• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone in Toronto looking for two car amps, a sub and a capacitor? I bought them brand new and used them for about two months before buying a new car.

They're just collecting dust and I want to get rid of them ASAP.

nitewulf

Exactly. It'd be a foolish idea at best.

there are kids who make way less than that, and buy luxury cars. it all depends on your situation, many people live with their parents and have a lot of disposable income, plus certain immigrants associate cars with status symbols, so they'd buy/lease fancy stuff even if they have to struggle to pay for it, and make major sacrifices in other facets of their lives etc.

i knew so many students when i was going to school, and right after i got my first professional job that lived in manhattan, paying RIDICULOUS rents (they usually split an apartment in 4/5 ways to be able to afford it), just so they could "live in the city".

that's america.

nitewulf

Get rid of runflats, they are terrible. Get Continental DWS or Falken ZX912s - both are great all season tires, though the Contis are definitely better all around.

should i get all the same size wheels along with the tires, or just order the tires and keep my current wheels. i love my current wheels, but they are different sizes, so the rear tires are a lot more expensive. i wouldn't mind keeping them, i am just thinking whether in the long run it'd be easier to replace tires if all my wheels are the same size.

and should i keep a mobility kit in the trunk or opt for a doughnut and sacrifice the trunk space?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
should i get all the same size wheels along with the tires, or just order the tires and keep my current wheels. i love my current wheels, but they are different sizes, so the rear tires are a lot more expensive. i wouldn't mind keeping them, i am just thinking whether in the long run it'd be easier to replace tires if all my wheels are the same size.

and should i keep a mobility kit in the trunk or opt for a doughnut and sacrifice the trunk space?

Get the same sizes you have now. Go to TireRack.com, find a good tire and compare prices elsewhere as well.

Whether or not you want a donut is up to you. I don't know how often you use your trunk.

Edit: Not to derail...but Epic got banned. Looking at the post history, wow...this dude has some serious issues.

NZer

there are kids who make way less than that, and buy luxury cars. it all depends on your situation, many people live with their parents and have a lot of disposable income, plus certain immigrants associate cars with status symbols, so they'd buy/lease fancy stuff even if they have to struggle to pay for it, and make major sacrifices in other facets of their lives etc.

i knew so many students when i was going to school, and right after i got my first professional job that lived in manhattan, paying RIDICULOUS rents (they usually split an apartment in 4/5 ways to be able to afford it), just so they could "live in the city".

that's america.

The idea that people earning 60k a year would buy a 60k car... Mind-boggling.

Get the same sizes you have now. Go to TireRack.com, find a good tire and compare prices elsewhere as well.

Whether or not you want a donut is up to you. I don't know how often you use your trunk.

Edit: Not to derail...but Epic got banned. Looking at the post history, wow...this dude has some serious issues.

Holy fuck. Dude is either trollin hard or he's fucking crazy. Also, did you read his profile details? He has his bio set up to look like a girl's.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Meh, people will make cut backs in their life to get what they want.

My daily driver is a 06 Civic. Just cracked 60K miles.

I bought my fun car recently, and it's a 1986 Corolla.

It was what was reasonable within my budget and per my criteria for a "fun car."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

It was what was reasonable within my budget and per my criteria for a "fun car."

Bro fist. Definitely a fun car.

I dig it. I'd totally smash on an '86 Corolla as a fun car, they're light as fuck and RWD. <3

RBH

Stupid question, but is connecting two sets of jumper cables safe? How exactly would I go about doing this?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yeah the wish list on fun car will drive up the cost.

The interior is OK, but the rear seat is rough. Might just put covers on them right now until I can figure out what to do. Cheaper to just get them reupholstered ins smoethign generic and nice, than get them restored to original.

AlphaSnake

Cross your fingers for me, guys. I'm supposed to sign and pick up the A6 today. Left the deposit on Monday. Hoping that nothing goes wrong with the sale when we're there signing the papers.

I love cars, but I truly despise buying them.

Cross your fingers for me, guys. I'm supposed to sign and pick up the A6 today. Left the deposit on Monday. Hoping that nothing goes wrong with the sale when we're there signing the papers.

I love cars, but I truly despise buying them.

Shit, you should be more worried about the car even working, it's a fucking Audi. :p

kharma45

Does Audi have a reputation for poor reliability over in the US?

We've had an A6 now for four or five years now and it's been solid as a rock.

AlphaSnake

Shit, you should be more worried about the car even working, it's a fucking Audi. :p

Newer Audi's are pretty reliable. My 2005 is 7 years old and is only showing issues now and has been through a hellish life in NYC. Audi has made strides in reliability. Not Japanese quality, but hey...the technology in this car far surpasses anything Japan is bringing. That's the price of admission.

AlphaSnake

Does Audi have a reputation for poor reliability over in the US?

We've had an A6 now for four or five years now and it's been solid as a rock.

Not as bad of a rep as it once had. Somewhere around 2008 people realized they're great cars, and they really did do a great job of improving reliability.

AlphaSnake

That's a pretty fantastic deal. I wonder where in Queens this is...350Zs are extremely reliable cars. I'll put it to you this way, my buddy/co-worker has 106K miles on his 2003. His only issue? A coil that began to misfire at 100K. $200 later, the car is still tip-top. I put 50K abusive miles on my 350Z without a peep from the car.

Bulletproof.

Smokey

Yeah Alpha is definitely a 1%er.

A 370z and an A6? I ain't mad at ya pdiddymoney.gif

p.s. hope you feel better after your incident the other day my man

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That's a pretty fantastic deal. I wonder where in Queens this is...350Zs are extremely reliable cars. I'll put it to you this way, my buddy/co-worker has 106K miles on his 2003. His only issue? A coil that began to misfire at 100K. $200 later, the car is still tip-top. I put 50K abusive miles on my 350Z without a peep from the car.

Bulletproof.

This would be my first car bro... The mileage on that thing is ridiculously low..

I love the look for the 350z man... My other option was an Acura TL 3G. My mom personally loves the 350z, and yeah I hear they are fucking reliable as fuck for the most part... It would be my "weekend car" my father has a 94 Camry to tack miles on.

If the engine clutch and transmission are working 300% great, i don't see what you could possibly be worried about.

Sarcasm? :p <3

He means all are at 100% haha (just mentioning this because some people don't take some CL sales seriously if sellers say stuff like this) lol

Another question guys, if I follow through with this deal should I request the seller to allow payment via a bank loan? I can afford this car cash no problem but would rather do monthly payments... If not it's no problem.. Should I even bother with a bank loan?

AlphaSnake

Yeah Alpha is definitely a 1%er.

A 370z and an A6? I ain't mad at ya pdiddymoney.gif

p.s. hope you feel better after your incident the other day my man

I'm not 1%. But I will hopefully be there soon. :)

The 370Z is my car in full. My name. My insurance. My social #. My loan. The Audi is something I share with my dad and help him with. I pay for half of it + maintenace. He pays the other half + insurance. It's only fair since I use it often enough. My dad is approaching 60, and I don't feel comfortable with him having a car that is degrading in reliability, don't want to get that phone call that he's stuck somewhere in Manhattan in the middle of Lexington leaving his boutique. I was going to lease myself a 2nd car (G37x) and use it as a corporate write-off as well, but thought it was pointless and figured I may as well convince my stubborn old-man to trade in the current Audi and just split that with him again. Mathematically, actually, it made perfect sense when you factor in cost repairs/reliability, cost of maintenance, insurance, and fuel efficiency. :)

I did something similar for my mom a month ago. She wasn't feeling terribly safe in her 09 VW Golf driving along some of the worst roads in NYC (Woodhaven Blvd>Belt Pkwy everyday), so she wanted something better and sturdier. Again, my 55 year old mom, I wanted to make sure she had a pleasurable driving experience every day. Smooth and reliable. I did all of the homework and leased her a 2012 Volvo S60. She makes the payments on it, but I maintain it - even though it's not a car I'll be using much.

Regardless, I'm trying to help my parents out as much as I can and whenever I can. I pay for their cellphones, portions of their cars, I handle their auto insurance, and other things around the house. One reason I do it is because my brother has an M6 and an R8 V10 in his garage...and has never offered to do the same and I feel like at least one son should offer his help somehow. I want my parents to have luxuries, they're not getting any younger - I want them to enjoy the finer things life has to offer.

Sorry, I just went on a personal tangent there...

Also, my other day incident was September 12th, check the date of that thread, but I appreciate the sentiment. :)

Newer Audi's are pretty reliable. My 2005 is 7 years old and is only showing issues now and has been through a hellish life in NYC. Audi has made strides in reliability. Not Japanese quality, but hey...the technology in this car far surpasses anything Japan is bringing. That's the price of admission.

GTR says 'catch up, Europe.'

Anecdotal, btw. Audi/VW have been notorious this decade for horrific electrical issues. There's a good reason VW has been rated so low on reliability, near the bottom.

Guys.

Opinions on this deal?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2771896396.html

Asking if title is clear (I doubt that it isn't) car seems clean as hell.

Jesus, do not buy a 350z, especially not a first year. They are horrible cars compared to the HR's, and... just yuck.

For $10.2k with 6xxxx miles, I'd be worried that the guy fucked something up on it. He could get a solid 12-14k for that car if it's really in great condition.

kharma45

Anecdotal, btw. Audi/VW have been notorious this decade for horrific electrical issues. There's a good reason VW has been rated so low on reliability, near the bottom.

Whereas for us in the UK Audi and VW (Skoda too) are both in the top 10 in the JD Power survey

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2011/the-results/257096

Edit- VW tied with Alfa Romeo!? What madness is this with Alfa being so high in the table...

That's drivetrain technology. Most people associate technology with the toys inside of the car. ;)

All the tech on the GTR is god-tier. And sorry, on the track your butthole-massager just isn't worth having. ;P

Although I have heard that those newer high-end Lexuses have massagers (not for the anus-hole) in the backseats... that's slick.

AlphaSnake

All the tech on the GTR is god-tier. And sorry, on the track your butthole-massager just isn't worth having. ;P

Although I have heard that those newer high-end Lexuses have massagers (not for the anus-hole) in the backseats... that's slick.

Why are you even comparing a GTR to a luxury car? Who cares?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Jesus, do not buy a 350z, especially not a first year. They are horrible cars compared to the HR's, and... just yuck.

For $10.2k with 6xxxx miles, I'd be worried that the guy fucked something up on it. He could get a solid 12-14k for that car if it's really in great condition.

Christ now I feel depressed again lol... :|

I guess a 3G TL is the best option overall and if I can find a deal for about 10K with good mileage I'm set.

Why are you even comparing a GTR to a luxury car? Who cares?

Who cares about luxury amenities, if you want to spin it like that? <--- *turns on nanosuit to Maximum Snake Trolling*

Christ now I feel depressed again lol... :|

Just being honest, but I'm biased. I think 350z's are ugly fucking frog cars with Altima front ends and weak performance until the 07-08 HR's came out. The 370z is everything the 350z should've been, but the 07-08 HR's fixed everything that was wrong with the 350z, except the ugly frog styling.

But again, I'm BIASED and have my own opinion. I also don't trust cars that are too 'cheap', I look at them with an extra careful eye just in case the jackass fucked something up and is trying to offload it quick.

AlphaSnake

eEe9o.jpg

kWazq.jpg

kharma45

Nice, I'll presume it's the 3.0 TFSI not the TDI as I imagine diesel still hasn't taken off over in the US that much.

It'll be rapid whichever one it is!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nice, I'll presume it's the 3.0 TFSI not the TDI as I imagine diesel still hasn't taken off over in the US that much.

It'll be rapid whichever one it is!

TDI is starting to take off, but diesel fuel isn't cheaper in the US as it is in Europe and Americans are shy of diesel in non-commercial vehicles. VW seems to have a near lock on that niche. I would also note that we didn't until this year, even get four cylinder BMWs because it was felt US consumers didn't understand a four cylinder luxury vehicle. Things are changing, but there is a lot of cultural randomness in American car culture.

AlphaSnake

Thank you, thank you! Yes, it is the Supercharged V6. And damn does it haul ass, ever so frugally. Driving home from New Jersey the car averaged 35MPG on the highway. That's ludicrous. The torque at 2500RPM is really noticeable when you step on it, and there's just so much torque that the amount of throttle input and sensitivity has been greatly reduced in standard Drive, because the difference between 1/4 throttle and 1/3 throttle at 2500RPM is nothing short of a pair of wings, that's how hard the torque can come at you with this car.

But put the car into S or switch the gears yourself and you gain a ton of control of this car's marvelous 8-speed and its superb shifts, which are either extremely smooth or sharpened up when in sport mode. No matter their setting, this gearbox is just awesome. What's more is the dynamic drive settings, which surprised me. With the twist of a knob you make the car soft or sporty, or leave it on auto so it adapts to road conditions. What's impressive is that you can create a custom setting that gives you the quicker shifts and firmer steering, but with the suspension on its softer setting - an "Individual" mode allows you to pick and choose between 3 settings, basically.

The interior is absolutely divine, I'd have never expected something of this kind of caliber for a $55K car, it is simply marvelous - not a single cheap plastic anywhere to be found in the entire car. The display on the dashboard is astonishingly gorgeous and hi-resolution, downright Apple-esque in quality, execution, and interface aesthetics. The MMI screen in the center console is all new and now rolls up as it does on the A8, and much of the technology behind the A8's center console actually carries over to the A6. The new trackpad works much like a laptop's would, in the sense that it allows you to use your fingers to scroll through the navigation map (sort of how you would on your phone). But there's more. For example: enter the navigation and pull up the map for your route guidance. You can enter your destination one of two ways: use the trackpad as your piece of paper (it recognizes written inputs from your finger) to enter the address. So start writing your ABCs or 123s with your finger and it'll recognize the input almost 100% of the time. Or, as mentioned before, you can use the trackpad to take hold of the map, scroll to the neighborhood you're going to on the map and tap the pad to bring up a menu that will allow you to confirm tap as your destination. When the car is on, there are numbers that illuminate from the trackpad which replace preset buttons normally found on cars, and they function the same way. Find your radio station, hold your finger down over the number 1 and it'll store your preset - intuitive and simple.

The one drawback I've found thus far is that this A6 no longer has an automatically adjustable steering column - it has a lever unlock for tilt and telescoping, my old A6 had a little joystick on the side of the wheel that adjusted it, which always automatically moved to either my driving position or my dad's (based on the key that opens the door). But that's a minor quip, and him and I generally keep the wheel in the same area. Besides, the way I look at it, some of the automated stuff they took out like the steering wheel adjustments and the button for the glove box (the glove box now just has a standard pull mechanism) is for the better - less shit to go wrong. Older Audis were known for jammed glove boxes where the button wouldn't unlatch them - people hated that feature.

eWeNZ.jpg

sijfV.jpg

Stinkles

Now wavering wildly between practicality of a6 (it is the same goddamned car) and French influenced weirdness of a7. Curse you AlphaSnake. I had never been more sure of a car choice than the a7 but the 2012 a6 almost seems like a bargain.

If I was a billionaire I would buy an s8 and just pump gas into the sewers, laughing maniacally.

kharma45

TDI is starting to take off, but diesel fuel isn't cheaper in the US as it is in Europe and Americans are shy of diesel in non-commercial vehicles. VW seems to have a near lock on that niche. I would also note that we didn't until this year, even get four cylinder BMWs because it was felt US consumers didn't understand a four cylinder luxury vehicle. Things are changing, but there is a lot of cultural randomness in American car culture.

Diesel is actually more expensive over here too, it's about 141p per litre against around 134p per litre for petrol, but if you do the miles diesel is cheaper overall, although with the likes of VW pushing smaller petrols now like the 1.4 TSI's with a turbo and a supercharger, petrol is becoming a bit more relevant in bigger cars again.

Glad to hear though that BMW are starting to bring 4 cylinder cars over to the US, I'd argue that that for the 5-Series that their 520d is the best car in the range (same for the 2.0TDI A6 too, and E220 CDI) as it's got all the power you'll ever need in the real world and they're very economical, around 60MPG on average if memory serves me right.

Besides, the way I look at it, some of the automated stuff they took out like the steering wheel adjustments and the button for the glove box (the glove box now just has a standard pull mechanism) is for the better - less shit to go wrong. Older Audis were known for jammed glove boxes where the button wouldn't unlatch them - people hated that feature.

Too true. Whilst it doesn't happen all that often in truth when it does it's annoying as buck, it does make you question why they bothered doing it when no one has ever complained about having to pull a small lever to open one. Felt like a change for changes sake.

ChiTownBuffalo

Nice, nice ride Alpha.

For those of you who are into Japanese Sport Compacts (I miss you SCC Magazine!):

How do you feel about lazy eye flip up headlights?

I've been going back and forth about them for a while. Part of me just want to go OE setup with superwhite bulbs. Part of me want to do the lazy eye. And for odd reason, there is a ricer part of me whtat wants to throw in ring lights. I try not to listen to that part.

Stinkles

Nice, nice ride Alpha.

For those of you who are into Japanese Sport Compacts (I miss you SCC Magazine!):

How do you feel about lazy eye flip up headlights?

I've been going back and forth about them for a while. Part of me just want to go OE setup with superwhite bulbs. Part of me want to do the lazy eye. And for odd reason, there is a ricer part of me whtat wants to throw in ring lights. I try not to listen to that part.

Go full VIP Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom