• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

Too much GT-R talk.....

The GT86 kinda remind me of the 350Z when it first emerged....I wonder if it will be a success or be short term like the celica....

Never too much GT-R talk. Just like for $3000 you can get an additional 100hp out of the car via bolt-on and flash. ;)

The 86/FRS/BRZ is supposedly being made in low volume numbers. I'll suspect they'll sell every one outside of the northern-most states in the US. They're in that affordable price range for both enthusiasts on a super tight budget, and the window shoppers that don't even know the car is RWD or meant for handling aka you know, those people that will buy them and put fugly chrome american racing wheels on them.

sfedai0

Banned
Um...not really, the GT-R gets more look than the NSX and the GT-R is no way an exotic....The NSX is a dude magnet....well also GT-R but it gets twice the attention of the NSX.

lol no. NSX a dude magnet? In what world? It oozes exotic sex appeal. GTR is neither sleek nor sexy. Its a brute hulk with fantastic engineering. I just saw a GTR the other day. Fantastic but definitely didnt make me do a double take. The NSX is a timeless design.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Never too much GT-R talk. Just like for $3000 you can get an additional 100hp out of the car via bolt-on and flash. ;)

The 86/FRS/BRZ is supposedly being made in low volume numbers. I'll suspect they'll sell every one outside of the northern-most states in the US. They're in that affordable price range for both enthusiasts on a super tight budget, and the window shoppers that don't even know the car is RWD or meant for handling aka you know, those people that will buy them and put fugly chrome american racing wheels on them.
Sure, if you add that to the $90K the car costs in the first place.

Of course, that's why this thread is frequently a comedy goldmine; it often turns into dudes arguing which car nobody can afford is better than some other car nobody can afford, and then actually suggesting people bankrupt themselves to buy said car. Note: The 86/FRS/BRZ is not in the affordable price range for someone on a super tight budget. All we've heard about so far is 25K+.

Um yeah....I know about the Cobb AP stuff blah blah... on the GT-R blah blah...

But yeah....not too hype about the gt86, 200hp is a lil low.

lol no. NSX a dude magnet? In what world? It oozes exotic sex appeal. GTR is neither sleek nor sexy. Its a brute hulk with fantastic engineering. I just saw a GTR the other day. Fantastic but definitely didnt make me do a double take. The NSX is a timeless design.

Well in California? What no? Well I promise I'll behave in this thread so I won't say anything harsh..
Real life experience....its a dude magnet.

Zyzyxxz

Well if either if you don't own an NSX or a GT-R I think this discussion will go nowhere. Honestly nice car is a nice car and I'd be happy with both.

No matter how nice your car is I think if you don't have any game you will need more than a GT-R or NSX to get some panties off, probably more like Ferrari.

Well if either if you don't own an NSX or a GT-R I think this discussion will go nowhere. Honestly nice car is a nice car and I'd be happy with both.

No matter how nice your car is I think if you don't have any game you will need more than a GT-R or NSX to get some panties off, probably more like Ferrari.

Page 23 & 24..
All my pass and current girlfriends are hot...
Real life experience... :D

aznpxdd

Bro bump my man. Took the words outta my mouth.

Sigh...why do we have a junior shitting up the thread?

Enron

Banned
Why is it everytime I browse this thread I see there's always some sort of arguing or general nastiness going on, and its always the same posters involved in it time and again?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Why is it everytime I browse this thread I see there's always some sort of arguing or general nastiness going on, and its always the same posters involved in it time and again?

This thread is like the 'show your girl/wife/SO' thread, except you don't have to be nice.

nitewulf

honestly, why NOT the Genesis coupe with 300+ HPs? is it just because its a Hyundai? looks great and is powerful. of all the people talking about looking for cars in that range, no one even mentions it.

Edit: as for the GT-R, i just hate the way it looks...the Skyline R34 looked sooo nice. And the NSX was definitely a sleek, elegant design. understated, but looked nice.

honestly, why NOT the Genesis coupe with 300+ HPs? is it just because its a Hyundai? looks great and is powerful. of all the people talking about looking for cars in that range, no one even mentions it.

Edit: as for the GT-R, i just hate the way it looks...the Skyline R34 looked sooo nice. And the NSX was definitely a sleek, elegant design. understated, but looked nice.

The current genesis is an awesome little car and the new looks even better. They drive amazingly. Personally i'm more excited about the veloster turbo and how well it will compete with the focus st.

Zyzyxxz

I don't like the looks personally but I am sad that Hyundai doesn't get more recognition for being the first company to have brought a cheap RWD car to the market. While everybody salivates over the overpriced GT86.

Always they way it seems to be whenever you talk cars. Every car forum I have ever been posting on always acts like this thread.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't like the looks personally but I am sad that Hyundai doesn't get more recognition for being the first company to have brought a cheap RWD car to the market. While everybody salivates over the overpriced GT86.

The Genesis has a buttload of problems unfortunately that have deterred enthusiasts from getting anywhere near it. Check out Matt Farah's review on the 2.0T - he lists them all, some of them are just downright weird.

AlphaSnake

Always they way it seems to be whenever you talk cars. Every car forum I have ever been posting on always acts like this thread.

It's just a very opinionated subject. You will have significantly differing opinions and preferences.

Zyzyxxz

It's just a very opinionated subject. You will have significantly differing opinions and preferences.

Also cars cost tens of thousands of dollars so it's not like disliking somebody else's videogames which cost a paltry $50-60 in comparison.

Stakes are higher bro.

Just bought that '06 Volvo S40 T5. It is a boring, comfortable, FWD car. I am officially an old man.

At least it's got a turbo.

Edit: Of course I couldn't drive it home today because the damn finance guy wasn't in to finalize the transfer. Spent $14,000 and I drove home in a loaner Ford Taurus. Ugh.

And then there's that one crybaby poster who comes in bitching about what everyone else is talking about because it's not what HE wants to talk about...

Enron

Banned
And then there's that one crybaby poster who comes in bitching about what everyone else is talking about because it's not what HE wants to talk about...

I come in here to read what people think about cars. Not for shit like this.

Bullshit. Every girl I've ever showed an NSX to has gone ga-ga over it. Just because it appeals to guys as well doesn't make it a 'dude magnet.'

Every time you say 'real life experience' I think 'lame attempt at credibility.'

Which, every time there is one of these, you seem to be right in the middle of it.

AlphaSnake

Also cars cost tens of thousands of dollars so it's not like disliking somebody else's videogames which cost a paltry $50-60 in comparison.

Stakes are higher bro.

Oddly enough, we handle our shit talking with a lot more character and control than the gaming forum does - in my opinion, at least. Some of the fanboy banter (for lack of a better word) that goes on there has gotten pretty weird. Then again, it's always been off the wall ever since I joined 10 years ago.

Edit: Odd...BoobsPhysics banned? I don't see any offensive posts in his recent history. :\

Zyzyxxz

Can everyone stop saying that the gt86 will be overpriced. The subaru will be 25 and that's for the premium so the base 86 will probably be 21.

I honestly thought the GT86 was going to start at 25K-ish since they took forever to announce pricing and Japanese MSRP was around that price area.

But if it stays below 22K that's a nice deal considering it will cost the same as a Celica GT-S but offer RWD instead.

Bro bump my man. Took the words outta my mouth.

Sigh...why do we have a junior shitting up the thread?

How am I crapping the thread? By stating my opinion on a car that i
had real life experience with?

Well make that 2 nsx and 1 gt-r....

Calling my credibility lame because I actually owned said car .....

What's your credibility?

I come in here to read what people think about cars. Not for shit like this.

Which, every time there is one of these, you seem to be right in the middle of it.

Oh he been doing this? My fault too I should have ignored him.

But yeah...gt86 is nice but wasn't blown away with the spec. You guy got it right when brought up the Hyundai.

TylerD

I am going to go test drive a 2009 G37S 6-speed with 31k miles tomorrow to see if I want to keep it on my list. I like the interior and what I consider to be elegant/classy styling but I need to check the James May fizz factor.

AlphaSnake

I am going to go test drive a 2009 G37S 6-speed with 31k miles tomorrow to see if I want to keep it on my list. I like the interior and what I consider to be elegant/classy styling but I need to check the James May fizz factor.

Do you need the extra 2 seats? If not, go test drive a 370Z if you like the interior of the G37. They're very, very similar interiors - but the Z has a nicer steering wheel, nicer gauges, and lacks the fugly chrome/brushed metal all over the Infiniti's interior. Plus the 370Z's synchro-rev match makes the car a lot easier to enjoy in day-to-day driving, especially traffic or slow moving situations.

Just keep that in mind.

TylerD

Do you need the extra 2 seats? If not, go test drive a 370Z if you like the interior of the G37. They're very, very similar interiors - but the Z has a nicer steering wheel, nicer gauges, and lacks the fugly chrome/brushed metal all over the Infiniti's interior. Plus the 370Z's synchro-rev match makes the car a lot easier to enjoy in day-to-day driving, especially traffic or slow moving situations.

Just keep that in mind.

Yeah, my roommate had a base 370Z for a while and I drove it on several occasions and pretty much loved it except for the road noise. It wasn't all that bad but could be tiring on long stints. I could get by without the extra seats but it would be nice to have the ability to transport more than one other person. My ideal 370Z would be a White touring with tan or red leather. Not sure if the white with red exists.

I assume the G37 has a bit more sound deadening for a more aurally pleasant drive. Of course driving with the windows down and no music will happen a lot.

Enron

Banned

I actually drove a g37 coupe when i was car searching, even though it was out of my range. I really liked it. Sure its not going to compare to driving a 370z, but if you are looking for a more comfy nice ride that is sporty "enough", I don't see how you wouldn't like it. And i absolutely must have more than 2 seats.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, my roommate had a base 370Z for a while and I drove it on several occasions and pretty much loved it except for the road noise. It wasn't all that bad but could be tiring on long stints. I could get by without the extra seats but it would be nice to have the ability to transport more than one other person. My ideal 370Z would be a White touring with tan or red leather. Not sure if the white with red exists.

I assume the G37 has a bit more sound deadening for a more aurally pleasant drive. Of course driving with the windows down and no music will happen a lot.

Yes. Also, remember the base model Z has a totally different interior than a loaded one with navigation. Center console is completely different - different audio controls, different air-con controls, and of course the navi screen with all of its functions at the top.

Ironically, I actually sound deadened my 370Z today and it made a great difference. Took me about 2 hours. I used a giant chunk of spare cloth I had lying here, it's very thick - it may have been wool - so it absorbs and prevents sounds from traveling through it. I also lined the bottom of the cheap carpet that covers the spare tire with a sticky foam padding - and that too made a difference.

The reason why the 370Z has so much road noise is because of its open cockpit - the trunk and your seating area have nothing dividing them, unlike a G37 which has a trunk so all of its roar gets trapped in there. Convertible Zs don't have that problem for obvious reasons.

And that's actually something I've been considering on fabbing - a plexiglass divider that'll stick somewhere to divide the rear from the front.

J-Rzez

Of course, that's why this thread is frequently a comedy goldmine; it often turns into dudes arguing which car nobody can afford is better than some other car nobody can afford, and then actually suggesting people bankrupt themselves to buy said car. Note: The 86/FRS/BRZ is not in the affordable price range for someone on a super tight budget. All we've heard about so far is 25K+.

People were comparing performance of the GT-R to the Z06 (carbon or whatever i assume) and the ZR-1, 90k doesn't mean jack to the discussion, because the other car costs around, while the other even more.

People like to discuss things. Do I play for the 49'ers? No. Will I discuss their season, sure. See how that works? Cars are not much different than sports teams, especially when it comes down to brand vs brand.

As far as I'm concerned, the 86's are the most affordable legit "new car" for the track fun. Perhaps I should have put it that way instead of dismissing those who buy used and build. The reason the price isn't set in stone yet for these cars is that Toyota and Subaru know that price is going to play a huge factor on it's success to both enthusiasts, and earlier said "window shoppers". Close to 30k DOA. Mid 20's, tougher sell. Low 20's, fly off the lot.

AlphaSnake

I personally have driven many of the cars I mention in this thread. I'm one of the few fortunate.

Though what J-Rzez said is 100% true.

People like to discuss things. Do I play for the 49'ers? No. Will I discuss their season, sure. See how that works? Cars are not much different than sports teams, especially when it comes down to brand vs brand.

thats a pretty good analogy....

its just funny how people call my comments BS when all I did was tell them my own experience.

but regarding the GT86...being on the scion brand, would the regular Joe pick one up over a TC?
Toyota really need to price it accordingly if they want it to succeed. I have a feeling it will be 27K+
just for it won't compete with the 20K TC....which will be a fail.

I would rather have the GT86 to be a Toyota brand here in state.

Viperbah

its just funny how people call my comments BS when all I did was tell them my own experience.

Honestly, because you give off the perception that "I am better than you and I know more about cars because I own a GT-R"

You own a bad ass car, you could offer a lot more to the thread than posting that an "NSX is a dude magnet"

.....post up build sheets, dyno graphs, track results....etc.

BigDug13

I owned a black NSX with targa top before getting stationed in Japan and had to sell. Only a couple chicks actually knew what it was. Mostly dudes commented on it.

It's a head turner for dudes.

But I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Best driving car I've ever owned and didn't rely on crazy computerized technology like the GTR. You definitely feel connected to the car and the road.

In hindsight, I should have made the Navy ship it to Japan. I have yet to see a Honda NSX there and I know I would have gotten turned heads in a left driving version with the targa option that wasnt available in Japan.

sfedai0

Banned
I owned a black NSX with targa top before getting stationed in Japan and had to sell. Only a couple chicks actually knew what it was. Mostly dudes commented on it.

It's a head turner for dudes.

But I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Best driving car I've ever owned and didn't rely on crazy computerized technology like the GTR. You definitely feel connected to the car and the road.

It really has nothing to do with people recognizing the brand. Hell, most guys couldn't tell an NSX from a Ferrari. Obviously we can being car enthusiasts, but overall we're still a small segment. I can guarantee an NSX would be a head turner for both females and males. Its just that aesthetically pleasing. The guys that say its a "dude magnet" are probably getting hit on by car meet bros and Hondaheads.

Honestly, because you give off the perception that "I am better than you and I know more about cars because I own a GT-R"

You own a bad ass car, you could offer a lot more to the thread than posting that an "NSX is a dude magnet"

.....post up build sheets, dyno graphs, track results....etc.

I only mention I owned a gt-r when someone called my credibility "lame"concerning the nsx. I only mention that I owned it when zyzyxxz asked.
Usually when I comment on cars I actually had real life experience with it.

You can ask fellow nsx owners and its pretty well known in the nsx community that the nsx is a dude magnet. Most girl think its a corvette that they see on a daily basis.

I'm not really hear to change anyone's mind but don't call my statement BS just because you think differently.

J-Rzez

I searched back few but didn't see it, so if it's posted already sorry, but here's a dyno of the 86's motor, I'd assume/hope it's at the wheels:

attachment.php

AlphaSnake

I've been thinking about doing this for a while...I started a car blog that I never had time to dedicate myself to. I fooled around with it a bit, and haven't touched it in 2 years.

Any web designers out there who would be willing to take the existing blog that I have and make it look prettier for me? It doesn't need much work, it already has space for ads. I'd just like a decent looking logo at the header, a neater backend that allows for organization by category and an alphabetical listing within every category.

This car stuff is more of a hobby than anything since I have a full time job, but because I do get to drive so many different cars, sometimes I feel like getting the word out there about them.

I am willing to pay for the work, btw. Not a whole lot, but again, the work required is fairly minimal, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom