• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Runflats are one of the worst things the auto industry has ever created. Good idea, shit execution.

Though gen-3 runflats promise to be fantastic, I'll wait and see how that goes as people rack up the miles on those. The new BMW 3-series will wear them.

There not too bad.

just the road noise and wear is the only negative I can think of.

Performs really wells. Plus my car doesn't come with a spare, that's why I'm kinda worry if I run non-runflats.

h1nch

Runflats are one of the worst things the auto industry has ever created. Good idea, shit execution.

Though gen-3 runflats promise to be fantastic, I'll wait and see how that goes as people rack up the miles on those. The new BMW 3-series will wear them.

The runflats on my 2011 3 series are at least 100% better than the awful ones on my 2009 3 series.

And they're still god awful. I'm confident at this rate they'll be mediocre within my lifetime.

AlphaSnake

The runflats on my 2011 3 series are at least 100% better than the awful ones on my 2009 3 series.

And they're still god awful. I'm confident at this rate they'll be mediocre within my lifetime.

Hahaha. So far, a lot of the reviews have been praising them...which is absolutely shocking. But again, it's a wait and see affair with tires like this.

I think the run flats that your running on your 2011 3 series is similar to mine, I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE070RR2.

What you didn't like about them?

AlphaSnake

The article about Danica Patrick is so clearly written by someone who doesn't care enough about cars to know she was not talking about the V12 Vantage, because they weren't even on sale back then and that she was talking about the standard Vantage, which back then, was a bit on the slow side.

Do some research for God's sake.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
The article on Danica Patrick did not diminish how I feel about her as a driver or an aspiration sexual fantasy.

I do think she will go Kyle Busch on some people this year.

Anyone here ever watch PassTime on Speed? I was a contestant this season when they taped it up at Milan Raceway in Michigan. I am not sure when my episode will air, but it is looking like some time in March.

If you guys haven't seen the show I would definitely suggest it. It is a great "background" show to watch with other car guys and being in the show was a lot of fun. Everyone is really laid back and easy going.

Anyone here ever watch PassTime on Speed? I was a contestant this season when they taped it up at Milan Raceway in Michigan. I am not sure when my episode will air, but it is looking like some time in March.

If you guys haven't seen the show I would definitely suggest it. It is a great "background" show to watch with other car guys and being in the show was a lot of fun. Everyone is really laid back and easy going.

Passtime is totally a guilty pleasure. It's such a badly produced show but everyone seems to be having a great time on every episode--you can't help but love it. Awesome that you got to be on it, how'd you do?

AlphaSnake

Amazing article regarding the GT-R and its creator on Top Gear:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/kazutoshi-mizuno-nissan-gtr-interview-top-gear-2012-02-23?imageNo=0

Really gives a lot of insight on how the engineers that made the car think and it shows just why the car is so good.

That was a great read. I was a little confused on how to read more, until I realized scrolling through the pics also changed pages.

Anyway, the dude is pretty brilliant - and I can relate to a lot of the zaniness.

Passtime is totally a guilty pleasure. It's such a badly produced show but everyone seems to be having a great time on every episode--you can't help but love it. Awesome that you got to be on it, how'd you do?

It was a lot of fun and I didn't win. I was actually winning until the very last car. It was an E36 M3 with like 900HP. I decided to just have fun with it and guessed 9.8 seconds because my E36 is a 1998. Plus it had been raining on and off and I figured he might not be able to run it full out. Turns out I was WAY wrong and he ran something like 6.x, so the old man beat me in the end.

The best part was that we kept Ken to ZERO dollars for the whole thing. I don't know when it will air but I will be the guy in the "SUCK SQUISH BANG BLOW" shirt and I am sure I will look like a complete tool.

It was a lot of fun and I didn't win. I was actually winning until the very last car. It was an E36 M3 with like 900HP. I decided to just have fun with it and guessed 9.8 seconds because my E36 is a 1998. Plus it had been raining on and off and I figured he might not be able to run it full out. Turns out I was WAY wrong and he ran something like 6.x, so the old man beat me in the end.

The best part was that we kept Ken to ZERO dollars for the whole thing. I don't know when it will air but I will be the guy in the "SUCK SQUISH BANG BLOW" shirt and I am sure I will look like a complete tool.

Man that's awesome. Too bad you didn't win but who the hell sets up an M3 for drag racing.

J-Rzez

Man that's awesome. Too bad you didn't win but who the hell sets up an M3 for drag racing.

The same people that worship AMS for example making a GT-R beat down a Veyron. I don't understand why you'd do that to a car balanced for handling, but to each their own. More power is fine, I beefed my Evo up a bit for the track, but my track is about the turns so I tried to balance the power with the chassis for handling purposes.

Culex

Banned
I picked up a set of Continental Extreme Contact all season tires for my Saab and they are awesome! I went from Pirelli Nero run flats, and there is absolutely no road noise.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Anyone here with aftermarket interiors have a preference in racing seats?

I'm trying to decide what to put in the Trueno. Japanese seat's are out, as I am 6' and weigh 250 lbs.

dubc35

I'm trying to decide what to put in the Trueno. Japanese seat's are out, as I am 6' and weigh 250 lbs.

Pure dedicated racing seats or something that can work with a DD and time at the track? I had a set of Sparco Torino II's in an STi I used to have. I really liked them. They were comfortable, good lateral support and could also recline.

ChiTownBuffalo

Pure dedicated racing seats or something that can work with a DD and time at the track? I had a set of Sparco Torino II's in an STi I used to have. I really liked them. They were comfortable, good lateral support and could also recline.

Cool. I will check them out.

I know you've excluded Japanese seats, but Bride has a "Type L" for the Zeta series for larger people. I've owned 3 Bride seats in the past mated up with Bride seat rail brackets. Awesome seats and support. Bride rail brackets gives it closer to OEM height.

Recaro's tend to be slightly bigger. SPG's are awesome. Not sure if there are any other rails that fit Recaros other than Wedge, which fucking sucks ass. I've also owned some SRD's and SPG's with modified rail brackets. Awesome seats as well, just not as deep and supportive as the Brides.

Just stay away from anything like Corbeau, ugh.

From a reader at GTSpirit (which mysteriously refuses to load...) comes the first photo of the Ferrari 620 GT:

AbTtk.jpg

From this angle, the rear reminds me of a Vanquish. Kinda prefer the 599 GTB/GTO right now, especially with those flying buttresses.

ChiTownBuffalo

I know you've excluded Japanese seats, but Bride has a "Type L" for the Zeta series for larger people. I've owned 3 Bride seats in the past mated up with Bride seat rail brackets. Awesome seats and support. Bride rail brackets gives it closer to OEM height.

Recaro's tend to be slightly bigger. SPG's are awesome. Not sure if there are any other rails that fit Recaros other than Wedge, which fucking sucks ass. I've also owned some SRD's and SPG's with modified rail brackets. Awesome seats as well, just not as deep and supportive as the Brides.

Just stay away from anything like Corbeau, ugh.

I'll check out that Bride. If I can get it in Bride green, that'll be a must buy.

Zyzyxxz

Reminds me of the Fisker Karma alot but that could also be because I saw one in person the other day and saw the episode on Top Gear about it.

I love that show! I don't think they've aired any new shows this year though, at least according to my DVR.

I got approved recently and have followed this thread for quite awhile. There's a lot of knowledgable folks in here and look forward to offering some advice and just talking cars with you all.

Here's a dyno video of my current car. They ran it in 4th instead of 5th gear and also have the wrong exhaust listed as well. I'll likely be adding a supercharger or turbo in the summer; time and money permitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AMU9XtS_Qc

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The F620 GT's 6.3-liter V12 will produce 740 horsepower and 690 pound-feet of torque, making it the most powerful twelve-cylinder engine ever made by Ferrari. With a redline of 8,700 rpm, this powerplant will move the Italian grand tourer to 60 miles per hour in 3.1 seconds and 100 mph in 8.3 seconds.

Holy cock and balls.

AlphaSnake

Holy cock and balls.

Yes, exactly. Cock and balls. Ferrari doesn't excite me anymore, their products aren't substantial.

Trolololol

MORE POWAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!
FUCK-YEAH.jpg

Edit: Though I'm certain that Diddles is right, no way it's a sky-revving V12 with that much torque. Unless it's forced induction... :O

The F620 GT's 6.3-liter V12 will produce 740 horsepower and 690 pound-feet of torque, making it the most powerful twelve-cylinder engine ever made by Ferrari. With a redline of 8,700 rpm, this powerplant will move the Italian grand tourer to 60 miles per hour in 3.1 seconds and 100 mph in 8.3 seconds.

Yawn...

i think that 690 lbft of torque is more than likely a misprint. probably 690 nm, which is about 510 lbft. otherwise the hp figures would be much higher, with a rev limit of 8700. still pretty awesome though.

Agreed, unless torque at peak bhp drops to by over 50% (of peak torque) in which case they have a crazy map

Amazing article regarding the GT-R and its creator on Top Gear:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/kazutoshi-mizuno-nissan-gtr-interview-top-gear-2012-02-23?imageNo=0

Really gives a lot of insight on how the engineers that made the car think and it shows just why the car is so good.

You had pie, made me laugh. Was an interesting read.

i think that 690 lbft of torque is more than likely a misprint. probably 690 nm, which is about 510 lbft. otherwise the hp figures would be much higher, with a rev limit of 8700. still pretty awesome though.

Impressive either way.

I don't mind the styling.

AlphaSnake

I do believe that Ferrari is looking to overthrow Bugatti and do it in a way that will piss VW off, as well - simplicity.

Halvie

Banned
I do believe that Ferrari is looking to overthrow Bugatti and do it in a way that will piss VW off, as well - simplicity.

If the new gt500 is going to be 650 only a matter of time before someone takes it down. Sickening considering the performance. Still sorta blows my mine you can build a gt-r that will eat one relatively easily.

AlphaSnake

Another photo here. I don't like it. Too reminiscient of the FF's design language, and the front looks like it has head bracers on.

Need a proper back shot now.

If you block off the front it looks pretty fantastic, just a little too showy for my taste with the contours on the doors. The wheel arches are stunning, though.

The front isn't quite a train-wreck but it sure ain't pretty.

And what the hell at 740 horsepower? That's just kind of absurd.

I'm turning into James May.

Edit: Of course I go on about power absurdity but still love things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeFcZAqGWfU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom