• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acura NSX Concept: what happens when an R8 and an Accord Hybrid have a love child...

[MG]http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2012-acura-nsx-concept_100376756_l.jpg[/IMG]

Downgrade. Old NSX looks way better.

FtyKb.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I had high hopes for 2011 Lincoln cars until I sat in one of them (It was MKX). Softy seats immediately turned me off. I just couldn't get out of my head their image of an "old man's car" that they try to shake off, and some design cues like that still betrayed that design philosophy to me,

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The new NSX is yet another supercar from the Ridge Racer school of auto design. See: McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari 458, Lamborghini Aventador.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really late to congratulate you on this! Looks like a fantastic car, really. Could it be using those electromagnetic fluid shocks if it smooths over road bumps that much?

To be honest I'm a little surprised you went with it after all the poo-pooing you've given the Audi through this thread.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Really late to congratulate you on this! Looks like a fantastic car, really. Could it be using those electromagnetic fluid shocks if it smooths over road bumps that much?

To be honest I'm a little surprised you went with it after all the poo-pooing you've given the Audi through this thread.

At the end of the day, the best car was the best car. I'm an honest guy, and I can look past my own biases or peeves when the truth is right there.

AutoGAF, need your simple advice. My current ride (1999 Pontiac Grand Prix sedan) is finally starting to show its age pretty badly. It's at the point where the cost of fixing things might be more than the car itself is even worth, and I've had it for almost five and a half of the 13 years it's been on the road, so the time is starting to look ok for a replacement. (By comparison, my first car was a 1994 Chevy Astro that I had until 2007 ... ugh.)

9581985_1.jpg

(Picture for reference only)

So I come to you to get your opinions because I'm stuck right now. I'm looking for either:

- A good used car with fuel mileage (either a sedan or sports coupe) that would be considered an upgrade over my current ride, or;

- Same thing but new and under $26k

Basically, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'd want to look at so I can go out and look at it. I don't really know where to start because there's so many options out there and I am on a bit of a budget. I've been looking at Toyota/Scion, Hyundai, Ford, Volkswagen and Nissan as possibilities, if that helps. Thanks in advance if you can help point me in the right direction on a few models.

AutoGAF, need your simple advice. My current ride (1999 Pontiac Grand Prix sedan) is finally starting to show its age pretty badly. It's at the point where the cost of fixing things might be more than the car itself is even worth, and I've had it for almost five and a half of the 13 years it's been on the road, so the time is starting to look ok for a replacement. (By comparison, my first car was a 1994 Chevy Astro that I had until 2007 ... ugh.)

9581985_1.jpg

So I come to you to get your opinions because I'm stuck right now. I'm looking for either:

- A good used car with fuel mileage (either a sedan or sports coupe) that would be considered an upgrade over my current ride, or;

Basically, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'd want to look at so I can go out and look at it. I don't really know where to start because there's so many options out there and I am on a bit of a budget. I've been looking at Toyota/Scion, Hyundai, Ford, Volkswagen and Nissan as possibilities, if that helps. Thanks in advance if you can help point me in the right direction on a few models.

Need to know this:

What kind of gas mileage do you need?

Is drivetrain important? IE do you need front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive?

Do you justwant a commuter or do you want performance?

Automatic or manual preferred?

Are you against buying used?

Need to know this:

OK, let me answer :)

What kind of gas mileage do you need?

Right now I'm getting about 20 city/22 highway. So roughly around that, or better.

Is drivetrain important? IE do you need front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive?

I've driven both, but it's not really too important to me.

Do you justwant a commuter or do you want performance?

If possible, something that's a little bit of both.

Automatic or manual preferred?

Auto, if possible.

Are you against buying used?

Not against it at all. I'd prefer, if possible, to get something model year 2007 or newer, but I'm not opposed to a model year 2005 or 2006 car, either, if its in good condition.

OK, let me answer :)

Right now I'm getting about 20 city/22 highway. So roughly around that, or better.

I've driven both, but it's not really too important to me.

If possible, something that's a little bit of both.

Auto, if possible.

Not against it at all. I'd prefer, if possible, to get something model year 2007 or newer, but I'm not opposed to a model year 2005 or 2006 car, either, if its in good condition.

Here are my recommendations:

Used 2011 Mustang V6 - good gas mileage, sporty, good handling, good power + torque, comfortable, reliable, very balanced car in every aspect

Used Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T or V6 - Good gas mileage, fun to drive, good power, good interior, just good all around

Used Accord V6 (2008 or above) - VERY reliable, great gas mileage, good power, looks good, nice interior, holds resale value well

If you want something way under budget, I recommend the Mazda 3, a Focus/Fiesta, or a Hyundai Sonata. Those are more on the 'commuter' side of things though.

Here are my recommendations:

Used 2011 Mustang V6 - good gas mileage, sporty, good handling, good power + torque, comfortable, reliable, very balanced car in every aspect

Used Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T or V6 - Good gas mileage, fun to drive, good power, good interior, just good all around

If you want something way under budget, I recommend the Mazda 3, a Focus/Fiesta, or a Hyundai Sonata. Those are more on the 'commuter' side of things though.

I'd also add to this the 2007-2008 Acura TSX. Timeless looks inside and out, good performance, respectable fuel economy, very safe, and very reliable. You can find one for $16,000-$20,000.

I'd also add to this the 2007-2008 Acura TSX. Timeless looks inside and out, good performance, respectable fuel economy, very safe, and very reliable. You can find one for $16,000-$20,000.

Acura TSX is a rip-off, especially when you consider you can get an 04-08 Acura TL or an 08+ Accord V6 for the same price

Here's why:

TL or Accord V6 get similar gas mileage to a TSX, yet have around 50-70 more horsepower. They are far more fun to drive, they have better features, the TL is roomier, they look better, and they are just nicer cars overall.

For example, I bought my '05 TL 6-speed for $10k, a friend of mine just bought an '05 TSX for $12k. My car has 100 more horsepower than his, gets about the same gas mileage, has more room, has far better handling, looks better, has a nicer interior, comes with Bluetooth standard, everything is just better, period.

There is absolutely no reason to buy a used TSX, they really are a huge ripoff when you see what else you can get for the price. Sorry to shoot you down, BB, but I'm more shooting the TSX down because it sucks in comparison to the TL or Accord V6.

cajunator

Banned
New Ford Mondeo looks very Aston Martin at the front with that grille, and I see a tiny bit of Lambo Aventador at the back in it

EHl7t.jpg

ylezc.jpg

That looks really good. I'm happy with the desin of my previous gen one though. REally love the waterfall grille and I wish they had kept using a form of it.

SUPREME1

Banned
So what does this compete with, exactly? The Buick Verano, maybe? They're both upscale FWD compacts. What's the ILX going to cost?

BMW 3-series? Or really any entry level luxury brand car.

Edit:

6a00d83451b3c669e20168e542610c970c-800wi

I kinda like it.

Edit:

In its heyday, Acura effectively straddled the line between entry-level luxury (a la Infiniti or Lexus) and premium (a la Volvo or Buick). It's a fine line, but when the carmaker ditched its Honda Civic-based RSX for the (unique to America) TSX in the middle of the last decade, you can argue that the brand finally landed solely in the entry-luxury category. It may be just coincidence, but since the changeover, Acura sales have dwindled steadily, now down about 60% from their peak in 2005.

In that respect, think of the Acura ILX Concept as an admission that the company's previous marketing direction had led the brand astray. Instead of reaching for the luxury mantle, the ILX compact, a Civic-based model, marks the return of premium (not luxury) car making to at least part of the Acura stable. The compact will be priced "well below $30,000," according to Acura, and it will augment, not replace, the TSX, which currently starts just south of $30,000. The ILX's likeliest competitors include the Volvo C30, Audi A3 and, most directly, the new Buick Verano.

The ILX models will come with three engine options: a 2.0-liter four-cylinder, a 2.4-liter four-cylinder and a 1.5-liter hybrid powertrain, Acura's first hybrid offering. While some variations of these powertrains can be found on the Civic, Civic Hybrid and TSX, we expect the ILX to get the updated "Earth Dreams" variants, which improve power and fuel efficiency.
The ILX will have a six-speed manual transmission with the 2.4-liter engine. There's no mention of other transmissions, though the hybrid trim will likely stick with the Civic Hybrid's continuously variable automatic transmission. At 179 inches long, the ILX is a tad longer than the Civic, though its wheelbase is identical at 105 inches. There's no word on what type of differentiation will happen underneath the ILX's skin — to the engine cradle or suspension, for instance — to make sure it doesn't step on the Civics' toes, or vice versa.

Besides the different powertrain options, the ILX will also distinguish itself from its Civic brethren with more luxurious amenities and tech wizardry. Features include a passive entry system, push-button start and smartphone tethering to access Pandora internet radio and text messaging.

The model will go into production this spring at Honda's Greensburg, Ind., plant, which currently builds just the Civic. Pictures of the interior weren't made available, but check back for our impressions from the show floor.

Spiritual successor to RSX?

[MG]http://images02.olx.com/ui/1/24/85/9581985_1.jpg[/IMG]

A $26,000 budget leaves you wide open for a ton of different vehicles choices, from econo-boxes, to sports cars, to luxury, to sports-luxury. So the best thing to do right now is go out look at a bunch of cars, sit in them, test drive a few. Just to get an idea of what really matters to you. Then when you get a better idea, come back here and let these guys push you in the right direction.

Acura TSX is a rip-off, especially when you consider you can get an 04-08 Acura TL or an 08+ Accord V6 for the same price

Here's why:

TL or Accord V6 get similar gas mileage to a TSX, yet have around 50-70 more horsepower. They are far more fun to drive, they have better features, the TL is roomier, they look better, and they are just nicer cars overall.

For example, I bought my '05 TL 6-speed for $10k, a friend of mine just bought an '05 TSX for $12k. My car has 100 more horsepower than his, gets about the same gas mileage, has more room, has far better handling, looks better, has a nicer interior, comes with Bluetooth standard, everything is just better, period.

There is absolutely no reason to buy a used TSX, they really are a huge ripoff when you see what else you can get for the price. Sorry to shoot you down, BB, but I'm more shooting the TSX down because it sucks in comparison to the TL or Accord V6.

As everyone knows, looks are totally subjective, and I believe the 07-08 TSX is one of the more attractive sports sedans around. More attractive than the TL, regardless of year.

Also, some people will prefer a slightly smaller vehicle, as well as the better fuel economy of a smaller motor. Lastly, some people don't see horsepower as the most important thing. A TSX with 200hp is plenty for me, especially when it's an engine that is willing to rev and has a great sound to it.

Thanks for the starting info, guys :) I'll follow up on some of your recommendations and suggestions and let you guys know.

I have a few possibilities in mind, so I'll check those out first.

As everyone knows, looks are totally subjective, and I believe the 07-08 TSX is one of the more attractive sports sedans around. More attractive than the TL, regardless of year.

Also, some people will prefer a slightly smaller vehicle, as well as the better fuel economy of a smaller motor. Lastly, some people don't see horsepower as the most important thing. A TSX with 200hp is plenty for me, especially when it's an engine that is willing to rev and has a great sound to it.

TSX K24 sounds like crap, what are you talking about? TSX has almost no engine note whatsoever The TSX gets maybe 1-2 MPG more than a TL, yet is far slower and less torquey. Nobody in their right mind is going to drive a TSX and a TL and say that 1-2 MPG more is worth it for a car with that much less power when they're the same price. And the TL has a far better feature-set, hell, even the Accord V6 does.

No, sorry, the TSX is not more attractive than the TL, you're just talking crazy. :p There's a reason that the 3rd gen TL is Acura's best-selling car of all time. You're really trying to say a TSX looks better than this:

2008-acura-tl-type-s-0001.jpg

2007-acura-tl-type-s-1w.jpg

vs

2008-acura-tsx-1.jpg

You crazy, man, CRAZY.

Kosmo

Banned
New MKZ concept - thought they would go more radical. I really like the back end (similar to Jaguar), but the front end is meh.

bilde

bilde

bilde

AlphaSnake

Uhh...wtf? This is why Honda is literally on the edge of being surpassed by Nissan. In fact, Nissan will begin to outsell Honda within the next 3 months, which is incredible.

Good job, Honda. Good job at sucking.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Uhh...wtf? This is why Honda is literally on the edge of being surpassed by Nissan. In fact, Nissan will begin to outsell Honda within the next 3 months, which is incredible.

Good job, Honda. Good job at sucking.

Seriously...they really fell off hard.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Japanese cars for the most part have been such a disappointment in the past decade.

Halvie

Banned
New MKZ concept - thought they would go more radical. I really like the back end (similar to Jaguar), but the front end is meh.

bilde

Has any other company been this consistent with releasing absolutely horrible looking cars. I can't fathom how that front end has actually made it into production. Unbelievable.

ascii42

Has any other company been this consistent with releasing absolutely horrible looking cars. I can't fathom how that front end has actually made it into production. Unbelievable.
Technically that's just a concept, but I expect production will look similar. Acura certainly tried to ruin their cars with the beak. Lexus appears to be trying to ruin their cars with the predator grille.

I'm not entirely put off by the MKZ, but I don't see many people buying one over, say, a Cadillac CTS, or even the new Ford Fusion.

Halvie

Banned
Technically that's just a concept, but I expect production will look similar. Acura certainly tried to ruin their cars with the beak. Lexus appears to be trying to ruin their cars with the predator grille.

I'm not entirely put off by the MKZ, but I don't see many people buying one over, say, a Cadillac CTS, or even the new Ford Fusion.

Just the front end I have a problem with really. Shockingly bad looking. Like their design team is trolling them. Who the fuck would want to actually buy that...

AlphaSnake

Um? Hellloooo, Mazda?

Also, fuck "New" Honda. Such a joke.

Mazda's look weird. The Mazda 3 is a hothatch, and it's FWD. The Miata is slow and tiny. The RX8 was just plain terrible and painfully slow. When Mazda releases a 300HP+ RWD coupe, then we'll talk.

Likewise, same goes for Subaru. I'm not a fan of EVOs and STIs, though I can see why some people would call them sports cars. Though, my original comment was largely aimed at the big 3 that represent the vast majority of JDM sales.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The interior, profile and rear of the new Lincoln i like, the glass roof is cool too. But i just dont like the front grill, change that up and its a nice lookin ride all around, time to see what engines/drivetrain/trans they equip it with.

reilo

The 3.8-liter V6 in the Genesis Coupe now makes 348 horsepower and 296 pound-feet of torque, up from 306 and 266, respectively. The 2.0T model gains even more, going from 201 horses to 274, with torque improving from 223 lb-ft to 275.

Oh my.

If this is still the same price range as the FR-S... lol.

AlphaSnake

The interior, profile and rear of the new Lincoln i like, the glass roof is cool too. But i just dont like the front grill, change that up and its a nice lookin ride all around, time to see what engines/drivetrain/trans they equip it with.

I'd just paint it black.

Any photoshoppers can try it?

AlphaSnake

Oh my.

If this is still the same price range as the FR-S... lol.

Yep. Oddly enough, Hyundai is saying that times for the V6 model are going to be in the 5-second range to hit 60. That tells me the weight of the car may have gone up, as well. A lot of people complained about the Genesis cheaper materials and plastics, and that it had unrefined noises in the cabin.

We'll see, though. I wonder how they got that torque, when Nissan struggles to achieve that from a similar displacement of 3.7L.

And yeah, the 2.0T being that powerful is Hyundai trolling Toyota for sure.

reilo

Yep. Oddly enough, Hyundai is saying that times for the V6 model are going to be in the 5-second range to hit 60. That tells me the weight of the car may have gone up, as well. A lot of people complained about the Genesis cheaper materials and plastics, and that it had unrefined noises in the cabin.

We'll see, though. I wonder how they got that torque, when Nissan struggles to achieve that from a similar displacement of 3.7L.

And yeah, the 2.0T being that powerful is Hyundai trolling Toyota for sure.

It's almost double the torque and probably a good 400lb difference between the cars.

The V6 model is a gran tourer for sure. But if you want cheap performance fun, the 2.0T is where it's at.

TylerD

I have decided that I will probably wait until the end of the year before I pick something else up*. It is going to be fun as hell test driving and picking out a car with all the new stuff coming out. So many choices under 30k.

*if BRZ or FR-S aren't fun.

AlphaSnake

It's almost double the torque and probably a good 400lb difference between the cars.

The V6 model is a gran tourer for sure. But if you want cheap performance fun, the 2.0T is where it's at.

Every Genesis 2.0T should be sold with a trollface.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
I have decided that I will probably wait until the end of the year before I pick something else up*. It is going to be fun as hell test driving and picking out a car with all the new stuff coming out. So many choices under 30k.

*if BRZ or FR-S aren't fun.

I was waiting for this edit.

this might be way off base for you guys.. but here goes.

My first baby is coming and is due on March 21st me and the wife currently drive a 2007 Suzuki Forenza (yeah) I actually have had no problems at all with the car and its at about 90k miles.

Anyways with the new baby on the way we need to upgrade to something a little bigger and easier to get the baby in and out.

I have had my eye on a '08 Toyota Highlander do any of you guys have any experience with it?

or do you have any other recommendations? I am really open to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom