• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Auto-GAF, have any of you owned or driven the FIAT 500? How is it? I need an inexpensive commuter car that gets good MPG. How much capacity does it have?

Right now I am somewhat split between trying to lease one of these vs. spending a bit more on a Prius.

Zyzyxxz

Auto-GAF, have any of you owned or driven the FIAT 500? How is it? I need an inexpensive commuter car that gets good MPG. How much capacity does it have?

Right now I am somewhat split between trying to lease one of these vs. spending a bit more on a Prius.

I drove Fiat 500 although I liked it money wise it seems it doesn't get that much better mileage than a mini cooper, is much slower and not as fun to drive.

I can't speak for the Abarth since it isn't out yet but at the price range of a base Fiat 500 you should look at the Kia Accent or Hyundai Veloster since they get better mileage and are much more roomier.

TylerD

If you are interested in a Prius. You may check out the new Prius C that is supposed to be releasing in March in NA. It is likely going to be the most fun Prius to drive due to its low weight and size (19.2 inches shorter than standard Prius, 550 lbs lighter) and is going to start under $19,000.

Fuel economy should be combined 50 (53 city, 46 highway) making it the most fuel efficient Prius yet.

Have you considered a Honda Fit? My wife and I just got one recently...it was easily our pick among all the other sub-compacts out there mostly because of all the huge space it offers (look up its 'magic seat' configuration). It might not offer the best in fuel-economy in its class but it's still really good (27/33mpg). Also the quality is really nice for a sub-compact and it's a reliable Honda. Very fun to drive too, especially the Sport version...very nimble handling =)

Now if I wanted an all-out enthusiast sub-compact...consider the Fiat 500 Abarth =) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho (edit: beaten =P)

The turbo four Sonic is right up your alley and fun too (according to the car press).

TheBear

Anyone here driven the Ford Focus RS or Megane RS250? Just wondering how the torque steer is. Drove a Mazda 3 MPS and found it terrible to drive having all that power through the front wheels.

Well apparently some of my fellow SoCal S2000 owners caught Jay Leno driving his McClaren MP4-12c.

Many of us enjoyed reading i_heart_my_db8‘s encounter with the McLaren MP4-12C. While we are all worshippers at the altar of VTEC, most of us remain at heart car enthusiasts and acknowledge other cars. Likewise, it warms our heart when a fellow car enthusiast acknowledges our enthusiasm as well. As things turned out, a group of Southern California S2000 owners were out on their routine Last Sunday of the Month Santa Monica Run when they encountered a McLaren MP4-12C. The door opened and jaws dropped everywhere when people realized who the owner was (Hint: the most famous chin in recent American talk show history).

On December 18, a group of S2000 owners from Southern California set out on their monthly drive on roads that were still slick from recent rainfall. The group eventually arrived at an overlook where they parked their cars and got out to enjoy the view. Shortly thereafter an orange (they call it Volcano Orange) McLaren MP4-12C pulled up to the overlook and the door opened to reveal part-time talk show host and full-time auto enthusiast, Jay Leno.

IMAG0044.jpg

MP4-12C-2.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

031-5.jpg

Jay Leno might just be the coolest guy ever. Who else would seen a group of car enthusiasts, and pull over to show off his own car and just shoot the bull? Every time I hear a story about him I like him more and more. And I just happen to have read his article in Popular Mechanics about the MP4-12C.

Viperbah

what's an affordable classic muscle car that could be bought as a daily driver and enjoyed without too much hassle?

If we are talking mid 60's-early 70s, Yeah the mustang is probably going to be the most affordable, if your not going for a mach 1, boss, cobra..etc...Any decent shape Camaro is expensive. Dodge's are generally expense, the cooler ones anyway.

In all honestly, none of them are going to be "affordable". Things break, any one of them will get 10 to 15mpg tops, no ac, no power steering...on and on.

Not trying to be mean, but just by the fact your asking the question means your already over your head...my advice is to get a project classic, work on it and learn as you go...buy a cheap 4 banger for a DD.

Zyzyxxz

Have you considered a Honda Fit? My wife and I just got one recently...it was easily our pick among all the other sub-compacts out there mostly because of all the huge space it offers (look up its 'magic seat' configuration). It might not offer the best in fuel-economy in its class but it's still really good (27/33mpg). Also the quality is really nice for a sub-compact and it's a reliable Honda. Very fun to drive too, especially the Sport version...very nimble handling =)

Now if I wanted an all-out enthusiast sub-compact...consider the Fiat 500 Abarth =) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho (edit: beaten =P)

When I do get a new daily driver I'm probably going to choose between Prius (maybe the compact), Ford Fiesta, or Honda Fit.

I'm leaning toward Fit since its supposedly fun to drive but also they may release an EV model.

what's an affordable classic muscle car that could be bought as a daily driver and enjoyed without too much hassle?

For affordable classic muscle you have to go to the era nobody wants, the 80's.

I present to you the Ford Mustang 5.0
Mustang_5.0%20(5).jpg

I've read they can be made fast for cheap, can be bought cheaply last I checked a few years back and should be a good learning vehicle but beware it is a pussy deflector if you care at all.

Halvie

Banned
Anyone here driven the Ford Focus RS or Megane RS250? Just wondering how the torque steer is. Drove a Mazda 3 MPS and found it terrible to drive having all that power through the front wheels.

If you live in an area where you can buy an RS and don't you should be punched in the face :)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
the guy wearing the shorts, surely.

I don't know. Jay is "this" close to being full on Canadian Tuxedo, any sort of sports jersey -- especially with ultra-bright colors and shiny material -- is douche alert, and then you have cargo shorts that are far too long? Unf.

Viperbah

For affordable classic muscle you have to go to the era nobody wants, the 80's.

I present to you the Ford Mustang 5.0
Mustang_5.0%20(5).jpg

I've read they can be made fast for cheap, can be bought cheaply last I checked a few years back and should be a good learning vehicle but beware it is a pussy deflector if you care at all.

Yes, older 5.0's can be made stupid fast for the money if you know what your doing.

It seems like 80's muscle market has been on an uptic lately. Clean Irocs and 5.0 are pulling some good prices at auctions.

TylerD

My dad had one of these sans decals for 6 months before he killed it by sliding off a gravel road and wrapping it around a telephone pole when he was in high school.

pix_chevrolet_camaro_ss_indy_pace_car_1969_yv.jpg

ascii42

Yes, older 5.0's can be made stupid fast for the money if you know what your doing.

It seems like 80's muscle market has been on an uptic lately. Clean Irocs and 5.0 are pulling some good prices at auctions.

I think it's been long enough that people are starting to grow fond of them. Hell, Fox body Mustangs are even starting to grow on me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

YES! Just rented one. Was fun to drive BUT ANEMIC AS SHIT. Zero pep, and "sport mode" helped a bit, but not enough. It's like a better Smart Car, but for the money I would get a Fit or a Mazda 3.

negitoro7

Picked up my 2010 Civic Si Sedan last week and finally got a chance to take it out today after the snow and ice melted away. Was perfect cause the heavy rainfall stopped too after doing its job. =)

How often do you guys heel-toe to revmatch on your daily drives (not canyon carving)? I want to slowly teach myself this, never attempted it on my first car years ago.

Picked up my 2010 Civic Si Sedan last week and finally got a chance to take it out today after the snow and ice melted away. Was perfect cause the heavy rainfall stopped too after doing its job. =)

How often do you guys heel-toe to revmatch on your daily drives (not canyon carving)? I want to slowly teach myself this, never attempted it on my first car years ago.

I never heel-toe, and I rarely downshift into stops either.

FStop7

Banned
If you are interested in a Prius. You may check out the new Prius C that is supposed to be releasing in March in NA. It is likely going to be the most fun Prius to drive due to its low weight and size (19.2 inches shorter than standard Prius, 550 lbs lighter) and is going to start under $19,000.

Fuel economy should be combined 50 (53 city, 46 highway) making it the most fuel efficient Prius yet.

The turbo four Sonic is right up your alley and fun too (according to the car press).

I will check these out. TBH fun factor isn't too high on the list because I already have a fast car. But it only gets 16-18mpg on the highway and I'd sooner avoid the additional wear and tear. So I'm looking for something to potentially do the 100 mile per day commute in. It's either that or I move closer to my new job.

I will check out the Fit, too.

It's a shame the Volt is priced over $40k because it would be awesome as I believe they have EV charging stations at my new office. If the Prius Plugin becomes available again soon (I heard it's sold out through the rest of the year) that might also be an option.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't know. Jay is "this" close to being full on Canadian Tuxedo, any sort of sports jersey -- especially with ultra-bright colors and shiny material -- is douche alert, and then you have cargo shorts that are far too long? Unf.

Judging what people are wearing to that extent makes you come off as more of a douche to be honest.

Who cares man.

Zyzyxxz

It's a shame the Volt is priced over $40k because it would be awesome as I believe they have EV charging stations at my new office. If the Prius Plugin becomes available again soon (I heard it's sold out through the rest of the year) that might also be an option.

Prius only gets 12 mile range and performance is severely limited down from 62mph, if you hit the gas pedal too hard gas engine will turn on too.

It really depends if you have electric charging at work and around places in your town which I seriously doubt. IMO Volt is better if you want to get off gas but for the price difference it's not worth it. I am really curious to see what the 2nd Gen Volt will cost and it's range.

I just rev match early then brake, my pedals aren't great for it! That's rev matching for all downshifts, no matter what drive it is.

It's worth noting that the EPA numbers on this car are notoriously conservative for some reason. On Fuelly.com, the average MPG in mixed driving amongst dozens of owners is 33mpg. That means the EPA numbers should look something like 29/37.

It makes you wonder how flawed the EPA test must be for something like that to happen, but it did.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's worth noting that the EPA numbers on this car are notoriously conservative for some reason. On Fuelly.com, the average MPG in mixed driving amongst dozens of owners is 33mpg. That means the EPA numbers should look something like 29/37.

It makes you wonder how flawed the EPA test must be for something like that to happen, but it did.

Thing about the Fit is that it has a fairly coiled up Vtec that encourages very aggressive driving. That's obviously one of the reasons the car is fun to drive, even though it's not particulalry fast, but it leads to wildly varying gas mileage, compounded by the addictive MPG digital meter in the center of the dash.

I LOVE my Fit.
In other news, Mazda just extended the warranty on my CX7 and is going to replace the turbocharger. It leaks oil and creates white smoke from the tailpipe at idle. I am wondering if the replacement unit is just a better engineered version of the original, or an improved version. Ideally it would let me use regular gas and save me a few bucks on the premium gouging it does.

BruiserBear said:

Over the three weeks we've had the car so far I'm currently averaging 27mpg...at one point it got to as low as 24+mpg =P But I've hardly driven it much on the freeway and I tend to drive it 'spiritedly' on city streets. But the more I take it on the freeway the mileage is quickly getting better.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Thing about the Fit is that it has a fairly coiled up Vtec that encourages very aggressive driving. That's obviously one of the reasons the car is fun to drive, even though it's not particulalry fast, but it leads to wildly varying gas mileage, compounded by the addictive MPG digital meter in the center of the dash.

I LOVE my Fit.
We love our Fit too! =) But yeah, I find myself flooring the accelerator at times to let the VTEC KICK IN, YO =P I have to high-rev it often due to having to climb the inclined roads in my neighborhood to get home.

reilo

In other news, Mazda just extended the warranty on my CX7 and is going to replace the turbocharger. It leaks oil and creates white smoke from the tailpipe at idle. I am wondering if the replacement unit is just a better engineered version of the original, or an improved version. Ideally it would let me use regular gas and save me a few bucks on the premium gouging it does.

Hah you got the smoke at idle issue? It took them YEARS to even acknowledge this issue. Most people got theirs replaced under warranty (new turbo, et al). They did a silent fix on all the Genpoo models.

I've been lucky enough that I hadn't had this issue. My buddy got it on his Speed6. He said fuck it and used it as an excuse to get a 3076.

reilo

Enthusiasts looking to purchase a Nissan GT-R will need to dig deeper. Nissan has announced pricing for the 2013 model, which starts at $96,820, nearly $7,000 more than the 2012 car.

You may remember that the 2008 GT-R started under $70,000, so the sticker shock of a 38.6 percent price increase in six model years is not insignificant. That said, Nissan can counter that no supercar within $100,000 can touch the GT-R when it comes to performance bang for the buck.

Yowza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom