• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznpxdd

They aren't anywhere close to 400awhp with just the tune.

30tfsi_b8_s4_stg_1_93_vs_stock_wheel.gif

edit: apparently they actually list whp number for awd cars...

b8 s4 stage 2 with good diver is high 11 @117ish. Nothing real mind blowing.

Anyone that would prefer the 3.0tfsi over the 2.5tfsi is fucking crazy.

Revo actually came out with their B8 S4's tune recently, and a customer dyno'd his car at 387WHP @ 93 Oct with JUST a tune. Many B8 S4's have ran on the same dyno with APR's Stage II tune with the pulley and still can't touch Revo's tune. This car is a beast.

Halvie

Banned
Revo actually came out with their B8 S4's tune recently, and a customer dyno'd his car at 387WHP @ 93 Oct with JUST a tune. Many B8 S4's have ran on the same dyno with APR's Stage II tune with the pulley and still can't touch Revo's tune. This car is a beast.

Saw the revo post last night after posting that. Sure it will get more impressive as more development is done.

Maybe I am just expecting too much wanting a true b5 successor. Nice car and all. Excellent interior. Just ehhh on the engine.

I really don't see how it is a beast.

Care to expand, Boob? You've been pretty helpful so far.

He is saying they are too nice for your car.

aznpxdd

Saw the revo post last night after posting that. Sure it will get more impressive as more development is done.

Maybe I am just expecting too much wanting a true b5 successor. Nice car and all. Excellent interior. Just ehhh on the engine.

Well, I think its impressive in the sense that the B8 S4 is fucking 2 tons haha.

coldfoot

Banned
The more I think about it, the more a flat-6 makes sense for the BRZ. Just add 2 more cylinders for 3l and 300hp (maybe even more with higher revs), and that'd be just right for me. Like a front engined Porsche.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Nice pics there Bad_Boy. Trying to find my pics of when I took the Evo offroading. :)
I would love to see those.

Appreciate the pics! Would have you a clear idea on a comparison of a FJ and a JEEP? I know I definitely want one of those in the future but in terms of practicality and off-roading prowess which do you think is a better choice?
Honestly, I think as far as off roading goes... They are fairly equal, with Jeep given the slight edge due to it's approach angles and cheaper aftermarket parts.

That said, as long as you get an FJ equipped with a-trac and a rear locker, the FJ should keep up with any jeep (given the mods are the same). I've been through mountains, snow, beaches, rivers, mud, you name it. I've only been stuck once. And that was in a foot of wet mud with bald tires.

My thing was, I wanted reliability. Something I could have for 10 years no problem. So I went toyota. As I always say though, a stock FJ is pretty ugly. Mod the hell out of it, give it character, and it really stands out. To me, most jeeps look the same. But every FJ looks different.

I wish I had video of this one FJ this weekend. The driver took a trail that I didnt have the guts to take. All rocks, massive rocks. All uphill on a steep incline. I thought he was nuts. The FJ equipped with only a 3" lift and good tires made it look easy. After he finished I was just in shock that toyota made a vehicle that could accomplish something like that.

Zyzyxxz

Thank for the impression. I agree its a bit of an ugly car but I like how practical it is and a little bit of work goes a long way to getting it look badass.

B5 S4 is a piece of shit. Horribly over-engineered, unreliable piece of dog shit that's not worth the nightmare of owning.

New Audis are a big step up.

Aren't those coilover kits and not just springs? I was thinking going with Koni Yellows and then some springs.

Care to expand, Boob? You've been pretty helpful so far.

I'm being honest and blunt (as usual, my apologies) and saying that the KW's are not for a Jetta. Putting KW's on a Jetta would be like eating AAA steak with a side order of roadkill. Sorry.

Koni Yellows are the way to go.

aznpxdd

Look for ST Coilovers. Same thing as the KW V1 at fraction of the price, but supposedly don't last as long as KW in places with Snow.

Or if you want to go cheaper, just get a set of H&R springs, I think your stock shocks should be OK.

Look for ST Coilovers. Same thing as the KW V1 at fraction of the price, but supposedly don't last as long as KW in places with Snow.

Or if you want to go cheaper, just get a set of H&R springs, I think your stock shocks should be OK.

ST really is rebranded KW V1's (which is awesome), but may not be available for his car. And he said he has some shitty Raceland shocks on there which is why his setup rides so horribly...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
B5 Audis have aged poorly - they look like Nissan Sentras on the road today, simply ugly inside and out. And they are extremely unreliable, stock or modded.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm in the market for a new car since I totaled mine last Halloween weekend. Been looking for something between $18,000 and $25,000 that is not only stylish but fun to drive. The Fiat 500 and the Nissan cube have my attention as of today...should I turn it to other brands/models? What do you guys recommend?

mini?

Halvie

Banned
B5 Audis have aged poorly - they look like Nissan Sentras on the road today, simply ugly inside and out. And they are extremely unreliable, stock or modded.

Really... I don't think Audi has made a better looking Sedan since (b6 is still pretty decent. can personally do without the gigantic front grille that all cars are adapting). If you build them properly and follow maintenance they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Granted if you are looking for corolla like reliability look elsewhere, but if you have to choose a car that traps 125 on k04s, or a problematic v8 with zero aftermarket (unless of course you consider a $15k s/c upgrade that traps 117 an actual option) the choice seems pretty easy to me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I loved the way the B5s look, but I think the B8 is better looking. It's just aggressive enough, whereas the B5s are a bit toned down.

Halvie

Banned
I loved the way the B5s look, but I think the B8 is better looking. It's just aggressive enough, whereas the B5s are a bit toned down.

All generations of the a4 are decent looking. I don't like many of the newer models. D2 A8 is also the best looking gen of that car :)

out of your mind if you think this is ugly...

IMG_0385.jpg

reilo

Hold on. Who said anything about it being ugly?

Second, that's an aftermarket bodykit.

Halvie

Banned
Hold on. Who said anything about it being ugly?

Second, that's an aftermarket bodykit.

RS4 front bumper and widebody shit chopped off an rs4 (like 20k just for the widebody stuff...kelly moss motorsports did an insane tial 770 build last year)

Is being likened to a sentra a compliment lol :)

AlphaSnake

Best looking Audi sedan of all time:

audi-rs4%20%288%29.jpg

audi-rs4%20%286%29.jpg

Yeah, this pics are huge. So what? Relish in the glory of this beauty.

JackEtc

I'm being honest and blunt (as usual, my apologies) and saying that the KW's are not for a Jetta. Putting KW's on a Jetta would be like eating AAA steak with a side order of roadkill. Sorry.

Koni Yellows are the way to go.
No need to apologize at all, man. I totally understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate the honesty, I don't want to rice out the car or turn it into a tuner, I don't want to spend a shit ton of money. I was thinking the same thing, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some technical reason you were saying not to put KW's on it.

Okay, so I went on ST's online store, and went through the vehicle select thing, and it did come up with a link to the ST coilover kit. So there is that option, I guess. But, MSRP is $917, which isn't much cheaper than the Koni Coilovers.

Apparantly MJM Autohaus is a good place to go for VW parts, and here's what I found:

Koni Sport Shocks (AKA Koni Yellows) - $634.95

I can either buy those and use the (presumably bad quality) Raceland springs, and that would be all I'd have to pay, besides installation. Or I could buy some more springs. I've done some looking around and it seems that most people recommend H&R Sport Springs which are for sale for $219.95. That would be a total of $854.90 (before installation).

SO, if I'm getting a completely new system, not using any parts I already have, that seems to be the cheapest route by $100 or more, but if the ride quality or feel would be a lot better with the ST or Koni coilovers, it may be worth to pay the extra 100. On the other hand, if just sticking with the springs I have would work too, that's really cheap. What would I be gaining/losing by going each route; Yellows, Yellows + Springs, ST Coilovers, or Koni Coilovers?

I really appreciate your and everyone else's help and patience with me, I know I'm pretty clueless.

Halvie

Banned
No need to apologize at all, man. I totally understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate the honesty, I don't want to rice out the car or turn it into a tuner, I don't want to spend a shit ton of money. I was thinking the same thing, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some technical reason you were saying not to put KW's on it.

Okay, so I went on ST's online store, and went through the vehicle select thing, and it did come up with a link to the ST coilover kit. So there is that option, I guess. But, MSRP is $917, which isn't much cheaper than the Koni Coilovers.

Apparantly MJM Autohaus is a good place to go for VW parts, and here's what I found:

I can either buy those and use the (presumably bad quality) Raceland springs, and that would be all I'd have to pay, besides installation. Or I could buy some more springs. I've done some looking around and it seems that most people recommend H&R Sport Springs which are for sale for $219.95. That would be a total of $854.90 (before installation).

SO, if I'm getting a completely new system, not using any parts I already have, that seems to be the cheapest route by $100 or more, but if the ride quality or feel would be a lot better with the ST or Koni coilovers, it may be worth to pay the extra 100. On the other hand, if just sticking with the springs I have would work too, that's really cheap. What would I be gaining/losing by going each route; Yellows, Yellows + Springs, ST Coilovers, or Koni Coilovers?

I really appreciate your and everyone else's help and patience with me, I know I'm pretty clueless.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/Suspension/ES261065/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/Suspension/Suspension_Kits/ES5770/
http://www.redline-motorworks.com/Suspension_s/881.htm

ECS
DCBPerformance

Are usually best for price. Why not got to a vw forum to find out more stuff instead of relying on someone calling your car a pile?

golfmkv.com
vwvortex.com

reilo

Best looking Audi sedan of all time:

audi-rs4%20%288%29.jpg

audi-rs4%20%286%29.jpg

Yeah, this pics are huge. So what? Relish in the glory of this beauty.
I like the aggressiveness of the front of the B8 just a tad bit more. It feels a little bit less rounded, which makes it a bit more masculine.

Honestly, I'd go with Koni Yellows and buy someone's stock springs for like $20 if you don't want to drop the car a lot and just want a really nice, comfortable ride.

Yeah, don't rely on me because I'm saying a Jetta isn't worth dropping bank on suspension... you're right, it'd be better to rely on a bunch of GTI dudes who dump money into their turbo Golf than someone who A. knows suspension and B. is advising him to spend as little as possible, while still buying high quality stuff instead of dropping almost $1k for fucking JETTA coilovers. I guess the only way to tell if you can listen to someone's advice is basing that on whether or not they think pouring excessive money into performance suspension to put onto an econobox.

Smh, really?

I like the aggressiveness of the front of the B8 just a tad bit more. It feels a little bit less rounded, which makes it a bit more masculine.

+1

LOVE that color of blue, though. I saw that same shade on an S5 down here the other day and almost died it was so beautiful.

reilo

+1

LOVE that color of blue, though. I saw that same shade on an S5 down here the other day and almost died it was so beautiful.
I saw a B8 S4 in that blue a few weeks ago, and just stopped and said "wow" in the middle of a conversation with someone.

Halvie

Banned
Yeah, don't rely on me because I'm saying a Jetta isn't worth dropping bank on suspension... you're right, it'd be better to rely on a bunch of GTI dudes who dump money into their turbo Golf than someone who A. knows suspension and B. is advising him to spend as little as possible, while still buying high quality stuff instead of dropping almost $1k for fucking JETTA coilovers. I guess the only way to tell if you can listen to someone's advice is basing that on whether or not they think pouring excessive money into performance suspension to put onto an econobox.

Smh, really?

Why not just tell him to get fucking divers gear springs and call it a day then?

Cause everyone who drives a golf doesn't know anything about suspension because you don't like them?

God this forums sucks

Just another ho hum glowing review of the BRZ. This one is from Autoblog!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/2013-subaru-brz-first-drive-review/

of note re: all the demands of "It needs a turbo..."

The engine is an all-new design called the FA, with a perfectly square stroke of 86x86 and a variable-valve control system that Subaru calls AVCS, for active valve control system. The FA was developed for and only used in this car, "at least for the time being." On the required premium gas, Subaru's numbers are 200 horsepower and 150 pound-feet, with reps at a loss to explain why Toyota rates the same engine – that Subaru builds – at 197 horsepower. The FA is smaller than the Impreza's FB engine, achieved with items such as a shorter and lower intake manifold, a shallower bottom on the transmission, and revised, more compact lubrication system. Subaru then placed components in different places to get the engine further back in its bay, like making the intake manifold front-facing and placing the crankshaft 60 mm lower. The induction system was shorted to reduce overhangs, and the radiator was tilted 17 degrees to improve the center of gravity. Compared to the Impreza, the BRZ's engine is placed 120 mm lower and 240 mm further back.

There's no turbo, and no plans to include one.

And that's why there's no turbo, and no plans to include one – the engine occupies the space where Subaru would normally bolt one on. They moved so many things around, we don't know why they couldn't have been just as creative with some forced induction, but the company's traditional placement of the intercooler atop the engine simply wouldn't have worked. Subaru plans a longer life-cycle for the car, six to seven years instead of four to five, and it was strongly hinted that we would see a power bump during a mid-cycle refresh – but not a turbocharged bump. We were told as well, though, that this engine will be the base of Subaru's next-generation turbocharged engine.

the car being completely designed around handling means there is no room under the hood for the turbo plumbing/intercooler. they placed the engine so far back and low that the firewall sits where the turbo is in my Legacy 2.5gt

AlphaSnake

That just means a supercharger is much more likely to happen, with the motor sitting that low in the bay.

ascii42

What Subaru is trying to say is that they've moved the engine to where it is so they can fit in another engine to drive the front wheels.

Believe.

reilo

I drove by a new Audi A6 last night (white) on the highway. Hnnnnnnnngggg.

I always liked this thread but never really posted in here.

So guys, does anyone here do any type of motorsport activities with their cars? I've been getting into drifting more and more. I've been doing events for a while now but I had to stop since we bought a new build house. I'm planning to come back strong once Silvia's are legal for use in Canada (2 more years).

I've been stocking up parts while I wait though. I don't want to update my spread sheet because I'm scared of the total (I'm over $10K for sure)....

Calm down there guy, just looks like it could be cleaned up a bit.
I was being facetious; but it's an engine with modern controls in a small engine bay--seriously what do you expect.

So guys, does anyone here do any type of motorsport activities with their cars? I've been getting into drifting more and more. I've been doing events for a while now but I had to stop since we bought a new build house. I'm planning to come back strong once Silvia's are legal for use in Canada (2 more years).

Come the spring I'm going to do the performance driving school at mid-ohio, build up a spec miata or 944 (okay probably miata, 944 would be pretty costly), then go back for a competition license and get into NASA racing. I'm torn between going NASA or SCCA, but having mid-ohio an hour and a half away is making me lean towards NASA (the closest SCCA licensing school is much farther away).

Unfortunately they do all their teaching at mid-ohio with Acura TLs. Uhh... okay, I guess?

TylerD

I think the BRZ/FR-S is perfect for what I want in a car right now. Should be able to trade in my 2003 Accord EX v6 sedan and put about 3-4K down and be right around or lower than what my payments on the Accord were and have a really fun daily driver with a warranty, better gas mileage, and decent utility with the rear seats folded. Most importantly, I will be back in a sports car!

The stock power should be plenty for now and in time if I ever feel it is lacking there will be options to scratch that itch. I have had tons of fun in considerably slower cars and being able to fully enjoy the power that is on hand every day is a huge plus IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom