• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
anyone noticing a bit of a droopy-nose trend catching on?

F30-BMW-3-Series-1.jpg

Probably something to do with meeting new safety regulations.

Probably something to do with meeting new safety regulations.

Yeah, the hood has to be a minimum height for pedestrian safety. Combine that required height with a car company trying to keep its headlights lower for a more aggressive look (or something) and you get the droopy effect.

I remember an old article when these regulations were coming together that showed what a BMW would look like if they didn't push the headlights down while raising the hood and it looked very awkward.

Yeah, the hood has to be a minimum height for pedestrian safety. Combine that required height with a car company trying to keep its headlights lower for a more aggressive look (or something) and you get the droopy effect.

I remember an old article when these regulations were coming together that showed what a BMW would look like if they didn't push the headlights down while raising the hood and it looked very awkward.

Don't forget aerodynamics.

There's the drooping nose again. Sure, it's better for pedestrian safety, has the potential to save lots of lives and there's no downside aside from looks but it's still a shame since that already great looking Audi could have been that much better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't see a problem with the look at all. I love it, forces car companies to have some curves in their cars.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Around the Autoblog virtual office, the Toyota GT-86 is among the most eagerly awaited new models this year. So when we spotted a report in AutoBild that Tetsuya Tada, the chief engineer of the car, has confirmed that a convertible is coming, we got excited.

The comparison to the MX-5 make so much more sense now.

TylerD

The comparison to the MX-5 make so much more sense now.

I definitely don't want a convertible although I think it will look nice.

Today was the first day that you could preorder a BRZ yet there is still no concrete pricing info. Dealership allocation is going to be based on WRX sales so most dealers are expected to receive between 1 and 4 units between early May and November. Might be tough to get a test drive.

ascii42

It doesn't look bad, per se, it's just that it has the potential to clash with the intended look of the rest of the car.

Yeah, much like the 5 mph bumpers in the 70s. It tended to look fine on the land yachts (made a long car longer), but it usually ruined the look of anything sporty.

Gunsmithx

Ok I'm going to be in the market for a new car in the next couple of months and I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 or a 2012 WRX. I'm honestly torn between the two cars.

Both cars are fun to drive, I think the Mazda is a little better value and a much nicer interior but the Subi is just a blast and I tend to prefer the local community for it though since I live down in miami the all wheel drive isn't as useful. Just seeing is anyone has either car and collect some more thoughts on it.

Enron

Banned
Did anyone else get the fancy BMW press-kit-like 3 series mailer in their mailboxes last week? It was pretty impressive.

I'll be the outlier and say that I prefer the plain 'ole Aventador. That looks like it got caught under a truck and the roof got ripped off. :D

Gotta love Lamborgini's amazingly outrageous designs, though!

Zyzyxxz

I'll be the outlier and say that I prefer the plain 'ole Aventador. That looks like it got caught under a truck and the roof got ripped off. :D

Gotta love Lamborgini's amazingly outrageous designs, though!

Honestly I think if it was me I'd still buy the regular version because I prefer the looks too but as a convertible I think this looks pretty damn good compared to the R8 convertible.

Better be good at working on cars yourself or else the service bills would be sh*t-your-pants insane.

The depreciation on these super-powered cars is staggering. But most people will not be able to afford repairing them, between costly parts and expensive service labor rates. That's not to say they are unreliable (they're not) and that they're going to leave you stranded, it's just that if anything major does go wrong, realize that you're fixing an $80,000 car rather than a $24,000 car.

FStop7

Banned
What do you guys think of the 2006+ M5's?

Dayum I see some "cheap" prices on ebay for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...5499912?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cc2c18408

over 100,000 miles...

I'd be concerned about things like the VANOS unit, SMG pump, and the clutch. If any of those break you are looking at many thousands of dollars to fix them.

The reason that car is so cheap is because nobody wants to risk the repair costs associated with a car like that out of warranty.

I have an M6 with 2.5 years and 30,000 miles of warranty remaining. There is no way in hell I will keep it beyond that.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
over 100,000 miles...

I'd be concerned about things like the VANOS unit, SMG pump, and the clutch. If any of those break you are looking at many thousands of dollars to fix them.

The reason that car is so cheap is because nobody wants to risk the repair costs associated with a car like that out of warranty.

I have an M6 with 2.5 years and 30,000 miles of warranty remaining. There is no way in hell I will keep it beyond that.

Dayum.

www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m...129329-out-warranty-maintenance-costs-m6.html

Dayum to the max. Yeah.. You want to get rid of it asap lol.

The maintenance is the scary shit :(

Better be good at working on cars yourself or else the service bills would be sh*t-your-pants insane.

The depreciation on these super-powered cars is staggering. But most people will not be able to afford repairing them, between costly parts and expensive service labor rates. That's not to say they are unreliable (they're not) and that they're going to leave you stranded, it's just that if anything major does go wrong, realize that you're fixing an $80,000 car rather than a $24,000 car.

:(

Such a lovely beast too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Had my Z tuned tonight. Did some logging of it a few nights ago, send the logs over to my tuner, he built out 2 custom maps for me. Map 1 is like:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I gotta record some videos of the tach as it loses it just flys to redline in the 1st three gears. It's so badass, hahaha. AFRs under WOT are designed to be in the low/mid-12s. Map 2 is a smoother, calmer map. Still an improvement over stock, but AFRs are a bit higher being in the higher 12s region. The best change overall though is the power between 2-3K RPM, where the car was too damn lean before; 14s and 15s made it difficult to make a good pass and the exhaust sounded too boomy as the car struggled with power, so I always had to get some throttle. I no longer have to do this, the throttle response is better, there is more power and torque in that region which doesn't necessitate me having to feed anymore.

So now, with the tune, I've got notable gains in the low-end, neck snapping punch in the mid-range, and just tire burning awesomeness in the top-end. I had some fun on the highway driving around, a 335i Coupe happened to merge on a few exits down, he wanted to give me a go but quickly backed off when I punched it in 4th and the car just rocketed forward. I could've thrown it into 3rd and made a bigger impact, but the point was made. I wasn't looking for a race either, not my style.

I'm going to re-log the car to get some additional massaging done, if necessary. I wonder how much more can be squeezed out. Should be interesting.

FStop7

Banned
FUCK OFF why aren't we getting this here...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-RH9HcNgcHDs/T1VAkF0G8qI/AAAAAAAG5Ho/DOdepHSbEM4/s1600/2013-Audi-A3-49%25255B2%25255D.jpg /IMG]

2600 lbs starting weight...could have a beast for relatively cheap :([/QUOTE]

Because America has fucked up taste when it comes to things like hatchbacks. I'm just glad I got an A3 sportback while they were still available here. for the next gen A3 we're probably going to only get the sedan.

Also, I found an E30 325is locally that has an S50 swap, tons of nice suspension goodies, 5 lug conversion, E36 M3 front seats...

Really interested in buying this as it'd be an awesome, reliable daily driver with low weight (around 2700 lbs), RWD, and tons of whp and torque. It'd have similar whp and tq as my TL but RWD and 700 lbs less!

Guy wants $11.8k, but I'd give him like $9k... Yuri, you played with any S50 swapped E30's before? I'm hearing really good things about them and the reliability of the S50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom