• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobb has started doing AP tuning testing for 2012 STIs:

388530_321484407881609_131084596921592_1222161_1237620676_n.jpg

Damn that is a big jump in torque!

Gonna buy a Scibaryota FRZ-86 as long as the price is reasonable here in the states and it doesn't get like 10 miles per gallon or something, lol.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Tyler; it fits what I need and it's better than my 1999 Grand Prix. Which was a step up from the death trap I drove before then.

robox

So guys, does anyone here do any type of motorsport activities with their cars? I've been getting into drifting more and more. I've been doing events for a while now but I had to stop since we bought a new build house. I'm planning to come back strong once Silvia's are legal for use in Canada (2 more years).

I've been stocking up parts while I wait though. I don't want to update my spread sheet because I'm scared of the total (I'm over $10K for sure)....

which silvia? s15? 'cos the 13 and 14 have been around for years.
i have a very vague goal of getting a jzx100, aiming for a cresta.

ameratsu

I'm sure he's referring the 15 year rule. Cars 15 years old or older by date of manufacture can be imported for use in Canada. I see older skylines, rx-7s, early evos, etc around here pretty frequently.

Since he said 2 more years, he has to be referring the s15, which would be possible to import starting in 2014.

EDIT: Badly beaten!

Come the spring I'm going to do the performance driving school at mid-ohio, build up a spec miata or 944 (okay probably miata, 944 would be pretty costly), then go back for a competition license and get into NASA racing. I'm torn between going NASA or SCCA, but having mid-ohio an hour and a half away is making me lean towards NASA (the closest SCCA licensing school is much farther away).

Unfortunately they do all their teaching at mid-ohio with Acura TLs. Uhh... okay, I guess?

Oh that sounds like fun. I have road racing friends who drive to the US to hit up events. I've been a few times and it's a good time, but I like to slide more then anything else.

You mentioned a Miata, my friend has a fairly modified one and it's a BLAST to drive. It's like a super quick go kart on the track. So tight and nimble around corners. I meant to get out to track more with him, but schedules always clashed during the summer. I only got to make it out to the track with him a hand full of times.

Yeah an S15 Silvia. They were never sold in North America and here in Canada, you can legally import one for use after 15 years (It used to be 10). I used to have a S14 Zenki but I long since sold it.

I still have the driving bug so I've been collecting parts ever since I sold my car. I've got wayyy more things than I'd care to admit HAHA. The yen is putting a damper on things as of late but I've still got my eyes on a few things...

robox

i know all about canada's 15 year import rule. friend got an r32 gt-r that way.
hence my comment about wanting the cresta. 2.5L straight 6 turbo. rear drive. 4 doors. from toyota, so you can just bag on it and not care. some inspiration

Zyzyxxz

hence my comment about wanting the cresta. 2.5L straight 6 turbo. rear drive. 4 doors. from toyota, so you can just bag on it and not care. some inspiration

Basically the same car as the Cressida in the USA, I use to have an older one and was planning on dropping a 1JZ into it but unfortunately I gave up on it.

The 2.5 1JZ is a freaking amazing engine, truly a perfect little brother/precursor to the 2JZ and it's from an age when Toyota made awesome sport cars/sedans.

Although I think I'm crazy now because I want to buy an old Hong Kong Toyota Crown taxi and just drive it around as it is.

ameratsu

Evo GT 86 Review said:
GT 86 development engineer Yoshi Sasaki says the GT 86 is for those who are bored with cars that are too powerful with their turbo engines, have too much grip with their huge tyres and four-wheel drive, cost too much and don't let the driver do enough. 'A fun car,' he says, 'is a car that you control.'

Nice reviews. That quote is directly applicable to this thread. haha

Viperbah

Originally Posted by Evo GT 86 Review:
GT 86 development engineer Yoshi Sasaki says the GT 86 is for those who are bored with cars that are too powerful with their turbo engines, have too much grip with their huge tyres and four-wheel drive, cost too much and don't let the driver do enough. 'A fun car,' he says, 'is a car that you control.'

I feel the exact opposite from this statement.

Driving a fast car fast>Driving a slow car fast.

I have a friend in Japan who has a JZX100 *Chaser* and I'd LOVE to have one (well I could import one) but the maintenance and parts cost is out of this world expensive! I'd love to drift a 4 door with a engine that loves to be driven hard.

Parts for a Silvia are already expensive as is. For a JZX100 it's triple the cost in some circumstances (Example, I bought a Tomei Turbo manifold for about $500 US, a Tomei manifold for a JZX100 is $1800 CND).

I wish I had the money to build one proper (like my friend) but it's a bit too much for me right now. If I wanted to drop that type of cash, I'd buy a GTR34 (which I plan to do).

Basically the same car as the Cressida in the USA, I use to have an older one and was planning on dropping a 1JZ into it but unfortunately I gave up on it.

The 2.5 1JZ is a freaking amazing engine, truly a perfect little brother/precursor to the 2JZ and it's from an age when Toyota made awesome sport cars/sedans.

Although I think I'm crazy now because I want to buy an old Hong Kong Toyota Crown taxi and just drive it around as it is.

You're not crazy, that's boss status right there ^_^

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I feel the exact opposite from this statement.

Driving a fast car fast>Driving a slow car fast.
i think you're missing the point. hes not talking about driving this car fast at all. if you want that, get a supra.

a car purely built for speed around a windy road down a mountain is completely different from a car designed for those roads.

ive seen videos of a corolla beating a skyline, simply because the corolla handled better. of course on a straight track, the skyline would woop ass.

robox

I have a friend in Japan who has a JZX100 *Chaser* and I'd LOVE to have one (well I could import one) but the maintenance and parts cost is out of this world expensive!

kinda what i figured, since there's absolutely no support for that car outside jp-land. that's why it's a vague vague goal. but ya, it's straight up boss when you do it right.

guess i'll jump on the 86 bandwagon in the meantime.

Viperbah

i think you're missing the point. hes not talking about driving this car fast at all. if you want that, get a supra.

a car purely built for speed around a windy road down a mountain is completely different from a car designed for those roads.

ive seen videos of a corolla beating a skyline, simply because the corolla handled better. of course on a straight track, the skyline would woop ass.

I get what your saying, it's easier to push a slower well balanced car faster in some instances, but on average tracks your not going to convince me this car is more fun to drive than a GTR/supra/whatever.

Well yeah, but how often do you get to really drive a fast car fast?

Really not often, I take trips to VIR occasionally but I haven't in a while. Ive only taken my current car once. I get your point thou...driving fast with my car on the street is stupid and reckless, a GT 86 on the other hand would be much more practical.

Gonna buy a Scibaryota FRZ-86 as long as the price is reasonable here in the states and it doesn't get like 10 miles per gallon or something, lol.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Tyler; it fits what I need and it's better than my 1999 Grand Prix. Which was a step up from the death trap I drove before then.

Same here. Although I am downgrading from a 370z. :( I just need to be more responsible financially.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Same here. Although I am downgrading from a 370z. :( I just need to be more responsible financially.

If you're already making payments on a car like the 370Z, there's no sense in replacing it with a car that'll be worth at most a few thousand less. Especially since Zs depreciate like crap, so you may actually be upside down on a trade and be paying the same or more. Trading in a car with a similar value makes no sense in this situation.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I get what your saying, it's easier to push a slower well balanced car faster in some instances, but on average tracks your not going to convince me this car is more fun to drive than a GTR/supra/whatever.
I would say good handling is used just as much as good acceleration, at least as far as a daily driver goes. So just to be clear, i'm not saying your opinion is wrong. Different people like different things.

I like control, you like speed. To have the best of both worlds, I don't think you could find much better than an aerial atom. Though not really a daily driver type car.

anyways, i found some videos that illustrate my point.
350z vs AE86

AE86 vs Skyline

If you're already making payments on a car like the 370Z, there's no sense in replacing it with a car that'll be worth at most a few thousand less. Especially since Zs depreciate like crap, so you may actually be upside down on a trade and be paying the same or more. Trading in a car with a similar value makes no sense in this situation.

Really depends on how long he keeps it.

JackEtc

Are usually best for price. Why not got to a vw forum to find out more stuff instead of relying on someone calling your car a pile?

golfmkv.com
vwvortex.com
I have been looking into these forums, but it really does seem like guys wanted to tune up their GTIs. I'm not really interested in increasing performance past the exhaust on it (which was already on when I bought it), and I'm happy with the visual modifications made. I just want it to not ride like shit.
Honestly, I'd go with Koni Yellows and buy someone's stock springs for like $20 if you don't want to drop the car a lot and just want a really nice, comfortable ride.
Alright, I think this is what I'll plan on doing. I'll talk to my Dad about it, I'll post in here if any more questions come up from either of us. Thanks again for the help!

Viperbah

I would say good handling is used just as much as good acceleration, at least as far as a daily driver goes. So just to be clear, i'm not saying your opinion is wrong. Different people like different things.

I like control, you like speed. To have the best of both worlds, I don't think you could find much better than an aerial atom. Though not really a daily driver type car.

anyways, i found some videos that illustrate my point.
350z vs AE86

AE86 vs Skyline

Really depends on how long he keeps it.

Good points and totally agree.

I'm not hating on the gt 86, I respect Toyota for what their doing with it, it's just not my preference.

I guess that's why I always choose barbarian as a starting class in RPGs, haha

Ovid

I think the BRZ/FR-S is perfect for what I want in a car right now. Should be able to trade in my 2003 Accord EX v6 sedan and put about 3-4K down and be right around or lower than what my payments on the Accord were and have a really fun daily driver with a warranty, better gas mileage, and decent utility with the rear seats folded. Most importantly, I will be back in a sports car!

The stock power should be plenty for now and in time if I ever feel it is lacking there will be options to scratch that itch. I have had tons of fun in considerably slower cars and being able to fully enjoy the power that is on hand every day is a huge plus IMO.

LOL, sports car. Is this car really consider a "sports car". When I think of sports car, I think of Corvette's, Ferrari's and Lamborghini's. Basically, any two-seater, with great handling and POWER.

LOL, sports car. Is this car really consider a "sports car". When I think of sports car, I think of Corvette's, Ferrari's and Lamborghini's. Basically, any two-seater, with great handling and POWER.

Kind of a narrow-sighted and ultimately wrong definition of a sports car. Sports cars don't need huge amounts of power. That'd be like saying the Miata isn't a sports car, or classic '60's roadsters, or the S2000, etc.

In fact, your pre-requisite of 'power' disqualifies itself simply because you don't need huge amounts of power to be fast on a track.

Ovid

Wikipedia has this definition

A sports car (or sportscar or sport car) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for high speed driving and maneuverability.Sports cars have been either spartan or luxurious, but good handling, minimum weight, and high performance are requisite.

A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes. Performance cars of all configurations are grouped as Sports and Grand tourer cars or, occasionally, as performance

The GT-86 is a sports compact just like the Celica.

As for the exotics I mentioned, I'm just telling you guys the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions "sports car" to me. Those cars are sports cars but in a class of their own (super-high performance vehicles). The S2000, Miata, 370Z, Camaro, Mustang and Genesis are all a tier bellow those monsters. But all are considered sports cars.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I've always wanted to build a project car.

And now I have the chance.

As much as I wish I could do crazy engine swaps and build grey-market supercars, I need to be realistic about the budget I have. I do have a single friend in the burbs who is letting me use his extra garage space. And as of this weekend, I will be the proud owner of a 1985 Corolla GT-S.

I'm going to deliver some tofu with a quickness.

edit: I need a nice 4AG engine.

The GT-86 is a sports compact just like the Celica.

As for the exotics I mentioned, I'm just telling you guys the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions "sports car" to me. Those cars are sports cars but in a class of their own (super-high performance vehicles). The S2000, Miata, 370Z, Camaro, Mustang and Genesis are all a tier bellow those monsters. But all are considered sports cars.

You're quoting wiki? The quote even says that sports compact falls under modifications of production vehicles. The BRZ/GT86 is a brand new design. I'm not laying down my own interpretations here, just poking holes.

Is there even legislation that defines a sports car? If not then the term is subjective so there's no point cracking this 'joke'.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

I was contemplating that, but I was going to go the drop in route and not get too Frankenstein. I'd like to keep it as light as possible.

Viperbah

I was contemplating that, but I was going to go the drop in route and not get too Frankenstein. I'd like to keep it as light as possible.

LS1s are fairly light, I know nothing about the swap on an 85 GT-S thou. I have helped put them into a miata and an RX-7.

What are your goals with the car?

ChiTownBuffalo

LS1s are fairly light, I know nothing about the swap on an 85 GT-S thou. I have helped put them into a miata and an RX-7.

What are your goals with the car?

A well rounded vehicle with drift-ability. Just something fun to drive around in and maybe autocross in. Put deep dish rims on.

130_0612_03_z%252B1985_toyota_corolla_ae86%252Bleft_front_view.jpg

Viperbah

Well, good luck man.

With older cars like that pretty much everything needs to be upgraded, so I dunno if you already bought the car or not...but my advice is to just get a roller with a decent body and good frame(no rust) etc.

A sports car (or sportscar or sport car) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for high speed driving and maneuverability.Sports cars have been either spartan or luxurious, but good handling, minimum weight, and high performance are requisite.

"high performance" can mean anything from high horsepower, good handling, good gearing, good tires, good braking, etc. What good is high horsepower if you can't control or handle it? 700hp on a track doesn't automatically win.

sca2511

Curbed my front right wheel yesterday, so god damn angry.

i1hqel.jpg

honlll.jpg

8TwJwl.jpg

Also got a door ding from an 8 year old kid a few weeks ago. ugh.

Zyzyxxz

A well rounded vehicle with drift-ability. Just something fun to drive around in and maybe autocross in. Put deep dish rims on.

130_0612_03_z%252B1985_toyota_corolla_ae86%252Bleft_front_view.jpg

Except too bad they are ridiculously expensive for what it is.

I haven't looked recently but the stupid Initial D craze got prices up to 3-5K for one a few years ago. For a 20 year old body? Yeah right.

At the time it made much more sense to buy a used 240SX instead, in fact I remember seeing plenty of them being sold with SR20's already installed for $6-8K which made much more sense than an AE86 since with an SR20 it has enough power for drifting and potential for more if you mod the engine or upgrade turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom