• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Weighed both! Here are the results:

Rear 275/35/19 is 25.8lbs
Front 245/40/19 is 23lbs

vs.

OEM Potenza

Rear - 32lbs
Front - 28lbs

Very substantial weight savings. 12lbs saved from the driven axle is fantastic - I've always loved feeling the difference in performance with lightweight wheels and tires. My 350Z had Pilot Sports + XXR 518 wheels that weighed 20lbs each (overall tire + rim combo was close to 14lbs lighter per wheel), great difference over stock - broke traction effortlessly, but the rear end just felt so alive and light.

10lbs saved from the front axle will improve steering feedback, handling and breaking. Simply can't wait to get these on.

dubc35

that has been the price for the e30 m3 for a while now.
they've entered collector car status.

Most I've seen are more than that, in the $20k range unfortunately. I would love to have one though.

edit, it looks like the original question by BoobPhysics was referring to an E30 3 series (non-M3). They go for significantly cheaper.

that has been the price for the e30 m3 for a while now.
they've entered collector car status.

the stupid thing is that people will keep driving the shit out of their E30 M3's while they phantom appreciate. Most people will not store them and I don't blame them though, but damn.

Halvie

Banned

Front 245/40/19 is 23lbs

vs.

OEM Potenza

Rear - 32lbs
Front - 28lbs

Very substantial weight savings. 12lbs saved from the driven axle is fantastic - I've always loved feeling the difference in performance with lightweight wheels and tires. My 350Z had Pilot Sports + XXR 518 wheels that weighed 20lbs each (overall tire + rim combo was close to 14lbs lighter per wheel), great difference over stock - broke traction effortlessly, but the rear end just felt so alive and light.

10lbs saved from the front axle will improve steering feedback, handling and breaking. Simply can't wait to get these on.

still thinking of doing wheels too? You running the stockers now? Any clue on size / weight?

Front 245/40/19 is 23lbs

vs.

OEM Potenza

Rear - 32lbs
Front - 28lbs

Damn, that is a huge difference. Your car is going to feel sooo much better.

AlphaSnake

still thinking of doing wheels too? You running the stockers now? Any clue on size / weight?

I'm still not sure. I love the stock wheels too damn much. Anything else would be a downgrade, imo, and not worth the money. It's almost unheard of that a company like Nissan would go through the trouble of making big, beautiful, wide, lightweight forged Ray's wheels a standard upgrade for a car.

Damn, that is a huge difference. Your car is going to feel sooo much better.

Yeah, I'm definitely anxious to feel the results.

Halvie

Banned
I'm still not sure. I love the stock wheels too damn much. Anything else would be a downgrade, imo, and not worth the money. It's almost unheard of that a company like Nissan would go through the trouble of making big, beautiful, wide, lightweight forged Ray's wheels a standard upgrade for a car.

Same as the ones that were optional on the 350z? If so, yeah they are pretty damn light. Would be mostly for looks unless you eventually went with te37c1 if they are ever released.

google: 19x9 Front: Rim 23.2lbs With tire/stock 52.2lbs
19x10 Rear: Rim 23.9lbs with tire/stock 56.8lbs

Heavier than 350z I guess. Could cut a couple with te37sl, but nothing huge. Still pretty light for the size.

paskowitz

Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

Highlights:

740-horsepower, 509 lb-ft of torque, 8,700 RPM limit powerband, new generation Ferrari V12

3,362-pounds

0-100kph in 3.1 seconds, 0-200kph in 8.5 seconds, 211 mph+ top speed

Fastest Ferrari around Ferrari's test track, Fiorano 1:23

Co design between Ferrari Styling Center and Pininfarina

"Very high aerodynamic qualities"

F1 derived short ratio double clutch gearbox

Latest generation carbon ceramic brakes (CCM3)

Latest evolutionary leap of Ferrari's magnetorheological suspension control system (SCM-E)

Standard Ferrari electron control systems (E-Diff, ESP Premium, F1-Trac, and high-performance ABS)

Usable interior space

7407150351046510757.jpg

18773426911996641912.jpg

1846856160550378012.jpg

1920242491336092290.jpg

1322145004826035321.jpg

487787452008593706.jpg

1205963227987072453.jpg

Aventador is not amused.

6073847056_ed90c87db5_z.jpg

paskowitz

I think the design is a bit messy. Its not ugly like the California, but it is nowhere near as sensual as the 458. Its more Ferrari FF, which is not really bad or good. Its, lets just call it interesting.

AlphaSnake

Same as the ones that were optional on the 350z? If so, yeah they are pretty damn light. Would be mostly for looks unless you eventually went with te37c1 if they are ever released.

google: 19x9 Front: Rim 23.2lbs With tire/stock 52.2lbs
19x10 Rear: Rim 23.9lbs with tire/stock 56.8lbs

Heavier than 350z I guess. Could cut a couple with te37sl, but nothing huge. Still pretty light for the size.

350Z forged Rays were 18s for 2003-2005 Track models, they were 19lbs each - but not very good looking. Then came forged 19s for Grand Touring and Nismo models, which were actually very heavy. Then came the 370Z wheels.

All three wheels were different though.

If you block off the front it looks pretty fantastic, just a little too showy for my taste with the contours on the doors. The wheel arches are stunning, though.

The front isn't quite a train-wreck but it sure ain't pretty.

And what the hell at 740 horsepower? That's just kind of absurd.

I'm turning into James May.

Edit: Of course I go on about power absurdity but still love things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeFcZAqGWfU

Lol Homeworld soundtrack.

paskowitz

The rear of the Ferrari looks like an Alfa 8C.

Yes, but otherwise, I do not thing there is a clear comparison, or competition. The Ferrari is a work of engineering, the Alfa is a work of art. Design wise the 8C is most beautiful car of the last decade, no matter what anyone else thinks.

To put things in perspective, this is how the Ferrari was designed.

navier_stokes_equation.png

This is how the 8C was designed. And no, this is not a joke, the designer went on record as saying the the profile of the car was modeled after a (roughly quoting) "the profile of a voluptuous women laying on her stomach". This is the best reference I could find.

Marisa-Miller-Esquire-June-2011-Pic-8.jpg

2011-alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-10.jpg

AlphaSnake

I happen to disagree with the 8C being a good looking car. Quite frankly, I think it's weird looking, dated, and bulbous.

Astons are works of art. Alfa 8C? Ehhh.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I happen to disagree with the 8C being a good looking car. Quite frankly, I think it's weird looking, dated, and bulbous.

Agreed.

But that Ferrari F12? Totally boring. Nothing to get excited about.

I think it's sexy. The competizione looks like an updated Alfa 8C. Are you into the marque ? To me, everything from the wheels to the tail lights to the shape screams Alfa Romeo.

They cost a fortune though. Very limited production. More than I'd pay, even if I won 10 million dollars from the lottery.

The F12 certainly looks better than the wooden model from last week, although I still mourn the loss of the flying-buttress C-pillars. 0-124 mph in well under 9 seconds is good for coping, though.

Son of a bitch, the next Enzo/F70 is going to be monstrous.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Just noticed the F1 style brake light on the rear, love it.

But the gauge above the glovebox is lol?

Anyone here have experience with E30 BMW's? I am seriously thinking about picking one up as a daily driver. I found a very clean, female-owned, Alpine White '91 318iS 5-sp here in California. Reupholstered seats, 237k miles, no blemishes, well-maintained. Looks gorgeous.

They want $4.7k for it though. :\ I was going to offer $3.5k.

Really, really love the E30 styling and they are so much fun to drive. Would be using it as a DD in addition to an S2000. If anyone could offer input on what problems to watch for (other than rust), I'd love to hear it.

Or if anyone in SoCal that's an E30 enthusiast/expert would accompany me to see this car, that'd really help too!

I own 3.

E30 market is going way way up.

That engine is okay until the profile gasket decides to take a fucking dump.
http://timthurber.com/tcpg.htm

For that kind of money you can find one with an M50 swapped into it.

dubc35

I think they're just rebranding the Impreza to be completely different than the WRX which will be completely different than the STi. Instead of being all the same with different bolt ons, they will all be different models completely.

It reminds me of a Corolla :(

Whatever happened to this?

05_subaru_legacy_gt_500.jpg

It is the only Subaru model that I really digged. Ever. If I saw it on the streets (in sedan or wagon form), I always turned my head and thought to myself what a nice looking D-segment (?) car it is.

hwCwt.jpg

MLjK1.jpg

HPwCV.jpg

Be3cK.jpg

But besides the 4th generation Legacy, I never got the love Subaru gets as a car maker. I assume it has more to do with the performance of the cars than the appearance, which is a legit reason to love cars off course. :)

AlphaSnake

Love the old Legacy - easily one of the best looking cars Subie ever made.

53827d1172942553-mazdaspeed6-vs-subaru-legacygt-sti-purchase-hippo_sleek_127.jpg

lgt74.jpg

I'm gonna go fap.

dubc35

It's all about the 98-01 2.5RS (or the old school JDM/EDM WRX/STi since it wasn't turbo here in the US).

I'm incredibly biased though, I'm on my second one. I would buy a wagon one too if I had room.

It's all about the 98-01 2.5RS (or the old school JDM/EDM WRX/STi since it wasn't turbo here in the US).

I'm incredibly biased though, I'm on my second one. I would buy a wagon one too if I had room.

I love the GC8's styling, but damn Subaru US for not bringing out the turbocharged version of that car.

Nothing at all. Ferrari is boring trololol

It's a handsome car. A bit of cross between a 599 and a 458. But the front engine GTs don't excite me either.

What would get my juices flowing is a new Dino car. An ultra small, light weight and simple, entry level rear-mid engine Ferrari. Make it as close to 2500lbs as possible with either a V-6 or small V-8 making about 350hp, with a base model, no options car starting at 150k. And for the love of god, 6 speed standard, with an optional paddle shifter. Figure most on the lot will list for $170-190k. But I know it won't happen. They wouldn't save enough in manufacturing costs to warrant the lower sticker price. The sales volume would have to be high. And if they increase capacity, they might as well just make more 458s.

That Ferrari looks really good, stunning, even, in profile and...well it looks like shit from every other angle.

My biggest problem with the car is that Ferrari's design ethos is really the opposite of what I like about cars. I feel like the only thing I could say sitting behind that wheel would be "What the fuck am I supposed to do with all this tacky shit? What the hell does this knob do? Why are the turn signals on my steering wheel? Windshield wipers? Was I supposed to undo the top three buttons of my shirt and don a gold chain before sitting down?"

Ferrari seems to be moving more and more in the direction of "Hey, you like video games and over-done, unnecessary bullshit? Then check this out."

Oh, and in case reilo feels like misquoting me for a week again, I'm being hyperbolic. Let me be more realistic:

The looks, in and out, are far too busy, and I think their design focus is moving in the wrong direction: they're losing too much in the pursuit of track times only 2% of their customers will ever reach. But the latter comment applies to modern sports cars in general, though Ferrari is the worst offender I can think of off the top of my head.

PS - The 8C is just gorgeous. Everyone who disagrees is objectively wrong, so there.

I own 3.

E30 market is going way way up.

That engine is okay until the profile gasket decides to take a fucking dump.
http://timthurber.com/tcpg.htm

For that kind of money you can find one with an M50 swapped into it.

Yeah I've heard about the profile gasket. I saw one with an M30 swapped sell last week for $3800. The guy got one of his cars impounded and had to sell it really quick. It went in 2 days. If I had my TL sold and had the money in hand, I probably would've jumped into it.

How do you like the cars? What should I be looking for when I buy one? I'd love to PM you links to some that I might be interested in and have you see what you think.

BTW, you still selling your E30? http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/2822865692.html

Oh, forgot to mention: my friend stopped by at my house on Sunday afternoon with his '88 Ferrari Testarossa.

1330294002270.jpg

1330294041989.jpg

1330293981501.jpg

1330294225131.jpg

What a glorious car It's pretty fast, sounds INCREDIBLE, and is so raw and connected with the road. Total joy to see/hear/drive.

His has like 27k miles on it and is mint. It was a great surprise to have him show up in that beast.

N-Bomb

Oh new cars, why are you all so horrible?

More horsepower than ever, less exciting than ever.

I'm going to be one of 'those guys' in 2040 with a 45 year old car because nothing new is any good. :\

AlphaSnake

Oh, forgot to mention: my friend stopped by at my house on Sunday afternoon with his '88 Ferrari Testarossa.

1330294002270.jpg

1330294041989.jpg

1330293981501.jpg

1330294225131.jpg

What a glorious car It's pretty fast, sounds INCREDIBLE, and is so raw and connected with the road. Total joy to see/hear/drive.

His has like 27k miles on it and is mint. It was a great surprise to have him show up in that beast.

That is sick. 512 Rossas are one of my all time favorite cars. Horribly unreliable, but absolutely stupendous.

And seriously, you can't say no to a fucking FLAT 12! It's just so unique and one of a kind. Having that back there is reason enough to experience that car, I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom