically accurate. Now all of the sudden it's about exploring different choices and what not... Clearly it's damage control since correcting anything at this stage in the game development is almost impossible. They would need to delay the game probably even for a year.

Top Bottom