• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can order a Z06 with magnetic suspension now....but your not going to feel a difference on the street. In the corvette crowd most people actually prefer the the Z06 over ZR1 on a track due to it being N/A.

And yes any RWD car with soft tires is not fun to drive daily, but none of these types of cars were meant to do so. Sure a GTR is going to be better for a daily, it comes with all season tires and is AWD.

GT-R comes with summer tires, all season is an option...even with summer tires its capable because of the advance AWD.

ascii42

You can order a Z06 with magnetic suspension now....but your not going to feel a difference on the street. In the corvette crowd most people actually prefer the the Z06 over ZR1 on a track due to it being N/A.

And yes any RWD car with soft tires is not fun to drive daily, but none of these types of cars were meant to do so. Sure a GTR is going to be better for a daily, it comes with all season tires and is AWD.

The magnetic ride would probably noticeably improve the Z06's ride quality.

Viperbah

GT-R comes with summer tires, all season is an option...even with summer tires its capable because of the advance AWD.

Oh...didn't know there was an option. Yeah other than the crazy maintenance schedule if I could only have one car, the GT-R would no question be it.

The magnetic ride would probably noticeably improve the Z06's ride quality.

Maybe, I've never rode in a newer Z to compare, just going off what I have read on the forums. I think the he biggest difference was the tire change over the years, the original tires that came on the earlier Z06's were awful.

grendelrt

I was at a Cadillac CTS-V event and there was a professional racecar driver there who was teaching us how to properly drive on the track. This guy was seriously talented as he had won with his team, the Rolex 24 Hours twice a few years ago and has raced for BMW and Porsche as well.

We talked a bit about BMW's and he said he still preferred the older E46 M3 to the newer E92. To me that is plenty validation enough that BMW has made the E92 less of a driver's car and more of a luxury sports saloon. He complained about weight, handling, and just the feel.

I usually don't put faith Auto publication rankings because I feel that emotions being part of the driving experience it is too biased sometimes to emotional swings of the moment. Also as much as I love Top Gear I don't hang onto every word they say for the same reasons.

So being as "good" as the previous gen... that is a matter of opinion. I can't say you're wrong but I personally think the M3 needs to be less luxury and just more car. I feel that they load it up with luxury features because its the most expensive model and I see plenty of people who buy it because it is the most expensive model thus think it needs to be as luxurious as the other models in the family.

Right thats one persons opinion (and his opinion is valid), but the facts still show the e92 beats the e46 in just about every area with its luxury. It also beats pretty much every car it is compared to as well, including cars made later (RS5 and C63 Coupe recently in some comparos). I think a lot of people go with that "drivers car" BS too often. A car doesnt have to loud with a harsh ride and no options to be a "drivers car". But thats just my opinion =)

Right thats one persons opinion (and his opinion is valid), but the facts still show the e92 beats the e46 in just about every area with its luxury. It also beats pretty much every car it is compared to as well, including cars made later (RS5 and C63 Coupe recently in some comparos). I think a lot of people go with that "drivers car" BS too often. A car doesnt have to loud with a harsh ride and no options to be a "drivers car". But thats just my opinion =)

Sounds like you missed the point entirely.

pax217

Something's to be said about the ability of the driver to utilize the abilities of the car as well... I've gone to school with too many kids whose parents have bought them [insert whatever you want under $120k here] and they have no clue what they're doing, other than the fact that it has the roundel or trident on the front... any car could essentially be a "Driver's Car" when driven correctly?

Sounds like you missed the point entirely.
+.5

I agree with your opinion. A lot of people do go with the whole "drivers car" BS too much.

Luxury doesn't mean the car no longer a "drivers car".

especially today when most cars now weight 3000lbs plus regardless of options, because of the whole safety regulations.

grendelrt

Something's to be said about the ability of the driver to utilize the abilities of the car as well... I've gone to school with too many kids whose parents have bought them [insert whatever you want under $120k here] and they have no clue what they're doing, other than the fact that it has the roundel or trident on the front... any car could essentially be a "Driver's Car" when driven correctly?

+.5

True a good car does have good driver input. When the GTR came out some reviewers said it was to easy to drive and made everyone a good driver, still does doesnt change the fact in capable hands its an amazing car. I also own a twin turbo 300zx that weighs around 3300lbs with around 450 HP, there is no traction control, its a beast and a lot of fun to drive. M3 is also a ton of fun to drive, different experiences but both cars can still be pushed with amazing results.

I asked a little while ago but I think it was buried at the end of a page. I'm looking for a DD/tow-car (sedan only, hate driving SUVs/trucks) and the only sedans that are rated for towing 3000lbs+ are Volvos and Saabs. I'm considering spending a little more than I'm used to for a DD and am actually looking at a 2006 Volvo S40 T5, anyone familiar with these cars and their reliability?

I can't believe I'm looking at cars based on cost, reliability, ride comfort and interior quality. If I wasn't getting it to tow a race car I'd feel like an old man.

PS - My '99 Subaru just died, kind of moves my time-table up. Funny though, I took the day off of work, decided to go out for coffee in the afternoon and that's when it died. Looks like I wasn't going to be going in to work anyway.

Smokey

HRE's new line of wheels. I came.

6837225423_674d968292_b.jpg

Dat lambo

if i ever get enough bread to do so this will be the car i buy...which means i most likely will never own one lol

I say "near" only because it's relatively sedate in terms of looks. It's an incredibly good sports-car but it doesn't look crazy enough to be a super-car.

GT-R is supercar status. Looks mean nothing. M5 is technically a supercar sedan.

I asked a little while ago but I think it was buried at the end of a page. I'm looking for a DD/tow-car (sedan only, hate driving SUVs/trucks) and the only sedans that are rated for towing 3000lbs+ are Volvos and Saabs. I'm considering spending a little more than I'm used to for a DD and am actually looking at a 2006 Volvo S40 T5, anyone familiar with these cars and their reliability?

I can't believe I'm looking at cars based on cost, reliability, ride comfort and interior quality. If I wasn't getting it to tow a race car I'd feel like an old man.

PS - My '99 Subaru just died, kind of moves my time-table up. Funny though, I took the day off of work, decided to go out for coffee in the afternoon and that's when it died. Looks like I wasn't going to be going in to work anyway.

03-08 WRX or STI? I have seen an STI pull a big rig out of the snow. Not sure if it's rated for 3000+ lbs of tow, though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I say "near" only because it's relatively sedate in terms of looks. It's an incredibly good sports-car but it doesn't look crazy enough to be a super-car.

its not an exotic, but performance is usually what groups cars like the GT-R in the super car category. Its no Pagani Zonda (exotic) or Buggati (Hypercar). But far more than just a regular sports car thats like the 370Z territory, GTR is definitely Nissans Halo car.

GT-R is supercar status. Looks mean nothing. M5 is technically a supercar sedan.

It's completely up in the air, but I can't put an M5 or GT-R into the category that arose to describe the Lamborghini Miura.

03-08 WRX or STI? I have seen an STI pull a big rig out of the snow. Not sure if it's rated for 3000+ lbs of tow, though.

Yeah, oddly enough the only modern sedans rated for towing 3000+ lbs are Volvos and Saabs. Across the pond in the UK lots of cars are rated for 3000+ but for legal purposes most sedans either aren't rated or max at 1000lbs in the States. It's not a question of "Can this tow another car," it's a question of "If I get in an accident will I be held liable if I was towing beyond the car's rating."

It's silly, but I'm not going to bend the rules with safety/liability. Still, Volvos are handsome, comfortable and supposedly reliable, so it's not like I'm stuck with a completely terrible option.

Right now the biggest problem is that all of my friends in the area are all going to be busy tomorrow and Saturday. I don't think you have a lot of bargaining power when you get dropped off at a dealer's lot by a taxi.

GT-R is a supercar killer not quite an exotic. It is the superman of cars, mild manner Clark Kent on a daily basis and put it on RRR mode and it becomes super.......yawn with all the GT-R talk ...

It's completely up in the air, but I can't put an M5 or GT-R into the category that arose to describe the Lamborghini Miura.

Yeah, oddly enough the only modern sedans rated for towing 3000+ lbs are Volvos and Saabs. Across the pond in the UK lots of cars are rated for 3000+ but for legal purposes most sedans either aren't rated or max at 1000lbs in the States. It's not a question of "Can this tow another car," it's a question of "If I get in an accident will I be held liable if I was towing beyond the car's rating."

It's silly, but I'm not going to bend the rules with safety/liability. Still, Volvos are handsome, comfortable and supposedly reliable, so it's not like I'm stuck with a completely terrible option.

Right now the biggest problem is that all of my friends in the area are all going to be busy tomorrow and Saturday. I don't think you have a lot of bargaining power when you get dropped off at a dealer's lot by a taxi.

It's not your category to decide. They are both technically supercars by both specs and performance. The MK IV Toyota Supra was also a supercar, as was the NSX.

The GTR trounces cars that cost 2-3x as much that are considered 'supercars.' It's not really something that needs to be debated unless one just likes to say 'my opinion is...' which is like saying 'despite the facts...' :)

Can you do private party? Maybe buy a nice, lightly used Volvo or Saab from some old couple.

ascii42

GT-R is a supercar killer not quite an exotic. It is the superman of cars, mild manner Clark Kent on a daily basis and put it on RRR mode and it becomes super.......yawn with all the GT-R talk ...
Is there perhaps a slight difference between "super car" and "exotic"? According to wikipedia, cars like the Pontiac GTO, what are now known as muscle cars, were originally referred to as super cars.

Is there perhaps a slight difference between "super car" and "exotic"?

I'm sure there's somewhat of a distinction. When I think of exotic, I think of a McClaren F1, a Lambo, a Ferrari, a Porsche Carrerra GT, an NSX, perhaps a Maserati.

When I think of supercar, I'm thinking of both 'exotics' (like above) and more plain-jane supercars like AMG's, BMW M's, Audi RSes, GT-R's, 911 Turbos, etc.

The fact of the matter is that there's no set definition for "supercar" so it's purely opinion.

And today's sportscar is yesterday's "supercar" when you base it on performance.

True to some like the nsx(I never thought it was an exotic)

Not true when it comes to f40s, mclaren f1, Diablo and so on....

To me, the ideal fun car is anything that's around the 3000lb, 300HP, RWD mark - give or take.

This is why I love my Z so much. It matches every pound with horsepower. It weighs 3300lbs, and packs 332HP. I will turn blue in the face preaching this. It's one of the reasons why the E46 M3 was such a hoot to drive back in the day (even the EU E36 M3, and the Z4 M Coupe), the balance of weight and power and precision was truly perfect for the car.

That's why the E92 M3, as fantastic of a car as it is, wasn't as highly revered - it was confused, it didn't know if it wanted to be a sports car, a muscle car, or a grand tourer - a common plague that the M-division has been suffering from for the past 4 years now (thanks X5M, X6M). And that's when the 1M Coupe came in and saved the day with a back-to-basics design. I only say this because the E92 M3 was a car I test drove twice, once 6MT another time DCT - and just couldn't figure out what was it about the car that didn't grab me. I loved the car, but I couldn't see myself owning one, as unusual as that may sound. The 335i seemed like a better choice, too (which is why I had my GF get one after she test drove it with me).

But anyway. These "reviews" and limited seat time impressions (let's be honest...20 minutes? They aren't reviews) truly mean nothing. Toyota rushed the journos through the entire process, you couldn't drive the car in day-to-day conditions, traffic, bumpy roads, etc. We still don't know enough about the car. All we know is that it handles well and it has a nice gearbox - that's it. It's the same bit of praise regurgitated over and over again. It tells me nothing, I still don't care. I want to see it driven in a real-world environment, not a glassy smooth track.

Edit: But I'll never say no to more power, as long as it is manageable - which is why I'll turn down Z06s, ZR1s, Mustang GT500s, and all of those other ludicrously overpowered American behemoths that either ride on archaic suspensions, or don't have nearly the sophistication and poise to keep you from killing yourself from lightly tapping on the throttle during a light drizzle over a minor bump. Give me the GT-R. Give me the Astons. Give me the R8 V10. Give me an LP560. Give me the LF-A.

The zr1 has an archaic suspension? Are you kidding?

Too much GT-R talk.....

The GT86 kinda remind me of the 350Z when it first emerged....I wonder if it will be a success or be short term like the celica....

amrihua

In other news, it costs more to buy a Japanese car in Japan than in the US. In same cases almost $20,000 more :\ I priced a Lexus IS recently and was left torn by the fact I'll never own a car here unless I'm filthy rich. Most Japanese drive in econoboxes but I can never do that, driving in a toaster goes against everything I believe in.

Too much GT-R talk.....

The GT86 kinda remind me of the 350Z when it first emerged....I wonder if it will be a success or be short term like the celica....

Who knows. It could go either way. Have yet to see one in Japan. Are they on sale?

amrihua

NSX is for sure an exotic. It is a Japanese-made exotic. Exotics is not limited to Europe. They made less than 10k of them in 15 years!

It's a limited production car, a super car by 80s definition but by the mid to late 90s it was already showing how dated it is. I won't put it in the same league as Ferrari or Lamborghini.

But the NSX sure as hell has more road presence than a typical sports car. Its borderline exotic in my book.

Um...not really, the GT-R gets more look than the NSX and the GT-R is no way an exotic....The NSX is a dude magnet....well also GT-R but it gets twice the attention of the NSX.

It's a limited production car, a super car by 80s definition but by the mid to late 90s it was already showing how dated it is. I won't put it in the same league as Ferrari or Lamborghini.

I don't know if missing the point is the goal of this thread, but seems like people love doing it. It is a Japanese-made EXOTIC supercar. It doesn't matter if it's no longer a supercar, it was a supercar of its era and still exotic!

:\

amrihua

I don't know if missing the point is the goal of this thread, but seems like people love doing it. It is a Japanese-made EXOTIC supercar. It doesn't matter if it's no longer a supercar, it was a supercar of its era and still exotic!

By this definition any limited production car can be an exotic.

The NSX is alright.....its best feature is its cockpit view position and visibility, hard to beat that till this day. NA1 with no power steering is a joy to drive, BUT lacks power......but its also the most reliable semi-exotic car ever...

TylerD

Speaking of exotics, what are your opinions about a G37S coupe? Tou can find them in the mid 20s with 25-40k miles all day long. Luxury 370z sounds pretty sweet.

Speaking of exotics, what are your opinions about a G37S coupe? Tou can find them in the mid 20s with 25-40k miles all day long. Luxury 370z sounds pretty sweet.

Lol @ Tyler, nice joke. ;)

G37 is a piggish, lame gas-guzzler with somewhat boring driving dynamics. It is not nearly as cool as the 370z nor as exciting. Try it out, you'll see what I mean.

amrihua

I never used that as a definition! It is a limited production SUPERCAR from Japan, same as a Carrerra GT, Ferrari, etc. It is a Japanese exotic.

How is this so hard to understand? Do not twist my words.

It is not the same as a Carrera GT. Not even close. With that said, I'm looking forward to the new NSX. I'm quite impressed by what I've seen in NAIAS.

How much does a used CTS-V Coupe cost? That would be much more of a car to have.

http://youtu.be/eJ_RT5221rk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom