• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0t with manual transmission is going to start at $24,250 + 875 destination charge over the 22,500 base of the 2012 2.0t

275 hp / 274 lb-ft tq is impressive

I don't care if they're two different cars, but Hyundai is definitely trolling Toyota/Subaru with that price point. That's a ton of power for the money, and there's potential for even more because it is FI.

Kudos, Hyundai.

Zyzyxxz

I don't care if they're two different cars, but Hyundai is definitely trolling Toyota/Subaru with that price point. That's a ton of power for the money, and there's potential for even more because it is FI.

Kudos, Hyundai.

Why are they two different cars? Both are affordable, mid 20K , RWD cars with small engines.

Just that Genesis is a better value for the money and makes the Subaru look overpriced in comparison.

AlphaSnake

The Toyota is considerably smaller. It's sort of like comparing a compact to a sub-compact.

The Toyota is considerably smaller. It's sort of like comparing a compact to a sub-compact.

That's why I wasn't too impress with the 200hp of the gt86....especially my guess is that it will be 27k+. My integra type-r was near 200hp back then. And I think it one of the best car I ever driven.

Halvie

Banned
Wait...are you talking about this new, 450hp, 8000rpm V8? How in the fuck is that boring?

b8 s4 can match it in power with a few mods. Would have rather had the bigger s/c engine or the v8tt that was talked about.

Same engine as an rs5, right? Comes in about last place for speed in its class doesn't it...

Halvie

Banned
Seriously, what the hell has happened to cars? Only 450 horsepower in my Audi? Meh, I suppose it'll do.

This horsepower escalation is getting absurd and I want it to end.

Totally agree, but also consider that a b5 rs4 matched or exceeded the acceleration claims we are seeing for the car. Uhhh that was a decade ago. Car isn't impressive, or is the b5 that amazing still :)

Zyzyxxz

only has 320 ft lb of torque for 450 horsepower? Seems kind of low for that kind of displacement. Hence way it may be slow for it's class.

I just wish the US would freakin' get one of these RS Avants. They are such amazing cars and I have wanted one for years. The closest we get is just the normal S4/6 Avants.

I would do horrific things to own the RS6 Avant with the V10TT.

only has 320 ft lb of torque for 450 horsepower? Seems kind of low for that kind of displacement. Hence way it may be slow for it's class.

It isn't bad at all, look at the 5.0l NA Jaguar/LR engines, that currently put out similar amounts of power at an additional 0.8l.

AlphaSnake

It's a high-revving V8, just like the M3. That's what happens when you begin to string out a motor - you sacrifice low-end for top-end.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Horsepower arms race is retarded. Car is the sum of its parts. How does all that feel? How appropriate is it to the chassis? How comfortable is that car? How does it look? What is the maintainence like? How adaptable is it? Where do you live? What are your roads like?

Most people, and I mean, 99.something % of them, aren't going to track these vehicles. Much of the potential is wasted or never used. and based on my experience, a significant to massive number of people driving high powered cars, have no fucking clue how to even shift properly, never mind drive.

What I am really trying to say, is that the Audi a7, with black bright work, 35% tint, Matt black exterior and anthracite wheels, is the very zenith of automotive everything and we should just stop there. It is all done.

j78QO.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ugly.

and matte couldn't be anymore played at this point

:)

The only way you could be more wrong is if you accidentally posted twice. And as for Matt being 'played' - that's ludicrous too. It's a type of finish, like metallic, or gloss. It's not only not played, it's just getting started and it's a nice step forward for paint in general, which has been stuck with the same finishes for decades.

The a7 is one of the most elegantly rendered sedans ever made, and it is almost objectively beautiful. You can dislike it, but calling it ugly is silly. Might as well ay a Lamborghini Miura is blocky.

Halvie

Banned
The only way you could be more wrong is if you accidentally posted twice. And as for Matt being 'played' - that's ludicrous too. It's a type of finish, like metallic, or gloss. It's not only not played, it's just getting started and it's a nice step forward for paint in general, which has been stuck with the same finishes for decades.

The a7 is one of the most elegantly rendered sedans ever made, and it is almost objectively beautiful. You can dislike it, but calling it ugly is silly. Might as well ay a Lamborghini Miura is blocky.

blocky as all get out

;)

What needs to change with paint is the bullshit watered based stuff they are putting on cars. Don't give a shit about the environment I would like my paint to last longer than three years without looking like trash.

b5 rs4 best looking car they have ever made. by miles.

quattro concept is pretty nice looking

AlphaSnake

blocky as all get out

;)

What needs to change with paint is the bullshit watered based stuff they are putting on cars. Don't give a shit about the environment I would like my paint to last longer than three years without looking like trash.

b5 rs4 best looking car they have ever made. by miles.

quattro concept is pretty nice looking

B7 RS4 has a bone to pick with your wrong opinion!

Actually matte is a huge step back technology wise for automotive coatings. I have always found it funny that it is considered premium when it is vastly easier to make and apply.

That being said...I am a huge fan of the A7 styling and wish I could afford one myself!

FStop7

Banned
Looking for more suggestions on fuel efficient cars that are still kind of fun.

I already own a fast car that makes over 500hp. But it gets 13 mpg and I am going to get a second vehicle for commuting.

Prius is the most obvious choice but I am at least tempted to get something with slightly lower MPG that is more fun to drive.

Current alternative candidates are:

VW GTI
VW Golf TDI
Mini Cooper S
FIAT 500 Abarth
Honda CR-Z
Chevy Cruze
Honda Fit

The Mini Cooper is awfully tempting. On the highway they can get nearly 40mpg if you keep a light foot. The FIAT is also very tempting but I think it's too small.

ascii42

Looking for more suggestions on fuel efficient cars that are still kind of fun.

I already own a fast car that makes over 500hp. But it gets 13 mpg and I am going to get a second vehicle for commuting.

Prius is the most obvious choice but I am at least tempted to get something with slightly lower MPG that is more fun to drive.

Current alternative candidates are:

VW GTI
VW Golf TDI
Mini Cooper S
FIAT 500 Abarth
Honda CR-Z
Chevy Cruze
Honda Fit

The Mini Cooper is awfully tempting. On the highway they can get nearly 40mpg if you keep a light foot. The FIAT is also very tempting but I think it's too small.
Not sure the Cruze really fits there. Hard to argue with the fuel economy and price, though. Plus it's bigger than the others. Price is what would probably lean me in the Cruze's favor over the Golf/GTI and the Mini. Otherwise either of those would be my choice.

The first car that comes to mind that you didn't mention is the Mazda3 with the new SkyActiv engine.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Apparently, the replacement for the Dodge Challenger will wear the Barracuda nameplate used by Plymouth from 1964-1974. It's rumored to wear the SRT badge that the next Viper will wear- remember, SRT was spun off into its separate brand like Ram was. SRT head Ralph Gilles always wanted to do a modern Cuda, and Chrysler's new overlords at Fiat are developing a new RWD platform for Alfa Romeo that will underpin the new age Cuda.

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/future/fu...s_to_the_cuda_to_replace_the_dodge_challenger

Zyzyxxz

Man with GM and Ford do so well financially can we safely say American muscle is back for good?

Who knows but compared to the drought from the last 2.5 decades I'd say enthusiasts are going to be happy.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
True. Or we'll start seeing Camaros and Mustangs with turbo I4's soon to offset the V8 versions.

Or we're about to see Malaise era part II.

Probably the latter. There's no way muscle cars can survive the new regs. The Tesla Roadster is more indicative of our high performance future.

AlphaSnake

With the new fuel economy regulations kicking in, we should enjoy em while we got em.

CAFE standards don't work how you think they work - they require a fleet average of 54.5MPG by 2025. Fleet average doesn't simply have you average out every car in a company's profile - it actually takes into effect the amount of cars each model sells. Sports cars and muscle cars will only get more powerful because they do not account for a large portion of a manufacturer's sales. Of the 2-Million cars a company like Ford sold in 2011...only about 40-50k of those were Mustang 5.0s - a mere 2.2%. Plus, the amount of technology that exists makes 54.5MPG a very achievable goal in 13 years.

This is why US car makes are hauling out more and more small cars from their European markets with smaller motors - they hope they drive enough sales to boost their fleet numbers up. And also why Daimler officially added Smart to their profile of US cars, again, just a quick and easy tactic to raise their CAFE average MPG across the entire range of vehicles. Car companies lobbied the government to change how CAFE works, which allowed the practice to base it on the sales of a certain model, as opposed to averaging out the overall company's MPG - so companies with a wide array of high-selling fuel efficient cars such as Ford, GM, Nissan, etc. can easily release super powerful cars because they are low volume sellers.

Petrolheads, worry not.

Zyzyxxz

Good point Alpha, do trucks have separate requirements from regular cars though?

The reason being that Chrysler got the fugly ass PT Cruiser classified as a truck back in the day in order to offset their crappy fuel mileage of the rest of their cars.

FStop7

Banned
Test drove an Audi A3 today. LOVED IT! Put a deposit down on a TDI model, silver/black. Should be here by the end of next week. 42+ mpg highway.

ascii42

Good point Alpha, do trucks have separate requirements from regular cars though?

The reason being that Chrysler got the fugly ass PT Cruiser classified as a truck back in the day in order to offset their crappy fuel mileage of the rest of their cars.
They do. That was a point of contention with foreign makes, as they sell fewer trucks than the Detroit 3, basically mean Detroit overall has to raise it's fuel economy less.

Novid

Banned
CAFE standards don't work how you think they work - they require a fleet average of 54.5MPG by 2025. Fleet average doesn't simply have you average out every car in a company's profile - it actually takes into effect the amount of cars each model sells. Sports cars and muscle cars will only get more powerful because they do not account for a large portion of a manufacturer's sales. Of the 2-Million cars a company like Ford sold in 2011...only about 40-50k of those were Mustang 5.0s - a mere 2.2%. Plus, the amount of technology that exists makes 54.5MPG a very achievable goal in 13 years.

This is why US car makes are hauling out more and more small cars from their European markets with smaller motors - they hope they drive enough sales to boost their fleet numbers up. And also why Daimler officially added Smart to their profile of US cars, again, just a quick and easy tactic to raise their CAFE average MPG across the entire range of vehicles. Car companies lobbied the government to change how CAFE works, which allowed the practice to base it on the sales of a certain model, as opposed to averaging out the overall company's MPG - so companies with a wide array of high-selling fuel efficient cars such as Ford, GM, Nissan, etc. can easily release super powerful cars because they are low volume sellers.

Petrolheads, worry not.

Never knew that. So its the entire range of the fleet not just indvisual lines...thats the biggest relief.

YSSMAN

Neo Member
They do. That was a point of contention with foreign makes, as they sell fewer trucks than the Detroit 3, basically mean Detroit overall has to raise it's fuel economy less.

Even then, I'd say they've done a better job of getting their cars higher on the MPG scale than Toyota, Honda, Nissan and so on. Chevrolet and Ford particularly have been leading the charge on having vehicles that get 40-ish MPG. Hell, the fact that the 2013 Malibu will be sold only as an Eco model for the first couple of months its on sale. That's a pretty bold move by GM, and a pretty clear indication of what they want to do with the car.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

AlphaSnake

These fleet averages are the exact reason that this car exists....

uTxbF.jpg

Precisely. If Aston Martin moves more Scion IQs (don't anybody fucking dare call this piece of shit an Aston) then they will be able to bypass tons of fees that they are normally hit with as being an exotics brand whos cars average 20MPG and less. In fact, it may even bring down the price of proper Astons by lowering the import costs associated with them, the gas guzzler tax, and etc.

Kabouter

Precisely. If Aston Martin moves more Scion IQs (don't anybody fucking dare call this piece of shit an Aston) then they will be able to bypass tons of fees that they are normally hit with as being an exotics brand whos cars average 20MPG and less. In fact, it may even bring down the price of proper Astons by lowering the import costs associated with them, the gas guzzler tax, and etc.

Then at the very least call it a Toyota iQ :p
Anyway, I can't imagine the Cygnet will be a huge hit, it's absurdly expensive from what I've read, and if you say you have an Aston and drive that, people are (rightly) going to mock.

AlphaSnake

Then at the very least call it a Toyota iQ :p
Anyway, I can't imagine the Cygnet will be a huge hit, it's absurdly expensive from what I've read, and if you say you have an Aston and drive that, people are (rightly) going to mock.

It's a Scion IQ in the US. *shudder*

I need to go take a shower to wash this off me.

N-Bomb

Just picked this up last week:

Gz9hul.jpg

Soon to get an STi drivetrain swap. I figure I can build something faster than a modern STi for less than 1/3 the price, and less than it would cost to buy an 04 STi used.

I also need to consider if I'm going to be getting the colour changed or not. I'd like a blue w/ gold wheels, but that does seem kinda typical. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom