• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

h1nch

Car is back in the shop for a busted passenger side mirror and a return of the door seal creaking, so they gave me a 335i convertible as a loaner.

I gotta say, the performance tune does make a difference. The stock 335i I'm driving now has a noticeably less low-end torque, and the exhaust note is less aggressive. Initially after purchasing the car I was questioning whether it was worth the extra $500 to get the BMW performance tune, but not anymore.

Also, they had an F30 on the showroom floor. Gotta say, they look really nice in person.

nitewulf

can owners of the non turbo 3 series explain the sport mode to me? it FEELS quicker, but is it actually quicker? what does it actually do? i know the engine starts revving at a higher RPM, you SEEM to get a lot of low end torque...but what does the DS mode actually do?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Car is back in the shop for a busted passenger side mirror and a return of the door seal creaking, so they gave me a 335i convertible as a loaner.

I gotta say, the performance tune does make a difference. The stock 335i I'm driving now has a noticeably less low-end torque, and the exhaust note is less aggressive. Initially after purchasing the car I was questioning whether it was worth the extra $500 to get the BMW performance tune, but not anymore.

Also, they had an F30 on the showroom floor. Gotta say, they look really nice in person.

335i covertible has about the most uncomfortable ride I have ever experienced. My sister has one and lives in New York. The combination of the embarrassingly bad east coast road surfaces, seriously. You should all be ashamed of your local government and the general ass quality that passes for road building in the US, and the run flat tires makes it feel like a truck had a baby with a go kart.

TylerD

The master of thorough (yet dull) car walkthroughs strikes with a 27 minute video highlighting the differences between the new 2012 F30 328i sport, modern, and luxury lines. Really interesting how all the different packages are offered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lykldY69qvA

Oh, and Chris Harris spends 3 days living with a MP4-12c in the city, country, and track on the Drive channel. Pretty amazing how the car adapts so well to be an everyday driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKB-8WUB5k

Oh, and Chris Harris spends 3 days living with a MP4-12c in the city, country, and track on the Drive channel. Pretty amazing how the car adapts so well to be an everyday driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKB-8WUB5k

I like what he's getting at with the question of whether or not a supercar should be as comfortable and usable as a normal car; if they really should be utterly manic all the time whether you want it or not. Maybe I'm more of a GT sort of guy but I think I'd rather have something usable and mostly sedate like the MP4; supercars driven out on the road strike me as similar to a popstar going to a black-tie event in her stage outfit, all leather, glitter and feathers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
And to think, as insane as the projected performance of the 620 GT is, it's "only" Ferrari's top production model-- if the ridiculous specs rumored for the Enzo successor last week, (800 hp 7.3 l V12 + 120 hp KERS, 2600 lb dry weight), are anywhere close to reality, the mind absolutely, positively reels. Goddamn.

Basically, the next Enzo is just a Formula 1 car disguised as a daily driver.

Circle T

I like what he's getting at with the question of whether or not a supercar should be as comfortable and usable as a normal car; if they really should be utterly manic all the time whether you want it or not. Maybe I'm more of a GT sort of guy but I think I'd rather have something usable and mostly sedate like the MP4; supercars driven out on the road strike me as similar to a popstar going to a black-tie event in her stage outfit, all leather, glitter and feathers.

Same. I think there is certainly a place for the super/hyper car, that is just full-on bonkers fast and wild looking (Lambo, Pagani, etc), but I'm also glad that cars like the McLaren exist as well. Like you, I enjoy driving, so something that I could comfortably drive on a regular basis would be great. I appreciate what McLaren did when designing the MP4 because of that. Maybe it doesn't count as a "Super/Hyper" car due to those decisions. So be it. Whatever it is, I like it.

Smokey

335i covertible has about the most uncomfortable ride I have ever experienced. My sister has one and lives in New York. The combination of the embarrassingly bad east coast road surfaces, seriously. You should all be ashamed of your local government and the general ass quality that passes for road building in the US, and the run flat tires makes it feel like a truck had a baby with a go kart.

Wat

I'd say that has more to do with the roads in the East. My 335i convertible is pretty comfortable to me, but the run flats do need to go.

FStop7

Banned
bWVUj.jpg

nyn78.jpg

Picked up my A3 today. I really like it a lot.

FStop7

Banned
Edit: Of course I go on about power absurdity but still love things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeFcZAqGWfU

That music is from the Homeworld soundtrack!

A3 is so much nicer than the GTI. Please chip yours so you can have even more fun with it.

Thanks and I'm sure at some point I will give APR a ring. I know those guys from way back. I will probably do something dumb like go for their K04 kit or full stage 3 in a year or two.

The car drives very well, it's hard to tell it's FWD unless you really push it. It takes a a fair amount of prodding to bring out the body roll, too. And the DSG transmission just destroys the SMG3 transmission in my M6. I mean it's not even close. I'd give anything to swap the DSG box into the BMW.

That music is from the Homeworld soundtrack!

Thanks and I'm sure at some point I will give APR a ring. I know those guys from way back. I will probably do something dumb like go for their K04 kit or full stage 3 in a year or two.

The car drives very well, it's hard to tell it's FWD unless you really push it. It takes a a fair amount of prodding to bring out the body roll, too. And the DSG transmission just destroys the SMG3 transmission in my M6. I mean it's not even close. I'd give anything to swap the DSG box into the BMW.

SMG was such a garbage transmission. It feels like having a barely competent stick driver do the shifting + clutchwork for you. Dual clutch setups like the DSG feel so, so good. The M5/M6 unfortunately got stuck with those SMG's for a long time, although they did make an E60 M5 in 6MT... they're rare though.

The K04 works wonders on GTI's/A3's. The K03 is just not up to the task of providing power. But those cars have no LSD so adding more power to them can be troublesome. But they make for AWESOME daily drivers if under warranty.

FStop7

Banned
When on the track SMG3 really comes alive. It all falls into place and starts making a lot of sense. The shifts are still rough and can be disruptive if you try to get away with shifting mid corner, but all in all it performs very well. The problem is that I only go the track maybe one or two times a year. The rest of the time SMG is clunky, awkward, and slower than you'd expect. And the automatic shifting mode is less than worthless. I have a need for auto mode but when I do I'd prefer if it actually worked with a shit.

DSG on the other hand performs amazingly well as an automatic. In "Drive" mode it shifts so smoothly I could mistake it for a CVT. I don't feel the shifts at all and if the stereo is turned on I don't hear them, either. In Sport mode the shift points are raised and I can tell they're happening but it's still just as smooth as a traditional automatic. In Manual mode it responds instantly to the paddles and is crisp/smooth/etc.

Also, launch control. I LOLed when I saw in the owner's book that the A3 has launch control, it seems so superfluous. Then I tried it out and it's actually kind of fun. Hooligan mode. I don't know how they did it but there is zero torque steer. There's a lot of tire spin when the car launches but the steering wheel doesn't start yanking itself hard to the right like you would expect from a FWD car.

Like A3's a lot, but not why hold off another year for the new one?

1. I had an immediate need. 2. They aren't bringing the hatch or sportback version of the new A3 to the USA.

TylerD

After watching the 3rd episode of TG UK this season my interest in the 2013 Focus ST is piqued. I think one in white with black wheels and maybe blacked out taillights, those things are just ridiculous, would be pretty attractive. 247hp and 266tq 2.0 ecoboost that will likely be tuner friendly and a system to limit torque steer might make it pretty special.

jYq1heb3LRmDD.jpg

j7aRUyXnhDv66.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wat

I'd say that has more to do with the roads in the East. My 335i convertible is pretty comfortable to me, but the run flats do need to go.

No way. 335 Convertibles have terrible ride quality, especially with the Sport Package. They are extremely heavy and the run flats magnify everything x50

Hesemonni

Banned
I have a 2009 Audi A4 Allroad 2.0 TDi and I like it very much. Due to my work I have to drive into places with poor roads, but because I drive alot in my car on regular roads too I didn't want to get a proper SUV either. It offer the extra space I need and generally I prefer cars in touring/avant/station wagon form. I looked into BMW X5, but at that point it was a tad too expensive and at that time I felt the model revision was coming soon.

Now, last thursday I was at an Audi shop getting an error notification looked into (faulty exchaust sensor or something) I test drove the new A6 avant. Holy - fuck the cabin is awesome. The sense of quality is just astounding. My old A4 is solid piece of work, nothing creaks, wobbles or makes anything it isn't supposed to, but damn. Add to that the saleslady told me that A6 avant had just recently been revealed and will be on sale at the end of the summer.

My next car, is that you?

vsRSn.jpg

FStop7

Banned
After watching the 3rd episode of TG UK this season my interest in the 2013 Focus ST is piqued. I think one in white with black wheels and maybe blacked out taillights, those things are just ridiculous, would be pretty attractive. 247hp and 266tq 2.0 ecoboost that will likely be tuner friendly and a system to limit torque steer might make it pretty special.

jYq1heb3LRmDD.jpg

j7aRUyXnhDv66.jpg

This is what I originally wanted but the release date keeps getting pushed back and there aren't many details coming as to why.

Oh and check this out. Citroen DS4 Racing concept. I'd drive the pee out of this car.

citroen-ds4r-0.jpg

citroen-ds4r-4.jpg

http://www.gizmag.com/ds4-racing-citroen/21600/

Smokey

No way. 335 Convertibles have terrible ride quality, especially with the Sport Package. They are extremely heavy and the run flats magnify everything x50

lol that's exactly what i have too

probably feels fine to me since i came from a corolla...i think it's fine at the moment so im very curious to feel the difference with different tires.

TylerD

This is what I originally wanted but the release date keeps getting pushed back and there aren't many details coming as to why.

Oh and check this out. Citroen DS4 Racing concept. I'd drive the pee out of this car.

Damn, that is hot. Too bad we don't have Citroen in the US.

Marketing previews for the BRZ are rolling out and a member of the FT86club.com forum scanned the brochure. You can preorder a BRZ starting march 1st but who knows when they will announce pricing and the cars are supposed to be at dealerships in May according to the brochure.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=141748&postcount=47

Anyone here have experience with E30 BMW's? I am seriously thinking about picking one up as a daily driver. I found a very clean, female-owned, Alpine White '91 318iS 5-sp here in California. Reupholstered seats, 237k miles, no blemishes, well-maintained. Looks gorgeous.

They want $4.7k for it though. :\ I was going to offer $3.5k.

Really, really love the E30 styling and they are so much fun to drive. Would be using it as a DD in addition to an S2000. If anyone could offer input on what problems to watch for (other than rust), I'd love to hear it.

Or if anyone in SoCal that's an E30 enthusiast/expert would accompany me to see this car, that'd really help too!

Anyone here have experience with E30 BMW's? I am seriously thinking about picking one up as a daily driver. I found a very clean, female-owned, Alpine White '91 318iS 5-sp here in California. Reupholstered seats, 237k miles, no blemishes, well-maintained. Looks gorgeous.

Really, really love the E30 styling and they are so much fun to drive. Would be using it as a DD in addition to an S2000. If anyone could offer input on what problems to watch for (other than rust), I'd love to hear it.

Or if anyone in SoCal that's an E30 enthusiast/expert would accompany me to see this car, that'd really help too!

I had an E30. The market for E30's right now is stupid absurd. Everyone thinks their E30' are worth gold. Especially that one you saw for $4.7k with 237k miles. Do not buy that shit.

Worn out strut mounts are a common problem with high mileage E30's. Check for mushy brakes, bushings, and sloppy steering. Cracks in dash are also common. 318's are good motors and pretty much bulletproof, but that owner is asking WAYYYY too much.

As awesome and reliable E30's are, the market is stupid right now to buy one because everyone wants an unreasonable amount.

ascii42

Damn, that is hot. Too bad we don't have Citroen in the US.

Marketing previews for the BRZ are rolling out and a member of the FT86club.com forum scanned the brochure. You can preorder a BRZ starting march 1st but who knows when they will announce pricing and the cars are supposed to be at dealerships in May according to the brochure.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=141748&postcount=47
I love the target consumer beliefs and motivations.

I know most of you are (allegedly) powerfully-built company directors driving Gallardos, but here's my humble ride:

tsQJP.jpg

Owned for a year now.

J-Rzez

know you can just post a 8 second muscle car or something, but... still gets a wow out of me. First one parks the veyron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqBIwWjPgHY

The GT-R can be a beast power wise as well. I'm more of the balanced approach, but it is impressive. That said, when it comes to modding, a lot of cars that wouldn't hold a candle before to another will take down something dramatically more expensive. But it's like the old MKIV Supra Turbo just shitting on everything out there when it was out and people figured out that the bottom-end was relatively bulletproof, dramatically overbuilt.

I wish every time I think about the Supra that Toyota would bring it back, and be a TRUE spiritual successor to the MKIV. But seeing how Toyota has been, it would come out as some overpriced, underpowered, abomination.

This was an old mock up done just before the last Supra rolled off the lines iirc. I'd say that even though it is a bit older in design over the years, I'd buy it (if it was a true successor again).

2005_supra_multi_view.jpg

I had an E30. The market for E30's right now is stupid absurd. Everyone thinks their E30' are worth gold. Especially that one you saw for $4.7k with 237k miles. Do not buy that shit.

Worn out strut mounts are a common problem with high mileage E30's. Check for mushy brakes, bushings, and sloppy steering. Cracks in dash are also common. 318's are good motors and pretty much bulletproof, but that owner is asking WAYYYY too much.

As awesome and reliable E30's are, the market is stupid right now to buy one because everyone wants an unreasonable amount.

Yeah I NOTICED. It's ridiculous and stupid. I think the most I'd pay for that E30 is around $3-3.5k. It is very minty and has had stuff replaced on it recently and has enthusiast owners but... $4.7k? Jeez.

My neighbor bought his with 230k+ miles (odo doesn't even work anymore) from his friend for $900 a few months ago. It has some cosmetics issues (some paint is fading a bit, headliner needs to be redone, stupid, little stuff like that) but it runs well and doesn't have any major issues. For $900 I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were in the same condition as his. But over $3k is just busting my balls.

My girlfriend is looking for a new car. She was thinking of getting a Honda Insight because it's cheaper than the Prius. Are there any other choices for hybrid/high gas mileage type cars, or is that it?

ascii42

My girlfriend is looking for a new car. She was thinking of getting a Honda Insight because it's cheaper than the Prius. Are there any other choices for hybrid/high gas mileage type cars, or is that it?
There are high mpg non-hybrids, like the Cruze Eco, Ford Fiesta, and Golf TDI. The Golf TDI costs quite a bit more than the Insight, though.

FStop7

Banned
My first day driving the Audi to work and I averaged 34.2 mpg. Not bad at all for a turbo 2 liter sporty car.

Contrast this to the M6 where I was averaging below 15mpg. :O

sammich

jYq1heb3LRmDD.jpg

j7aRUyXnhDv66.jpg

Speaking about FORD, went to the Canadian auto show this past saturday. Was at the Ford booth, love the new Fusion, LOVE IT.. but.. i dont know if i can go from my TL to a fusion. Either way, they had this Video on their big screen, of a focus rally car going through some crazy ass stunts, drifting etc on what seemed to be film sets. It was crazy. When this thing was on, EVERYONE on the show floor stopped and watched this thing. It was freaking amazing. I want this video, or at least see it again, and i cant for the life of me find it. Can anyone help with it?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

New Mazda 3s have 40mpg and are a much more flexible, comfortable car. With her budget she can get the five door which is much much much much more attractive.

n0n44m

Speaking about FORD, went to the Canadian auto show this past saturday. Was at the Ford booth, love the new Fusion, LOVE IT.. but.. i dont know if i can go from my TL to a fusion. Either way, they had this Video on their big screen, of a focus rally car going through some crazy ass stunts, drifting etc on what seemed to be film sets. It was crazy. When this thing was on, EVERYONE on the show floor stopped and watched this thing. It was freaking amazing. I want this video, or at least see it again, and i cant for the life of me find it. Can anyone help with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0

this one? although it's a Fiesta ;)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

I was curious, so I went on Craigslist:

1988 BMW E30 M3 - $17500 (Portland)

lol.

So I'm in the market for a durable, dependable, and highly gas efficient ride, I'm not the biggest performance buff. For the most part, my city driving is minimal and I have a lengthy highway commute to work (about 2 hrs round trip.) So far I've been checking out the cruze eco and the entry level honda civic. I was slightly interested in hybrids, but I just can't justify the more expensive price tag since the MPG gains aren't proportionate. I could get a civic for 16k that gets about 39mpg or a prius for 24k that gets 48/51, but is the 8k more really more efficient cost wise? I'd imagine I could just spend the extra 8k on gas for the next however many years. I also hear that hybrids are more expensive to work on when it comes to maintenance.

Any recommendations GAF? I'm pretty amateurish at this. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of hatch backs *_*

edit - I'm leaning more towards a Japanese product, but from everything I've heard GM and Ford have stepped their game up since the bailouts

ascii42

So I'm in the market for a durable, dependable, and highly gas efficient ride, I'm not the biggest performance buff. For the most part, my city driving is minimal and I have a lengthy highway commute to work (about 2 hrs round trip.) So far I've been checking out the cruze eco and the entry level honda civic. I was slightly interested in hybrids, but I just can't justify the more expensive price tag since the MPG gains aren't proportionate. I could get a civic for 16k that gets about 39mpg or a prius for 24k that gets 48/51, but is the 8k more really more efficient cost wise? I'd imagine I could just spend the extra 8k on gas for the next however many years. I also hear that hybrids are more expensive to work on when it comes to maintenance.

Any recommendations GAF? I'm pretty amateurish at this. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of hatch backs *_*

edit - I'm leaning more towards a Japanese product, but from everything I've heard GM and Ford have stepped their game up since the bailouts
Hybrids generally provide a much bigger benefit in the city than the highway. Since you said you were doing mostly highway, I would stay away from them. Cruze Eco is probably the way to go, unless you decide you like the Civic more. The Mazda3 is also worth looking at.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
HOLLLAAA! Top is 245, bottom one is 275. Comparison pic.

These tires are liiiiight, btw. I picked up the 275 with just 4 fingers and didn't put any strength behind it. I'm going to weigh them both.

cCG9V.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom