• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Which is the most 'badass' car of all time? I don't mean best. I don't mean fastest. I mean Rocky IV trailer inexplicable badass.

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959
Or the Lamborghini Countach.

Think posters. Think 80s music. Think words like radical, badass and awesome. You decide.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Which is the most 'badass' car of all time? I don't mean best. I don't mean fastest. I mean Rocky IV trailer inexplicable badass.

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959

Think posters. Think 80s music. Think words like radical, badass and awesome. You decide.
I love all three to fucking death, and am a Ferrari fanboy to the core but..
Countach.

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959

McClaren F1. The only three seater hypercar where you can look to either side of you and see your two best friends screaming as you go through a corner at 110.

But if I have to pick out of those three... sorry man, it's the 959.

AcridMeat

Banned
Most 80's, Countach. My favorite out of those 3, probably the 959. My answer is
the F40

How come you didn't include the 308 in that? Much prefer that to a Testarossa.

golem

Curbed my front right wheel yesterday, so god damn angry.

i1hqel.jpg

honlll.jpg

8TwJwl.jpg

Also got a door ding from an 8 year old kid a few weeks ago. ugh.
A good wheel repair guy would fix that right up..

kylej

Banned
Badass but not 'best' or 'fastest'? Probably have to go with a big black sedan I suppose, like the current Maserati lineup or a Rolls or maybe an older Aston ie

6294535225_65c71be8b8_b.jpg

6252712742_2c9d4f405f_b.jpg

Badass should mean something with presence.

anyway if you guys are into cars, there's a guy at SA who goes by JuanChai who takes photos of cars in Hong Kong. HK has an incredible amount of enthusiasts, some of the cars are just jaw dropping.

here's a current batch - http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/sets/72157628049591664/

hundreds and hundreds more at his flickr.

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959

Countach.

Though as kylej said, a rolls royce is pretty 'badass' in my books.

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959

what, no F40?

robox

Except too bad they are ridiculously expensive for what it is.

I haven't looked recently but the stupid Initial D craze got prices up to 3-5K for one a few years ago. For a 20 year old body? Yeah right.

at this point, screw "value." if you can save 1 more from the junkyard, do it. a nice, clean, properly restored example is still a thing to behold. even if it's done all vanilla'd with stock body, lowered and wheels.
6342038453_1539894f27_b.jpg

aznpxdd

Hmm...thinking of picking up a nice used car for around 50-60k in a year. This will be a garage queen since I will only be driving it at most 2 months of the year. Any suggestions?

Hmm...thinking of picking up a nice used car for around 50-60k in a year. This will be a garage queen since I will only be driving it at most 2 months of the year. Any suggestions?

Why don't you ask when it's closer to that time? And give some decent idea of what the car must have.

I want to own a 911 Turbo in the next 3 years but I'm not asking which color I should get right now... lol

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959

I don't think badass when I think of any of those cars. I think douchebag. I saw a Countach rolling down the expressway a couple weeks ago it looks ridiculous. Plus, the Countach is forever associated with Tommy Tallarico, the least badass Italian musician to ever walk the earth. The Testarossa is only slightly better, but it's associated with Miami Vice and 80's yuppies. The Porsche gets disqualified because it's an 80's Porsche. The only badass Porsche was was the 550 because that's the one that killed James Dean.

Badass cars... Must be black.

British Muscle
aston-martin-v8-vantage%20(4).jpg

Australian Muscle
L-Ford-Falcon-XB-Mad-Max-Replica-2.jpg

American Muscle
1974PontiacGTO.jpg

cajunator

Banned

It is either:

The Ferrari Testarossa.
the Porsche 959

Those cars are very nice, but I'd go with something a bit more obscure/special. Like these:
08H5H315703089AB.jpeg

08H5H315703089AC.jpeg

12732d1108046757-early-giocattolo-magazine-article-giocon3.jpeg

1970-Monteverdi-Hai-2.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
I agree the Pantera is pretty cool.

I've always quite liked these too.
78439065_o.jpg

I realize the looks may not fall under what would be considered bad ass, but the car was.

Okay I'd call this bad ass too, but maybe I'm mixing in just favorite cars now.
1974-lancia-stratos-6_460x0w.jpg

Zyzyxxz

anyway if you guys are into cars, there's a guy at SA who goes by JuanChai who takes photos of cars in Hong Kong. HK has an incredible amount of enthusiasts, some of the cars are just jaw dropping.

here's a current batch - http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/sets/72157628049591664/

hundreds and hundreds more at his flickr.

Jesus christ those pictures are beautiful! I just got back from Hong Kong about a month ago and each time I go I keep a lookout for cars.

People over there appreciate their cars no matter what price level it's at since maintaining one is like having a second wife that can't work (parking depending on location can be around $1000 USD a month, gas is almost double compared to the states, and traffic can be horrible considering the dominance of pedestrians). You rarely see guys shitting up their cars and driving around with a bondo bumper and some shitty fart can.

J-Rzez

Im wanting to see some actual dyno pulls, I am interested in the drivetrain loss.

brzengine.jpg

Damn, that engine bay is messy and ugly.

Look at those sexy strut tower bars lol, talk about cutting costs. Then again, I'm sure TRD and SPT will have a much better and nicer looking one for you sitting in the showroom showcase for you to tack onto the final price of the car.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm totally identifying myself as a card carrying out of it American clod by picking a Corvette as the most badass car ever, but the C2 was a classic.

Xj80f.jpg

yea i know, but you gotta admit its pretty damn efficient and reliable. IMO it just kills the soul of a car, i.e. E30 M3 or an FD RX-7.

I get that...After the initial cost of the swap, it's pretty reliable. Now I've driven a S13 with a LS2 swap and the torque band was nice and having it instantly was sweet (not having to clutch kick as much)...But I'm still not sold on it.

I agree with you on the fact that it kinda takes the soul out of the car. For me it took the fun out of drifting. If I close my eyes at a event, I feel like I'm watching NASCAR (ugly groan of LSx)...

Zyzyxxz

Went to the Cadillac CTS-V track event at Fontana, CA Speedway and it was a good learning experience with a bit of marketing and product placement as expected but overall it was cool getting to meet John Heinricy who engineered the CTS-V and is credited with helping to save the Corvette back in 1997.

Overall having put the car in it's paces on the track gave me a good impression overall, grips very well and I wouldn't be embarrassed to own one personally, just don't have the money for it.

It's finally coming. Acura is showing off their new NSX Concept in less than a month at the Detroit Auto Show.

And here's the details about the car itself:

NSX (Concept)
Alongside the flagship, a new "super sports car" shares the role as the range topper for Acura. Acura didn't officially call it the NSX during their presentation, but everybody we spoke with following the presentation said it was indeed the NSX successor. I took that as good news. UPDATE: In their press release released this morning, Acura is calling it the "NSX Concept". Some text below is updated to reflect that.

Acura showed us the actual NSX Concept which will be revealed in Detroit next month. Unfortunately there was no photography allowed, but I can tell you that this will be one of the biggest reveals for Acura in recent history. Basically this is the car that was spied on the "Avengers" set late in the Summer, but it's clearly been further developed and it's also in hard-top form. Finished in a sliver paint, the concept is absolutely stunning, and carries on the NSX tradition of a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout. The design is muscular, futuristic, and sharp, and vaguely similar to the Audi R8.

Compared to the "Avengers" car, the front end on this concept actually has working LED headlights - there are 5 "squircle" projectors embedded within each headlight housing. The rear bumper is also virtually identical to the "Avengers" car but with a real roof and backlight and more "production-looking" taillights, the overall visage is considerably different. Like the "flagship", the exhaust finishers are integrated into the bumper. A really cool (but not necessarily original) styling element is the "flying buttress" C-pillars. The C-pillars feature a "pass-through" which appears to be designed to channel air smoothly around the cockpit and over the rear of the vehicle. It's like an elongated version of the flying buttress seen on the Ferrari 599 - the NSX has a much faster angle on the backlight, which naturally lengthens the C-pillar. The gap between the C-pillar and the glass is fairly narrow, however. For the record, this concept wore Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 255/35ZR19 size up front, and 275/30ZR20s in the rear.

Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously.

God, this better be good.

Smokey

Went to the Benz dealership today, wanted to try out a C63. Didn't have any in, but took a look around. They just got in a black SLS convert...what a mean looking car. Goes 240mph and the inside was so good when I sat in it. Sticker price of $224,000,000. God sitting in a car like that makes you wonder what the hell you have to do in life to be able to own such a beast.

Went to the Benz dealership today, wanted to try out a C63. Didn't have any in, but took a look around. They just got in a black SLS convert...what a mean looking car. Goes 240mph and the inside was so good when I sat in it. Sticker price of $224,000,000. God sitting in a car like that makes you wonder what the hell you have to do in life to be able to own such a beast.

Did you make a typo and put $224 Million? When you meant thousand?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Outside of your thoughts on the "retro American muscle" look (I know it's not for everyone), what's your thoughts on this 2009 Challenger?

govoo.jpg

NoHuj.jpg

2009 V8 R/T model
38K miles
leather interior
automatic (meh)
sunroof
clean and clean carfax

Just about $24K even.

Miles seem a bit high, but otherwise, it seems like a good deal. I'd rather have a manual and a black exterior; but for the price, I don't think I'd complain. Thoughts?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It is an Auto!!! Unless you are a Mopar Guy; the Camaro and Mustang beat the Challenger in every performance category.

I completely agree about the auto - it's pretty disappointing. I don't mind the auto at all in my Grand Prix, or if I were to drive an SUV/truck. But for a performance vehicle, I'd much prefer the manual.

That said, I don't *really* care about the performance. I like a car that's big, brash, and sounds *right* if you change out the exhaust with something with a deep roar. But so long as I hit the gas and I can easily take-on the car next to me as I get on the highway 90% of the time, I'm a happy camper. I won't ever race it or anything.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nice car, though the redesigned/updated 2011 cars are much better - with a nicer interior. I'm a fan of the Challenger. Try to find a manual, because the car is very slow with an automatic. And if you end up getting an R/T, make sure you do a few mods to it - there is a lot of untapped power with just bolt-ons from this motor.

Outside of your thoughts on the "retro American muscle" look (I know it's not for everyone), what's your thoughts on this 2009 Challenger?

govoo.jpg

NoHuj.jpg

2009 V8 R/T model
38K miles
leather interior
automatic (meh)
sunroof
clean and clean carfax

Just about $24K even.

Miles seem a bit high, but otherwise, it seems like a good deal. I'd rather have a manual and a black exterior; but for the price, I don't think I'd complain. Thoughts?

Zyzyxxz

It's finally coming. Acura is showing off their new NSX Concept in less than a month at the Detroit Auto Show.

And here's the details about the car itself:

God, this better be good.

Dam looking forward to this! I have high hopes that Honda at least still has some of that flame. I hope that the Nissan GT-R was proof enough that you can sell a Japanese super sports car still.

It is an Auto!!! Unless you are a Mopar Guy; the Camaro and Mustang beat the Challenger in every performance category.

I think the guys who buy it don't care about beating the Mustang but just want something that looks good while still able to go fast. You don't have to beat the Mustang and Camaro to be considered the better muscle car because it's a hopeless race where there's always going to be a faster car. From what I gather those who buy a Challenger want a nice cruiser.

ascii42

2009 V8 R/T model
38K miles
leather interior
automatic (meh)
sunroof
clean and clean carfax

Just about $24K even.

Looks nice. Mileage is tough to judge with muscle cars. You never know what kind of idiot owned the car before you and how much he abused it. I'd like to think with that many, it has a lot of highway miles. Since it has an automatic, it was probably bought more as a cruiser.

That wing is so ridiculous... Doesn't that mess with their aero setup? For a car that's so heavily dependent on handling this seems like a silly move!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom