• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
i dont give a fuck what the fuck you give a fuck about. you're a retard who wouldn't be able to spell electromagnetism let alone understand the concept behind it.

Calm your ass down. There's no need for name calling like that.

nitewulf

sorry but what irritates me is this the type of thought process why we don't have nuclear power plants, wind farms and solar. no desire to understand new tech or learn about it, just hold on to traditional concepts, keep halting progress.

reilo

sorry but what irritates me is this the type of thought process why we don't have nuclear power plants, wind farms and solar. no desire to understand new tech or learn about it, just hold on to traditional concepts, keep halting progress.

Not even remotely a good equivalency.

His point about EVs being overpriced and flawed in today's world is completely valid. And we haven't even touched the subject of how EVs perform on a track.

Halvie

Banned

I posted they have potential several times did I not...

I am extremely sorry I don't find the numbers impressive aside from 0-60 which I don't care about.

I am not sure where I stated any progress on EV cars should be halted...

if I only could fully grasp electromagnetism I would be set

nitewulf

heh, you kept mentioning $/performance ratio...if thats ALL you care about, then why not a motorbike? i dont think any car has a motorbike beat on that front.

ascii42

Looks like the thread made another wonderful turn...

Electric cars show promise. I am interested in trying out performance electric car. So far the only electric car I've driven is the Volt, which I liked, but a performance car it is not. The price on the Volt(and other electric cars) doesn't make sense yet, but if we only cared about the price making sense we wouldn't be in this thread. We would be putting around in our used Toyota Corollas and Geo Metros.

What do you guys think of the new 300? Sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show and it was pretty damn nice.

I like it. Apparently Chrysler is joining in the test drive fun at the Atlanta Auto Show, so I look forward to trying one out if I go.

N-Bomb

Guys. EVs are relatively new tech (at this level). The fact that they are competitive with traditional cars in any respect is amazing on its own.

There are currently a lot of downsides to EVs, but give em time.

How far along were internal combustion engines at this point in their development? Probably still getting spanked by horses.

ascii42

Guys. EVs are relatively new tech (at this level). The fact that they are competitive with traditional cars in any respect is amazing on its own.

How far along were internal combustion engines at this point in their development? Probably still getting spanked by horses.

Technically EVs have been around nearly as long as gasoline power cars. There were about as many (if not more) electric vehicles on the road 100 years ago as there are now. But yeah, they did see pretty much an 80 year hiatus in major developments. There was basically no development on them between, say WWI and when the GM EV1 came out.

The problem is that there's really no point to electric vehicles without seriously advanced batteries. Until battery tech is flying along EVs are going to remain a very limited niche vehicle.

That's it, end of story.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Honestly, if someone gave me a Tesla Model X, I wouldn't say no. Bitches love falcon wing doors.

Zyzyxxz

The problem is that there's really no point to electric vehicles without seriously advanced batteries. Until battery tech is flying along EVs are going to remain a very limited niche vehicle.

That's it, end of story.

Agreed, I am very disappointed at where our battery technology is today. Especially the fact that we were leaders in it at one point (in USA) and we gave it up to China where only until recent years was there interest to improve batteries for EV's.

Although I think infrastructure can help ease the pains of limited range. I've read about inductive charging through concrete and I think that would be a very interesting way to increase long distance range by laying down highways with it. Although it is a pipe dream of mine I find it fascinating.

Honestly, if someone gave me a Tesla Model X, I wouldn't say no. Bitches love falcon wing doors.

god, wing doors are such a terrible idea (engineering wise) and they look so corny.

And Tesla is not what I call the saving grace of electric cars. Give me something that is mass produced, reliable and can actually meet production deadlines They work in a similar pace to Valve.

Also, car makers should not be forced to make electric cars or hybrids. They should focus on making current models as efficient as possible especially on trucks, SUV's and the like. Taking a car that has 15 MPG and making it that much more efficient is more cost-effective than taking a 30MPG car to a 40 MPG car.

TylerD

Autoblog drove the 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0t and 3.8 V6

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/21/2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-3-8-and-2-0t/

Prices start at $24,250 for a Genesis Coupe 2.0T with a six-speed manual transmission, plus $850 for destination and handling. Opting for the eight-speed automatic will cost buyers an additional $1,250, though if you're buying, spend the cash for an R-Spec model. With its upgraded brakes, limited-slip differential and adjustable front suspension, the R-Spec trim is well worth the $2,250 Hyundai asks over the base 2.0T.

Drivers can hop behind the wheel of a Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec for $28,750, plus the same destination fee. For comparison's sake, a less powerful Nissan 370Z will cost you $31,910 without a limited slip differential.

For buyers who aren't concerned with the badge on the hood or squeezing every last tenth out of a road course, the 2013 Genesis Coupe is a solid buy. While it may lack some of the precision of more storied sports car lineages, it offers an inarguable performance-for-the-dollar value.

TylerD

At good automotive podcasts out there? All I listen to is Autoblog.

I can't think of a better one than Autoblog. Zach, Dan, and Chris Shunk/Paukert are all great together.

Autoline After Hours can be good and they tend to focus on American makes but it is less car discussion and more auto industry in general. John McElroy, the host has been on Autoblog podcast several times. Definitely not as entertaining as AB podcast but John has been around the industry forever and is very insightful. He has Peter De Lorenzo on regularly who is like an older grumpier drier Dan.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513

I am always looking for good automotive podcasts so I would love to be introduced to more.

edit: For daily auto videos you should check out Drive's YT channel http://www.youtube.com/drive

I'm curious, I guess, but I can't make myself care beyond that. Me hearing about Ferrari announcing a new car is akin to me hearing about higher computer processor speeds. Yep, it is now faster with more electric gadgets. Nope, still don't care.

They couldn't even find an exciting shot of the test-driver in the car. Just look at him here, sporting the "Hanging the arm on the door while checking the odometer to see how many more fucking miles he has to do for this test session" pose.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, Ferrari just hasn't done anything genuinely interesting in a while. I suppose my story would be different if I could afford them, but as an outside observer it's simply "Yep, I guess that car is faster than the last one."

N-Bomb

I'm curious, I guess, but I can't make myself care beyond that.

Ditto. My theory is that exotics are just as boring as econocheapies. It's not too easy to explain, but it goes something like this:

At the low end, all cars are pushed into a wedge of identicallity by economic realities. There are only so many ways to make something as cheap as possible, etc etc, so most econohobomobiles come out very similar in most ways (shape, features, materials, performance), although they always try to stand out with styling.

On the high end, all cars are pushed into a wedge of idenitcality by physical realities. There are only so many ways to make something to skirt the laws of physics as closely as possible etc etc, so most hypercars come out very similar in most ways (shape, features, materials, performance), although they always try to stand out with styling.

The middle segment ($25,000-100,000) is where the most diversity and fun exist. Part of that is like James May's insistence that crappier cars are more fun because their limits are more attainable, but part of that is also because when you don't have to work against either a constraining budget or the laws of physics, you can do some pretty spectacular things.

If you've played Forza - think of it as the B, C, and D class cars actually being the most fun to race in, and most varied.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
They couldn't even find an exciting shot of the test-driver in the car. Just look at him here, sporting the "Hanging the arm on the door while checking the odometer to see how many more fucking miles he has to do for this test session" pose.

Umm...what? Massa is using the door as leverage to have a better hold of the wheel. I do this all the time too - it's more comfortable. And he's clearly focusing on the apex of his turn - Massa is simply in the zone, and not bored, as you're implying. Relax.

I can't believe you seriously just harped on what it is, quite literally, an image that is 5/10ths of a second long. Unbelievable.

Umm...what? Massa is using the door as leverage to have a better hold of the wheel. I do this all the time too - it's more comfortable. And he's clearly focusing on the apex of his turn - Massa is simply in the zone, and not bored, as you're implying. Relax.

I can't believe you seriously just harped on what it is, quite literally, an image that is 5/10ths of a second long. Unbelievable.

It was just a snarky little joke, don't get all riled up about it.

reilo

I'm curious, I guess, but I can't make myself care beyond that. Me hearing about Ferrari announcing a new car is akin to me hearing about higher computer processor speeds. Yep, it is now faster with more electric gadgets. Nope, still don't care.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, Ferrari just hasn't done anything genuinely interesting in a while. I suppose my story would be different if I could afford them, but as an outside observer it's simply "Yep, I guess that car is faster than the last one."

So, Ferrari hasn't done anything substantial in years, but Toyota's GT-86 is the equivalent of car Jesus?

Is this the part where we post articles and award upon award praising Ferraris?

So, Ferrari hasn't done anything substantial in years, but Toyota's GT-86 is the equivalent of car Jesus?

Is this the part where we post articles and award upon award praising Ferraris?

Yeah, I guess that's one way to completely misinterpret what I said.

What I'm saying is that Ferrari hasn't done anything genuinely interesting in quite a while. When they put out a new car you already know what it's going to be without seeing it: MR (or FR if it's their GT line) with a high-revving engine and more electronic, go-fast gadgets than the outgoing model. Yes, I'm dumbing it down significantly, but it's like what N-Bomb said: "There are only so many ways to make something to skirt the laws of physics as closely as possible etc etc, so most hypercars come out very similar in most ways..."

It's why new-comers to the super-car market have to do it in outrageous ways. Look at Pagani; do they make a better car than the 458? Maybe? I guess the Zonda's a little faster than the 458 on this track but it's a little slower on that track. But when it arrived it was so outlandish that you just had to pay attention to it. That's what I'm saying Ferrari lacks.

On the same token: I'm a huge Porschephile but I'll be the first to say that they haven't really done anything interesting with the 911 since they switched to water-cooled engines. They just get faster each year with better gadgets. I'm always a little excited to see what they upgrade for the new model but ultimately I don't really care all that much because I already know what the results will be without knowing the methods.*

And say what you like about the 86, but you have to acknowledge that it's going in a different direction from current sports car trends and that makes it interesting to see.

* That may be the best way to put my argument. When you already know what the end result will be without having to know how they'll do it, that makes it less interesting. That's kind of what I like about the Alfa Romeo 8C, too; apparently not a great car to drive, just a beautiful brute.

Edit: Here's another example of an interesting car. The MP4-12C. The suspension setup was really something else and I loved digging around on the bare-chassis suspension walk-arounds that some sites did when it was first released.

Halvie

Banned
Looking at tires for a new set of wheels. Thinking of michelin pilot super sports. Any other suggestions? Heard the conticontact5 is supposed to be nice, but can't seem to find many reviews on it. Have Hankook RS-3 now. Something a tad more livable for a daily would be nice.

Halvie

Banned
What are you looking for out of a tire? Grip? Smoothness? Seasonal?

Not seasonal. Will just be ran in summer/fall/spring. Gripe and smoothness if there is such a thing. Dry grip most important. Doesn't have to be extremely smooth either. Advan AD08 were pretty harsh imo. RS-3 is a bit better. A bit more livable than those should be fine.

Not seasonal. Will just be ran in summer/fall/spring. Gripe and smoothness if there is such a thing. Dry grip most important. Doesn't have to be extremely smooth either. Advan AD08 were pretty harsh imo. RS-3 is a bit better. A bit more livable than those should be fine.

Dunlop Star Spec Z1s.

Have them on my Evo and M3.

Halvie

Banned
Dunlop Star Spec Z1s.

Have them on my Evo and M3.

Have wanted to try those for a while, but as dumb as it sounds, I am turned off a bit by the weight. They have similar performance as the ad08 / RS-3, but are several pounds heavier. Doesn't make sense to drop a lot on light wheels if you are going to put the weight back on with tires.

AlphaSnake

Michelins are the epitome of grip and smoothness. I had Pilot Sports on my old 350Z - they were phenomenal tires. I hit some nasty, and I mean nasty meteorite NYC craters with them...not so much as a bubble. Most other wheels would've been cracked, but they couldn't even damage the tire.

Michelin is the true definition of a quality product. Check out reviews of the Michelin tire you want on Tire Rack. But the PS1 or PS2 get my vote.

Halvie

Banned
Michelins are the epitome of grip and smoothness. I had Pilot Sports on my old 350Z - they were phenomenal tires. I hit some nasty, and I mean nasty meteorite NYC craters with them...not so much as a bubble. Most other wheels would've been cracked, but they couldn't even damage the tire.

Michelin is the true definition of a quality product. Check out reviews of the Michelin tire you want on Tire Rack. But the PS1 or PS2 get my vote.

Excellent,think I'll just go with those then. Hurry up wheels/spring.

AlphaSnake

Excellent,think I'll just go with those then. Hurry up wheels/spring.

I just looked up Michelin Pilot Super Sports! WHY THE FUCK DID YOU HAVE TO MENTION THIS TIRE!? I JUST BOUGHT A SET! I had no idea about them and how awesome they are.

Curse you! Curse you to your damned hell, heathen!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...port Pkg&autoModClar=Built On Or After 6/2010

The 370 is getting a new set of shoes to wear! :)

Now to find it some sexy, lightweight, concaved socks.

Halvie

Banned
I just looked up Michelin Pilot Super Sports! WHY THE FUCK DID YOU HAVE TO MENTION THIS TIRE!? I JUST BOUGHT A SET! I had no idea about them and how awesome they are.

Curse you! Curse you to your damned hell, heathen!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...port Pkg&autoModClar=Built On Or After 6/2010

The 370 is getting a new set of shoes to wear! :)

Now to find it some sexy, lightweight, concaved socks.

Curse you and your way better looking selection of wheels. Least you can actually get wheels that are concave :)

AlphaSnake

I'm excited to get rid of these Bridgestones, to be honest. Once I hit the 7000 mile barrier on them, the tire roar became even worse. These Michelins are not only quieter, but they're softer...and yet...handle better?

I love you, Michelin-man, for producing such products.

AlphaSnake

Holy shit! The 275s for the rear are 5lbs lighter than my Bridgestones - 32lbs vs 27lbs! That is a HUGE difference for driven wheels. Omg. I can't wait. OMG.

OMG! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom