• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

You didn't have your own car insurance? 95% of insurance companies cover rental insurance.

Yeah, my car is fully insured but i didn't realize that it covered rentals too. I'll have to check my insurance agreement to see if this is indeed true.

Just noticed this, I meant they should obviously make theirs like the tofu delivery AE86 from Initial D.

Re-reading I realise how my post could have been interpreted another way. I also meant that they should tofu that chassis up, and it should have be done without saying :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, my car is fully insured but i didn't realize that it covered rentals too. I'll have to check my insurance agreement to see if this is indeed true.

Like I said, nearly everyone company does. Who is yours?

AcridMeat

Banned
Re-reading I realise how my post could have been interpreted another way. I also meant that they should tofu that chassis up, and it should have be done without saying :p

Well darn it that's how I interpreted it initially, hence no response! Gurt dangit!

What's to take away from this? TOFU YOUR COROLLA MAN (ChiTownBuffalo)

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well darn it that's how I interpreted it initially, hence no response! Gurt dangit!

What's to take away from this? TOFU YOUR COROLLA MAN (ChiTownBuffalo)

My friends and I were joking this weekend about that.

I want to call my Corolla Kojima, it'll take me 4 years to finish, and when I do, I'm going to drift for no reason whatsoever.

Pulling into the grocery store? Dorifto!

Moving my car for snow days? Dorifto!

Exiting the car, pontificate on how drivinf has changed. With the traction control, and laser distance detection.

I should be getting a nice, well-paying job this month (here's hoping). If so, I'm selling my 6-spd TL and buying another AP1 S2000. No J swap for me, I'm just going to take that bad-boy and boost up to around 9-10 lbs on a supercharger, make 400-420 whp, and also build/tune the suspension for road racing. However, the car will still be able to be driven on the street with great ride comfort and good fuel efficiency.

I want it to be an effective combination of ridiculous straightline speed but with insane handling like my previous one. And thanks to the relatively low torque output of the F20c, even when boosted to over 400 whp, I should be able to effectively manage wheelspin during cornering without compromising handling. @ 2600 lbs with 400+ whp, I should have a lot of fun.

Not really sure if I want to get another hardtop, though. Don't want it to get stolen, and I really like putting the soft-top down. Plus soft-top is very sleeper.

^^^ Correction, the E30 was the best 3 series ever. I do love the look of the E92 and E90 far better than the E46's. I just can't get over the water pump, coil packs, fuel pump issues in the early E92/90

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
08-2013-audi-s4-fd.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-audi-s4-first-drive/med/#photo-4713901/

I know I shouldn't, but maybe I should. Hurry up Jaguar! I need details of the CX16.

Circle T

I hate to say it, as it sort of goes against the cars intention, but I wish it were just a bit more aggressive looking. If you didn't spot the badges, you could easily mistake it for a normal A4. Some better wheels and a slightly more mean looking front end would be a big improvement, IMO.

kharma45

I hate to say it, as it sort of goes against the cars intention, but I wish it were just a bit more aggressive looking. If you didn't spot the badges, you could easily mistake it for a normal A4. Some better wheels and a slightly more mean looking front end would be a big improvement, IMO.

Yeah those wheels are dwarfed by the arches.

reilo

They have a 19" 255 wide option for the wheels which would go a long way. A decent window tint and a darkened out aftermarket grille would be plenty. The rear looks more aggressive than the predecessor though, that's for sure.

Autoblog wrote that the reason it came with the 18" for their test drive was due to it being winter.

Circle T

They have a 19" 255 wide option for the wheels which would go a long way. A decent window tint and a darkened out aftermarket grille would be plenty. The rear looks more aggressive than the predecessor though, that's for sure.

Autoblog wrote that the reason it came with the 18" for their test drive was due to it being winter.

Yea, bigger wheels would be a good start. And yes, the back end is quite nice looking with the quad pipes. I just wish the front were just a tad more aggressive. It doesn't need to be all crazy, like the RS5, but something more than just some silver slats in the lower vents would help.

Overall, though, the car is quite nice looking. The A/S4 is always classy looking, and this one is no exception.

reilo

Yea, bigger wheels would be a good start. And yes, the back end is quite nice looking with the quad pipes. I just wish the front were just a tad more aggressive. It doesn't need to be all crazy, like the RS5, but something more than just some silver slats in the lower vents would help.

Overall, though, the car is quite nice looking. The A/S4 is always classy looking, and this one is no exception.

Yep. Slightly darker and less busy grille, maybe the car in pearl white and some larger rims = win.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don't want to start a new thread so I'll just ask here.

What is this called in english?
http://www.verktygsboden.se/karossnurror/bilvagga

Bilvagga
Bil = car
vagga = cradle

Car cradle? No results! :p

Its called a Body Rotisserie

Anyway, i was hoping some detective-gaf members would be able to identify this truck:
mSll6.jpg

0H3Of.jpg

N7v98.jpg

I must know what truck this thing is based off of.
Thanks in advance.
Kinda looks WW2-era but stylized?...im not very good with trucks.

ascii42

The new Dodge Dart looks interesting. Don't really care for the big black plastic thing splitting the upper and lower grille. but otherwise I like the look. Interior looks pretty good for a compact. Apparently there are three different engine options, and three different transmissions, including a 9-speed auto.

Here's a video
01-2013-dodge-dart628.jpg

The new Dodge Dart looks interesting. Don't really care for the big black plastic thing splitting the upper and lower grille. but otherwise I like the look. Interior looks pretty good for a compact. Apparently there are three different engine options, and three different transmissions, including a 9-speed auto.

Here's a video
01-2013-dodge-dart628.jpg

9-speed auto? Now that is interesting.

Interesting, the drivetrain options read like something from a Euro a car brochure.

Nevertheless, the drivetrains that have been announced already should have much to offer, with the lineup consisting of three different engine options as well as three different transmissions. The engines include a base 2.0-liter four-cylinder, a mid-level 1.4-liter turbo four with MultiAir technology, and finally a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine as the range-topper.

These three engines, combined with three transmission choices--likely to be a six-speed manual, six-speed automatic or six-speed dual clutch--should enable the 2013 Dart to provide the most diverse powertrain lineup in its class. The nine-speeder, if announced, will likely come at a later date.

1.4 liter turbo?
6-speed manual?
No shitty V-6's?!

This ain't your fathers Dodge, sounds like a very promising (and sensible) car.

AcridMeat

Banned
Is it just me or does the interior look very cramped? And a 9-speed automatic sounds horrible in my head, wonder how it works in practice.

If it looks like a box, a bubble or an egg it's a piece if shit.

If it looks like an everyday common car, it's not worth ogling over.

If it's a sedan, give it back to grandma after dropping off the kids.

And now that you've made a bunch of shitty, inaccurate generalizations, you can get out of the thread.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't like that black bar on the grill. I think it would look great in all black, maybe.

edit: I hear Jeep is making a diesel Grand Cherokee, if only Toyota would do the same to the Tundra and FJ.

I can't speak to the IS-F, and that's a big if. I understand the benefits, but like I said in my head it doesn't sound good.

It is a big if, but again, let's hope that if they're going this far with doing things right, that they'll make the gearing good.

IS-F's auto is excellent, especially considering it's an 8-speed. It does need slightly better shift logic, though. Also gives the IS-F great fuel economy for its size/power output.

Hey car GAF dudes, I've just passed my driving test and so I'm looking for any advice you have regarding a first car?

I'm in the UK and have about £2000 to spend on it. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should be looking for when buying a used car or suggestions on what car I should go with for my first?

I'm pretty excited to be buying a car man, thanks for your help!

kharma45

Hey car GAF dudes, I've just passed my driving test and so I'm looking for any advice you have regarding a first car?

I'm in the UK and have about £2000 to spend on it. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should be looking for when buying a used car or suggestions on what car I should go with for my first?

Something like a Fiesta would probably be easy enough to get insured on

Just saw this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...earch/true/page/68/postcode/bt473xj?logcode=p

Looks almost too good to be true! I was expecting more this shape Fiesta for that budget

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...earch/true/page/68/postcode/bt473xx?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...t473xx/quicksearch/true/radius/1501?logcode=p

Have you factored in insurance? Can you maintain cars in any capacity? Are you game for any spec?

I'd go with the hatch option too, £2,000 should fetch a nice post year 2000, clean, little runner which hasn't covered a huge amount of mileage.

I'd say you should definitely look in to insurance on your average hatchback car first because it's now so ridiculous it can put fresh license holders off purchasing a car for a good while!

I'd suggest a Yaris because from experience they are bulletproof and cost so little in running costs.

What do you like and why?

I do like the Genesis and the Tiburon though. Hyundai has been getting better with their body styles.

What are you talking about? Your goofy statement has nothing to do with what *I* like. The point is, the generalizations you made are flat-out wrong.

So the Focus, Fit, Fiesta, etc are POS cars? Not true.

Really? I can think of some amazingly bad-ass cars that look like everyday common cars yet people ogle over them:

Forester STI (also totally blows your 'boxy' comment out of the water)
modp_0911_04_o+building_your_own_subaru_forester_sti+doug_nelsons_xt.jpg

Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX / Eagle Talon TSi AWD / Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
31893330001_large.jpg

This one was dumb too. It just sounds ignorant when you consider what kind of sedans are available today:

M3 E90/92 Sedan
vorsteiner_e90m3-1.jpg

Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
ctsv-review001_opt.jpg

Lexus IS-F
Lexus-ISF-Image.jpg

Mercedes C63 AMG
2012-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-sedan-rear-side-view.jpg

ANY BMW M5
bmw-m5-e60-back-1_72.jpg

When you pop into a thread with such bold, false statements, it's annoying.

FStop7

Banned
Its called a Body Rotisserie

Anyway, i was hoping some detective-gaf members would be able to identify this truck:
http://i.imgur.com/mSll6.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0H3Of.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/N7v98.jpg

I must know what truck this thing is based off of.
Thanks in advance.
Kinda looks WW2-era but stylized?...im not very good with trucks.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what manga is this? Love the artwork.

ascii42

What are you talking about? Your goofy statement has nothing to do with what *I* like. The point is, the generalizations you made are flat-out wrong.

Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
ctsv-review001_opt.jpg

When you pop into a thread with such bold, false statements, it's annoying.
Hey now, the CTS-V wagon is the perfect family car for dropping your kids off at soccer practice, on time, every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom