• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Get some photos of your car up!

It's a rolling shell right now. But will be able to go up to work on it in a couple weeks. Will take photos then.

AcridMeat

Banned
carland86-initial-d-replica-1-433x325.jpg

Tofu delivery?

Obviously, why is that a question?

robox

How do you feel about lazy eye flip up headlights?

I've been going back and forth about them for a while. Part of me just want to go OE setup with superwhite bulbs. Part of me want to do the lazy eye. And for odd reason, there is a ricer part of me whtat wants to throw in ring lights. I try not to listen to that part.
if by lazy eye, you mean 1 half open popup lamp and 1 not, then no. it doesn't look good on people, so why should it look good on a car?
at first i thought you were talking about sleepy eyes, with both popups set to be partially opened. that, i used to think was neat years ago, but i don't really care for it anymore.
whether you do sleepy eye or not (or fixed lamp levin conversion!) do the superwhite. and the rings. if you can make them not goofy inside of popup lights.

Go full VIP Style.

VIP. Corolla.
really?? think about what you just said. it's oxymoronic.

53f1f3f0.jpg

Circle T

AutomotiveGAF, I'm looking for some opinions.

I'm shopping for a new car, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 cars; 2012 VW GTI and the 2012 Mazdaspeed 3. I like both, and they are priced almost the same, so I'm really torn. MS3 obviously has the power advantage, but I like the looks of the VW a bit more.

Any owners want to chime in with some positives and negatives from owning either of them?

aznpxdd

I don't own either, but if its a DD, I would definitely go with GTI. More refined and the interior is a notch above the MS3.

GTI has tons of aftermarket support as well, if you plan on modding. (though I'm sure MS3 has its share also)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't own either, but if its a DD, I would definitely go with GTI. More refined and the interior is a notch above the MS3.

GTI has tons of aftermarket support as well, if you plan on modding. (though I'm sure MS3 has its share also)

Yeah, pretty much. I'd also go with the GTI. If you want the extra power go get an APR tune for $550 and you'll be extremely content with the results. The Mazda's styling is just too polarizing and cartoony, and the 2013 models will be facelifted with a more aggressive fascia.

NoRéN

Hello, everyone. Need some help/suggestions/point in the right direction.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a site that sells tires? I need some tires and want to compare prices to a quote I got today but most sites don't go far enough on the year category. Size I'm looking for specifically is 235 60R14 or 245 60R14.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

NoRéN;33874010 said:
Hello, everyone. Need some help/suggestions/point in the right direction.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a site that sells tires? I need some tires and want to compare prices to a quote I got today but most sites don't go far enough on the year category. Size I'm looking for specifically is 235 60R14 or 245 60R14.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

I have orders tires break pads and discs from tire rack.

negitoro7

Test drove a brand new 2011 white Mazdaspeed3 this morning. Loads of fun, I liked it more than the DSG GTI that I drove a while back. Love the easy clutch, precise short-throw shifter, power and torque everywhere and the Tech Package. Was almost willing to sign the dotted line today, but they wouldn't budge on the price much or at all. $34,xxx plus taxes came out to $38,xxx. Was disappointed that a 2011 doesn't fetch more of a discount, but I guess it is the last one left in Canada (supposedly). Sales guy and his manager really wanted my business, but they let me walk away without reducing further.

The gf and myself pretty much decided we could stomach around $32,000 - $33,000 out-the-door even though it would hurt, but $38,000+ is no-can-do for now. Please tell me I did the right thing, or is $38,000 reasonable? :(

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Test drove a brand new 2011 white Mazdaspeed3 this morning. Loads of fun, I liked it more than the DSG GTI that I drove a while back. Love the easy clutch, precise short-throw shifter, power and torque everywhere and the Tech Package. Was almost willing to sign the dotted line today, but they wouldn't budge on the price much or at all. $34,xxx plus taxes came out to $38,xxx. Was disappointed that a 2011 doesn't fetch more of a discount, but I guess it is the last one left in Canada (supposedly). Sales guy and his manager really wanted my business, but they let me walk away without reducing further.

The gf and myself pretty much decided we could stomach around $32,000 - $33,000 out-the-door even though it would hurt, but $38,000+ is no-can-do for now. Please tell me I did the right thing, or is $38,000 reasonable? :(

No, you definitely did the right thing. Never, ever pay the sticker price on a car. The best thing you can do is go in telling yourself "X Number is the maximum amount I'm willing to pay." You then negotiate, and if the dealer can't get under that number, you walk. There are PLENTY of other cars out there, especially at $32 grand.

Good luck!

EDIT: And yeah, I agree with Pterion; regardless of the discount or not, nearly $40K for a Mazda3 is just beyond silly; even if it is a Mazdaspeed. $40K can buy a lot of better and more luxurious vehicles.

negitoro7

Thanks guys, feeling a little better. It was tough to pry myself away and stick to my guns I must admit, it was love at first test-drive.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thanks guys, feeling a little better. It was tough to pry myself away and stick to my guns I must admit, it was love at first test-drive.

Totally understandable. Nothing wrong with liking a car... a lot... after a test drive. But like you said yourself, you were already on the high end of your budget at 32K; which means that you'd never truly feel 100% satisfied with your purchase at 38K. Don't get discouraged; I think your 32K number is definitely do-able, and I'd keep an eye out. Mazda 3s are nice vehicles, I like them a lot - they're a lot of car for the money on the more entry models; but that value starts to diminish a bit, at least imo, as you load up the options.

Any other cars you're looking at? Or after that drive, are you pretty much set on the MS3?

In any case, stay positive; IMO, you definitely did the right thing!

negitoro7

Totally understandable. Nothing wrong with liking a car... a lot... after a test drive. But like you said yourself, you were already on the high end of your budget at 32K; which means that you'd never truly feel 100% satisfied with your purchase at 38K. Don't get discouraged; I think your 32K number is definitely do-able, and I'd keep an eye out. Mazda 3s are nice vehicles, I like them a lot - they're a lot of car for the money on the more entry models; but that value starts to diminish a bit, at least imo, as you load up the options.

Any other cars you're looking at? Or after that drive, are you pretty much set on the MS3?

In any case, stay positive; IMO, you definitely did the right thing!

The only cars on my list are the 'Speed3, GTI, further down the list: Civic SI Sedan and waaaaaay further down is a MX5 PRHT.

My gf is 90% against the MX5 cause we need a vehicle for occasional camping, biking, snowboarding etc. and we drive our (her) best friends a lot. I've yet to test-drive one cause I know I'll HAVE to have it after experiencing top-down rear wheel drive goodness.

The Civic Si Sedan sounds like a great car, but it's down on power compared to my top two choices and there's no useful hatch configuration. The 2012s are pretty much a disaster too compared to previous gen.

WRX Wagon is out of my price-range, otherwise it might be the winner.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

$34k for a Speed3? ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

What the fuck? Where do you live?

EDIT: Fucking Canada.

cbox

where in canada are you?

AlphaSnake

Yep. Verrazano in the background.

Edit: Yikes, you like taking that drive? That's...pretty absurd. The Belt and BQE are the most dangerous and pothole ridden shitpits NYC has to offer.

Ovid

I agree.

I drove the Pacific Coast Highway over the summer in a 2012 Camaro SS. Such a beautiful thing.

Edit: Yikes, you like taking that drive? That's...pretty absurd. The Belt and BQE are the most dangerous and pothole ridden shitpits NYC has to offer.

LOL...very true but the drive along that stretch still has a great view. Along the SW part of the Belt you get to see the Verrazano and Staten Island. Near the Belt-BQE merge you get the southern tip of Manhattan with the Statue of Liberty in the foreground. Love it.

nitewulf

the view dude! the view! at dusk or daytime, on a nice breezy day...it's so gorgeous. plus we always park and chill out. and at night....forget about it. i doubt there are too many spots in NYC as scenic (though the Brooklyn Bridge Park is great!).

i agree the actual quality of the road is shit...but whole of NYC roads are shit, do you notice that one little, tiny stretch of BQE around Williamsburg that's all new? the moment my car goes on that stretch...it's like i'm riding a Rolls.

I agree.

I drove the Pacific Coast Highway over the summer in a 2012 Camaro SS. Such a beautiful thing.
High five, I rented a Mustang convertible and did it. What an experience.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Any 4Runner owners out there? I have a '98 4WD Ltd. Runs great. 3rd gen runners are some of the nicest looking SUVs on the road IMO. And the 3.4 engine is one of the most reliable. My only complaint is the ride and power. But, Toyota engines have always had just enough power to get the job done, and the reliability to get you home.

AlphaSnake

the view dude! the view! at dusk or daytime, on a nice breezy day...it's so gorgeous. plus we always park and chill out. and at night....forget about it. i doubt there are too many spots in NYC as scenic (though the Brooklyn Bridge Park is great!).

i agree the actual quality of the road is shit...but whole of NYC roads are shit, do you notice that one little, tiny stretch of BQE around Williamsburg that's all new? the moment my car goes on that stretch...it's like i'm riding a Rolls.

Ahahaha, yeah. You pass the bridge...avoid a swarm of craters and then a stretch of new black asphalt that takes you to the W-Burg bridge. If you just so happen to keep going towards Brooklyn...you'd rather drive over mines - the exploding kind.

nitewulf

That makes no sense. What relationship does "government subsidies" have with the price of new cars in Canada?

likely, import taxes for the cars are a lot more, so the manufacturers have to price them higher. that's why comparable stuff cost so much higher in England than in the US for example.

ameratsu

likely, import taxes for the cars are a lot more, so the manufacturers have to price them higher. that's why comparable stuff cost so much higher in England than in the US for example.

Even if that is the case, that's not what AlphaSnake said. He said that higher prices happen when a government subsidizes health care, presumably speaking about consumer goods in general, but new vehicles specifically. I am dumbfounded... does he mean that we pay more and the extra money goes towards funding things like health care?

Ovid

My friend and I drove to Vegas from L.A. in this:

fDOWV.jpg

After the trip, my buddy went home but I got stuck in Cali because of Hurricane Irene. I had extended vacation (my boss was cool with it) so I decided to make a new trip out of it and drive to San Francisco in this:

6p7yl.jpg

la2VQ.jpg

Friend and I might rent this next year ;)
ydWEs.jpg

I had to take pics of this thing. Motivation for my next big vacation. WE GO HARD....lol!!!

AlphaSnake

My friend and I drove to Vegas from L.A. in this:

fDOWV.jpg

After the trip, my buddy went home but I got stuck in Cali because of Hurricane Irene. I had extended vacation (my boss was cool with it) so I decided to make a new trip out of it and drive to San Francisco in this:

6p7yl.jpg

la2VQ.jpg

Friend and I might rent this next year ;)
ydWEs.jpg

I had to take pics of this thing. Motivation for my next big vacation. WE GO HARD....lol!!!

How much was the Vette to rent? My gf and I have been considering a coastal trip along CA.

Ended 2011 shopping for a 2012 Honda Fit on New Year's Eve...ended up with a White Sport Automatic under sticker, just under invoice even...good times. =)

NoRéN

Ended 2011 shopping for a 2012 Honda Fit on New Year's Eve...ended up with a White Sport Automatic under sticker, just under invoice even...good times. =)
Congrats, broski! Pics incoming, right?

Alls I got is bought some tires, full tune up, and fucked with the timing on my now 42 year old car.

AlphaSnake

Right. Aren't sales tax and import tax crazy high on cars in Canada, which is what makes them so expensive despite their dollar and the USD being very close today? Parts of Canada have a sales tax upwards of 16% on goods (GST+PST). I'd imagine a lot of that has to do with Canada's subsidies.

But that's another can of worms.

cbox

That's a consideration in the Spring / Summer when I save up enough to buy a used one outright. Otherwise, the dealerships have me by the balls with their 0% financing rates on new vehicles.

Vancouver: the land of overpriced used white TSXs, squash air fresheners, and hello kitty seatbelt covers.

Ahhh I was going to give you a hookup I have at a Toronto mazda dealership where I bought my 2010 gs hatch. Good luck man! Speed3 is such a fun car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom