• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
On a lighter note, I've applied for an auto loan from Chase for a 2010 Nissan 370Z. Getting my car in Black Cherry, 6-Speed, Touring, Sports Package, and Navigation. Here's a picture for reference (not mine, obviously):

UY4IH.jpg

Ettie

Beautiful paint on the 370.

I have a soft spot for the BMW 1 series coupe, but loaded it's going to run around 45k after all is said and done. When you can get a corvette for that amount, or a used M3, I dunno, just makes it hard to swallow. I thought they'd be less expensive at the top end.

AlphaSnake said:
Lawlz. Redline it more? What does that even mean? Look, take it from someone who knows this stuff...it doesn't make your car "faster". There is nothing magic about manually operating the transmission. I have a 350Z with the same 5-speed auto in it, and while I only drive it using the manual mode, there is no difference in performance between me keeping my foot down in D and changing the gears myself.

I disagree, since the ECU adapts to your driving style. In auto mode I normally don't drive aggressively so perhaps that's why we have different experiences. I'm not saying I know more about cars than you but I have raced vs the same car using both and my car is noticeably quicker when I shift myself vs leaving it in auto. If I really cared enough about it I would grab my camera and stop watch then head outside lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
According to a report from Autocar, Mazda is currently working on a successor to the old RX-7 and the current RX-8. (We've heard this before. Many times.) Believed to carry the RX-9 nameplate, the next-gen sports car is tipped to ditch the innovative but clumsy quasi-four-door layout of the current RX-8, and that the platform is to be spun off from the MX-5 roadster. But what you really want to know about is the engine.

Dubbed the 16X project, the new Renesis rotary engine is expected to grow in size considerably over the RX-8's and pack around 300 horsepower – quite a bit more than the 232 hp we enjoy in the current car. Mazda is also said to be hard at work keeping the engine as clean and efficient as possible, as the current RX-8's high fuel and oil consumption have driven it out of certain markets already. The Japanese automaker could alternatively turn the RX-9 project strictly into a hydrogen halo vehicle, which might be nice if you happen to live near a hydrogen pipeline, less so for the rest of us.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/04/report-mazda-working-on-next-gen-rotary-powered-rx-9/

Mazda is "well advanced" in the development of a new sports car that is "likely to be called RX-9" and would be powered by a new-generation supercharged rotary engine. According to Britain's Autocar, the so-called RX-9 is a two-door coupe, "built in the image of the most recent RX-7," unlike the current Mazda RX-8, which has a complicated four-door configuration.

The RX-9 is expected to share major chassis components with the next-generation MX-5 roadster, according to Autocar. Its new rotary engine, designated 16X, will be larger than the 2.6-liter twin-rotor unit in the RX-8, fitted with an electric supercharger and developing more than 300 horsepower.

Mazda still has not decided whether the new engine will run on gasoline or hydrogen.
http://www.insideline.com/mazda/rx-9/mazda-plans-new-rx-9-sports-car.html

mazda_rx-9_ill_ns_110510_717.jpg

Electric Supercharger?? Hydrogen-fueled?! What the hell is going on?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AlphaSnake said:
On a lighter note, I've applied for an auto loan from Chase for a 2010 Nissan 370Z. Getting my car in Black Cherry, 6-Speed, Touring, Sports Package, and Navigation. Here's a picture for reference (not mine, obviously):

http://imgur.com/UY4IH.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It looks good in Black Cherry. Nice choice. :D

I've heard a rumor about the US-spec Fiat 500. Apparently, some test drivers on the Chrysler proving grounds were able to eke 50 MPG out of the car with the US-spec 1.4-liter engine. If Fiat can price the 500 at $15K to start, and they can get close to that 50 MPG number, then they'll have a massive success on their hands.

I wonder how good the Twin Air 2-cylinder motor is on gas. It only gives up about 15 horsepower and half a second in the 0-60 sprint, so performance isn't an issue.

reilo said:
CAFE standards messed them up, but I am so happy that they did not give up on the rotary.
And it is based on the Miata chassis, which is great and 300 horsies on that platform will definitely make it zoom
Heh, by the time it comes out, I just may be able to afford it.:D

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Two cars I will murder a family or beautiful smiley people for.

Modern version of the Lancia Stratos. Currently just a one off, but rumored to go into very limited production.
New-Lancia-Stratos-1.jpg

New+Lancia+Stratos+Review+4.jpg

car_photo_388945_25.jpg

SSC Ultimate Aero 2, the original stole the top speed record from the Veyron until Bugatti stole it back with the Veyron SS. Now SSC plans to take it right the fuck back with this beast. 1350HP plus 1400KG = holy fuck fast.

SSC-Ultimate-Aero-II-14.jpg

SSC-Ultimate-Aero-II-06.jpg

SSC-Ultimate-Aero-II-13.jpg

SSC-Ultimate-Aero-II-11.jpg

Smokey

twinturbo2 said:
Bookmark a couple of the following:
Jalopnik.com
Autoextremist.com
Roadandtrack.com
Caranddriver.com

thanks!

curious: as a general question, would anybody buy a used bmw 6 series?

robox

damned exchange rates.
was gonna order up a new suspension kit. then the shop i was going through told me they raised the price by 200 bucks over what i was originally quoted. i know the yen has been strong and the dollar's been tanking recently... but it still really hurts. really hoping it'll recover when i want to order wheels next year...

fucking cars. why's everything gotta be so expensive.

curious: as a general question, would anybody buy a used bmw 6 series?
why not? it still looks baller.
several years back, right when the new 6 series came out, i was really looking into getting an e24 6 series. that shit was already way over 10 years old at that point.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Ettie said:
I have a soft spot for the BMW 1 series coupe, but loaded it's going to run around 45k after all is said and done. When you can get a corvette for that amount, or a used M3, I dunno, just makes it hard to swallow. I thought they'd be less expensive at the top end.

When I started car shopping I ran into that same problem across the board. I'd keep adding features thinking, "oh thats nice, i'd really enjoy that" and would soon cross over into an entirely different pricing segment, at which point you can get a better car from another manufacturer.

Pterion

Gouty said:
When I started car shopping I ran into that same problem across the board. I'd keep adding features thinking, "oh thats nice, i'd really enjoy that" and would soon cross over into an entirely different pricing segment, at which point you can get a better car from another manufacturer.
Ah, the good old ''trim'' trick.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
MWS Natural said:
I disagree, since the ECU adapts to your driving style. In auto mode I normally don't drive aggressively so perhaps that's why we have different experiences. I'm not saying I know more about cars than you but I have raced vs the same car using both and my car is noticeably quicker when I shift myself vs leaving it in auto. If I really cared enough about it I would grab my camera and stop watch then head outside lol.

This is true, most CVT and tip transmissions have adaptive ECU's (even in the most basic cars) so yes, most cars will be faster manually shifted than automatically, and besides that you get to pick shift points both up and down, so sporty driving in auto is pointless.

Personally though I wouldn't drive a CVT/tip/semi-auto transmission car unless it was F1 style. Everything else is too slow, which is why I went for the GSR EVO X instead of the MR.

My card is dead!

I was travelling through the city and it started heating up like mad. Then it just refused to go anymore. It had some kind of ringing sound when I started it. The engine light turned on :(

I took it to the mechanic, but I don't expect it to survive. Any knowledgeable guys have an idea of what might have had happened?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Ettie said:
Beautiful paint on the 370.

twinturbo2 said:
It looks good in Black Cherry. Nice choice. :D

Thanks guys. I'm totally excited about the new purchase. I've had my 350Z for 3 1/2 years now. It's been a great car, but certain little annoying aspects of it have caught up to me, enough that it's made me want to trade it in. On top of that, as much as I thought the 5AT was super responsive and super quick to shift, I do love the improvements made to the 6-speed manual in the 370Z.

AcridMeat

Banned
BronzeWolf said:
No!

It just heated up, and kind of stopped going

Well hopefully it isn't a cracked gasket.

That's how my poor 190e met it's end. It eventually had a small crack that got worse and worse until we had to give it to the funeral home. :(

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Sorry for the big pics (no, I'm not)

I'll continue to promote and drool over the the 2011 WRX/Sti until my incompetent dealer gets one in.

108islv.jpg

mtuwif.jpg

35jm1ds.jpg

2ut2p7m.jpg

2qcqbnk.jpg

2r46ibn.jpg

2yl4sc5.png

6dr58h.png

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
You've got to realize not every Subaru fan is an Sti fan. I personally own, and would like another WRX. I dont race, i just drive to work and when the weather flips out I get there with no worries. They're reliable, well built machines.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Gouty said:
You've got to realize not every Subaru fan is an Sti fan. I personally own, and would like another WRX. I dont race, i just drive to work and when the weather flips out I get there with no worries. They're reliable, well built machines.

Doesn't make them any less hideous.

:p

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
You know how looks go, subjective and all that (again, I hate the Sti wing) but I really like the 2011 WRX.

AcridMeat

Banned
I have usually been a big Subaru fan but these last couple of iterations (of the WRX) don't click with me. Same with the Evo. I prefer the 9 to the 10, even if the 10 is a better car.

With that said, here's the 22B. :D

subaru_impreza_22B_1998_01_s.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TIME FOR SOME BIG WHEELS...

Few images from my weekend at the beach with my friend.

My FJ
1Lu7w.jpg

His
y4qS1.jpg

Our campsite
0Ud5M.jpg

Took over 200 images, but those 3 were probably my favorite.

AcridMeat

Banned
reilo said:
The only decent looking Subaru.

So they copied the new Jaguar XF? Nice.

jaguar-2009-jaguar-xf.jpg

Oh my mistake, the Subaru's bulge in the lamp is on the bottom.

edit: Oh jeez that's the 08 Legacy, so Jaguar copied the Japanese? Fuck man I can't keep up with who steals what anymore. :lol

Gouty said:

Only thing I don't like about my WRX is the notchy transmission. I don't think turbocharged engines are very practical for everyday driving though. I'd rather have a big ole V8. But the AWD is wonderful for unpredictable NY weather.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong thread for this (is there a repair/service thread?). Are those transmission flush, radiator flush, etc. services at the Valvoline Instant locations worth it? Will they do more harm than good? Something I've been wondering for a while!

BronzeWolf said:
My card is dead!

I was travelling through the city and it started heating up like mad. Then it just refused to go anymore. It had some kind of ringing sound when I started it. The engine light turned on :(

I took it to the mechanic, but I don't expect it to survive. Any knowledgeable guys have an idea of what might have had happened?

A ringing noise? Coming from the engine or the interior (like a door ajar buzzer or something)? Did it start up again after letting it cool some?

Bad_Boy said:
TIME FOR SOME BIG WHEELS...

Few images from my weekend at the beach with my friend.

Took over 200 images, but those 3 were probably my favorite.
So awesome. I hate seeing FJ's all shiny and clean. They look at home there.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
doitlive said:
So awesome. I hate seeing FJ's all shiny and clean. They look at home there.
Thanks, and yeah I know what you mean. Though I had to give it a nice wash when I got back, too much salt water.

Heres some more pics.

3t7sL.jpg

RNkl0.jpg

mDdOV.jpg

1NjSY.jpg

My friend has a 3" lift also. So thats why it looks taller. I just got my FJ 3 months ago, so no major mods yet.

Conceited said:
This is true, most CVT and tip transmissions have adaptive ECU's (even in the most basic cars) so yes, most cars will be faster manually shifted than automatically, and besides that you get to pick shift points both up and down, so sporty driving in auto is pointless.

Personally though I wouldn't drive a CVT/tip/semi-auto transmission car unless it was F1 style. Everything else is too slow, which is why I went for the GSR EVO X instead of the MR.

I feel you and I thought about going manual for a while but after riding in another G35 that was stick really turned me off. The herky jerkyness of the shifting was just annoying too me, I guess I just never really owned a stick shift so I'm not used to it. I love being after to mess around in manumatic for fun but then when there's traffic, or the phone rings, or I need to answer a work email I can throw it back in auto with no worries. My next car will be a Maserati so I am manumatic for life!

MWS Natural said:
I feel you and I thought about going manual for a while but after riding in another G35 that was stick really turned me off. The herky jerkyness of the shifting was just annoying too me, I guess I just never really owned a stick shift so I'm not used to it. I love being after to mess around in manumatic for fun but then when there's traffic, or the phone rings, or I need to answer a work email I can throw it back in auto with no worries. My next car will be a Maserati so I am manumatic for life!
You're fucking kidding me.

DON'T ANSWER EMAILS WHILE DRIVING YOU IDIOT.

deviant1

Sold my 04 G35 back in September and ordered a 2011 5-door WRX. I've been in love with this body style since the 08 STI came out, but I could never justify the $10K premium for a car that will 99% of the time be a daily driver. Once they changed the 2011 WRX to the widebody style I had to have one.

I've had it for almost 4 weeks now and I love the shit out of it. This is my third WRX, I've had an 02 sedan and I still have an 02 wagon as well, and the 2011 is way better in every way possible. The build quality, interior, integrated bluetooth, and the 2.5 motor are all fantastic. Can't wait for the spring when I can start to mod it.

Here's 2 horrible cell phone pics

wrx-2.jpg

wrx-3.jpg

Pterion

Gouty, it's nice to know you're keeping the WRX dream alive.

I'm still thinking about selling my Corolla 09 to my brother, and switching to a sportier/fancier ride. Need to gather more info on the E46 M3 long-term reliability, as there is a potential sweet deal that may fall on my lap.

I'm also going to get a ride in an Aston Martin Vantage soon. Colleague from another department got one, and the guy owes me one. Wish I had more high-rolling acquaintances around here...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AcridMeat said:
That's an incredible landscape (and great pictures) Bad_Boy, where was it?
OBX north carolina.

(Corolla Beach, Duck Island, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Hatteras)

we drove for hours up and down beaches that weekend. our campsite was behind the dunes on corolla beach. kinda illegal but hey, we didnt get caught. lol

weekend_warrior said:
I used to think FJ's were ugly. How stupid I was.
Honestly, in any other color than black or white they are ugly to me too. :lol

Though I've seen a sick blue one before.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Bad_Boy said:
Thanks, and yeah I know what you mean. Though I had to give it a nice wash when I got back, too much salt water.

Heres some more pics.

My friend has a 3" lift also. So thats why it looks taller. I just got my FJ 3 months ago, so no major mods yet.

Nice FJ. I've been driving around the family Jeep Commander recently since nobody else is around to use it and I need to 4WD in winter. It's such a tanklike vehicle and is so fun off road, I constantly get the urge to just drive over curbs or up random hills, through empty fields, or into people's yards. Every time I leave the campus parking lot I just want to drive up over the edge of the parking lot, across the field, and straight onto the road instead of going all the way around.

TomServo

reilo said:

I just wish my current RX-8 actually had a 2.6L twin rotor engine.

Been loving the car over the past couple of months. It loves to be driven hard, just needs more umph. Plan is to pay it off in a year or so, if I still like it beyond that I'll save up for a few months and go FI.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
siddx said:
Nice FJ. I've been driving around the family Jeep Commander recently since nobody else is around to use it and I need to 4WD in winter. It's such a tanklike vehicle and is so fun off road, I constantly get the urge to just drive over curbs or up random hills, through empty fields, or into people's yards. Every time I leave the campus parking lot I just want to drive up over the edge of the parking lot, across the field, and straight onto the road instead of going all the way around.
I get that same feeling all the time. You really feel unstoppable in a 4x4 vehicle. And for most terrain, you are.

I just got it so I haven't really done any major off-road until this weekend. And even then it was just sand. Though the puddles we went in were pretty deep. I kind of want to play it smart/safe before I try out the mountains and rocky trails. Next year I'll buy some armor and a lift.

The whole off-roading world is new to me. Before I thought it was just for rednecks. (no offence to anyone) But I think I'm liking it more than the go-fast nature of sports cars.

Now that I think about it, I wish Top-Gear did more 4x4 episodes like the one they did with the land cruiser going up a mountain side.

Pterion

So I just drove a 2011 WRX sedan (limited edition). Fun ride, but not what I was expecting. Wished for :
1) more ''refinement'' (spartan interior, despite leather seat and all that. Noisy ride, and not the good kind of noisy)
2) stiffer wheel/road feel (turning the wheel felt like turning through butter). I want a stiff BMW feel, damn it.
3) more ''oomph'' when accelerating (yea, the car is fast, but my butt dyno wasn't as impressed. I was spoiled forever by the 335i and S4. *sad face* )

I'll think about it, but I don't think I'll go for it. Sorry Gouty! The Sti might be more of the same, and I don't want to spend more at this point.

Good news however. I'll test drive a 2002 E46 M3 this saturday AM. Price is reasonable, and I've inspected the car and it looks well kept. Lots of miles though (70k), so that might be the deal breaker.

If I had money to blow on a daily driver, I'd love to get a CR-Z with the Mugen accessories. Maybe not the wing though. Thats a bit excessive.

Also, CR-Z Hybrid R is fucking hot I hope it gets a limited run.

snacknuts

we all knew her
What would I be better off spending ~$13K on: a used Subaru Outback or a Honda Element with lower miles? I'm leaning toward the Outback because 1) I had an Impreza for a couple years that I loved and 2) my wife and I have a couple dogs that we take all over the place and it would be easier to throw them in the back of the Outback than the Element, especially when we start having kids in a year or so. Suggestions?

Zyzyxxz

zesty said:
What would I be better off spending ~$13K on: a used Subaru Outback or a Honda Element with lower miles? I'm leaning toward the Outback because 1) I had an Impreza for a couple years that I loved and 2) my wife and I have a couple dogs that we take all over the place and it would be easier to throw them in the back of the Outback than the Element, especially when we start having kids in a year or so. Suggestions?

I would think the Element be easier to put dogs in but mind you I have driven neither.

I believed the Element had a modular interior with the moving seats around thing and it has more head room too no?

Either way I don't think the Outback is a bad choice, most Subaru's run forever anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom