• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

For the Corvette's 60th Anniversary, Chevrolet is apparently making a convertible with the Z06's 505hp 427ci V8. Apparently it still only weighs 3355 lbs. Looks like it comes in white with blue stripes, and a blue leather interior. 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds. Quarter mile in 11.8 seconds. Top speed of 190.

Not my favorite anniversary package, and I'm not huge on convertibles, but it should be a lot of fun.
2013-corvette-427-convertible-lead.jpg

13corvette-427conv-00651.jp.jpg

Autoblog

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know it's a huge improvement, but it is an ugly ass interior. The sooner they stop pitching that interior to 57 year old men with loud leather Corvette jackets, the better. The vent cluster and glove box are particularly offensive and bulbous.

Props for the handbrake near the sexy passenger thigh area though. Classic erotic oops moments during parking.

For the Corvette's 60th Anniversary, Chevrolet is apparently making a convertible with the Z06's 505hp 427ci V8. Apparently it still only weighs 3355 lbs. Looks like it comes in white with blue stripes, and a blue leather interior. 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds. Quarter mile in 11.8 seconds. Top speed of 190.

Not my favorite anniversary package, and I'm not huge on convertibles, but it should be a lot of fun.
2013-corvette-427-convertible-lead.jpg

13corvette-427conv-00651.jp.jpg

Autoblog

How nice of them to remake the original Corvette interior.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Headlights look goofy, but the I like the improved interior. They finally got rid of that ugly 'brow' line across the center console that the Carrera has been sporting all these years, including the new one.

makes it look like an MR2 IMO. urgh.

Hopefully they don't bash the cayman with the same ugly stick. Current one is beautiful

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Let me get this straight. You didn't think the S2K interior was functional or user friendly? You say that the controls are cramped in one spot, yet the placement serves to keep the interior as spartan and clean as possible. Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Because I believe that the dashboard/steering wheel area should be the most spartan and cleanly functional area of the car. The stuff in the center dash for HVAC, radio, whatever? That's all fluff.

I also don't believe in the reasoning that the controls were moved to minimize hands-off-the-wheel time. Unless you have Mutumbo-long fingers, you still need to move your hands to use the controls.

Keep the fluff in the spot where it belongs, don't clutter it up in an area where it doesn't belong.

PEUGEOT205GTI-medium-2574_3.jpg

Peugeot 205 GTI. So besotted with this car right now. I have a standard 306 from '97 and while it is a lovely car, the amount of character/charm just does not compare.

I've a friend who owns one, but it's aging and has the rear suspension beam has seized up, pretty snappy handling now.

He also owns one of these...

image.php

Because I believe that the dashboard/steering wheel area should be the most spartan and cleanly functional area of the car. The stuff in the center dash for HVAC, radio, whatever? That's all fluff.

I also don't believe in the reasoning that the controls were moved to minimize hands-off-the-wheel time. Unless you have Mutumbo-long fingers, you still need to move your hands to use the controls.

Keep the fluff in the spot where it belongs, don't clutter it up in an area where it doesn't belong.

Do you not understand the car literally can't have that shit fit in the center? They had to put it next to the steering wheel for function AND necessity. There is no room in the center dash for any of that crap.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Do you not understand the car literally can't have that shit fit in the center? They had to put it next to the steering wheel for function AND necessity. There is no room in the center dash for any of that crap.

How is there not enough room? The S2000 is hardly the smallest drop-top on the market.

How is there not enough room? The S2000 is hardly the smallest drop-top on the market.

Have you torn apart the interior of many S2000's? Are you aware of how much room is available in the dashboard? Hint: Not much. They barely fit the radio under the middle. The interior is very small.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
TBH, as the owner of one, I recommendkeeping it stock, or just doing an exhaust mod with a high quality 3" custom exhaust. Looks nice and sounds amazing. Sounds like an exotic, no lie.

Other than that... maybe nice rims and a drop. The car has amazing handling for a FWD car, easily one of the best handling FWD cars of all time. Up there with the Integra Type R, Mazdaspeed 3, and Focus RS...

$3k is a lot to drop into one, especially when they work best as a commuter/light performance vehicle. Plus they look fantastic stock. And when you change tires on it, it fucks up the gas mileage. I hit a good 33-35 mpg on the highway, and for a V6 with 260 whp (225-230 whp stock), that's awesome.

Ooohh I know man.. Thing sounds insane. I think I'll drop it on springs a little, new rims and possibly A-Spec body kit + some other mods to differentiate mine from others.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
makes it look like an MR2 IMO. urgh.

Hopefully they don't bash the cayman with the same ugly stick. Current one is beautiful

Unfortunately, the entire point of the Boxster and Cayman is that they are quite literally the same car. So they will share the same look.

Ooohh I know man.. Thing sounds insane. I think I'll drop it on springs a little, new rims and possibly A-Spec body kit + some other mods to differentiate mine from others.

Do not do springs, it WILL blow the stock shocks. I recommend doing it right and getting Ground Control springs + Koni Yellows if you want great handling, ride comfort, and durability.

A-Spec looks nice, I have an A-Spec rear bumper with custom quad-tip exhaust. If you want more power, replace the stock precats with high flow precats, which are good for 20+ whp and 12+ wtq. My TL after all mods has more torque at 2.8k RPM than it did at 6k RPM when bone stock. High flow precats add great power across the entire RPM range and don't cost very much.

Make sure to go custom 3", the few good available exhausts are hideously overpriced. I did my custom 3" for $400ish.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Do not do springs, it WILL blow the stock shocks. I recommend doing it right and getting Ground Control springs + Koni Yellows if you want great handling, ride comfort, and durability.

A-Spec looks nice, I have an A-Spec rear bumper with custom quad-tip exhaust. If you want more power, replace the stock precats with high flow precats, which are good for 20+ whp and 12+ wtq. My TL after all mods has more torque at 2.8k RPM than it did at 6k RPM when bone stock. High flow precats add great power across the entire RPM range and don't cost very much.

Make sure to go custom 3", the few good available exhausts are hideously overpriced. I did my custom 3" for $400ish.

Thanks for the tips bro I'll copy this shit to a txt and also get feedback from acurazine.

h1nch

Wat. BMW's interior plastic are shit.

Coming from someone who spent a lot of time driving an E90 335i, X3 and X1.

Uh, compared to what? Other than the stereo/climate controls, there is hardly any hard plastic anywhere in the car. The dash, door lining, center console, etc. are all the higher quality soft plastic that is typically absent in most Japanese/American cars. Their plastic is the same high quality as comparable Audi, and Mercedes models.

Unless you're referring to the wood trim. Thats pretty high quality poplar wood coated in a plastic clear coat. Some people don't like it, I do.

Thanks for the tips bro I'll copy this shit to a txt and also get feedback from acurazine.

Take Acurazine with a grain of salt, some of those guys are full of shit lol. :\ I'm on there if you ever need any links to good info.

If you're anywhere near California, I'll even sell you my mods + trade for stock since I'll be parting out and selling soon.

Ovid

Take Acurazine with a grain of salt, some of those guys are full of shit lol. :\ I'm on there if you ever need any links to good info.

If you're anywhere near California, I'll even sell you my mods + trade for stock since I'll be parting out and selling soon.

They're full of knowledge and very helpful. I learned alot from them.

Have you torn apart the interior of many S2000's? Are you aware of how much room is available in the dashboard? Hint: Not much. They barely fit the radio under the middle. The interior is very small.

But you don't design a dash and then consider controls though...

I, on the other hand do buy the 'reduction in eyes off the road/hands off the wheel' argument, because the company I work for, focuses heavily on it. I can understand Honda's goal, but the way it's gone about it can be considered completely stupid or a stroke of genius.

Help me, Car GAF! For reasons not worth explaining, I've spent all morning at work today having to identify the make, model and year of a bunch of classic cars, which basically just involves a lot of Google image search. I'm down to this one, and I can't figure it out:

car1.jpg

Clearly from the early 50's, but I can't find a chevy or ford that quite looks like it.

The "fangs" make me think Buick, but there are no vents. Pretty sure it's a GM product though, right?

Oh man, what the hell is happening to this thread? Love for the Peugeot 205 and the old Renault Clio?!

I fully endorse this change of direction.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Although it has RJ bodykit it looks better than alot of cars today..

The ILX looks like the true replacement although I still prefer the TL3G look... It's too sexy.

1.jpg

Hell even with an A-Spec kit it'll look better than most vehicles on the road.
Aside from the grill, the current TSX looks extremely similar to the TL3G. The changes weren't all for the better, but I think it looks more TL-like than the current TL.

2011-acura-tsx-9-cd-gallery.jpg

2004_acura_tl_06.jpg

Zyzyxxz

thread needs more ATS talk / ATS-V speculation

work and CES have been on my mind lately so the ATS announcement was not on my radar so I skimmed it so after reading my impressions are that with the numbers we have available it looks like it will be a decent competitor to the 3-series.

Key numbers missing are pricing and fuel efficiency as those can help to differentiate it over the A4/3 series/C-class. Very interested in seeing what numbers the diesel variant will come with though.

Looking forward to it after my positive impressions from driving the CTS coupe, SRX, and CTS-V I would take a price cut for a few less minor luxury features and a "subjectively" different interior quality.

As for AT-V, I think a LS-motor would be pretty badass just like in the CTS-V but rumors of a twin turbo V-6 sound cool also. My big hope would be that it is significantly cheaper than the M3 as the CTS-V is much cheaper than an M5.

MechDX

Bought a new car today, Know Ill get ripped for my purchase and all the car snobs here but Im happy!

avenger.jpg

2011 Dodge Avenger Heat.
-280hp V6
-18 inch rims
-all powered
-full touchscreen entertainment center with 6 speakers

Pic was taken before the dealer did my window tinting. now its all black.

Got it at a REALLY good price since it was a 2011 with a whopping 28 miles. Wanted a car that was sporty yet able to haul the kids around in and wasn't "grandpa's car".

Zyzyxxz

Bought a new car today, Know Ill get ripped for my purchase and all the car snobs here but Im happy!
2011 Dodge Avenger Heat.
-280hp V6
-18 inch rims
-all powered

Got it at a REALLY good price since it was a 2011 with a whopping 28 miles. Wanted a car that was sporty yet able to haul the kids around in and wasn't "grandpa's car".

Nice! Wait so is it a ultra lightly used car technically or just one that sat on the lot for a long time?

MechDX

Nice! Wait so is it a ultra lightly used car technically or just one that sat on the lot for a long time?

New. Chrysler 200 is stealing sales from the Avenger, they are basically the same platform. The Avenger is rumored to be dropped in the next couple years. Way ahead of the 200 as far as sport looks go though.

I wanted a sports car but with two young kids it is hard to get away from what is practical. This combines sporty with practical at 30 MPG.

avenger.jpg

2011 Dodge Avenger Heat.
-280hp V6
-18 inch rims
-all powered

Very nice pick-up. The new Dodges look GREAT. I really, really dig the tail-light design (especially at night) on the new Chargers.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Aside from the grill, the current TSX looks extremely similar to the TL3G. The changes weren't all for the better, but I think it looks more TL-like than the current TL.

2011-acura-tsx-9-cd-gallery.jpg

2004_acura_tl_06.jpg

Yep it's pretty close but I still prefer the look of the 3G, I wish they kept it.

diddles

Banned

avenger.jpg

2011 Dodge Avenger Heat.
-280hp V6
-18 inch rims
-all powered

that's a nice buy man, congrats.

Commenting on a tottaly different car by the same manufacturer? "gee nice fiesta, those new mustangs look pretty nice" ;)

Uh, yes? It's relevant because I'm commenting on another car on the family as well, which adds to my comment about the new Dodges looking great.

'Ted, I really dig those new Nike Frees you got. My favorites are the Sweet Classics, they look great.' The fact that I have to explain this to you and that you're trying to pick a bone with me is laughable. Shove off. :)

Uh, yes? It's relevant because I'm commenting on another car on the family as well, which adds to my comment about the new Dodges looking great.

'Ted, I really dig those new Nike Frees you got. My favorites are the Sweet Classics, they look great.' The fact that I have to explain this to you and that you're trying to pick a bone with me is laughable. Shove off. :)

Ok man, i get where ur comin from and no, i have no bone to pick, in fact i envy ur rig from the pc thread.

Your like one of the only guys who compares nvidia and amd gpus fairly. :)

I do my absolute best not to be a fanboy because I've used both Nvidia and AMD extensively and I really dig them both. They've each got their own strengths and weaknesses, and I wish more people could see it that way, because each company makes AMAZING GPU's.

But I don't think the rest of Auto-GAF wants to hear us blabbering away bout that in this thread, LOL. Sorry guys. :eek:

Zyzyxxz

I do my absolute best not to be a fanboy because I've used both Nvidia and AMD extensively and I really dig them both. They've each got their own strengths and weaknesses, and I wish more people could see it that way, because each company makes AMAZING GPU's.

But I don't think the rest of Auto-GAF wants to hear us blabbering away bout that in this thread, LOL. Sorry guys. :eek:

Hurry up and kiss already, tongue not optional.

In auto news it appears the VW Bluesport is most likely dead or will be canned.

bluesportonhold.jpg

So for now that means the Audi R4 won't be coming anytime soon which is a shame, would have loved to see a serious R8 baby from Audi but then again with the TT I don't see how it would have worked anyway unless it was a roadster only like a S2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom