• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

r - b - x said:
picked up a buncha magazines. end of one era, start of another.
HPIM3097.jpg

gotta sell my car, then off to pick up a nissan cube.
plans are gonna be simple.
factory aero, coilovers, wheels, and exhaust. then whatever little things.
and big ass vinyls of loli anime girls

oh.. but how i want a toyota vellfire...

WAGON STYLE FUCK YEAH!

It's all about those Nissan Stagea's with the RB26DETT's dropped into them and a R34 front end conversion.

I just picked this up for my school getabout. I loved the Speed6 back when it came out, but never sprung for one. I love this car too, but miss the AWD. Should still prove to be fun during the daily commute.

SAM_0239.jpg

SAM_0242.jpg

SAM_0241.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
I've been looking intensely for a car for my commute to school.

Everything from GTIs, Jettas, 944s, (old) rx7s, Volvos, BMWs (would be cool to find an 80s is), Focus, Miatas, going to look at a clean Alfa 164 tomorrow.

Anyone have insight? The price range is ~1000-3500.

X-Frame

AcridMeat said:

Everything from GTIs, Jettas, 944s, (old) rx7s, Volvos, BMWs (would be cool to find an 80s is), Focus, Miatas, going to look at a clean Alfa 164 tomorrow.

An old RX-7 would be a pretty risky commuter .. those rotary engines aren't known for being the most reliable.

AcridMeat said:

My dad has a 97 Jetta, nice economical car. If your commute is a lot of stop'n'go I recommend avoiding standard cars unless you really love them. Constantly clutching and shifting clutching and shifting. I have a Subaru which is nice for areas that see a lot of rain or snow, but really any FWD car would work just as well. Make sure you can afford maintenance costs of any car you buy. You might find an awesome BMW within in your budget, but what happens when you need new tires, alternator breaks, power windows stop working, etc. Personally I'm a fan of VW's, they/re great if you know how to work on cars.

rx7? :lol Waaaaay out of your budget.

EL Beefo

X-Frame said:
An old RX-7 would be a pretty risky commuter .. those rotary engines aren't known for being the most reliable.

If you can find one with low miles they can be reliable. I daily drive an '85 RX-7 and while it has some problems, it's not any worse than any other 25 year old car.

weekend_warrior said:
rx7? Waaaaay out of your budget.

He said an old RX-7. While 3rd gens go for $12,000+, $3500 would buy a decent 2nd gen or a great 1st gen. I paid $1500 for mine with 120k miles on it in great condition.

AcridMeat

Banned
Should mention I have also been trying to find another 190e 2.3l (what I have now) in better condition so we can take the great parts off of mine and put it on the new one.

It's a tough situation because it has new tires, brakes, and awesome Euro headlights. The thing most likely has a cracked head though so am a bit desperate to find a replacement. :lol

It's depressing, the car has such a clean interior, would never guess it had 300k on the chassis.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
black_13 said:
ugh turbo cars just sound awful with straight pipes.

Yeah, well thats just like, your opinion man.

Snapped these at work (except for the pics of the SLS, those are from a nearby Benz dealer);

dat ass

BCEQr.jpg

Trying out some new oil coolers

ZnNg3.jpg

Sg6pX.jpg

WDa0X.jpg

eTqI2.jpg

obtDR.jpg

2vAo9.jpg

3q6Dr.jpg

uJUJC.jpg

zgoxC.jpg

pX8Kh.jpg

uhp2E.jpg

gj8q9.jpg

Need an exhaust for your Audi?

Iq9FJ.jpg

oqlcz.jpg

riERe.jpg

B4Bq3.jpg

4dPx1.jpg

TWBGm.jpg

robox

Zyzyxxz said:
WAGON STYLE FUCK YEAH!

It's all about those Nissan Stagea's with the RB26DETT's dropped into them and a R34 front end conversion.

eh, wagons seem to encompass everything from suzuki alto k-cars, to mazda 3/axela, like above, to stagea estate class, mazda 5/premacy mini-mini vans to toyota alphard full sized minivans. engine isn't really a big focus. it's all about custom stylings; both exterior and interior. gone are the days of gaudy spocom style, and it's now more like the vip style that's so trendy these days.

rb26 stageas are more for option or doriten (a very recent issue had as a cover feature)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My buddies (who happen to be brothers) just made some pretty amazing pick ups. One got a BMW E30 318i, which is getting either an SR20 swap or a V8 swap out of a 740i, 540i, or X5. The other one got a 1995 MKIII Volkswagen GTI VR6. The GTI is a surprisingly punchy car still, but it needed a ton of work. The front strut towers are totally rusted up, with massive gashes going across the car - not exactly the safest car to drive.

The motor was healthy, and the gearbox was good - but the clutch was a royal pain in the ass, I thought it was too damn firm and pushy (I stalled it a whole bunch of times, hah). Anybody with an older GTI can comment on how the clutch is supposed to be? This one really battled against you, and while it caught quick and early, the catch point didn't last long. But it's at a shop now getting everything all fixed up. Not sure what's going to be done to the motor, though.

Zyzyxxz

Dang post pics of whatever engine swap he goes through with, haven't heard of the SR20 in a E30 but Makes sense though.

In other news: I saw a brand spanking new Alfa Romeo while driving (I live in the USA) and they aren't available here until 2012.

How the heck did he get it here legally?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Zyzyxxz said:
Dang post pics of whatever engine swap he goes through with, haven't heard of the SR20 in a E30 but Makes sense though.

In other news: I saw a brand spanking new Alfa Romeo while driving (I live in the USA) and they aren't available here until 2012.

Yeah, nothing unusual. Probably registered as a manufacturer's test car. I saw a Fiat 500 last year in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey coming out of a Ferrari dealership. I took a few pics of it until the drivers took off. Hah.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Zyzyxxz said:

Well I don't know what the situation in America is, but in Canada you can pretty much throw a dealer plate on any car (S15, R34) even if it isn't legal to drive here and be able to drive it on the streets. Dealer plates are like a one way ticket to awesome.

Pterion

I want to test drive the new mustang GT 5.0 just for fun, and the new GTI. I need more friends who are into nice cars. :(

Hi guys,

Been waiting to post in this thread for a long time (fuck me I'm gonna be a junior forever :lol ).

Here's my baby:

s2000frontedited.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

She's an AP1 Honda S2000 MY2002 with 48k miles. I got her in March with 39k miles. She's pretty much a garage queen and I love the hell out of her. Daily driving what amounts to a street legal race car is a lot of fun. She has the F20C engine which revs to 9000 RPM (fuel cut-off is 9200 RPM) and she's a rear wheel drive monster. I have her running on AP2V1 rims with 225's in the front and 255's in the rear (tons of grip). Right now she's lightly modded NA (modded air box, Skunk2 dual exhaust, DC Sports header) but I plan on getting a hardtop, coilovers and eventually a supercharger. Gong to start at 300whp on low boost with the S/C and work my way up to 10-13 PSI and 350-400 whp.

And yes, the transmission in this car is truly the best ever. The whole car is a dream to drive.

doitlive said:
Does that car respond well to boosting?
I've heard that the S2000 is squirrelly at high speeds.

Yes. The stock block can hold up to 500 whp reliably, and I've seen builds up to 700 whp on the stock block. :D Low boost gets you at least 100 whp on average, and depending on how aggressive your tune/boost psi is, it's pretty easy to have a nicely boosted daily driver. Sure it isn't super torquey (torque always remains about 100-150 behind horsepower), but it's extremely fast and satisfying. You really only need to upgrade your clutch past 300~ whp, and your diff if you want to launch. A friend of mine had a stock AP2 with NOTHING but a supercharger kit on it and he ran a 12.9 at Fontana (god awful track, part of it is uphill). Stock S2K's run 13.7-14.0. Suffice to say, a boosted S2000 will rape Evo's, STi's, and even Vettes. There's some guys that daily theirs with 500+ whp and whoop on GT-R's for fun.

Uh... it depends. If the road is shitty, it can be a little scary (RWD + no traction control + bumpy road + high speed is scary), but the car actually gets smoother the faster it gets. It really depends on your tires/suspension set-up. The AP1 is twitchy during high speed cornering (AP2 is quite a bit easier to control) but as long as you don't do throttle-lift induced oversteer, you'll be fine. It's a very challenging car to drive well, probably harder than almost any other high performance car, but it's ridiculously rewarding.

Hope that wasn't too big of a response for ya. :lol

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
DisgustipatedM3 said:
Hi guys,

Been waiting to post in this thread for a long time (fuck me I'm gonna be a junior forever :lol ).

Here's my baby:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/TOBuploads/s2000frontedited.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/TOBuploads/DSC02805.jpg[IMG]

She's an AP1 Honda S2000 MY2002 with 48k miles. I got her in March with 39k miles. She's pretty much a garage queen and I love the hell out of her. Daily driving what amounts to a street legal race car is a lot of fun. She has the F20C engine which revs to 9000 RPM (fuel cut-off is 9200 RPM) and she's a rear wheel drive monster. I have her running on AP2V1 rims with 225's in the front and 255's in the rear (tons of grip). Right now she's lightly modded NA (modded air box, Skunk2 dual exhaust, DC Sports header) but I plan on getting a hardtop, coilovers and eventually a supercharger. Gong to start at 300whp on low boost with the S/C and work my way up to 10-13 PSI and 350-400 whp.

And yes, the transmission in this car is truly the best ever. The whole car is a dream to drive.[/QUOTE]

Nice car, but I'd have to disagree on the transmission, theres a reason 6 speed getrags from the JZA80 Supra's still command $4000-6000.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Conceited said:
Well I don't know what the situation in America is, but in Canada you can pretty much throw a dealer plate on any car (S15, R34) even if it isn't legal to drive here and be able to drive it on the streets. Dealer plates are like a one way ticket to awesome.

Which alfa? If it was the 8C, thats been on sale here in the US for a few years actually. If it's one of the other alfa's, somebody has more money than sense.

Runus

fastford58 said:
I just picked this up for my school getabout. I loved the Speed6 back when it came out, but never sprung for one. I love this car too, but miss the AWD. Should still prove to be fun during the daily commute.

Love it. I am probably going to pick up a new Speed 3 late next year. Just gotta wait until my wife finishes up grad school and we get a little money.

DisgustipatedM3 said:
Yes. The stock block can hold up to 500 whp reliably, and I've seen builds up to 700 whp on the stock block. :D
I'm sorry man. I love S2000s as much as anyone (I've owned one for 4 years now), but you're wrong here. The stock internals will not stand up to 500 wheel hp reliably, nor will the stock differential hold up to that kind of power. Nor will the transmission. 500-700 hp is definitely achievable on a stock block, but those numbers are nowhere within the realm of reliability, especially if we're talking wheel horsepower here which takes into account drivetrain loss, so the numbers at the flywheel would be even higher.

If you want reliable numbers like that in an S2000, your best bet would be an LS-series V8 swap mated with a T56/4L60E and a beefier differential out back, like the Ford 8.8 IRS unit out of a Cobra.

Lunchbox

Banned
anyone got any experience with scions? took a chance and got a 2010 tc today.

first one in my family-friend circle to get these, so kinda nervous. but its pretty fun to drive up to now, engines really quiet

jySVc.jpg

B72UI.jpg

dismas

DisgustipatedM3 said:
Hi guys,

Here's my baby:

s2000frontedited.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

And yes, the transmission in this car is truly the best ever. The whole car is a dream to drive.
I think I saw one of these with the license "BYEH8RZ"

<3 S2000s

Funky Functionality said:
I'm sorry man. I love S2000s as much as anyone (I've owned one for 4 years now), but you're wrong here. The stock internals will not stand up to 500 wheel hp reliably, nor will the stock differential hold up to that kind of power. Nor will the transmission. 500-700 hp is definitely achievable on a stock block, but those numbers are nowhere within the realm of reliability, especially if we're talking wheel horsepower here which takes into account drivetrain loss, so the numbers at the flywheel would be even higher.

If you want reliable numbers like that in an S2000, your best bet would be an LS-series V8 swap mated with a T56/4L60E and a beefier differential out back, like the Ford 8.8 IRS unit out of a Cobra.

Came here to post this.

Conceited said:
Posted this in the GT5 thread, peopled seemed to enjoy it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53c6o_cNPEo

Senna, NSX, and the Nurburgring all in one.

That was beautiful, man. Had to forward that to a couple of my friends.

Conceited said:
Nice car, but I'd have to disagree on the transmission, theres a reason 6 speed getrags from the JZA80 Supra's still command $4000-6000.

I'm speaking in terms of shift feeling and quality; the S2000's transmission feels like it was made for a $200k car instead of a $40k one. Driving a well-maintained S2K transmission is pure bliss.

The 6sp getrag from the Supra fetches such a high price because of the power it can handle. It's an incredibly strong transmission. But I wouldn't say it's as good to drive as the S2000's.

Funky Functionality said:

Sorry, I guess reliable was a bad choice of words. I've seen builds around 400whp on the stock block that're reliable, but I guess saying 500 whp on the stock block being reliable was stretching it a bit. My bad.

And yeah, the diff and transmission will definitely give out eventually at 500+ whp. :lol I'm not a fan of launching the S2000 though so I think if you treated it right the diff would hold. And yeah, I wasn't speaking of bhp (flywheel), but rwhp. :D

And I definitely agree about the LS swap. All of my friends think I'm crazy for dreaming of doing it, but once I graduate college I wouldn't mind getting rid of the boosted F20 and putting an LS7 in. It'd be a ton of work and cost a good $10-13k but after seeing an LS7 swapped S2000, I really do think it'd be a perfect match. LS7 isn't much heavier than the F20 and GM says if you build it up a bit, it can safely rev to 8k RPM. It'd be a dream to have 450 whp (STOCK, before bolt-ons) and all of that world-crushing LSx torque in my 2700 lb S2000. With a built diff and the T56 tranny it'd be better than having a turbo build and I'd guess about 50x more reliable. Plus the gas mileage would actually INCREASE from stock. C6 Z06's get about 28-30 mpg on the highway, and they weigh 3200-3300 lbs... so 500 lbs would mean the S2000 would hopefully get about 33-36 (maybe more?) mpg on the highway and low 20's in the city. For 450whp, that'd be absolutely bonkers. :lol

Are you on S2000 International btw? And again, my apologies for the giant essays. I really love to talk to other car enthusiasts, hearing their opinions and knowledge while also learning new things about cars.

the_log_ride said:
Disgustipated, you on S2ki? I used to post on there. :lol

Are you in CA? If so, are you going to the homecoming?

Yes sir, I'm on S2ki + located in CA. Screen-name = Disgustipated, I troll the Car Talk/Street Encounters/S2K Talk/Southern California forums mostly. :D Do you have an S2K?

I don't have a reserved spot for homecoming + I don't really have the time/resources to go to it I don't think. I just started the Fall semester at school and am absolutely loaded down with 16 units worth of classes. Plus I'm spending a ton on books and living expenses. FML :lol

DisgustipatedM3 said:
Yes sir, I'm on S2ki + located in CA. Screen-name = Disgustipated, I troll the Car Talk/Street Encounters/S2K Talk/Southern California forums mostly. :D Do you have an S2K?

I don't have a reserved spot for homecoming + I don't really have the time/resources to go to it I don't think. I just started the Fall semester at school and am absolutely loaded down with 16 units worth of classes. Plus I'm spending a ton on books and living expenses. FML :lol

no worries, mate... i'll take lots of pics when i'm there :)

i hardly ever post in s2ki, either... Just been dropping in lately to get a feel for the people going to homecoming and what not...

Ovid

Is it me or does the back of the new Camaro's look fucking awful?
2n9az9e.jpg

When you see the vehicle in person, the rear width looks incredibly small. Such a turn off.

AcridMeat

Banned
To be honest it looks the same to me, which I never liked in the first place.

I have a few updates to my daily driver situation.

We sent my little 190e to the retirement home (being crushed). :(
I do have a couple of memorabilia though, the hood ornament and my key.

We found an Alfa 164 with 88k miles, my dad had already gone and looked at it/test drove it and said it runs great. I've just been hesitant because I know as soon as something goes wrong I'll be in trouble with money. A bit funny because I was the one who found the car.

I have also recently been trying to find a zx3 Focus. We never got a response from one that looked really nice, had a 5 speed with 95k.

I tell ya this search has been a real pain in the ass.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
fastford58 said:
Welcome to the MS club! I got my Speed6 in January of last year and love it.

What all are you gonna do with it?

TomServo

Bought my first import yesterday.

viemw0.jpg

'07 RX-8 GT w/ 25K on the clock. Was on the fence about it until the test drive. Engine sounds amazing, car handles amazing, and the thing is in pristine condition.

Former GM engineer (Milford Proving Grounds, Warren Tech Center, etc), so it was tough not going after my usual ground pounding V8, but I wanted something different. Besides, I had been stuck in an SUV for a couple of years, and it feels great to be back down low where I belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom