• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robox

Tried searching but came up with nodda, is there a thread for gaffers to showcase their cars?

it pops up in spurts and is actually a few years old. once somebody finds and bumps it, others will follow for a few posts before dying back down. it's here.

Archer

looking at leasing an S4 with the sport diff for $950. also cross shopping a loaded the g37x sport for $770 and a loaded tl sh-awd for $500. i walk to work, and would only use the car for pleasure. a lot can be done with an extra $450 per month. looks are irrelevant as all three cars look great imo. leaning towards the tl... thoughts?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
01-2013-bmw-m6.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-bmw-m6/med/#photo-4811655

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I've been thinking about doing this for a while...I started a car blog that I never had time to dedicate myself to. I fooled around with it a bit, and haven't touched it in 2 years.

Any web designers out there who would be willing to take the existing blog that I have and make it look prettier for me? It doesn't need much work, it already has space for ads. I'd just like a decent looking logo at the header, a neater backend that allows for organization by category and an alphabetical listing within every category.

This car stuff is more of a hobby than anything since I have a full time job, but because I do get to drive so many different cars, sometimes I feel like getting the word out there about them.

I am willing to pay for the work, btw. Not a whole lot, but again, the work required is fairly minimal, in my opinion.

Uh, hello? Why haven't I received a PM first?

Zyzyxxz

looking at leasing an S4 with the sport diff for $950. also cross shopping a loaded the g37x sport for $770 and a loaded tl sh-awd for $500. i walk to work, and would only use the car for pleasure. a lot can be done with an extra $450 per month. looks are irrelevant as all three cars look great imo. leaning towards the tl... thoughts?

When you put it that way the financial sense would say the TL but I don't know your income or how you are financially. The investor in me says that if you must lease go with the cheapest and invest the extra $450 a month but the enthusiasts in me says go for the S4.

I guess what I would like to know is, if you aren't comfortable giving out hard numbers, how much of an impact does $950 per month do to you?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Dude...are you sure that's leases? Where do you live? Those don't look like US$ quotes. A G37X lease with absolutely ZERO down, is in the $370 region with Navigation. $390-400 fully loaded with the Sport.

An Audi S4 is about $700 loaded with nothing out of pocket. And a fully loaded SH-AWD TL rings up to about $500, as you mentioned. But the other two quotes are whacky.

ascii42

I still think the CTS is the better looking car. I'm interested in driving the ATS, but I think it's too small. GM needs to learn how to package cars. Somehow the 3 series has more leg room and a larger trunk. With that said, the interior does look nice, and the technology it has should make it drive nice as well.

TheContact

Hello auto enthusiasts, anyone know if the 2012 Toyota Carolla LE would be a good car for my girlfriend? The only thing she really cares about is she wants it to be: good in bad weather, safe from collisions, have good highway mpg, and be a comfortable ride.

I was looking at reviews and overall the 2012 Carolla received about a 7.5/10, whereas the Ford Focus (which I think is just a little more expensive) received about a 9/10.

Just wondering if anyone has personal experiences they could share with these cars and if you would recommend.

aznpxdd

Where do you live? You can easily lease a M3 for for the amount you are gonna pay for the S4.

The new M6 looks very good. The old 6 series/M6 were puke worthy, but this one is much, much better.

Hello auto enthusiasts, anyone know if the 2012 Toyota Carolla LE would be a good car for my girlfriend? The only thing she really cares about is she wants it to be: good in bad weather, safe from collisions, have good highway mpg, and be a comfortable ride.

I was looking at reviews and overall the 2012 Carolla received about a 7.5/10, whereas the Ford Focus (which I think is just a little more expensive) received about a 9/10.

Just wondering if anyone has personal experiences they could share with these cars and if you would recommend.

In the small car segment the Corolla is a decent choice. Particularly if you're concerned with reliability.

Personally though, I'd steer you towards the Honda Civic, if only because it gets even better gas mileage than the Corolla. The Civic is the best overall value IMO, because its very reliable, very safe, very fuel efficient, and it's still kinda fun to drive. It also depreciates at a slower rate than most other cars. Meaning that if you go to sell it years later, it will be worth more than other cars in its segment.

The Hyundai Elantra is also probably a better choice than the Corolla. It's not as reliable as the Corolla or Civic, but they give you a 100,000 mile warranty with your purchase, so that's nice.

AlphaSnake

The front end of that M6 looks nice. But I still can't stand that flat and nasty rear.

Archer

When you put it that way the financial sense would say the TL but I don't know your income or how you are financially. The investor in me says that if you must lease go with the cheapest and invest the extra $450 a month but the enthusiasts in me says go for the S4.

I guess what I would like to know is, if you aren't comfortable giving out hard numbers, how much of an impact does $950 per month do to you?

i make more than double that a day as a business owner. however, it's not always been that way. during the lean times, i learned a few lessons, thus my habits are now much cheaper. the most i ever paid per month was $757.

i live in Canada. US prices aren't an option.

AlphaSnake

Okay, those prices make sense now.

Go for the TL. That's my personal opinion. As much as I like Infiniti and Nissan's finer products, including the motors, the G is a little cheap still. It rides rough, and it's interior could use some work in quality.

The TL rides better. Has a capable motor. Nice interior. Fantastic seats. It also has a much better AWD system. Plus it's priced considerably better in this instance.

Chibits12

Banned
Autogaf, I need your input on this.

I went to an auto show yesterday and found two hatchbacks that caught my attention, a 2012 Lexus CT200h (with F sport package) and a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3.

The Lexus CT200h is nice because for about 32 grand you get an upscale Prius since it's a hybrid car. It only puts out 134hp but you get 41 miles a gallon on the highway. The F sport package only improves the handling but you get a nice wing along with it.

Lexus-CT-200h-F-Sport-Edition-side.JPG.jpg

The Mazdaspeed 3, as everyone knows, has great handling and performance (263 hp) for only about 23 grand. It's no luxury or hybrid car but can compete with many sport compacts out there. Plus the car has a nice smile lol.

001_mazdaspeed3ncs_opt.jpg

My question is, which would you pick, performance or luxury? I wish the Lexus has a more powerful engine as an option instead of just the hybrid. I currently own a Cobalt SS (the "fake" 2.4 liter one ha ha) and I want to trade it in this summer since it depreciates faster than a jar of molasses. I'm undecided whether to pick a luxury or a performance oriented hatchback.

AlphaSnake

My buddy just got a loaded CT200. Nice great. Handles well. Fantastic interior. Superb MPG. But holy shit is it slooooooooooooow. Easily the slowest thing Ive been in in years. I couldnt tolerate that as a daily.

Chibits12

Banned
The MS3 is certainly more affordable than the CT200 and faster too. But man, that Lexus' interior is so nice though. Darn it why can't I have both? lol.

pax217

Autogaf, I need your input on this.

I went to an auto show yesterday and found two hatchbacks that caught my attention, a 2012 Lexus CT200h (with F sport package) and a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3.

The Lexus CT200h is nice because for about 32 grand you get an upscale Prius since it's a hybrid car. It only puts out 134hp but you get 41 miles a gallon on the highway. The F sport package only improves the handling but you get a nice wing along with it.

Lexus-CT-200h-F-Sport-Edition-side.JPG.jpg

The Mazdaspeed 3, as everyone knows, has great handling and performance (263 hp) for only about 23 grand. It's no luxury or hybrid car but can compete with many sport compacts out there. Plus the car has a nice smile lol.

001_mazdaspeed3ncs_opt.jpg

My question is, which would you pick, performance or luxury? I wish the Lexus has a more powerful engine as an option instead of just the hybrid. I currently own a Cobalt SS (the "fake" 2.4 liter one ha ha) and I want to trade it in this summer since it depreciates faster than a jar of molasses. I'm undecided whether to pick a luxury or a performance oriented hatchback.

I've owned two Honda Accords (when I couldn't afford anything else), and three Lexus LS', including the current model. I am a big Lexus enthusiast (if there is such a thing)-- get the Mazda. The CT is a bore, far overrated, and I really hate having it be a topic when talking about Lexus/Toyota.

Zyzyxxz

This thread needs more Cadillac.

I love the details on the back. Gives it a 3D feel you don't see in a lot of cars. Lots of wedges and angles and creases. I love that.

What do you think of the ATS?
http://www.cadillac.com/ats-compact-car.html

Already discussed it a few pages back but nobody seems to really care for the ATS, personally I am excited about the eventual ATS-V model. Love the CTS-V, I can see the ATS-V becoming their M3 killer.

Not the most exciting car I know, but I recently bought this baby last month at a steal of a price imo... 2009 LE with rims and spoiler, super clean inside, one owner, less than 34k miles for $12000. Never had a new car before, so it's such a surreal feeling.

Super smooth handling and shifting, quiet ride, and overall just a very well made vehicle. I'll buy Toyota and Honda for life.

ipDpe.jpg

djDZc.jpg

EYXBT.jpg

m7TdB.jpg

RTIeQ.jpg

ySqeH.jpg

lw_Cn_Q.jpg

MAu5t.jpg

ShowDog

Do it. If you're in SoCal, I can even go with you and help you find the right one and to mod it correctly once you get one. It can be hard to find a clean one depending on your budget, and most people have no idea what they're doing when they do mod one, but it's so worth it.

I am a SoCal gaffer. What kind of budget would we be looking at for a decent S2K? I drive a Ranger (use it for work) and want a second car that is fun to drive and not unreliable (doesn't have to be a daily driver though).

I was also thinking about a Z4 3.0 manual.

rage1973

Not the most exciting car I know, but I recently bought this baby last month at a steal of a price imo... 2009 LE with rims and spoiler, super clean inside, one owner, less than 34k miles for $12000. Never had a new car before, so it's such a surreal feeling.
I hate to rain on your parade but technically you still haven't owned a new car.

pax217

Super smooth handling and shifting, quiet ride, and overall just a very well made vehicle. I'll buy Toyota and Honda for life.

If you're stuck on Toyota for life, and appreciate smooth handling, shifting, quiet rides, and high build quality-- make sure you get yourself a Lexus at some point. They, also, aren't the most exciting vehicles (although the new GS is great), but they're the everyday-consumer pinnacle of 3 out of the 4 attributes you mentioned.

If you're stuck on Toyota for life, and appreciate smooth handling, shifting, quiet rides, and high build quality-- make sure you get yourself a Lexus at some point. They, also, aren't the most exciting vehicles (although the new GS is great), but they're the everyday-consumer pinnacle of 3 out of the 4 attributes you mentioned.

Oh yea I definitely want to someday. That would be my next step up after this Camry hopefully.

J-Rzez

That is one good looking car, i'll give it that much ^

Income tax refund is in to add to my play money for a new car, gotta decide on what route I want to take, such a tough decision. Tempted to keep my Evo and just go nuts with suspension and roll cage for Ama Rally events and for winter fun while getting a BRZ for everyday fun commuter. Or, keep the Evo as is and get a Boss. That 1970 retro theme on the new Boss really tugs at my old pony car heart strings, plus it comes in Green.

I'm going to the NYIAS in April though, so hopefully I'll get some answers on cars in the near future, plus get to check a few out in person.

TylerD

2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0t with manual transmission is going to start at $24,250 + 875 destination charge over the 22,500 base of the 2012 2.0t

275 hp / 274 lb-ft tq is impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom