• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

h1nch

And where were you guys last time I said this and got assaulted by everyone else?

350Z Defense Force Assemble!

I must have missed it. My beef with the 370z is purely in the visual department. The changes they made to the headlights and tail lights over the 350z are awful. Someone was obviously a fan of the Nike swoosh and the result is something awful and cheesy.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I had a 350Z. I have a 370Z now.

The 370Z looks better. This pic below is what convinced me to get one:

IMG_1853.jpg

Seeing the headlights painted black like that made me realize, it's not the shape of the lights that's bad...it's all the chrome and the ugly amber! So I went ahead made sure that was one of the first mods to my car:

225064_10150178314898644_676108643_7049804_5771600_n.jpg

LOL @ 350z aesthetics defense force. 350z looks like shit especially compared to the 370z. That front end is such garbage. Altima headlights = fail.

Only speed gaf decided that. Control gaf knows fun when they see it.

Nah. I prefer speed and control. The 370z has both. E46 M3 has both. S2000 has both.

GT86 is like a Miata, all control and low speed. It's nice to have a sweet handling car but being fast AND having control inspires so much more joy. That's why I'm hoping to build another track-ready S2000 this year with a bit less control but an extra 150-200 whp thanks to a supercharger. Better handling than a GT86 and with 350-400 whp. For under 20k.

GT86 will be an amazing car once it drops to 15kish and people like me can add power and better suspension to it. No way I'd buy a new 25k car and not be able to build it the way I want.

I think it's a great option for people who want something that's fun to drive and has great handling dynamics vs stuff like the WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, and Civic Si. That lack of power is a huge downside though for an enthusiast. :/

S2k's are ridiculously cheap nowadays. So tempting to get one as my next car.

Do it. If you're in SoCal, I can even go with you and help you find the right one and to mod it correctly once you get one. It can be hard to find a clean one depending on your budget, and most people have no idea what they're doing when they do mod one, but it's so worth it.

Zyzyxxz

Do it. If you're in SoCal, I can even go with you and help you find the right one and to mod it correctly once you get one. It can be hard to find a clean one depending on your budget, and most people have no idea what they're doing when they do mod one, but it's so worth it.

If I ever start making decent money I definitely could use some help, I'm not really big on hands on work just want to drive a car myself. I'll probably fit into the Asian SoCal stereotype of owning a modded S2K but I don't care.

It's just that it would have to be a second car as I need something practical. I've started to see prices for them dip under 10K and I assume the reliability to be good since it's a Honda.

Circle T

LOL @ 350z aesthetics defense force. 350z looks like shit especially compared to the 370z. That front end is such garbage. Altima headlights = fail.

Nah. I prefer speed and control. The 370z has both. E46 M3 has both. S2000 has both.

GT86 is like a Miata, all control and low speed. It's nice to have a sweet handling car but being fast AND having control inspires so much more joy. That's why I'm hoping to build another track-ready S2000 this year with a bit less control but an extra 150-200 whp thanks to a supercharger. Better handling than a GT86 and with 350-400 whp. For under 20k.

GT86 will be an amazing car once it drops to 15kish and people like me can add power and better suspension to it. No way I'd buy a new 25k car and not be able to build it the way I want.

I think it's a great option for people who want something that's fun to drive and has great handling dynamics vs stuff like the WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, and Civic Si. That lack of power is a huge downside though for an enthusiast. :/

Not every enthusiast needs a crap-load of power though. I owned a basically stock S14 for quite a while back in college, and it was a blast. The thing only had ~160hp from the wheezy KA24, but at only ~2800lbs, it got around great. Don't get me wrong, there is always a place for cars with lots of power. I've owned a couple tuned DSMs as well, and having 400+hp is certainly exciting. But while I still consider myself an enthusiast, tons of power isn't my top priority any more. The BRZ being small, light and (IMO) really good looking, is pretty high on my list of cars to check out later this year.

So yea, you can add me to the "Pro BRZ" camp.

If I ever start making decent money I definitely could use some help, I'm not really big on hands on work just want to drive a car myself. I'll probably fit into the Asian SoCal stereotype of owning a modded S2K but I don't care.

It's just that it would have to be a second car as I need something practical. I've started to see prices for them dip under 10K and I assume the reliability to be good since it's a Honda.

Too bad I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the korean bbq last night. S2k reliability is insanely high, the engine is the strongest Honda has ever built. My cousin's s2k was in mint condition, had 108k miles, and only cost $9k so there are definitely nice ones out there, even with higher mileage. Mine had 38k miles and I bought it for 13.8k in 2010.

Zyzyxxz

Too bad I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the korean bbq last night. S2k reliability is insanely high, the engine is the strongest Honda has ever built. My cousin's s2k was in mint condition, had 108k miles, and only cost 9k miles so there are definitely nice ones out there, even with higher mileage. Mine had 38k miles and I bought it for 13.8k in 2010.

Is it better to go for AP1 or AP2? I assume having more torque is nice with a supercharger but modding it to rev past 9K sounds fun too.

TylerD

I am looking at S2000s too since adding one to my insurance in addition to my Accord would be super cheap and I didn't realize they are so affordable now. I only remember great things about driving a friends AP1 several years back.

Oklahoma is not a good place to find these and this is the closest one to me right now but the appeal of having a "fun car" to modify and a DD for bad weather and utility is pretty tempting.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2822444531.html

Is it better to go for AP1 or AP2? I assume having more torque is nice with a supercharger but modding it to rev past 9K sounds fun too.

I prefer AP1. They are cheaper, more fun to drive, and easier to boost overall. However, AP2 and AP2.5 (06+) are nice as well due to the better styling, better cupholder/center console, and the extra bit of torque and tighter gearing in 1st through 4th gears. But AP1 is what you're getting for $12k or less.

Also, modding to rev past 9k is extremely expensive and ultimately pointless for the average person. AP2's with FlashPro or EMS can safely rev to 8600 RPM btw.

I am looking at S2000s too since adding one to my insurance in addition to my Accord would be super cheap and I didn't realize they are so affordable now. I only remember great things about driving a friends AP1 several years back.

Oklahoma is not a good place to find these and this is the closest one to me right now but the appeal of having a "fun car" to modify and a DD for bad weather and utility is pretty tempting.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2822444531.html

The mod list is really good BUT it's a rebuilt title. That means if it was stolen, it was stripped and had to be pieced back together. Or it was crashed and smashed and they had to put it back together. Either way, do not want. The car may not drive the same way it should've if the frame or suspension are fucked up due to the theft.

I recommend a clean title car, even if you have to drive far to get it. Rebuilt/salvage is never desirable.

Yeah, definitely not that one. Just an example of the incredible S2000 variety in central OK.

/sarcasm

The mod list is great though. Koni yellow + ground control is awesome. But that title kills it. If you're willing to travel, you'll find something much better. If you want to fly out to SoCal, I can help you find one and then you can drive it home. :)

AlphaSnake

when does the 370z face lift get revealed?

I personally doubt there will be one. Maybe an ever so slightly different front bumper, a little extra power courtesy of tune, but headlights and tails will remain the same.

Zyzyxxz

Also, modding to rev past 9k is extremely expensive and ultimately pointless for the average person. AP2's with FlashPro or EMS can safely rev to 8600 RPM btw.

Yeah that's true but one of those if I could do it I could brag about it type of thing. In reality I most likely wouldn't and I am not looking for crazy power either.

Yeah that's true but one of those if I could do it I could brag about it type of thing. In reality I most likely wouldn't and I am not looking for crazy power either.

Its been done before so its not really a brag-worthy thing nor is it worth the money/time/effort required to build the engine to withstand past 9k RPM. Naturally aspirated = extremely expensive on the s2k engines. For what it costs to add 40-60 whp NA, you can add 120-200 whp turbo/supercharged.

I've been looking for S2000's for the past few months now and learned that AP1's are near impossible to find stock, unmodded, or fucking silver. There seems to be some price gap discrepancy's between AP1 and AP2 by a few grand as well, not to mention almost every single AP1 that's not modded is a salvaged title, ugh. AP2's seems to be the "safer" bet, but are the upper end of the price range.

I was actually so close into buying an AP1, but some things didn't add up to me and I had to walk away on it very last minute. Seems they all have some story.

Would love to own one, but it's going to take me a long time to find the right one.

dubc35

It seems like you know exactly what you want so be patient. I know it sucks waiting but when you finally find that one owner, unmolested S2k it will be worth it.

Zyzyxxz

I've been looking for S2000's for the past few months now and learned that AP1's are near impossible to find stock, unmodded, or fucking silver. There seems to be some price gap discrepancy's between AP1 and AP2 by a few grand as well, not to mention almost every single AP1 that's not modded is a salvaged title, ugh. AP2's seems to be the "safer" bet, but are the upper end of the price range.

I was actually so close into buying an AP1, but some things didn't add up to me and I had to walk away on it very last minute. Seems they all have some story.

Would love to own one, but it's going to take me a long time to find the right one.

Where are you located? Being in SoCal there are so many ones on the used market especially since all the Asian kids are dumping them for newer and faster cars.

Runus

Anyone have any experience with Chevy Avalanches? My parents are looking at them and I really don't know much about trucks and I have been trying to help them out. Seem to get pretty good reviews and I like the idea of them, but was curious if anyone has any real life experience with them.

Where are you located? Being in SoCal there are so many ones on the used market especially since all the Asian kids are dumping them for newer and faster cars.

I've been looking mostly in Norcal, but same rules apply when i look for them country-wide using cars.com, autotrader, Craigslist, and even auction sites.

I'm actually more scared to look at Socal cars because of how most of the young Asian kids treat their cars.

zwerg

Banned
Anyone have any experience with Chevy Avalanches? My parents are looking at them and I really don't know much about trucks and I have been trying to help them out. Seem to get pretty good reviews and I like the idea of them, but was curious if anyone has any real life experience with them.

My brother-in-law had an Avalanche. Like most Chevy/GM trucks they are very dependable and of course all the same inside and out. It was a really good vehicle but not a very good “truck”. His only issue he ever had was that the so-called bed of the truck was very small. If your parents are looking at the Avalanche for the purpose as a truck, tell them to look for an actual truck. Not the Avalanche. He also hated the fact that you had to “transform” it in to a truck to load stuff in and out. Like remove the plastic covers and rear window in most cases.

Runus

My brother-in-law had an Avalanche. Like most Chevy/GM trucks they are very dependable and of course all the same inside and out. It was a really good vehicle but not a very good “truck”. His only issue he ever had was that the so-called bed of the truck was very small. If your parents are looking at the Avalanche for the purpose as a truck, tell them to look for an actual truck. Not the Avalanche. He also hated the fact that you had to “transform” it in to a truck to load stuff in and out. Like remove the plastic covers and rear window in most cases.

Thanks. They don't really need a full fledged truck. They seemed to like the idea of it being pretty much an SUV and being able to convert it to a longer bed truck if needed. My dad would use it for hauling wood when he builds his little projects, and for light towing now and then. Nothing very serious.

Thanks for the input though!

ascii42

Thanks. They don't really need a full fledged truck. They seemed to like the idea of it being pretty much an SUV and being able to convert it to a longer bed truck if needed. My dad would use it for hauling wood when he builds his little projects, and for light towing now and then. Nothing very serious.

Thanks for the input though!
It's probably perfect for that then.

Zyzyxxz

I've been looking mostly in Norcal, but same rules apply when i look for them country-wide using cars.com, autotrader, Craigslist, and even auction sites.

I'm actually more scared to look at Socal cars because of how most of the young Asian kids treat their cars.

Yeah there is a lot of shit to browse through.

Yeah there is a lot of shit to browse through.

here's probably the cleanest and low mileage AP1 as of right now. It was on Bring A Trailer a couple weeks back, but looks like they just put it up on Craigslist.

2001 S2000 with 9,000 original miles from an 80 year old person. He's asking $19k.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/2839273181.html

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/01/23/bat-exclusive-pristine-9425-mile-2000-honda-s2000-2/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37210452@N06/sets/72157629004158951/with/6751683157/

goddamn.

here's probably the cleanest and low mileage AP1 as of right now. It was on Bring A Trailer a couple weeks back, but looks like they just put it up on Craigslist.

2001 S2000 with 9,000 original miles from an 80 year old person. He's asking $19k.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/2839273181.html

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/01/23/bat-exclusive-pristine-9425-mile-2000-honda-s2000-2/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37210452@N06/sets/72157629004158951/with/6751683157/

goddamn.

Ripoff. Typical idiot with a low mileage s2k who thinks its worth its weight in gold. I have seen ap1's with 3k miles go for $15k. For $19k you could buy an 02-03 ap1 with 30k miles and supercharge it. 00-01 are the worst years of the s2k.

Ripoff. Typical idiot with a low mileage s2k who thinks its worth its weight in gold. I have seen ap1's with 3k miles go for $15k. For $19k you could buy an 02-03 ap1 with 30k miles and supercharge it. 00-01 are the worst years of the s2k.

sounds like BMW E30 idiots as well. Show me an AP1 with 3k miles for $15k. For $15k-19k you can already have a decent mileage AP2.

Ceebs

I would just like to take a moment to say FUCK YOU to Ford for using the absolute cheapest piece of shit tumbler assembly in the early to mid 2000's Focus.

I just spent my day drilling into my ignition switch to unlock my wheel to get to be able to eject the whole ignition cylinder after the entire thing just locked up on me over the weekend. Once out I took it apart to see what was wrong and the tumbler wafers were all bent to hell just from normal key use.

Thankfully I managed to get an old cylinder from a friend who works at ford where they had drilled it from on of the outside edges instead of the face. I pulled out all the wafers in this one and slid it back into my slot without the locking bar, so it will freely turn with any key. The Focus has those encoded keys so it still will not start without my actual key so I feel just as secure with this setup versus ever having to go through that again with this car.

So for a free repair minus my time, The dealer wanted 700 dollars, and a local locksmith wanted 500. The kicker is this seems to be a widespread issue on most of the focuses up until 2005. If you own one, the day your key gives you any trouble turning, go home and fix it right away as you are possibly one insertion of your key away from a huge headache.

Viperbah

I would just like to take a moment to say FUCK YOU to Ford for using the absolute cheapest piece of shit tumbler assembly in the early to mid 2000's Focus.

I just spent my day drilling into my ignition switch to unlock my wheel to get to be able to eject the whole ignition cylinder after the entire thing just locked up on me over the weekend. Once out I took it apart to see what was wrong and the tumbler wafers were all bent to hell just from normal key use.

Thankfully I managed to get an old cylinder from a friend who works at ford where they had drilled it from on of the outside edges instead of the face. I pulled out all the wafers in this one and slid it back into my slot without the locking bar, so it will freely turn with any key. The Focus has those encoded keys so it still will not start without my actual key so I feel just as secure with this setup versus ever having to go through that again with this car.

So for a free repair minus my time, The dealer wanted 700 dollars, and a local locksmith wanted 500. The kicker is this seems to be a widespread issue on most of the focuses up until 2005. If you own one, the day your key gives you any trouble turning, go home and fix it right away as you are possibly one insertion of your key away from a huge headache.

This is nothing....try being GM faithful for 15 plus years!!

Days after owning an 04 GTO I have replaced pretty much the entire suspension

AlphaSnake

Wtf...hubcaps and unpainted bumpers? Cardboard thin seats?

I'd love to see this in the US. If anything, it'll become a massive seller for just the track enthusiasts - or the guys who get rid of OEM wheels, bumpers, and seats immediately. I would not drive that hideous thing on the road looking like that, though.

maybe it's like a track edition but done right. Like not charging more to get less, which sports car manufacturers tend to do.
That said. This might still be my next car.

Wtf...hubcaps and unpainted bumpers? Cardboard thin seats?

I'd love to see this in the US. If anything, it'll become a massive seller for just the track enthusiasts - or the guys who get rid of OEM wheels, bumpers, and seats immediately. I would not drive that hideous thing on the road looking like that, though.

It's exactly for trackers. Though article also claims this is the start of your customisation, so you can have alloys, painted bumpers and nice seats. Max diff. between bottom and top model is 40 kg, which is purely through removal of items rather than use of lightweight materials.

Very interesting strategy though as it should be popular.

All new cars should have dashboards like that.

Joking, of course, just wild to see that in a car that will actually be sold to the public.

Edit: Here's a question: Anyone know anything about early 2000 Volvos or Saabs? I'm going to be building a 944-spec racer this year and am looking for a DD that can also tow it. I'm only interested in sedans, and oddly enough that leaves only Volvo and Saab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom