• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pic of the Lambo from Paris Motorshow yesterday:

25zt5hw.jpg

2qk3qtt.jpg

o5nbwy.jpg

21bkkkl.jpg

20qif5e.jpg

313t4ds.jpg

the_log_ride said:
There are also rumors of a new price point – as high as $25,000 – and the possibility that the Subaru version will only be available in Europe.

Don't really care that it's gonna be badged as a Scion, but the bump in price sucks. Oh well, let's see how this plays out.

Nooooooooooooo

Alucrid

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
They're both mad cock cars. I like both cars for the following reasons:

BMW M3

Pros:
Fantastic V8
Very quick
Razor edge precision
Fantastic 6-speed manual
Aggressive looks
Sounds superb
Rear Wheel Drive

Cons:
Interior is somewhat plain
3-Series popularity dilutes exclusivity factor

Audi S5

Pros:
Supercharged V6 is underrated at nearly 400HP
ECU Tune + Pulley makes gobs of power for cheap.
Beautiful interior
Beautiful exterior
Smooth 6-speed manual

Con:
Manual not as smooth as BMW
All-Wheel Drive, lacks fun of RWD
Said to be prone to understeer
Potential long-term reliability of supercharger setup?

So if you care about how it drives you'll get the BMW and if you care about looks...you should still probably get the BMW?

Zyzyxxz

Alucrid said:
So if you care about how it drives you'll get the BMW and if you care about looks...you should still probably get the BMW?

Jeez so many BMW fanboys up in this thread. Honestly looks varies to each person.

I don't think BMW has made a good looking car since the E46 M3 which is basically anything after designer Chris Bangle got his crappy hands on.

AcridMeat

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I don't think BMW has made a good looking car since the E46 M3 which is basically anything after designer Chris Bangle got his crappy hands on.

I agree, I would have a lot more fun finding a good E46 and playing with that then buying new.

Or just finding an E30. :D

I really dislike modern day cockmobiles but to each their own.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Zyzyxxz said:
Jeez so many BMW fanboys up in this thread. Honestly looks varies to each person.

I think the E92 M3 is sexy as fuck, eventhough my next (and truly first big project car/weekend driver) will most likely be a E46.

robox

Zyzyxxz said:

e39 was the peak. everything's gone down from there.

it took me 2 years to get used to the e9x look. and the current m3 has this terrible ride height and rake to it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
r - b - x said:
e39 was the peak. everything's gone down from there.
and the current m3 has this terrible ride height and rake to it.

No. No. And no.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Cheeto said:
It's still basically an automatic transmission... you're just telling it when to shift now... it offers essentially no performance boost because the car's computer will always be better at determining the shift point, unless of course being in this "sport-mode" disregards any logic in the car's ECU to conserve fuel. But most automatics will shift for performance anyways when you have the pedal floored. But nonetheless, when you're using it you should just have the pedal floored the whole time... the car will cut fuel when the shifts happen automatically and rev match.

Would have to disagree with this. When racing my car is noticeably quicker when I am using Tiptronic vs automatic.

Pein said:
After a year of saving I'm finally getting my first car. A 07 white G35 coupe.

Congrats man I have an 05 and love it.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Poor Underground, they really do amazing work. Shame the car had to die, but glad the driver was ok.

1 year warranty on their 800-1200hp builds is just astonishing, they have a huge amount of confidence in their work.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I saw a Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary Edition today. Goddamn, that front bumper ruins it. :lol

I have some pics on my cellphone, but they're pretty crappy...

AlphaSnake

MWS Natural said:
Would have to disagree with this. When racing my car is noticeably quicker when I am using Tiptronic vs automatic.

You're not getting any extra power when you're using Manual Mode (Tiptronic is an Audi and Porsche system), a Nissan or Infiniti has no such thing. So it's all in your head. As long as you're foot is pegged down, the car will downshift into the lowest possible gear (most of the time) and shift at redline.

soujiro_seta said:
The Twin-Turbo Lamborghini Crash As It Happened

The same UGR TT Gallardo I posted in here crashed during the Texas mile this past weekend.... Nasty, nasty crash....
There's a much better video of the full run on streetfire which pretty much convinces me beyond all doubt that the chute deployment is what caused the loss of control:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/underground-racing-gallardo-crashes-at-200mph_2078318.htm

Nasty, nasty crash is right. I'm glad the driver walked away unharmed.

AlphaSnake

Well, I test drove a 370Z today and I loved it. It was marginally slower than the E92 M3, but around town felt livelier because torque is delivered nearly in full below 2500RPM. Huge plus for me. And it simply rips to its redline with the quickness. It's quicker than my modded 350Z. It's quicker than the 6MT Audi S5 I test drove. I drove a 7-speed Auto Z, which is a superb transmission for the car, but I'll definitely be getting a 6MT for mine.

I just gotta look over some finance stuff before I take the plunge. Might do it at the beginning of December or January - depends when I get my bonus. :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AlphaSnake said:
Well, I test drove a 370Z today and I loved it. It was marginally slower than the E92 M3, but around town felt livelier because torque is delivered nearly in full below 2500RPM. Huge plus for me. And it simply rips to its redline with the quickness. It's quicker than my modded 350Z. It's quicker than the 6MT Audi S5 I test drove. I drove a 7-speed Auto Z, which is a superb transmission for the car, but I'll definitely be getting a 6MT for mine.

I just gotta look over some finance stuff before I take the plunge. Might do it at the beginning of December or January - depends when I get my bonus. :)
If you get the 6MT model, spend the extra cash on the sport package. Better wheels and the SynchroRev Match, it's worth it.

AlphaSnake

twinturbo2 said:
If you get the 6MT model, spend the extra cash on the sport package. Better wheels and the SynchroRev Match, it's worth it.

I am. I'm getting it fully loaded - Touring + Sports + Navi.

Alucrid

Banned
What are some choices for sports car (manual/coupe) in the ~30k range? I was looking around and there were actually some 911s for around 30k. I'm looking because my dad wants to sell my car off to help fund a new(er) one and figure I'd get a say in it. :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
mushy45 said:
holy shhhhh at the 2011 GTR like the new rims, interior colours i want one next year :D

2v8iyps.jpg

Such a half-assed ugly pseudo sportscar aesthetic. It's aging really badly. Used to like it. I wish they would go more for the sedan/coupe lines of the older Skylines. It makes the brutal performance all the more exciting when it comes from a more vanilla shape.

2011 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06X TRACK CAR CONCEPT
Corvette is a mainstay on racing circuits ranging from LeMans to club racing. Chevrolet's Corvette Z06X Concept suggests a new idea and components for transforming a production Corvette into a serious, closed-course track car.

The Corvette Z06X Concept showcases how an enthusiast can leverage Chevrolet's expanding portfolio of performance parts to create a full-on track car. Chevrolet teamed with Pratt and Miller, partners in Corvette Racing in the American LeMans Series, to create this Z06X track car concept.

"Racing is an integral part of Corvette performance and technology," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "This concept car represents a mid-point between our GT race car and the production Z06, prepared by the team responsible for the Corvette Racing C6.R race cars, and featuring many performance parts owners can choose today."

The Z06X concept is based on the Corvette Z06 with the 1LZ equipment package, along with the Z07 Performance Package and CFZ Carbon Fiber Package. The 2011 Z06 with the Z07 package creates the lightest production Corvette and includes carbon ceramic brakes and Magnetic Ride Control, while the CFZ package offers body components that enhance aerodynamic down force on the race track, including a front splitter.

The Z06X Concept features competition-oriented modifications including: an adjustable carbon fiber rear wing, a polycarbonate rear window, roll cage, racing seat and safety harness, racing wheels, suspension enhancements – including coil-over struts with fully adjustable camber plates – racing-spec cooling system and more. The radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material are also removed.

The concept vehicle wears a low-gloss Icy White Metallic exterior color, accented with exposed carbon fiber body components and red trim. It rides on black racing wheels and racing tires. The interior is all business, with a racing seat, window net and roll cage-mounted camera system. It includes a racing pedal kit, a Genuine Corvette Accessory.

"It's a classic case of form following function," said Dave Ross, design manager. "The exterior color and accents were carefully selected to enhance the Corvette's racing-influenced design, but there's nothing superfluous in the Z06X's design – everything is there for a reason."

VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS
Exterior:
• Low-gloss Icy White Metallic color with exposed carbon fiber and red accents
• 2011 CFZ-option carbon fiber package, including splitter and rockers
• Adjustable carbon fiber wing
• ZR1 carbon fiber roof panel and B-pillar panels
• Carbon fiber raised hood (from the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition)
• Carbon fiber headlamp housings from Specter Werkes/Sports
• Weight-saving and shatter-resistant polycarbonate rear window
Interior:
• Base Z06 1LZ trim
• Radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material removed
• SCCA-spec roll cage
• SCCA-approved window net
• Racing seat with five-point safety harness
• Fire suppression system
• Driver's drink system
• Video camera system mounted on the roll cage
• Genuine Corvette Accessory racing pedal kit
Performance:
• LS7 7.0L V-8 engine and Tremec six-speed manual transmission
• Low-restriction air intake system
• High-capacity radiator and enhanced cooling system
• New-for-2011 Z07 Performance Package, feature Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors and special brake pads
• Lightweight racing wheels in black; 19-inch (front) and 20-inch (rear)
• Michelin racing tires
• Mono-ball control arm bushing
• Adjustable stabilizer bars
• Coil-over struts with adjustable camber plates

10Corv-Z06XTrackCar07441.jp.jpg

10-sema-2010-corvettes-press.jpg

10Corv-Z06XTrackCar07671.jp.jpg

Camaro SS X

01-sema-2010-camaros-press.jpg

02-sema-2010-camaros-press.jpg

The Z06X looks beastly!!! Camaro SS X looks great too!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'd rather have the Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 with its 6.4 liter, 470 horsepower Hemi.

challenger-srt8-392-sema006.jpg

Is it me, or does that paintscheme scream "Viper" to me?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The South Florida International Auto Show is this weekend, and Fiat's supposed to have a booth in the Chrysler area.

I'm going to go and check out the 500 for myself.

Smokey

What's the best way to go about finding out information about cars and stuff? What to look for, reviews etc?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Smokey said:
What's the best way to go about finding out information about cars and stuff? What to look for, reviews etc?
Bookmark a couple of the following:
Jalopnik.com
Autoextremist.com
Roadandtrack.com
Caranddriver.com

AlphaSnake said:
You're not getting any extra power when you're using Manual Mode (Tiptronic is an Audi and Porsche system), a Nissan or Infiniti has no such thing. So it's all in your head. As long as you're foot is pegged down, the car will downshift into the lowest possible gear (most of the time) and shift at redline.

Manumatic....Tiptronic...same shit. As I said before when racing my car is noticeably quicker since I am able to redline it more when shifting gears myself. No it's not in my head because I have raced with and without it, but thanks for your input.

MCX

Banned
Smokey said:
Consumer Reports.

Do 3 series BMWs get good gas mileage? I'm thinking about selling my Tahoe z71 and buying a used 325i. I no longer have the need for the gas guzzling, oversized SUV.

MCX said:
Consumer Reports.

Do 3 series BMWs get good gas mileage? I'm thinking about selling my Tahoe z71 and buying a used 325i. I no longer have the need for the gas guzzling, oversized SUV.

20-25 MPG, probably.

Zyzyxxz

MCX said:
Consumer Reports.

Just go easy on the gas pedal, even an m3 can achieve 25mpg on conservative driving

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i like the looks of the challenger but now that the homage to the original is out there they need to let designers update its look a bit , and drop some weight off that car its too heavy , if it were lighter it would eat up the track.

AlphaSnake

MWS Natural said:
Manumatic....Tiptronic...same shit. As I said before when racing my car is noticeably quicker since I am able to redline it more when shifting gears myself. No it's not in my head because I have raced with and without it, but thanks for your input.

Lawlz. Redline it more? What does that even mean? Look, take it from someone who knows this stuff...it doesn't make your car "faster". There is nothing magic about manually operating the transmission. I have a 350Z with the same 5-speed auto in it, and while I only drive it using the manual mode, there is no difference in performance between me keeping my foot down in D and changing the gears myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom