• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Earthquake doesn't have anything to do with the increase. This has been going on since 6 months after the release of the car over 3 years ago.

Having said that, the Toyota GT86 put down 170WHP on HKS' dyno.

*snicker*

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The earthquake doesn't explain that the car has jumped nearly $30k in MSRP since it debuted in 2006.

ouchx100

Low power or not I think that the BRZ, FRS, and the GT86 will be super fun to drive. I'm personally hoping for a miata like drive and as miata's continue to prove out on autox courses, you don't need V8 power to be quick. The Lotus idea for cars, make lighter and simplify :)

Although a track would be different, and I'd like to see an STi tuned BRZ for that.

cajunator

Banned
Your comment pretty much sounds like 'Ford is better than the Japanese automakers', which is just silly in so many ways.
How is that any sillier than "Japanese automakers are better than Ford"?

Its opinion. I would confidently put my Ford Fusion up against anything Japanese in the segment in its class. Same with other Ford products. They make great cars and trucks.

Its opinion. I would confidently put my Ford Fusion up against anything Japanese in the segment in its class. Same with other Ford products. They make great cars and trucks.

I've driven a Ford Fusion. The seats suck. And it's just as boring to drive as any other Japanese/American econobox car...

reilo

That's because the Ford Fusion is a Mazda6 :p

cajunator

Banned
I've driven a Ford Fusion. The seats suck. And it's just as boring to drive as any other Japanese/American econobox car...

I disagree.
I've had fun driving it. I have the V6 model. It handles well and it has some pep.
Again, this is subjective.
I just find it funny that its ok to talk trash about american cars with no repercussion but GOD FORBID someone likes american cars better. Such a horrible thing. The fucking nerve.

cajunator

Banned
It's basically a Mazda6 with softer suspension. C'mon now.

It doesnt matter what its based on.
Im talking about american cars in general.
I used my Fusion as an example.
American cars are equally as good as cars from Japanese companies.
This wasn't always the case, but it is now.

That's because the Ford Fusion is a Mazda6 :p

LOL

I disagree.
I've had fun driving it. I have the V6 model. It handles well and it has some pep.
Again, this is subjective.
I just find it funny that its ok to talk trash about american cars with no repercussion but GOD FORBID someone likes american cars better. Such a horrible thing. The fucking nerve.

Ford Fusion handles like shit, sorry. I think you should try driving a car with real handling so you can realize how goofy that statement is.

It just sounds dumb when you're talking about econoboxes. The current Japanese and American econoboxes are similar in quality and snoozefactor. Whether you buy a Fiesta or a Fit, you're getting a great, really boring econocar.

cajunator

Banned
The Fusion is an economy family sedan. It isn't a sports car.
For a family sedan, yes it handles well.
You can argue this shit all you want but I'm not backing down on this.

Ha. I thought you were going to come in here bragging about how good the new Focus is, in which case you would have had a good point. But if you're trying to put the fusion up against cars like the Fit or Golf, you're in fantasy land. The fusion is fine but your comments just make it clear that you haven't driven very many(if any) cars in that class.

ameratsu

Does anyone here know much about the 2005-2006 Corolla XRS? There's a pretty pristine one for sale near me.

It uses the same engine as the later Celica GTS, though with a different (more conservative?) tune. From what I can gather, I/E yields decent gains considering it's a NA 4 cylinder, but beyond that, EMS sounds expensive, and would be required to adjust the onset of "lift" among other things. Am I missing anything? Maybe I am spoiled owning a 4g63 turbo powered car, but I would like to see an established mod path for the 2zz-ge if possible. I wouldn't be adding a supercharger.

Does anyone here know much about the 2005-2006 Corolla XRS? There's a pretty pristine one for sale near me.

It uses the same engine as the later Celica GTS, though with a different (more conservative?) tune. From what I can gather, I/E yields decent gains considering it's a NA 4 cylinder, but beyond that, EMS sounds expensive, and would be required to adjust the onset of "lift" among other things. Am I missing anything? Maybe I am spoiled owning a 4g63 turbo powered car, but I would like to see an established mod path for the 2zz-ge if possible. I wouldn't be adding a supercharger.

Modding for it isn't nearly as great as the K20 in the RSX-S/Civic Si, unfortunately.

As a daily driver they're great cars though. They get amazing gas mileage and are very fun to drive.

cajunator

Banned
Ha. I thought you were going to come in here bragging about how good the new Focus is, in which case you would have had a good point. But if you're trying to put the fusion up against cars like the Fit or Golf, you're in fantasy land. The fusion is fine but your comments just make it clear that you haven't driven very many(if any) cars in that class.

Ive driven an Accord, Altima, Camry, Subaru, and Malibu. They are all pretty similar. The Fusion handles equally as well and in some cases better. The previous generation Accord was actually a more fun car. The new one is too heavy and large and the steering is numb.
Sorry, I dont agree.

Circle T

Ive driven an Accord, Altima, Camry, Subaru, and Malibu. They are all pretty similar. The Fusion handles equally as well and in some cases better. The previous generation Accord was actually a more fun car. The new one is too heavy and large and the steering is numb.
Sorry, I dont agree.

I'm with you man. One of my friends used to drive a Fusion Sport, and that thing was a really nice car. Nothing wrong with picking a car, and enjoying it.

Zyzyxxz

So my pops is wanting to get rid of his Mercedes ML320, that hunk of shit should have never been bought but he never listens and wanted the "pride" of owning a Mercedes.

He's now thinking of getting a fuel efficient car to replace it but not spend too much money.

So I'm thinking of trading it in toward either a Prius or a Honda Fit from 2008-2010 so I can't decide if the price difference is worth the fuel efficiency.

I do like the styling of the Fit more though, wouldn't mind slapping on some wheels on it too.

Ovid

I've never seen this car on the road.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hahahaha.

Cars and sports these days are the only things I give a shit about. So they're usually the only threads I have open and refresh often. :D

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting this, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who are more knowledgeable about car repair then I am.

I have a 96 Mazda 626 that I haven't driven much lately (since May 2011). I was good about firing it up and driving it around a little bit every week or so, but slowly but surely I stopped for about a 7-8 week period.

When I started it up a few days ago a VERY loud squealing noise happened. I mean my car has squealed on start up before in the past, but this time it was much louder. So obviously first thing that comes to mind is my Serpentine Belt.

I turn the car off after about 10 seconds and fire it back up after letting it sit for a couple of minutes. This time after about 10 seconds I notice some lighter color smoke coming from the engine.

I turn the car off and hop out to see that it was coming from around the Serpentine Belt and the Compressor. It didn't look like it was coming out of the compressor, but in between the belt and the compressor. After that happened, I haven't started it back up.

I fear that perhaps my Compressor is locked up from not starting up the car since before Thanksgiving?

Then again someone said it could be the belt itself since it's been sitting outside in the Texas sun without being driven much for a better part of 6 months. (The last time I replaced the Serpentine Belt was November 2006).

The repair shop nearby said it could be the compressor and that's a 4 hour job + parts and I'm looking at around $800. Which, for a 1996 with 140K miles and original transmission just doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

Also, when I was turning the car over (especially the 2nd time) it would chug a couple of times before it started up to the squealing, which it doesn't normally do. The 1st time I fired it up I think it turned over normally. I also, noticed the battery light came on during 2nd start up.

So, what do you think is the problem? Is the belt just slipping or do you think it's something else that the Belt powers? Should I try and get some help changing out the belt and see if that does the trick or just get the thing towed to a shop for them to diagnose more accurately?

Viperbah

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting this, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who are more knowledgeable about car repair then I am.

I have a 96 Mazda 626 that I haven't driven much lately (since May 2011). I was good about firing it up and driving it around a little bit every week or so, but slowly but surely I stopped for about a 7-8 week period.

When I started it up a few days ago a VERY loud squealing noise happened. I mean my car has squealed on start up before in the past, but this time it was much louder. So obviously first thing that comes to mind is my Serpentine Belt.

I turn the car off after about 10 seconds and fire it back up after letting it sit for a couple of minutes. This time after about 10 seconds I notice some lighter color smoke coming from the engine.

I turn the car off and hop out to see that it was coming from around the Serpentine Belt and the Compressor. It didn't look like it was coming out of the compressor, but in between the belt and the compressor. After that happened, I haven't started it back up.

I fear that perhaps my Compressor is locked up from not starting up the car since before Thanksgiving?

Then again someone said it could be the belt itself since it's been sitting outside in the Texas sun without being driven much for a better part of 6 months. (The last time I replaced the Serpentine Belt was November 2006).

The repair shop nearby said it could be the compressor and that's a 4 hour job + parts and I'm looking at around $800. Which, for a 1996 with 140K miles and original transmission just doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

Also, when I was turning the car over (especially the 2nd time) it would chug a couple of times before it started up to the squealing, which it doesn't normally do. The 1st time I fired it up I think it turned over normally. I also, noticed the battery light came on during 2nd start up.

So, what do you think is the problem? Is the belt just slipping or do you think it's something else that the Belt powers? Should I try and get some help changing out the belt and see if that does the trick or just get the thing towed to a shop for them to diagnose more accurately?

I know nothing about a 96 Mazda 626 so bear with me....is this a singular belt that powers a couple different things?

It sounds like, 1. The belt needs to be replaced and 2. the white smoke is most likely power steering fluid that leaked out....this would make sense if this belt powered the power steering pump.

All pretty simple repairs in most cases(im sure you could google and do it yourself)

reilo

So my car got broken into last night... $285 to replace the driver's side rear window... :-\

reilo

Wtf? That's fucked up.

Where do you live again?

Portland. I live in a "safe" suburb, too. Hell, I've lived in areas of Portland for the past 7.5 years prior that were deemed "unsafe", and never ever had I had anything done to me or my car. But yet somehow in the super-white upper-middle class area...

I hated paying $75/mo for underground parking in my last place, but now I realize why I did.

MisterNoisy

Portland. I live in a "safe" suburb, too. Hell, I've lived in areas of Portland for the past 7.5 years prior that were deemed "unsafe", and never ever had I had anything done to me or my car. But yet somehow in the super-white upper-middle class area...

I hated paying $75/mo for underground parking in my last place, but now I realize why I did.

Suburban kids... Gotta love 'em.

Circle T

Yay or Nay for diesel in the M line?? They aren't replacing any gas performance engines, so that isn't too bad. At what point, though, do these stop being M brand cars? Should they maybe have come up with a new line of performance diesel? Discuss.

AutoBlog said:
BMW M goes diesel, introduces M550d, X5 M50d, X6 M50d

Rumors of BMW M launching a diesel model have been circulating for over a year, and confirmation has finally arrived in the form of not one, not two, but four M-fettled oil-burners, each sporting all-wheel drive and the oft-rumored tri-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six. And before you get excited, none of them are slated for sale in the U.S. – this is a Euro-only affair.

So with that unfortunate fact out of the way, let's get to the details.

The new M models come in the form of the M550d xDrive sedan, M550d xDrive touring, X5 M50d and X6 M50d. Each makes use of a 3.0-liter inline-six common-rail diesel with the aforementioned trio of turbos specifically developed for the M Performance range. Output is rated at 376 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 545 pound-feet of torque available from 2,000 to 3,000 revs. If you're keeping track at home, that's a bump of 80 hp and 103 lb-ft over the 535d and 74 hp and 103 lb-ft more than the 3.0-liter mill fitted to the diesel X5 and X6.

Each model comes equipped with an eight-speed automatic gearbox and standard xDrive AWD, allowing the M550d sedan to hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds – just four tenths of a second off the all-new M5's 0-60 run. You read that right. The M550d Touring hits 60 in 4.9 seconds, with the X5 M50d and X6 M50d passing the mark in 5.4 and 5.3 seconds, respectively. All models are limited to 155 mph and fuel consumption ranges between 6.4 liters/100km and 7.7 liters/100km.

Interestingly, the M-ified diesel 5ers ditch the standard electromechanical steering for a hydraulic system that's derived from the M5, and both the X5 and X6 variants uses systems similar to those on the X5 M and X6 M.

And if you're wondering why we won't see these M diesels here in the States, blame the necessity to reengineer the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) systems to make them comply with emissions standards across the country. We'll be seeing all four live from the Geneva Motor Show in March, but you can get the first batch of details in the press release after the break.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/25/bmw-m-goes-diesel-introduces-m550d-x5-m50d-x6-m50d/

2wzZV.jpg

7aZys.jpg

LGSDN.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Yay or Nay for diesel in the M line?? They aren't replacing any gas performance engines, so that isn't too bad. At what point, though, do these stop being M brand cars? Should they maybe have come up with a new line of performance diesel? Discuss.

Seriously is calling it an M-car really going to sell more? By Chinese logic yes since a lot of dumb rich Chinese buyers will likely go for this top of the line model which is easily identifiable by the moniker of "M" in order to show off and have more face.

BMW believes in many models while selling less of each but offsetting costs by sharing platforms. Maybe it will work for them but I am sad about the mass proliferation of the "M" badge.

cube444

Wow at those numbers for the M550d and you're still getting 6.3L/100 km. This car could easily be tuned to get over 400 horses and 600 ft/lb of torque. I am assuming this will only be offered as an automatic.

0-60 in 4.6 seconds is crazy for a diesel. Serious torque.

ascii42

Mmm, torque.

I'd probably stick with the 535d, though. You know, if I were in the market...

So has BMW completely abandoned any meaning to the last two digits in their naming scheme?

cube444

I also wonder how exactly those tri-turbos will work. I'm assuming a smaller one with two bigger ones.

Would be interesting to get info on how they work.

bmw-m550d-252.jpg

Circle T

Mmm, torque.

I'd probably stick with the 535d, though. You know, if I were in the market...

So has BMW completely abandoned any meaning to the last two digits in their naming scheme?

It would appear so. They've been getting worse and worse with it over the years, with no return in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom