• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Pterion said:
So I just drove a 2011 WRX sedan (limited edition). Fun ride, but not what I was expecting. Wished for :
1) more ''refinement'' (spartan interior, despite leather seat and all that. Noisy ride, and not the good kind of noisy)
2) stiffer wheel/road feel (turning the wheel felt like turning through butter). I want a stiff BMW feel, damn it.
3) more ''oomph'' when accelerating (yea, the car is fast, but my butt dyno wasn't as impressed. I was spoiled forever by the 335i and S4. *sad face* )

It's all good, I'm glad you got to drive one. You're dead on about the refinement, WRX's don't have shit in them. You're also on the money about the road noise, I've been hoping they'd have made some improvments since 2005. It's difficult to hear the fine details in music while driving. As for the steering, OMG WTF U R A FUKING IDIOT!!!

kidding. I understand how subjective the feel of the wheel can be, and what a turn off it can quickly become. That said, I've always been impressed with the WRX's handeling and responsive steering.

Pterion

Gouty said:
It's all good, I'm glad you got to drive one. You're dead on about the refinement, WRX's don't have shit in them. You're also on the money about the road noise, I've been hoping they'd have made some improvments since 2005. It's difficult to hear the fine details in music while driving. As for the steering, OMG WTF U R A FUKING IDIOT!!!

kidding. I understand how subjective the feel of the wheel can be, and what a turn off it can quickly become. That said, I've always been impressed with the WRX's handeling and responsive steering.
Did you drive a 2011 yet? When are you getting one?

The WRX looks mean and awesome in real life (don't trust the pics), but you already knew that...

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
No I haven't driven one yet, like I said my dealership is laughably bad. When I asked about them in July they said they'd already had one traded in and proceeded to show me a used 2008 Legacy. Later, they tried to get me to buy a used 2009 WRX and when they asked why I wanted a 2011 over the 09, I informed them of the new body style which they said they were unaware of. :lol They also said they weren’t going to be allocated any of the 2011’s until they got rid of their current stock, and considering how little they know of their own product, that wont be happening anytime soon. Here in Florida AWD isn’t really much of a selling point either.
My girlfriend and I will be moving in July so I might just end up with a 2012.

Pterion

Gouty said:
No I haven't driven one yet, like I said my dealership is laughably bad. When I asked about them in July they said they'd already had one traded in and proceeded to show me a used 2008 Legacy. Later, they tried to get me to buy a used 2009 WRX and when they asked why I wanted a 2011 over the 09, I informed them of the new body style which they said they were unaware of. :lol They also said they weren’t going to be allocated any of the 2011’s until they got rid of their current stock, and considering how little they know of their own product, that wont be happening anytime soon. Here in Florida AWD isn’t really much of a selling point either.
My girlfriend and I will be moving in July so I might just end up with a 2012.
I see. Is she going to be a fellow in july?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
naw

So whats up with you, you've been right there with me talking about a new ride. Getting any closer?
Speaking of S4's, my neighbor had an amazing RS4, I want to say it was an 07. Anyway, he wrecked it a couple of months ago. When I heard the news I felt like a unicorn had died. That car was godly.

Pterion

Gouty said:
naw

So whats up with you, you've been right there with me talking about a new ride. Getting any closer?
Speaking of S4's, my neighbor had an amazing RS4, I want to say it was an 07. Anyway, he wrecked it a couple of months ago. When I heard the news I felt like a unicorn had died. That car was godly.
I dislike myself big time. I've got several colleagues who are upgrading their rides left and right, but I try to play the cautious card when I could very well drive a S4 tomorrow and still maintain my current lifestyle. Financial responsibility isn't fun. :( I'm usually so busy with work that I don't think about that situation too often, but whenever I get some free time, it haunts me. I love driving, I love cars, and my heart says go for it. Brain says heck no! Still got 3 years and a half before graduating from residency, but don't feel like waiting that long. I may lower my standards (used luxury, or new non-luxury), or more likely just complain about my lack of financial balls for the next 3 years... Not very surgeon-like in terms of attitude, but I like to think that I'm special, haha.

But hey, testdrives are fun and free. :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gouty: You forgot to mention the obnoxiously long shifter on the manual WRX.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
AlphaSnake said:
Gouty: You forgot to mention the obnoxiously long shifter on the manual WRX.

I didn't forget anything, I'm blind to the WRX's flaws. Blame Pterion, he has a more sensible take on that car.

short throw option

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Debating whether to be sensible and get a used Honda Element.

Or be less than sensible and geting a used 350Z.

deviant1

The 08-11 WRX is a significant step up in interior refinement when compared to the 02-07 WRX. The WRX is essentially an econo box with a good motor and suspension bolted on. If you're expecting a luxurious interior out of any Subaru, you're gonna be disappointed.

Subaru really messed up the stock tune of the WRX for 2011, no doubt in attempts to get better EPA gas mileage ratings. Mine noticeably falls flat between 5000 and 6500 RPM. That's an easy fix, all you need is an off the shelf map or custom tune.

The throw on the shifter is a bit long, but I do appreciate how smooth the shifting is. Both my 02's and the dozens of pre 2008 Imprezas/WRXs I've ever driven have always been sloppy and extremely notchy, and they all require you to fight to get into 1st or reverse.

The few times I've driven my 02 wagon since getting the 11 have just made all of the issues with that car even more glaringly bad. I don't miss my G35 at all, but then again I don't really care for any of the luxury car features or view my car as a status symbol.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
deviant1 said:
The WRX is essentially an econo box with a good motor and suspension bolted on. If you're expecting a luxurious interior out of any Subaru, you're gonna be disappointed.

I think that's taking it a bit far. I recently drove the top end version of the Focus, a true econo box and there is simply no comparison to the build quality of the interior. The Focus felt like a cheap box of rattling plastic, whereas the WRX has a very solid feel to its interior. The Subaru is without frills, for sure. It is not a luxurious vehicle. But to say its anything like the insides of a sub $18,000 car is confusing the lack of luxury with a shoddy construction.

PS, wheres the pics of your car?!?!

edit: I'm going to leave my PS up there to let everyone know what an idiot I am. Nice ride friend.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hey guys, I posted a couple months ago about my search for a new car, well it seems I finally have it settled. Picked up a 1994 318is 5 speed. It's my first manual car, though I've driven manual cars several times. I went on my first drive in it last night, I'm so happy with it. :D

deviant1

Gouty said:
I think that's taking it a bit far. I recently drove the top end version of the Focus, a true econo box and there is simply no comparison to the build quality of the interior. The Focus felt like a cheap box of rattling plastic, whereas the WRX has a very solid feel to its interior. The Subaru is without frills, for sure. It is not a luxurious vehicle. But to say its anything like the insides of a sub $18,000 car is confusing the lack of luxury with a shoddy construction.

Maybe I was being a bit too harsh. The interior quality is definitely better than the entry level compacts currently out there, but it's not gonna impress anyone who might be comparing it to an Audi or BMW, or even a VW for that matter. Subaru's interiors are pretty spartan and hard plastics are abound, but they have gotten much better.

It doesn't bother me though, I like the simple nature of these cars. I don't need the countless gadgets most car companies love to shove into cars nowadays. My parents have a 2010 Accord Sedan and the dash in that thing is an overcomplicated monstrosity that looks like the cockpit of a plane.

I'm having a really hard time deciding what car to get in the next year. I get discount pricing on domestic cars from my work so the Focus ST and Mustang GT are at the top of my domestic list but I'm such a whore for Japanese cars because they've been nothing but good and reliable for all of my family and friends.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm having a really hard time deciding what car to get in the next year. I get discount pricing on domestic cars from my work so the Focus ST and Mustang GT are at the top of my domestic list but I'm such a whore for Japanese cars because they've been nothing but good and reliable for all of my family and friends.
The Focus ST won't be out until 2012, last I checked.

Going to the South Florida International Auto Show tomorrow with my parents, maybe I can convince them that the 500 is a safe car.

robox

ChiTownBuffalo said:

get the sensible car.
then do unsensible things to it, like slam it and rollin' it on dubs.
as long as you don't get the plastic fender version, it's good.

i looked briefly into slamming an element, as i had been considering one myself. but it looks like it's gonna be a custom job since there aren't many off the shelf options available.

AlphaSnake

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Get the 350Z, but make sure it's a 2007 or 2008. The VQ35HR is a much more responsive and quicker motor than the VQ35DE in the 2003-2006 models. I have a 2006 350Z myself, but should hopefully have a 370Z next week if everything goes well!

:)

AlphaSnake

Any photoshoppers can do away with the nasty chrome accents on the front and back? This is the new Chrysler 300C. I think it'll look quite nice without all of that ugly chrome.

chrysler300c.b08.kgp.ed.jpg

chrysler300c.b01.kgp.ed.jpg

Pterion

doitlive said:
Do both and get a G35.
I think it looks way better than the Z.
So disappointed with that car. Criminally overrated imo. A crime I say!

So I don't know what's wrong with me, but I wasn't all that thrilled with my albeit short and limited E46 M3 testdrive. Maybe I'm a torque guy? Need to try a 335d and see if that's what's really fun for me, because the only cars I've had serious fun with are considered low end torque monsters (335i, S4).

kylej

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
This is the new Chrysler 300C. I think it'll look quite nice without all of that ugly chrome.

It'll look OK until the fat person that owns it opens the door and steps out. 300C has to have the highest BMI per owner of any car in America.

Zyzyxxz

kylej said:
It'll look OK until the fat person that owns it opens the door and steps out. 300C has to have the highest BMI per owner of any car in America.

true that :lol

but honestly I think it was a really nice rear profile! The front end looks a little bland though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The new 300C looks like the Mercedes Benz E-Class to me.

Anyways, I sat in a Nissan Leaf today. It's bigger than I thought, slightly bigger than a Versa to me. It was at the South Florida International Auto Show in their "green cars" area. There was a black Chevrolet Volt, too, but that was sectioned off and I couldn't sit in it. :-(

They also had some Fiat 500s on display. I think I'm in love. :D

Zyzyxxz

Groupon has a deal for the LA Autoshow, only $6 per ticket until midnight!

Its gonna be this Thanksgiving weekend coming up and I plan to attend because I'm looking at several possible cars in my future. Either the Hyundai Sonata, Sonata Hybrid, Fiat 500, etc.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
Groupon has a deal for the LA Autoshow, only $6 per ticket until midnight!

Its gonna be this Thanksgiving weekend coming up and I plan to attend because I'm looking at several possible cars in my future. Either the Hyundai Sonata, Sonata Hybrid, Fiat 500, etc.
If anyone's going, be sure to get some photos of the 500.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm thinking about going to the Philly auto show but I just have one question, are the cars the same throughout the entire time it's going?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
To anyone in LA, know that you guys are getting the first confirmed Fiat dealership! :D

Chrysler Group LLC today unveiled Motor Village of Los Angeles, the company's newest dealership in the United States.

When Motor Village opens for business in the first quarter of 2011, this company-owned dealership in central Los Angeles will not only sell and service vehicles, it will serve as a grand showplace for the Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge, Ram Truck, Fiat and Mopar® brands.

This dealership provides Chrysler Group brands with the platform to try new, innovative and experimental displays, materials, furnishings, processes and customer services. Each Chrysler Group brand will have its own, unique and separate salon. The brand salons will remind customers of the eye-catching displays they would typically see at a major auto show.

The four-level Los Angeles Motor Village is strategically located at 2025 South Figueroa St., just blocks from the Los Angeles Convention Center, the Staples Center arena and the L.A. Live sports and entertainment district in downtown Los Angeles. The area attracts millions of visitors each year.

When it opens for business, the Motor Village will make an immediate statement. The dealership's focal point is a dramatic, five-story glass tower that will be used to display Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram Truck and Fiat vehicles. Three large LED reader boards placed atop the glass tower are designed to spread each brand's logo and message to everyone driving on the I-110 freeway that runs along the west side of the dealership. More than 350,000 vehicles drive past the dealership daily.

"The Los Angeles Motor Village goes above and beyond the traditional Chrysler Group dealership," said Peter Grady, Chrysler Group's Vice President of Network Development and Fleet. "This dealership creates a presence both inside and out. Our customers will experience our brands in unique salons that reflect each brand's identity and character."

Chrysler Group in January began renovations to this building, which once housed a Pierce-Arrow dealership in the 1920s. This showcase dealership will mark the return of the Chrysler Group brands to central Los Angeles after an absence of about 10 years.

The Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands will occupy the first floor of the dealership, while the Ram Truck brand will be situated on the second floor. In addition, the Fiat brand will have its own, separate entrance to a unique studio. The salons will take on the character of each brand. The Jeep salon, for example, will feature Jeep models situated on realistic-looking rock slabs that you might find in Moab, Utah. The Fiat brand will feature a style center and terrace, while deep, rich woods are prominently used in the Chrysler salon area. The dealership also features a convenient café and a Mopar Speedshop, a showcase for Mopar performance parts, accessories and apparel.

Each brand salon will be stylishly marked by new brand signs and kiosk-like information and merchandise towers. The salons also will be equipped with a powerful touchscreen technology called iShowroom. Customers can access feature and competitive information via an advanced interactive kiosk, and even select their vehicle of choice.

The Chrysler Group is holding a reception in the dealership Tuesday, Nov. 16 as part of its activities during the Los Angeles Auto Show media preview days.

Anyone have the newer Chevy Malibu? I think it came out in late 2008?

I'm interested in it (I have an '05 MB C230 now), and I really like what I've seen so far. Wondering if there are similar alternatives in the same price range.

Zyzyxxz

Major Williams said:
Anyone have the newer Chevy Malibu? I think it came out in late 2008?

I'm interested in it (I have an '05 MB C230 now), and I really like what I've seen so far. Wondering if there are similar alternatives in the same price range.

main competitors would be the Ford Fusion and Hyundai Sonata for me. I wouldn't really consider the Altima, Camry, or Accord because they lack features for their base price which the Fusion and especially the Sonata have. Then there are looks too and I personally can't stand the new Accord and Camry.

Honestly I would give a serious look at the Hyundai Sonata and shake off any preconceptions you may have about Hyundai, with such a warranty and standard-features list you can't go wrong with its price.

Zyzyxxz said:
main competitors would be the Ford Fusion and Hyundai Sonata for me. I wouldn't really consider the Altima, Camry, or Accord because they lack features for their base price which the Fusion and especially the Sonata have. Then there are looks too and I personally can't stand the new Accord and Camry.

Honestly I would give a serious look at the Hyundai Sonata and shake off any preconceptions you may have about Hyundai, with such a warranty and standard-features list you can't go wrong with its price.
Thanks, yeah I've heard lots of good things about Hyundai in the past few years. I'll give it a look.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Major Williams said:
Thanks, yeah I've heard lots of good things about Hyundai in the past few years. I'll give it a look.

I second the Hyundia suggestion. Best bang for buck. All the opinions I've heard/read from reviewers and more importantly owners, have been fantastic.

Malibu is a good car but it's getting old and doesn't quite stack up like it used to.

Huggers

Ok GAF, I have £3000 to spend on a new car. What should I get....? I am thinking Golf GTI, Audi A3 or Lexus IS Sport. I have found reasonable looking cars for around my budget, some slightly over. What would be your recommendations. I drive about a fair bit but know little about cars and really go purely on looks.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
What a weird coincidence, I just passed by it today! Only the sign is up but I know I'll be there to test drive a Fiat 500 when I get the chance!

I really want a Fiat 500 but I gotta see if I can live with its practicality.
I've seen it in person, it looks a little bigger than I thought it would be. It's supposed to have more interior space than a Mini, despite being smaller than a Mini.

Here's a pic of the Fiat studio.

Sam500_Motor_Village_LA.jpg

AlphaSnake

GAF, I am disappoint. My 370Z was sold. But it's not even my dealer's fault. =(

Last week I went to the dealer I bought my 350Z from, since they treated me so well all those years ago, I figured why not. The guy who sold me my car remembered me well and is now the manager there. Awesome. So the 370Z I wanted had to be located. My dealer found it and asked the other dealer to hold it and that they will be purchasing it off them (common practice). So I went in days later, put the deposit down, started the loan approval process.

Yesterday I get a phone call and the great news was the loan approval I got was like ridiculously awesome. Far beyond what I imagined. The horrible news...the dealer who held my car sold it! A fully loaded Black Cherry 370Z is so hard to come by, and all of the others are automatics, which I do not want. They're still looking for me. But it looks likely that I'll be getting a 2011, which is nice only if I can get the same deal.

So close. Yet so far. =(

AlphaSnake said:
GAF, I am disappoint. My 370Z was sold. But it's not even my dealer's fault. =(

Last week I went to the dealer I bought my 350Z from, since they treated me so well all those years ago, I figured why not. The guy who sold me my car remembered me well and is now the manager there. Awesome. So the 370Z I wanted had to be located. My dealer found it and asked the other dealer to hold it and that they will be purchasing it off them (common practice). So I went in days later, put the deposit down, started the loan approval process.

Yesterday I get a phone call and the great news was the loan approval I got was like ridiculously awesome. Far beyond what I imagined. The horrible news...the dealer who held my car sold it! A fully loaded Black Cherry 370Z is so hard to come by, and all of the others are automatics, which I do not want. They're still looking for me. But it looks likely that I'll be getting a 2011, which is nice only if I can get the same deal.

So close. Yet so far. =(

On the plus side, I believe the premium charge for black cherry has been removed from the 2011 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom