• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Cusco rollcage arrived! Now I have to gut the interior.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
do most of yall buy or lease?

Depending on the car. If it's a sports car, I finance it. If it's a luxury car, I lease it. I typically don't hold on to cars for more than 3-4 years simply due to the environment I live in. New York City roads and weather conditions are absolutely terrible, and our cars take a beating here.

h1nch

If I were smarter I'd lease, but I end up buying/financing. I had my Celica for 5 years, and my 328i for 2.5 years. I'm hoping I keep the 335i for much longer.

I just like the idea of owning vs leasing even if it ends up costing me money when I inevitably get the urge to drive something new.

nitewulf

what are my options if i want to switch out the runflats on my E92 328i? the ride is way too stiff, and its a lowered car...so i have to drive way to carefully on the road, which are filled with bumps.

will the ride actually get better? i feel like my car frame is taking a hell of a beating everytime i'm on the road, will it be easier on the car?

the E92s do not have a spot for a spare, is a spare actually necessary? if i get a flat, i'm not sure i can actually change out the tire, as i've never done it before (i could always learn to, if needed).

or are there smoother run flats i should be looking into?

AlphaSnake

what are my options if i want to switch out the runflats on my E92 328i? the ride is way too stiff, and its a lowered car...so i have to drive way to carefully on the road, which are filled with bumps.

will the ride actually get better? i feel like my car frame is taking a hell of a beating everytime i'm on the road, will it be easier on the car?

the E92s do not have a spot for a spare, is a spare actually necessary? if i get a flat, i'm not sure i can actually change out the tire, as i've never done it before (i could always learn to, if needed).

or are there smoother run flats i should be looking into?

Get rid of runflats, they are terrible. Get Continental DWS or Falken ZX912s - both are great all season tires, though the Contis are definitely better all around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Get rid of runflats, they are terrible. Get Continental DWS or Falken ZX912s - both are great all season tires, though the Contis are definitely better all around.

Not having a spare fucking sucks when you pull a flat, though.

You must be new. The reason the only cars people talk about in the Auto thread are Audis and BMWs is because it's a 1% thread and that's what they drive.

ascii42

You must be new. The reason the only cars people talk about in the Auto thread are Audis and BMWs is because it's a 1% thread and that's what they drive.
Yeah, I feel a bit out of place with my Chevy, Olds, and Buick.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Damn you Alpha.

I'm jelly. Then again, if I really wanted to, I'd just go trade in my Speed6 for a S4, but I'm holding out on Jaguar releasing details on the CX-16/XE.

Volk still takes custom rim offsets and sizes. So he should still be good to go with them. How do I know? Because I'm dealing with a distributor to see if I can get a special colour/size...

Can you guys elaborate on the offsets/sizes and what it means exactly? I've heard of 9.5s in the front and 10.5s in the back but have no clue what it really means.

My 335d came with 17" run flats but I'm looking to put 18" tires/rims on it. Will I have to change anything in order for this to work?

Also, how much would the 18" TE37 rims cost me? The BBS LM-Rs?

Thanks.

AlphaSnake

Can you guys elaborate on the offsets/sizes and what it means exactly? I've heard of 9.5s in the front and 10.5s in the back but have no clue what it really means.

My 335d came with 17" run flats but I'm looking to put 18" tires/rims on it. Will I have to change anything in order for this to work?

Thanks.

9.5 front and 10.5 rear is how wide each rim is. The width of a rim is your guide to the width of the tire you should be running it with.

Offset is the offset of your wheel's center hub away from the axle of the car. It's easier to display in pics. Notice how sunk in the front wheel is in the 1st pic, compared to the second:

11frontrightanglebefore.jpg

12frontrightangleafter.jpg

Do you see how the wheel is now more flush with the fender line? Before it was tucked in, that's negative offset. When you add positive offset, such as spacers or a wheel with a LOWER negative offset, this will bring the wheel outward closer to the fender line.

grendelrt

Thanks.

If you were to break down 18x10.5 offset of 20, 18 is the size, 10.5 is the width, offset is distance from hub to center of wheel. Offset is most important to make sure the wheel and spokes clear the brake calibers and fits in the fender well (wheel width also affects this). Your best bet is to find the wheel you like then ask the manufacturer for the offset and size that fits. Tire size will also be important depending on what size and offset you go with, hop on one of the BMW post forums and they could prob tell you based on your car.

Zyzyxxz

Well I made this thread a while back with the intention of discussion. Honestly I drive a 99 Toyota Corolla but that doesn't stop me from going out to test drive evens and trying out cars. Just two weeks ago I went to drive the 2011 CTS-V on the track. Good times.

Halvie

Banned
Volk still takes custom rim offsets and sizes. So he should still be good to go with them. How do I know? Because I'm dealing with a distributor to see if I can get a special colour/size...

Every volk distributor I talked with (including Mackin) when getting my te37 said they don't do custom bolt patterns. Mackin redrilled them for me when they got to the US.

If you are actually getting a custom bolt pattern and not a redrill post up who you are buying them through. Looking to get new wheels, and hardly anything comes in my pattern.

robox

don't you have the gti? are they still 5x100? pretty damn common. and vw's are a huge market.
you're not allowed to complain about not having things in your pattern until you've owned in 4/5x108. or 4x114.3

Audis and BMWs are some of the most boring cars in this thread, don't scare him off like that.

Halvie

Banned
don't you have the gti? are they still 5x100? pretty damn common. and vw's are a huge market.
you're not allowed to complain about not having things in your pattern until you've owned in 4/5x108. or 4x114.3

5x112. Know you can run wobble bolts for 5x114, but would rather not do that.

aznpxdd

Any middle class family can afford an A4/3-Series/C-Class/IS in the US. That's why there are tons of them on the road...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any middle class family can afford an A4/3-Series/C-Class/IS in the US. That's why there are tons of them on the road...

You have a warped view of what people can afford; middle class families can afford Mercedes-Benz's if they want to be asset poor.

Then again, all rich people like to pretend they're just "upper middle class" so maybe that's where you're going with that. The reality is that, no, the average middle class family cannot afford a Mercedes-Benz at all. It's just that people conclude that because they're technically within the 99%, they're automatically middle class, which isn't actually true.

Did you call me a 1%? lol.
See what I mean? This dude that wants to buy a Jaguar is incredulous that he thinks I called him rich. (which I didn't, I'm just being sarcastic)

aznpxdd

You have a warped view of what people can afford; middle class families can afford Mercedes-Benz's if they want to be asset poor.

Then again, all rich people like to pretend they're just "upper middle class" so maybe that's where you're going with that. The reality is that, no, the average middle class family cannot afford a Mercedes-Benz at all. It's just that people conclude that because they're technically within the 99%, they're automatically middle class, which isn't actually true.

See what I mean? This dude that wants to buy a Jaguar is incredulous that he thinks I called him rich. (which I didn't, I'm just being sarcastic)

*Shrugs* I know plenty of people who drives BMW/Audi with shit pay. Obviously its one of those cases of just because you could doesn't mean you should.

reilo

That was a loaded statement to make and you know it.

But anyway, if you must know, I plan to purchase my next car a year or two from now with the money I make doing freelance work - aka my second job.

When that time rolls around, I will have owned my current car for 4 or 5 years... a car that cost less than a Toyota Camry. So, ugh, /shrug?

Angry Grimace

*Shrugs* I know plenty of people who drives BMW/Audi with shit pay. Obviously its one of those cases of just because you could doesn't mean you should.

Well, yeah, that's kinda what I mean. The fact that someone will give you a loan that big doesn't mean that's what you can afford, but that's a bit off-topic. I just assume that people don't make life decisions that poor.
That was a loaded statement to make and you know it.

But anyway, if you must know, I plan to purchase my next car a year or two from now with the money I make doing freelance work - aka my second job.

When that time rolls around, I will have owned my current car for 4 or 5 years... a car that cost less than a Toyota Camry. So, ugh, /shrug?
I'm not certain I understand what you mean by "loaded statement," but it's a little weird that people get so offended by the suggestion they're well off. It's not like there's something...wrong with buying a Jag if that's your life's dream.

reilo

I'm not certain I understand what you mean by "loaded statement," but it's a little weird that people get so offended by the suggestion they're well off. It's not like there's something...wrong with buying a Jag if that's your life's dream.

I just think you don't understand who the 1% are or how big that gap is.

If you want to say most of us are well off, then sure.

reilo

Looking for a new car in a year or two reilo?

Why not take a look at James List you rich fuck!

Obviously that Jag is gonna be my daily driver. I already have six Ferraris in my garage collecting dust. I'm kind of bored of them. You'll find two of them on JamesList by tomorrow.

aznpxdd

I was *this* close to powder coating my wheels to Mag Blue. Fuck that color looks sexy on white. But its really hard to reproduce that color without the right paint code.

AlexMogil

Bought my Winter tires for my 2011 STI and had them installed yesterday. Tirerack.com does a nice service where they will mount and balance the tire to your wheels, you just have to put them on the car. Went from 245 40 r18 to 235 45 r17 on Blizzak LM 60s. Bought the cheapest wheels Tirerack had for that tire. No steelies.

No one in my town understood I wanted to buy cheap wheels so I didn't want to scratch up my BBSes. They also didn't get that I wanted to go 17 and yes cars can handle shorter wheels. One tire store didn't believe me when I told him the size of my original tire. I had to take him out to the car and physically show him I had 245 40 r18s and even when he looked at them HE STILL LOOKED IN THE DOOR WELL. Yup that's what they are.

Poverty AutoGaf, make way. Finally got some photos of my Clio 182 up!

photo25112011125126edit.jpg

photo25112011125142edit.jpg

photo25112011125322edit.jpg

Yes it's a bit cheap, yes the quality lacks, yes it makes funny noises, but that feeling when you're on the twisties at 5.5k rpm+!!!!

NZer

Just looking online, I see that cars are indeed much much cheaper in the USA than Australia/NZ. Still, if an m3 is 60k, that to me is an expensive enough car that I wouldn't be looking in that price range until I was making 150k+/year. But I suppose a lot of people do make that much, or have very different ideas on how much they want to spend on their cars - and as long as they aren't in over their heads, it's their money to spend how they wish.

Just looking online, I see that cars are indeed much much cheaper in the USA than Australia/NZ. Still, if an m3 is 60k, that to me is an expensive enough car that I wouldn't be looking in that price range until I was making 150k+/year. But I suppose a lot of people do make that much, or have very different ideas on how much they want to spend on their cars - and as long as they aren't in over their heads, it's their money to spend how they wish.

Lol, there's tons of fools who make 60k/year and decide to lease an M3. People don't always think rationally.

vanty

Are there people seriously shitting on a Clio 182? That's probably one the best handling, most fun cars anyone has posted in this entire thread.

THE:MILKMAN

Car Gaf, I am seriously considering getting a new, small but quick-ish car in the new year and would like advice.

The cars in the running are as follows:

Ford Fiesta Zetec-S/Metal
Renault Sport Twingo Cup
Mini Cooper
Suzuki Swift Sport

After a lot of research, the Suzuki is my favourite after considering price, spec, running costs and handling.

If anyone here owns any of the other cars, your thought's are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom