• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunsmithx

Just picked this up last week:

Gz9hul.jpg

Soon to get an STi drivetrain swap. I figure I can build something faster than a modern STi for less than 1/3 the price, and less than it would cost to buy an 04 STi used.

I also need to consider if I'm going to be getting the colour changed or not. I'd like a blue w/ gold wheels, but that does seem kinda typical. :\

Very nice, Which drivetrain are you dropping in? Are you doing the work yourself? I'll probably be picking up '12 WRX in the next few months, love Subies.

N-Bomb

Very nice, Which drivetrain are you dropping in? Are you doing the work yourself? I'll probably be picking up '12 WRX in the next few months, love Subies.

Thanks! Nah man, I'm technical, but not technical enough to screw with wiring harnesses. Gonna get a shop to do it for me.

I'm looking to get a V7 drivetrain in there with the 6MT and DCCD if possible.

This is my first one, but even with the stock 2.0L and auto trans, something about it is more exciting than my Celica GTS! It makes 40hp less, but 10 torques more, and at a few thousand RPM less. It's quieter too, but I'm gonna have to do a little dynamat-ing to make it more comfortable. Probably will be able to get in at around 400-500lbs less than a modern STi without resorting to CF parts after all is said and done :)

I just got done getting the first prices on my (first) car. It's going to be a new BMW F20 116i Urban Line. I mainly went for it to be comfortable inside with lots if iPhone connectivity, I don't really need it to be fast. Also, dat Harman Kardon sound system.

bmw_1_f20_lori.png

I wanted to get a used one before that but then the dealer gave the car to me for the entire weekend and I pretty much fell in love with it.
Also, most used models don't really have the stuff inside I am looking for or are plain ugly in their design-choices.

So yeah. I think I am going to catch a lot of flak for this post. also, it's about 29k in Euros.

The only thing I am not sure about is the rims. I wanted more badass wants but alas the lady veto'd so we ended up with those. growing on me bigtime though. :x

AlexMogil

Just picked this up last week:

Gz9hul.jpg

Soon to get an STi drivetrain swap. I figure I can build something faster than a modern STi for less than 1/3 the price, and less than it would cost to buy an 04 STi used.

I also need to consider if I'm going to be getting the colour changed or not. I'd like a blue w/ gold wheels, but that does seem kinda typical. :\

I'm torn on this. On the one hand that seems like so much work! On the other hand, you can stage 1 or 2 it from the start and buy aftermarket parts that Sti modders end up buying anyway like springs, struts, bushings, shift linkage, exhaust, etc. I'd be afraid of pricing brakes and rotors because even with reduced weight I'd want stronger stopping power but stock Brembos are like 1400.

And think of blue and gold as iconic. :)

Gunsmithx

Thanks! Nah man, I'm technical, but not technical enough to screw with wiring harnesses. Gonna get a shop to do it for me.

I'm looking to get a V7 drivetrain in there with the 6MT and DCCD if possible.

This is my first one, but even with the stock 2.0L and auto trans, something about it is more exciting than my Celica GTS! It makes 40hp less, but 10 torques more, and at a few thousand RPM less. It's quieter too, but I'm gonna have to do a little dynamat-ing to make it more comfortable. Probably will be able to get in at around 400-500lbs less than a modern STi without resorting to CF parts after all is said and done :)

I'm going on to my second, had an '02 WRX as well but I feel in love with them back in the mid to late 90, always wanted a 2.5RS. With some mods and the light weight that thing will fly! Should look into getting some STI seats too.

Also I agree Blue and Gold is very Iconic. My last one was Rally Blue, I'd get it again but the says no to that color lol.

N-Bomb

I'm torn on this. On the one hand that seems like so much work! On the other hand, you can stage 1 or 2 it from the start and buy aftermarket parts that Sti modders end up buying anyway like springs, struts, bushings, shift linkage, exhaust, etc. I'd be afraid of pricing brakes and rotors because even with reduced weight I'd want stronger stopping power but stock Brembos are like 1400.

And think of blue and gold as iconic. :)

You know what, that's what I was thinking - get the mods done right and at the beginning, and leave the car that way. Not worried to much about the suspension as I don't race, and a bit of slop is more fun/exciting/scary (all the same thing, right?) ;)

As to brakes, the stock STi brakes are more than good enough for anything seen outside of a track. If you're getting those to fade on the ride to work, you need to check your head, hehe.

Was briefly considering Scuderia Red or deep black, but one is expensive, and black gets hot in the summer. I dunno, we'll see where things go. Def gotta be a colour that goes good with gold wheels.

N-Bomb

I'm going on to my second, had an '02 WRX as well but I feel in love with them back in the mid to late 90, always wanted a 2.5RS. With some mods and the light weight that thing will fly! Should look into getting some STI seats too.

Also I agree Blue and Gold is very Iconic. My last one was Rally Blue, I'd get it again but the says no to that color lol.

Heh, I'm going to worry about the interior (seats and steering and such) after I get the drivetrain and exterior done. I rather like most of the interior as-is, to be honest, but we'll see if anything comes to mind.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
Hey Gaf !

I'm a noob in terms of cars and engines ...etc

I own a Corolla 2011 , 4 cylinders. Is it possible to attach a muffler to the exhaust ? I'm thinking of a wireless muffler ( the one's that come with a button to either switch it on or off ). However, some guy told me that mufflers can't be attached to 4 cylinder vehicles because they affect the engine.
I have no idea =) .

N-Bomb

Hey Gaf !

I own a Corolla 2011 , 4 cylinders. Is it possible to attach a muffler to the exhaust ? I'm thinking of a wireless muffler ( the one's that come with a button to either switch it on or off ). However, some guy told me that mufflers can't be attached to 4 cylinder vehicles because they affect the engine.
I have no idea =) .

Only if your car has a reservoir for headlight fluid. The mufflers drink that stuff up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
that's what i dont get...EVs have instant torque and can accelerate like a rocket, dependent on design...

Lot of caveman traditionalist auto gafers. Don't get them started on stick shift. You could have a 300 mph auto shfting electric Ferrari but for some reason it wouldn't count.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
OuterWorldVoice said:
Lot of caveman traditionalist auto gafers. Don't get them started on manually operated cars. You could have a 500 mph autonomous nuclear powered Ferrarighini but for some reason it wouldn't count.

sfedai0

Banned
Hey Gaf !

I have no idea =) .

You're doing it wrong. Its all about the fake Blow off Valve sounds.

N-Bomb

Lot of caveman traditionalist auto gafers. Don't get them started on stick shift. You could have a 300 mph auto shfting electric Ferrari but for some reason it wouldn't count.

It's about driver involvement. (transmissions)

You're basically giving up the feeling of connectedness for a couple milliseconds of quicker shifting. To me it's not worth it. You're also gaining a lot of mechanical complexity.

As to EVs - I think they're the future, but unlike some car people, I don't really care about them one way or the other.

That said, I'd love a hydrogen hybrid with the IC engine powering the rear wheels, and the electric motors on the front. AWD on demand.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Electric powertrains don't belong in sports cars. Electric motors usually can't be coupled with geared transmissions, and so either use a single-speed transmission (Tesla) or a CVT (nearly every other hybrid or electric). I think right now, Infiniti's M35h is one of the very few hybrids out there that uses a proper 7-speed auto transmission, and it has received accolades and praise, because it simply feels stupendous to drive. Once EV sports cars start packing both the power, the sound, and the feeling that a car like the M35h does - we'll be in an all new ball game.

Until then, there's no sense in talking about it.

Yep, I'm certainly one of them. Driving a Z32 TT w/ manual is one of the best feelings ever, you can't replicate that with automatic.

My DD can be automatic (it's not) but when it comes to sports cars, no way

Electric powertrains don't belong in sports cars. Electric motors usually can't be coupled with geared transmissions, and so either use a single-speed transmission (Tesla) or a CVT (nearly every other hybrid or electric). I think right now, Infiniti's M35h is one of the very few hybrids out there that uses a proper 7-speed auto transmission, and it has received accolades and praise, because it simply feels stupendous to drive. Once EV sports cars start packing both the power, the sound, and the feeling that a car like the M35h does - we'll be in an all new ball game.

Until then, there's no sense in talking about it.
3ljXD.gif

also, batteries weigh a lot and are not up to par with gas engines. It's still the cheaper and more efficient alternative to all electric.

robox

Electric powertrains don't belong in sports cars.

caveman!

while current current electric/hybrid technology can yet compete in terms of outright speed against a conventionally propelled car, there is still value in testing them in sports cars. manufacturers know full well what the target is, and they'll challenge themselves to meet them even with all that stuff weighing it down. that's why you'll see manufacturers put out concepts, prototypes, and race cars with new drivetrains because you need real world stress to push the state of the art. feedback of the car's behaviour to the driver is extremely crucial in racing, so there's gotta be a good deal of tuning as those aspects to wring out the most potential out of the cars.

even the FIA have in the past implemented rules and categories to encourage teams to produce more fuel efficient race cars. competition has always been a good driver of innovation and improvements. and it was only a few years ago when diesels in a sports car was a laughable notion as well.

of course there are loads of people that want and enjoy everything about the traditional sports car (the sound, the feeling) so i don't think they're anywhere near going away or getting replaced. but in a more environmentally conscious world, there are growing numbers of people that will want the speed but are willing to sacrifice things to leave the planet in better condition.

Mangotron

I don't understand why electric car makers don't exploit the sound aspect of their cars more. I mean, why not make them sound totally badass with speakers or some mechanical component, rather then just hum?

Stinkles

There is absolutely no doubt that the future of racing cars is electric. It is inevitable. If you like we can play distorted V8 samples from the stereo. Drivers can have a heavy gear stick that makes a thick clunking sound and is only connected to the drivers penis and ego via thin bungee cords. Everyone is happy.

N-Bomb

There is absolutely no doubt that the future of racing cars is electric. It is inevitable. If you like we can play distorted V8 samples from the stereo. Drivers can have a heavy gear stick that makes a thick clunking sound and is only connected to the drivers penis and ego via thin bungee cords. Everyone is happy.

Yeah, just what we need in a sports car - more useless bullshit. :p

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Local dealer is asking 18k for a 2004 F 150, 69k miles, 4x4, Supercrew 4.6l V8, looks brand new and in racing red.

What do you guys think?

Stinkles

Local dealer is asking 18k for a 2004 F 150, 69k miles, 4x4, Supercrew 4.6l V8, looks brand new and in racing red.

What do you guys think?

Do you need it for work? If you don't, that's a terrible idea for about fifty reasons, including the price.

Stinkles

I'll settle for 10 reasons.

If you don't need it for work:

1. Gas mileage.
2. Handling.
3. odomoeter mileage.
4. Price.
5. Color.
6. Comfort.
7. Vintage.
8. Resale value.
9. bed size.
10. drivetrain.

If you need it for work, then it's just too expensive.

N-Bomb

If you don't need it for work:

1. Gas mileage. <-- I have no idea if it's diesel or not.
2. Handling.
3. odomoeter mileage. <-- 69k isn't THAT bad.
4. Price.
5. Color. <-- subjective
6. Comfort. <-- have you SEEN pickups these days? Work trucks? They're living rooms now.
7. Vintage. <-- eh?
8. Resale value. <-- maybe he doesn't care about reselling it.
9. bed size.
10. drivetrain. <-- if he's taking it off-road, it's fine.

Stinkles

1. Gas mileage. <-- I have no idea if it's diesel or not. It's gas and 12-15mpg should be expected.
2. Handling.
3. odomoeter mileage. <-- 69k isn't THAT bad. It's not great for the price.
4. Price.
5. Color. <-- subjective True dat.
6. Comfort. <-- have you SEEN pickups these days? Work trucks? They're living rooms now. I meant ride comfort. It feels like being in a truck, obviously.
7. Vintage. <-- eh? It predates a lot of massive improvements in Ford build quality and interior tech.
8. Resale value. <-- maybe he doesn't care about reselling it. He would be an outlier.
9. bed size.
10. drivetrain. <-- if he's taking it off-road, it's fine. Or if he lives in snow. But we don't know.

He asked for reasons, those are all perfectly valid reasons.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Saw a lime green Focus RS yesterday.

I did not think those were imported to the US?

Unless someone bought one in Mexico?

I am confused.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
What aboot Canada? I see a lot of random shit up there. And you're practically walking distance. Compared to Mexico.

The thing is Canada is really good about not letting vehicles that are not intended for the US market get back to the US.

One of my friends really wanted a Skyline, then they had that whole Motorex thing. One of the seized vehicle was up for auction, and he tried to get it and no go. The gov't wouldn't let him have it in the US.

Couple months later, he finds Skylines available in Canada, but no one will sell it to him because the Canadian owners would get spanked by US and Canadian officials.

Stinkles

The thing is Canada is really good about not letting vehicles that are not intended for the US market get back to the US.

One of my friends really wanted a Skyline, then they had that whole Motorex thing. One of the seized vehicle was up for auction, and he tried to get it and no go. The gov't wouldn't let him have it in the US.

Couple months later, he finds Skylines available in Canada, but no one will sell it to him because the Canadian owners would get spanked by US and Canadian officials.

Then get a Pantera bro.

AvzZx.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Then get a Pantera bro.

AvzZx.jpg

I still need to finish my Hachiroku.

And I need a new driveshaft for it. Gonna save up for a carbon fiber one and I need new suspension.

Stinkles

teslas...really...

straight line performance per $ is trash on those. That is exactly why I don't want an EV. Once that gets sorted down the line I would consider them.

a 12.5 @ 104 is a rocket...

Tesla is literally the first mainstream production electric sports car. It goes from 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds. 0-100 in 12.5.

To dismiss it, especially in a conversation about future potential, is missing the point.

Halvie

Banned
Tesla is literally the first mainstream production electric sports car. It goes from 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds. 0-100 in 12.5.

To dismiss it, especially in a conversation about future potential, is missing the point.

I agree future iterations of their cars have a lot of potential. I don't care about 0-60. I don't drive like a jackass at stoplights*I do my jackass driving on open freeways :)*

0-100 in 12.5 for that price isn't that impressive...at all.

Halvie

Banned
dude, electrical torque is instantaneous, this is physics. the electric motors will always be faster than combustion engines. i dont give a shit about your opinion.

and i don't give a fuck about your slow as fuck over priced ev car. have fun getting walked by a 27k car in that rocket.

I understand it is instantaneous. Thing is unless you are driving like an asshole 0-60 doesn't mean anything, and the car will get demolished by traditional cars cost far less. To disagree with this is retarded.

Stinkles

I agree future iterations of their cars have a lot of potential. I don't care about 0-60. I don't drive like a jackass at stoplights*I do my jackass driving on open freeways :)*

0-100 in 12.5 for that price isn't that impressive...at all.

So you are a niche speed fan who only cares about mid range speeds. Get a Jaguar.

nitewulf

and i don't give a fuck about your slow as fuck over priced ev car. have fun getting walked by a 27k car in that rocket.

I understand it is instantaneous. Thing is unless you are driving like an asshole 0-60 doesn't mean anything, and the car will get demolished by traditional cars cost far less. To disagree with this is retarded.

i dont give a fuck what the fuck you give a fuck about. you're a retard who wouldn't be able to spell electromagnetism let alone understand the concept behind it.

Halvie

Banned
i dont give a fuck what the fuck you give a fuck about. you're a retard who wouldn't be able to spell electromagnetism let alone understand the concept behind it.

magnets_c.jpg

kk enjoy ur rocket bro

nice to know that I have to be an engineer to tell a time slip is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom