• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder how exactly those tri-turbos will work. I'm assuming a smaller one with two bigger ones.

Would be interesting to get info on how they work.
I would assume it's low, mid, high range. If they pull it off reliably then my mind will be truly blown.

Other than the m3, m5, x3 and Z4 I can't tell BMW's apart.

ascii42

Mercedes and BMW model nomenclature is like Greek to me.

But I don't make an effort, I've never been into luxury cars.
Up until recently, it was pretty straightforward. For BMW, the last two digits represent the engine size, so a 325i would be a 3 series (compact) with a 2.5L engine. The "i" stands for fuel injection, "d" stands for diesel. For Mercedes, all three numbers stood for engine size. A C300 would have a 3.00L engine.

But now, bigger numbers just mean more powerful. It's like they recognize that most people don't understand the nomenclature anyway and just buy the one with the bigger number.

The main reasons for this happening are the downsizing of engines and the increase in turbocharging engines. If you downsize an engine, even if it's more powerful than its predecessor, it would look worse because the number would be smaller. The trouble with turbocharging is how to represent it. The BMW 328i has a 3L naturally aspirated engine. The BMW 335i has the same engine, but turbocharged. I'd put a "t" on the end, personally.

Circle T

Up until recently, it was pretty straightforward. For BMW, the last two digits represent the engine size, so a 325i would be a 3 series (compact) with a 2.5L engine. The "i" stands for fuel injection, "d" stands for diesel. For Mercedes, all three numbers stood for engine size. A C300 would have a 3.00L engine.

But now, bigger numbers just mean more powerful. It's like they recognize that most people don't understand the nomenclature anyway and just buy the one with the bigger number.

The main reasons for this happening are the downsizing of engines and the increase in turbocharging engines. If you downsize an engine, even if it's more powerful than its predecessor, it would look worse because the number would be smaller. The trouble with turbocharging is how to represent it. The BMW 328i has a 3L naturally aspirated engine. The BMW 335i has the same engine, but turbocharged. I'd put a "t" on the end, personally.

It started a while back, really. The older 740s and 540s back in the 90s had 4.4L V8s, and the 750 had a 5.4L V12. Hell, back in the early 80s, the 745 had a 3.4L V8. And let's not forget Mercedes with all of their "63" AMG cars, which are actually 6.2L.

It would be nice if they stuck to a name/engine relation naming, but like you said, with turbos and superchargers, along with diesels, there really is no good way to do it these days.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sooo, I know you can't compare currencies from different countries, but 1) it's odd that Toyota used USD in their press release. And 2) The Yen and USD are fairly close in conversion.

It really does look like the base car will start in the mid-20s. What's absolutely striking is if the GT Limited car will really sticker in the mid-30s. If that ends up being the case in the US, this is the rip-off of the century.

Just the Facts:

Toyota announced in Japan that prices for the new 86 sports car will range from $25,600 for a bare-bones "customizable" model to $38,200 for the top-of-the-line GT Limited trim level.
The Toyota 86 will be offered in Japan in four trim levels — Customize Grade, G, GT and GT Limited — according to the Web site gtchannel.com.
The starter Customize Grade comes without air-conditioning and gets unpainted bumpers.

TOKYO — Toyota announced Tuesday in Japan that prices for the new 86 sports car will range from $25,600 for a bare-bones "customizable" model to $38,200 for the top-of-the-line GT Limited edition.

The Toyota 86 will be offered in Japan in four trim levels — Customize Grade, G, GT and GT Limited — according to the Web site gtchannel.com.

The starter Customize Grade comes without air-conditioning and gets unpainted bumpers for "racing and customizing purposes," according to the Web site. The standard G grade is priced from $31,000 and the step-up GT grade is $35,900.

Among the extra-cost options are a six-speed automatic transmission, limited-slip differential, aluminum pedals and three-spoke steering wheel.

Production for the Japanese domestic market starts March 12, and dealers have started taking orders.

The 86 goes on sale in the U.S. this spring rebadged as the 2013 Scion FR-S. Prices haven't been announced, but Toyota has said the U.S. car will start "under $30,000."

AlphaSnake

Hmmm, I see that the 370Z runs over $50K when converted to USD. But obviously, it retails for $29,900 as a base model here. I'm really curious as to what Toyota's pricing model will be for the US. They have to be extremely aggressive.

Hmmm, I see that the 370Z runs over $50K when converted to USD. But obviously, it retails for $29,900 as a base model here. I'm really curious as to what Toyota's pricing model will be for the US. They have to be extremely aggressive.

I really think the GT86 could be a 370z killer...

If it didn't have 110 whp less LOL.

TylerD

It really does look like the base car will start in the mid-20s. What's absolutely striking is if the GT Limited car will really sticker in the mid-30s. If that ends up being the case in the US, this is the rip-off of the century.
I totally agree since I am hoping that a loaded example will be around 26500.

Really, we can't compare Japanese prices to US prices at all right now. There is no way they would sell here for those prices.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Reputation is everything, according to a new survey by J.D. Power and Associates. The 2012 Avoider Study found that 43 percent of buyers who steer clear of a particular model due to quality concerns do so merely because of common knowledge. Ratings and reviews – our stock in trade – were cited by 38 percent, while previous ownership of a model caused scorn in only 14 percent of respondents.

"The fact that so many new-vehicle buyers may be basing their opinions about quality and reliability on pre-conceived [sic] notions, rather than concrete information or data, demonstrates how important it is for automakers to promote the quality and reliability of their models," said Jon Osborn, research director at J.D. Power and Associates, in what reads like a nakedly self-serving press release.

Shocker.

I really think the GT86 could be a 370z killer...

If it didn't have 110 whp less LOL.

I'm still going to get one. I have a 370z, and my lease is ending. Right around the time the FR-S is released.

I am also looking into a G37, I just can't get into that cars looks. Its kinda why I passed on it and got a 370. The ass is too fat, its so high off the ground.

My uncle works for Toyota, and promised me first look at the FR-S as soon as it comes in. I really hate giving up all that HP, but I think it looks sexy as hell, and the promise of an amazing driving experience and dat low center of gravity makes it appealing.

Every video I have seen from what I think are non biased test driver of the FR-S come out of the car with their mouth agape. Its all over you tube.

I don't know I have 5 months to figure out what I want to do.

cube444

My brother is looking for a tune. Does anyone know anything about "Evolve", "Renntech" or a company called "Superlative Autosport" which are the ones he's looking at?

AcridMeat

Banned
So confused, I saw 5 (five) Porsche Panameras on the 15 minute drive home, 3 within 30 seconds of each other, all black. I thought it was illegal for blind people to drive?

I did see a yellow baby Aston Martin, didn't expect to ever see that!

Oh and I also saw what I initially thought was an Aston One-77 but it had a split down the grill and a badge I had never seen before. It was coming the other way so I didn't get a chance to read what it said on the back.

Fisker?

fisker-karma-4.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
According to Jalopnik, the ad is for Honda, and it will rehash all the best scenes in the original film. It's a big enough deal that Honda has drafted Todd Phillips, he of The Hangover fame, to direct (John Hughes, director of FBDO, passed away in 2009). Of course, this means the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider will not be appearing, replaced, according to the report, by a 2012 Honda CR-V.

smh smh smh

AlphaSnake

It would've been an absolutely ideal way to reveal a new sports car, actually. Not to advertise a fuckin CR-V...ugh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is something you DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT touch. It's off limits unless your Ferrari as far as I'm concerned.

TylerD

It's awesome. Feel free to PM me or post here with questions. I custom ordered my MINI Coupe and have owned it since it launched in the US in early October. There are only like 1000 in the US right now.

I love it to death. :)

I have a English coworker that traded in his MINI Cooper for a MINI coupe in BRG with a black top. Took him about a day to get his Union Jack front plate on it. It is a very handsome car.

TylerD

So the estimated UK price is £25k? That's still a TON more expensive than the top of the range Clio 200... Though it isn't far off a 2.0l MX-5 which is probably a fairer comparison.

I do wish they'd release the pricing if it's hitting British shores in June.

Should be announced at the Chicago auto show Feb 8th or 9th.

Should be announced at the Chicago auto show Feb 8th or 9th.

Can't wait, should be able to blag a test drive/feign interest as long as it's a reasonable price. Realistically, I wouldn't purchase one because I'm too interested in performance and handling per £, and new cars simply can't keep up in that ratio.

TylerD

So, BoobPhysics and I were having a conversation via PM and the topic of why I had to get rid of my 944 Turbo came up so I decided to give him that story including the full story of my adventure to pick up the car.

I hope that it can start a trend of all of us sharing some stories dealing with our love of all things automotive and help to build a stronger relationship with automotive-GAF.

Here is my story...

I couldn't rely on it as my DD once I got out of college and got a real job. My parents pretty much forced me to sell it but I was prepared to keep it even though it made no sense cause I loved the damn thing so much. I was living in an apartment complex and had next to no tools or no good way to work on it. Taking it to a specialty mechanic and paying a fortune would have been my only option and I wasn't going to have the money to fix it thanks to loans and other expenses. My parents said they would not help me with anything financially if I kept it. So I sold it and they co-signed on the loan for my Accord since my interest rate would have been terrible.

We found it on Ebay in 2001 about 8 months after my first car (Guards Red 88' 944 n/a) caught on fire while I was driving it. That one we found in South Carolina on a trip to visit my grandma and I rode back with my dad driving to Oklahoma when I was 15 years old. I learned to drive stick on that one.

My dad called the seller on Ebay the first day it was on the site and said that we are serious about the car and they went ahead and negotiated a price then the seller Fedex'd all the documentation and service records to us overnight including a recent inspection at a Porsche mechanic. My dad called the guy that worked on my n/a and he actually knew the mechanic that did the inspection on the Turbo.

Once everything checked out we agreed to buy it and we determined a day for me to fly out to Knoxville, TN to pick it up. So my dad drove me to the airport on a Saturday morning and I flew to Knoxville where the owner met me and we rode to his house in his 930 slant nose Turbo. What a car...

We drove on his private drive to his massive house (he owned a huge ATV dealership) and I see this absolutely beautiful Alpine White 944 Turbo sitting in the circle drive. He told me about how he bought it from his sister in Indiana about 10 years prior and told me of all the drives he went on and the good times he had with it and said that he hoped that I have just as much fun.

I ended up staying the night at his house and having a home cooked prime aged steak that his gorgeous blonde wife cooked up while we were going over the 944 and I went on my first drive with him riding shotgun. It was pretty much love at first shift. So, when I wake up the next morning and finish breakfast he hands me a Tennessee map that has a route highlighted for me to take through Tennessee then getting back to Arkansas and I40 for the trip home.

So, the road was amazing as was pretty much everything else about the whole experience. Ended up sleeping at a motel in West Memphis. I think the map is still at my parent's house somewhere. That was my first taste of driving a car with boost. That thing was pretty much flawless and seemed to be a complete steal at $8600. When I got back to Oklahoma there was a little over 68000 miles on the car and I walked in and gave a big hug to my dad and told him about my adventure. He knew exactly what he was doing and made sure that I would remember that trip forever. He told me about a year later that he had talked to the guy and planned pretty much everything that happened on my trip including the map route, steak dinner, picking me up in the 930 once he learned about it, etc...

Did not have one single problem with the car for 2 years and kept up the best I could with maintenance then it developed an intermittent issue where the car would go into limp mode and limit boost to 1.2 (down from 1.8) bar that took forever to figure out and from then on it was kind of a roller coaster ride with little things going wrong but oh so worth it. Made so many awesome memories in that car from leaving for college, road trips with friends, to driving every other weekend to Dallas to visit my girlfriend when we were out of school during the summer and just slowly cruising around campus with that wonderful exhaust burble. Turbo cars on a chilly evening are pretty special too.

We sold it June, 2008 for $7000 @ 121000 miles with an additional $6800 in shop receipts and the only mod that I had installed (Borla catback system). :D

I was not involved in the selling of the car and was not happy when my dad told me the guy they sold it to planned to turn it into a track car.

gJKxel.jpg

UbLeN.jpg

cOt9M.jpg

robox

Top Gear just posted their GT86 review and they gave it an incredible 19/20:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/toyota/gt-86/road-test/driven

Tada-san told me there were three key elements to the car for him, things he (together with his opposite number at Subaru, Toshio Masuda) had to fight for tooth and nail. One was to steer clear of turbocharging, the second was that it should be rear-wheel drive and the final one was to use narrow tyres. I love that. And it's not just that the 215/45 R17's aren't oversized, it's that they're not a sports tyre either. They're Michelin Primacys for heaven's sake - as fitted to the Prius.
wait, wat? i havne't been reading reviews of the thing, that goes against everything i know about sportscar tuning.

So they flex a bit, squeal a lot and aren't too grippy. Tada-san is emphatic that lap times don't matter here, what matters is if the driver gets out with a smile on his face. I am in complete agreement. Yes, it's nice to boast to your mates that your car beats theirs around the ‘Ring, but wouldn't you rather drive a road car that's actually been set-up to drive properly on the road, not the track? I would.
oic... keeping the mentality that makes the difference between drifting and racing.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Similar reason why I keep my slower 250cc ninja around. It handles like a dream. Having fun in a car is not all about speed.

No plans to get a GT86, but damn excited to test drive one.

wait, wat? i havne't been reading reviews of the thing, that goes against everything i know about sportscar tuning.

oic... keeping the mentality that makes the difference between drifting and racing.

Slapping coin tyres on it seems a bit of a cop out from an engineering perspective. Average longitudinal and lateral speed :p I'd be hoping to keep the car on the edge and not over (oppo lock) it on the road.

AlphaSnake

Top Gear mag and show loved the RX8. They also liked the various Z4s BMW has thrown around at us over the past 10 years, meanwhile the only one worth liking was the Z4 M.

They have no say on what makes a sports car proper. Not that I do or anything...I'm just saying.

I've noticed lots of errors and inconsistencies with their reviews.

Lotus Elise

Cool 15/20 - "It's cool, but not as cool as an Exige."

Lotus Exige

Cool 14/20 - What ?

Ferrari 458 Italia

Performance 10/20 - WTF

Love the show, but I wouldn't take that website's reviews as gospel. It seems sloppy.

Some of the ratings in sub-categories are messed up for some reason, but the final grade reflects their opinnion on the car.

ascii42

I've noticed lots of errors and inconsistencies with their reviews.

Lotus Elise

Cool 15/20 - "It's cool, but not as cool as an Exige."

Lotus Exige

Cool 14/20 - What ?

Ferrari 458 Italia

Performance 10/20 - WTF

Love the show, but I wouldn't take that website's reviews as gospel. It seems sloppy.
Yeah. Similarly, the regular Corvette gets 8/20 for practicality, but the ZR1 gets 15/20?

AcridMeat

Banned
That was a great story Tyler, what a thing for your dad to set up and for the guy to go along with it. My dad would (still sort of does) go through cars quite often, anywhere from 6 months to a few years he'd sell whatever we had and get something else. In some cases it was a couple weeks. As a result we've had a lot of very awesome cars, a 60s Mercedes, 5 or 6 Alfas (same Milano twice and a GTV6), a 74 Ford Capri (2300gt) that was imported to the states by the couple he bought it from. They actually imported one for each of them.

Some of my earliest childhood memories, around age 3-5 is of his Alfa Romeo Berlina, believe a 69' with yellow fog lamps. He loved that car but it broke down so damn often. We still have a valve from it that looks similar to this.
AHxrRl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom