• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Christ, did you invest into this car or something? I apologize for not seeing your link, oh purveyor of all things GT86. Either you stealth edited your post with the URL or my Dell's washed out screen didn't make it the least bit apparent there was a link, like my iMac does. I'm on my hands and knees apologizing.

But let me stop beating around the fucking bush with you, this back and forth is getting annoying. I'm going to go off on a tangent here, something wildly outside of the whole supercharger issue. Your little bitchy lash out up there is you trying to defend the GT86, it is and I get it. You're anticipating it. And you can defend the absolute piss out of this car, good for you. But you know what? I have seen shit like this in the media time and time again. An underpowered car is released and the critics praise it for its simplicity and handling prowess (RX8, S2000, Porsche Cayman/Boxster 2.7L). Fast forward a few short years later, those same publications shitted on those cars for being long in the tooth, underpowered, and underwhelming - and cried tears of joy when they saw replacements or even the most modest of updates (the RX8 went through tons of revisions during its time). Do you know why there isn't much demand for NA Supras, Mitsubishi 3000GTs, and 300ZXs? Because they were fucking slow and no one gives a shit about them today, just like no one will give a shit about the GT86 or BRZ in its NA form years from now. People buy NA versions of the above cars because they can't find the proper turbo models and hope to one day have enough money to convert them from NA to FI.

BTW: No offense intended to owners of the above cars.

When the new Camaro came out, magazines went bananas about it. That it performed great, that both the V6 and V8 motors are fantastic, that it handled superbly, and some even had the gall to call its interior high quality and appealing? The fuck? Again, today those same publications lambaste the Camaro, in some cases placing it dead last against its rivals, claiming its driving dynamics are poor and the interior atrocious. My, how a tune can change when you *don't* have PR people breathing down your back.

The 350Z was heralded by damn near everyone when it came out, and up until 2006 people loved its motor. But the minute it received an overhaul in 2007 with an all new motor, those same publications were very quick to shit on the original car's motor despite loving it and singing its praises just a short time ago, up until 2005 when the VQ35DE received a minor workover itself.

And there's a damn fine reason for that, and having been a journalist for 10 years, being invited to all of these early events, being flown out, all expenses paid, the perks, the fun, and all of that bullshit...it all comes at a price. Being positive. Being positive about the reason why a company just spent thousands of dollars on your ass and your big mouth. Because they fucking bought you. They didn't want to buy ad space in your publication which would've cost 5-10 times more, no they wanted to buy you. You have clout and cred with your readers - meanwhile ads do not.

And when I went to a press event, a gaming one actually, and spoke the truth about every product Eidos had to offer...they cut me. Meanwhile other pubs were hailing shit like 25 to Life as the next great thing. That was nearly 7 years ago. I never went to another paid function like this (not for work at least, just tag alongs), and kept it to only the local stuff in NYC. I declined all invites to San Francisco, Tokyo, Playboy mansion, Los Angeles, Vegas, Miami, and even some haunted house in bumblefuck for a Fatal Frame press event. I denied it all.

Why? Because mass media gatherings for product launches like this generate mostly positive buzz. And if you don't say nice things? You get the PR snip - you're off the lists, no more invites, limited access to review fleets, and limited access to company executives...you're no longer given two shits about. The publications need to court the sack of the manufacturer, because without them they can't exist - it's the simple nature of the beast.

So when I see all of this talk about the GT86/BRZ - to me it is all hyperbole until I drive the thing myself. I have the experience, knowledge and foresight to simply know what to expect out of a product like this: a slow car, with an underwhelming interior, decent handling, for way more money than it's worth. I have seen the videos, the way it accelerates, the way it moves, handles, and how it looks - there's already enough out there to tell me this thing is not even worth it without a significant boost in power. But I will drive one as soon as I get the chance to...because I actually love being surprised by cars I had no faith in. Thus far, it's only happened once and that was a new Dodge Challenger SRT8 392.

Soo...uhhh....yeah. Shut up.

I hate to say it, but: OWNED! Dave, you got owned. Hard. Alpha didn't bullshit around with that one.

And you know what, 25 To Life was SHIT INDEED.

Zyzyxxz

Mazda 3 fans, I just drove a new model with "SkyActiv" and can report that aside from getting 42mpg and having a slightly nicer interior, it is exactly the same as the old car (which is a compliment, of course) so now it is the most no-brainer entry-level car reccomendation on gaf.

New answer:

Q: I need a small car for less than $20k that is nice.
A: Mazda 3.

The old answer was:

A: A Mazda 3 because it is quite fast and has a lovely interior but isn't great on fuel.

This is the reason I would buy a Mazda 3 now because I loved the original but hated the fuel economy.

Too bad Skyactiv is only a short term solution to Mazda's answer to improving fuel efficiency.

Viperbah

Post up past cars you have owned and miss

stealth.jpg

My 1991 stealth, this was taken the day I bought the firehawk (which I also miss)

It was not an R/T(twin turbo) but it was still pretty quick for it's day. I owned it all through college(undergrad) and never had any issues. Got in some decent races with it too. I should have never sold it, I let it go for 3k :(

Aguirre

My old hilux, scrapped because some idiot drove through the side of it with a fork lift!!!!
KoWQj.jpg

(note: it sat for 7 months after the tragedy, which is why it looks so bad and why some parts are missing/stolen)

that forced my hand to purchase this newer one:
OfTqz.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My old hilux, scrapped because some idiot drove through the side of it with a fork lift!!!!
KoWQj.jpg

that forced my hand to purchase this newer one:
http://i.imgur.com/OfTqz.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

What was the point of getting another Hulux?

I hate to say it, but: OWNED! Dave, you got owned. Hard. Alpha didn't bullshit around with that one.

And you know what, 25 To Life was SHIT INDEED.

I'm not sure how a bitter journalist who perceives any pre-release hype as a negative throwing a temper-tantrum is really owning me, but okay.

It's not exactly news that there won't be negative reviews in pre-release information, I think we've all read Chris Harris' Ferrari rant, but there's been a huge amount of negative hyperbole about the car that is, I think, completely uncalled for. Remember, people were saying the FR-S would be overpriced at anything over $20k, or only $700 more than the Scion tC and $2,000 cheaper than a Miata.

The vitriol that has been expressed towards the FR-S/BRZ has been astonishing. I admit I may have sidled towards being too positive about the car, but I think that has been mostly because I've been one of the people countering the negativity; if you constantly counter people who go off the deep-end ragging on something you're going to seem far too positive.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That's former bitter journalist to you, Mister!

I don't write anymore. I learned a long time ago to never make your passion your job. Eventually, you will begin to hate it. When I stopped writing about games, I began to appreciate them a little bit more again. I'm not much of a gamer today, but I can't pass up the AAA stuff like Uncharted, Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and even lighthearted nostalgia like 3D Dot Heroes and Sonic Generations.

I was going to really dive into the automotive world of journalism, but stopped myself from fear of hating cars. So I decided to keep cars my one true passion and hobby by talking about them with other people on forums and by hosting weekly car meets in my area. Though, I will admit I do have the urge to write about them still and I have open doors to do so...just not sure how to balance that beam.

Regardless, my job now is pretty decent...I co-own and operate a huge mobile ad network...I hate the work sometimes (mostly due to its stress), but it's better than being someone's pillow bitch. We'll see what the future holds for me. Maybe one of these days I'll replace someone on Top Gear. :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not sure how a bitter journalist who perceives any pre-release hype as a negative throwing a temper-tantrum is really owning me, but okay.

It's not exactly news that there won't be negative reviews in pre-release information, I think we've all read Chris Harris' Ferrari rant, but there's been a huge amount of negative hyperbole about the car that is, I think, completely uncalled for. Remember, people were saying the FR-S would be overpriced at anything over $20k, or only $700 more than the Scion tC and $2,000 cheaper than a Miata.

The vitriol that has been expressed towards the FR-S/BRZ has been astonishing. I admit I may have sidled towards being too positive about the car, but I think that has been mostly because I've been one of the people countering the negativity; if you constantly counter people who go off the deep-end ragging on something you're going to seem far too positive.
Your super smug reply to that longform reply didn't help allay the impression that you got owned

speedline

Banned

stealth.jpg

My 1991 stealth, this was taken the day I bought the firehawk (which I also miss)

It was not an R/T(twin turbo) but it was still pretty quick for it's day. I owned it all through college(undergrad) and never had any issues. Got in some decent races with it too. I should have never sold it, I let it go for 3k :(

I could never part with my WS6, well.......... except for a Corvette maybe. Nice Firehawk man, why did you get rid of it?

IMG_2126.jpg

Viperbah

I could never part with my WS6, well.......... except for a Corvette maybe. Nice Firehawk man, why did you get rid of it?

IMG_2126.jpg

Nice WS6! arctic white is an awesome color.

Thanks, I bought a c6 z06.....I could have held on the the firehawk, but ended up getting a great offer for it so I let go.

I would like to own another ls1 one day, im thinking about picking up a ls1 GTO for a daily if I can find one at a decent price.

aznpxdd

Was gonna pick up a Q5 originally, but decided to go with a BMW X1 instead. Put the down payment the other day and will be receiving the car in Feb! Alpine White/Black interior with the new 2.0T, should be fun!

I looked at the specs, and apparently its actually shorter than an E90? Kinda hard to believe.

AlphaSnake

Was gonna pick up a Q5 originally, but decided to go with a BMW X1 instead. Put the down payment the other day and will be receiving the car in Feb! Alpine White/Black interior with the new 2.0T, should be fun!

I looked at the specs, and apparently its actually shorter than an E90? Kinda hard to believe.

You're getting rid of the A4?

aznpxdd

You're getting rid of the A4?

A4 is in US. X1 for China :)

Once I get enough money saved up (should be soon), I'm gonna get rid of the A4 for an used M5/IS-F or C63 for US. Any other suggestions for around 50k?

My friend is already sending these babies in 20x9" from his factory in Taiwan to me for the X1. $500 for 4 20" wheels FTW!

5979790528_fd9bdec8e1_z.jpg

A4 is in US. X1 for China :)

Once I get enough money saved up (should be soon), I'm gonna get rid of the A4 for an used M5/IS-F or C63 for US. Any other suggestions for around 50k?

I have a friend who owns a IS-F and I love that car. It can function as a grocery getter, take your kids to school, then track it on the weekend!

Seriously though, It doesn't take much to make it quick...

Oh and now there's a few Japanese companies who are making 6 speed boxes for the IS models. There's been a few features in recent Japanese car magazines I've read.

stealth.jpg

I don't have a pic i took, but my 2003 Subie Baja. Everyone hated this fucker. everyone. but goddamn it was so ugly but so useful i loved it. towing my painting trailer after college and ripping up streets during snowstorms. Only wish it had the Turbo. Traded it in under pressure from my wife for a Mazda6s 5-door, and eventually went back to a Subaru Legacy 2.5gt

but miss that truck/car thing.

2003_subaru_baja_4_dr_sport_awd_crew_cab_sb-pic-41576.jpeg

I don't have a pic i took, but my 2003 Subie Baja. Everyone hated this fucker. everyone. but goddamn it was so ugly but so useful i loved it. towing my painting trailer after college and ripping up streets during snowstorms. Only wish it had the Turbo. Traded it in under pressure from my wife for a Mazda6s 5-door, and eventually went back to a Subaru Legacy 2.5gt

but miss that truck/car thing.

2003_subaru_baja_4_dr_sport_awd_crew_cab_sb-pic-41576.jpeg

The Baja is what the Aztek would have been if, deep down under that ugly shell, it ended up being a good car in spite of itself. It's one of those cars I don't think I'd ever own but would miss if they all disappeared.

Seriously, anyone who doesn't cheer up when they see a Baja isn't really a gearhead.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Baja is what the Aztek would have been if, deep down under that ugly shell, it ended up being a good car in spite of itself. It's one of those cars I don't think I'd ever own but would miss if they all disappeared.

Seriously, anyone who doesn't cheer up when they see a Baja isn't really a gearhead.

best surfer/tropics car ever made.

Let's talk rims guys. I'd like to get a set of pretty good ones for my car this spring. I'm thinking something darker, not black but maybe charcoal with a bit of alloy on them but predominately darker. How about some brands and styles that you can recommend. My car is a Tasmanian Metallic Green which at times with different light can look sort of grey.

Here's a pic I posted in this topic a few weeks back to help give you an idea:

wotvE.jpg

Thanks for any recommendations along with price points where you can.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Let's talk rims guys. I'd like to get a set of pretty good ones for my car this spring. I'm thinking something darker, not black but maybe charcoal with a bit of alloy on them but predominately darker. How about some brands and styles that you can recommend. My car is a Tasmanian Metallic Green which at times with different light can look sort of grey.

wotvE.jpg

Anthracite Alpina style spokes would look boss.

grendelrt

wotvE.jpg

These are what I bought for my e92 M3 in anthracite (pic below is not mine). They are very light and not super expensive. I bought 18x9.5 and 18x.10.5s for about 1300 shipped.

IMG_1222.jpg

Redline20sm.jpg

Anthracite
bbrclose2.jpg

brr135iclose.jpg

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401416

AlphaSnake

Hey guys...normally I don't like talking about the future, since I feel like it never ends up going well. But at the same time, I hate being superstitious so...I figured I'd just spill it. Next Monday, God willing, I'll be trading in my current A6 4.2 for this:

2012-Audi-A6-Front-Rear-View-Picture.jpg

2012-Audi-A6-interior.jpg

2012 A6. :O

And I say this with all honesty, but this is simply the most incredible car in its segment by a country mile, from looks, to interior, to performance, to ride quality and handling. Now, I went out and dealt with BMW, Audi, and Infiniti dealers. After driving the new Merc E350, I was absolutely appalled at just how bad the car is, which is why I didn't bother cross shopping it. Anyway, I was going to go for a 535i xDrive under the assumption that despite being an inferior car in many, many aspects its residual is a great deal better than the new Audi, so it should've leased much better. But it didn't. Its lease was coming to be more expensive than the A6. I test drove an M37...hated it. Rough riding and it looks ghastly in its plain form (the car should only offered with the 20s...but they make the car even rougher). Plus the VQ37, while a great motor for a 3200lb sports car, isn't suitable for a 4000lb luxury car. Its lease was easily the cheapest, but you get what you paid for. Moving on.

The A6, which I actually test drove first, has hands down the best interior of the bunch. Nothing comes close. Then there's its ride quality - absolutely supple. The salesman took me on a real shoddy road, and I clenched my hands around the wheel preparing for a bumpy road...only to be left confused. The car soaked it all in. How!? My buddy's dad has a 2010 Lexus LS460L which rides rougher than the A6...and the A6 I drove had the 19" sport wheels and tires. It was one of the most perplexing driving experiences of my life. And what made it even more so was that the car handles like it's a sports car, and yet makes no sacrifices in its ride quality. Completely unrivaled craftsmanship on Audi's part - there is simply no equal.

And then there was that glorious supercharged motor. Unlike the BMW's jumpy and very peaky 3.0L I6 turbo motor, the supercharged 3.0L V6 in the Audi delivers power with a powerful yet extremely smooth burst of energy, it's rather intoxicating. Full torque comes in very early, and once you either click the shift lever into sport mode or slide it over to use the paddles, you will see just how this thing pushes you into the back of your seat at a meager 2500RPM in 3rd or 4th gear. It's something that truly needs to be experienced to be understood.

So needless to say I've been spending a ton of time talking with dealers (seriously, you should see my call log) and I wholeheartedly believe the A6 is far and away the best car money can buy in its class. Like I said, I would've taken the BMW, but it was coming to more than the Audi. I had the pleasure of having a RWD 535i in my possession for a few days earlier in the year (loaner car) and I found many faults with it. Faults that weren't crippling per se, but they were there. There was too much body roll for a Bimmer, the electric steering was absolutely terrible, the ride quality, while nice, suffered needlessly thanks to the run-flats, and motor's power delivery bothered me. Plus the transmission often found itself confused, and it pissed me off. There were other things, but those were the worst...they basically dumbed the 5-series down as much as possible. For a segment leader, that's a shame.

AlphaSnake

Nice choice! But WTF man why no ass shots? I think it has one of the most beautiful rears of any luxury sedan.
2012-audi-a6-rear-angle-view.jpg

DAT ASS! I love that little bit of A7 styling.

Indeed, indeed.

I just didn't want to overload people's monitors with images. :p

I am extremely excited about the car, though. I am praying everything goes through as expected. I'll post up pictures if I get the car.

Hey guys...normally I don't like talking about the future, since I feel like it never ends up going well. But at the same time, I hate being superstitious so...I figured I'd just spill it. Next Monday, God willing, I'll be trading in my current A6 4.2 for this:

2012-Audi-A6-Front-Rear-View-Picture.jpg

2012-Audi-A6-interior.jpg

2012 A6. :O

And I say this with all honesty, but this is simply the most incredible car in its segment by a country mile, from looks, to interior, to performance, to ride quality and handling. Now, I went out and dealt with BMW, Audi, and Infiniti dealers. After driving the new Merc E350, I was absolutely appalled at just how bad the car is, which is why I didn't bother cross shopping it. Anyway, I was going to go for a 535i xDrive under the assumption that despite being an inferior car in many, many aspects its residual is a great deal better than the new Audi, so it should've leased much better. But it didn't. Its lease was coming to be more expensive than the A6. I test drove an M37...hated it. Rough riding and it looks ghastly in its plain form (the car should only offered with the 20s...but they make the car even rougher). Plus the VQ37, while a great motor for a 3200lb sports car, isn't suitable for a 4000lb luxury car. Its lease was easily the cheapest, but you get what you paid for. Moving on.

The A6, which I actually test drove first, has hands down the best interior of the bunch. Nothing comes close. Then there's its ride quality - absolutely supple. The salesman took me on a real shoddy road, and I clenched my hands around the wheel preparing for a bumpy road...only to be left confused. The car soaked it all in. How!? My buddy's dad has a 2010 Lexus LS460L which rides rougher than the A6...and the A6 I drove had the 19" sport wheels and tires. It was one of the most perplexing driving experiences of my life. And what made it even more so was that the car handles like it's a sports car, and yet makes no sacrifices in its ride quality. Completely unrivaled craftsmanship on Audi's part - there is simply no equal.

And then there was that glorious supercharged motor. Unlike the BMW's jumpy and very peaky 3.0L I6 turbo motor, the supercharged 3.0L V6 in the Audi delivers power with a powerful yet extremely smooth burst of energy, it's rather intoxicating. Full torque comes in very early, and once you either click the shift lever into sport mode or slide it over to use the paddles, you will see just how this thing pushes you into the back of your seat at a meager 2500RPM in 3rd or 4th gear. It's something that truly needs to be experienced to be understood.

So needless to say I've been spending a ton of time talking with dealers (seriously, you should see my call log) and I wholeheartedly believe the A6 is far and away the best car money can buy in its class. Like I said, I would've taken the BMW, but it was coming to more than the Audi. I had the pleasure of having a RWD 535i in my possession for a few days earlier in the year (loaner car) and I found many faults with it. Faults that weren't crippling per se, but they were there. There was too much body roll for a Bimmer, the electric steering was absolutely terrible, the ride quality, while nice, suffered needlessly thanks to the run-flats, and motor's power delivery bothered me. Plus the transmission often found itself confused, and it pissed me off. There were other things, but those were the worst...they basically dumbed the 5-series down as much as possible. For a segment leader, that's a shame.

Very nice, Snake-man.

vanty

Do all Audis ride well now? Didn't they have a reputation of always having an oddly firm ride, and that being the main reason they would lose in comparisons with BMW and sometimes even Mercedes? I actually remember reviews saying the RS4 is somehow the most comfortable car they had made when it came out ahah.

Very jealous anyway, seems like an awesome car. Not sure why the A7 would sell when the A6 looks so good. Guess it's fat profits for Audi either way.

h1nch

Do all Audis ride well now? Didn't they have a reputation of always having an oddly firm ride, and that being the main reason they would lose in comparisons with BMW and sometimes even Mercedes? I actually remember reviews saying the RS4 is somehow the most comfortable car they had made when it came out ahah.

Very jealous anyway, seems like an awesome car. Not sure why the A7 would sell when the A6 looks so good. Guess it's fat profits for Audi either way.

What? If anything BMW always has the rougher sportier ride of all the big 3 German auto makers. Or maybe that comparison only applies to the 3 series/A4/C class tier?

AlphaSnake

That Audi interior in the A6 looks damn sexy. What are the power numbers for the car and weight?

310HP, 325TQ - 3950-4000lbs. Though, I firmly believe that to be an underrated figure, just like the S4.

Yes, they all do now. My current A6 is a bit firm, and so was my girlfriend's old 2006 A4. But the new cars are absurdly smooth.

Halvie

Banned
Oblig. TE37 suggestion?

Minus the red and perhaps a slight variation, I like the TE37 design to have fatter 'spokes'.

TE37 look extremely nice on BMWs(well non-time attack versions). Think that fitment was just discontinued though.

They also look pretty nice on most Advans:

sgme9292101.jpg

get te37sl if you can find them. Cheaper and lighter than the normal version.

Haven't seem them on a BMW yet, but trying to sell my wheels to pick up a set of these: Like them a lot.

S1R_AHG_GBRZ_2_02.jpg

TE37 look extremely nice on BMWs(well non-time attack versions). Think that fitment was just discontinued though.

They also look pretty nice on most Advans:

get te37sl if you can find them. Cheaper and lighter than the normal version.

Haven't seem them on a BMW yet, but trying to sell my wheels to pick up a set of these: Like them a lot.

Volk still takes custom rim offsets and sizes. So he should still be good to go with them. How do I know? Because I'm dealing with a distributor to see if I can get a special colour/size...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom