• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
TomServo said:
Bought my first import yesterday.

http://i56.tinypic.com/viemw0.jpg[/IMG

'07 RX-8 GT w/ 25K on the clock. Was on the fence about it until the test drive. Engine sounds amazing, car handles amazing, and the thing is in pristine condition.

Former GM engineer (Milford Proving Grounds, Warren Tech Center, etc), so it was tough not going after my usual ground pounding V8, but I wanted something different. Besides, I had been stuck in an SUV for a couple of years, and it feels great to be back down low where I belong.[/QUOTE]
Watch the oil consumption like a hawk, wait two minutes after turning the car on before driving it, ditto for waiting two minutes before shutting the engine off, and make sure to maintain it to the best of your abilities.

Or just swap a LS2 into it and call it a day.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm selling my 06' 350Z next year and parting out the mods. I'll be getting either an E92 BMW M3 6MT or Audi S5 6MT (Supercharged). Hopefully by next June the supercharged S5s will be available in the US, as they have been in Europe and the US Convertible for quite some time now.

Hmmm...
BMW-M3-Coupe.jpg

audi-s5-17.jpg

AlphaSnake

Pterion said:
M3 vs S5? Come on now, you can't be serious. Get the M3 and never look back.

SPExk.png

They're both mad cock cars. I like both cars for the following reasons:

BMW M3

Pros:
Fantastic V8
Very quick
Razor edge precision
Fantastic 6-speed manual
Aggressive looks
Sounds superb
Rear Wheel Drive

Cons:
Interior is somewhat plain
3-Series popularity dilutes exclusivity factor

Audi S5

Pros:
Supercharged V6 is underrated at nearly 400HP
ECU Tune + Pulley makes gobs of power for cheap.
Beautiful interior
Beautiful exterior
Smooth 6-speed manual

Con:
Manual not as smooth as BMW
All-Wheel Drive, lacks fun of RWD
Said to be prone to understeer
Potential long-term reliability of supercharger setup?

TomServo

reilo said:
Watch the oil consumption like a hawk, wait two minutes after turning the car on before driving it, ditto for waiting two minutes before shutting the engine off, and make sure to maintain it to the best of your abilities.

Yup, knew that going into it. Not sure if I want to premix to be on the safe side, but the rest of it is very livable. I typically did that with my LS1 f-body anyway.

reilo said:
Or just swap a LS2 into it and call it a day.

Nah, this car is so different from anything else I've driven that I enjoy it based on novelty alone.

AlphaSnake said:
They're both mad cock cars. I like both cars for the following reasons:

BMW M3

Pros:
Fantastic V8
Very quick
Razor edge precision
Fantastic 6-speed manual
Aggressive looks
Sounds superb
Rear Wheel Drive

Cons:
Interior is somewhat plain
3-Series popularity dilutes exclusivity factor

Audi S5

Pros:
Supercharged V6 is underrated at nearly 400HP
ECU Tune + Pulley makes gobs of power for cheap.
Beautiful interior
Beautiful exterior
Smooth 6-speed manual

Con:
Manual not as smooth as BMW
All-Wheel Drive, lacks fun of RWD
Said to be prone to understeer
Potential long-term reliability of supercharger setup?

If you cared about exclusivity, you would get either car though. An XF would be a better choice, no?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how does the S5 drive? I've heard bad things about lack of feel on Audis, but maybe thats just the base models and the S's are better? My wife's 2010 A3 is gorgeous inside, but shitty to drive, you can steer with one finger and no feel from the road at all.

AlphaSnake

akachan ningen said:
If you cared about exclusivity, you would get either car though. An XF would be a better choice, no?

Apples, meet oranges.

And an XF is not the least bit exclusive. Not in NY, at least.

AlphaSnake

mrklaw said:
how does the S5 drive? I've heard bad things about lack of feel on Audis, but maybe thats just the base models and the S's are better? My wife's 2010 A3 is gorgeous inside, but shitty to drive, you can steer with one finger and no feel from the road at all.

Drives very well. Handles solid, with very good steering feel. As good as the BMW? No. But the Audi is geared towards being a bit more grand tourer/luxury car, as opposed to the BMW which is more sport than luxury. I do believe the M3 is what I'm leaning towards, though. Besides, my girlfriend is buying a 2011 Audi S4 next March, so it wouldn't make sense to have essentially the same two cars between us.

Also, someone PMed me asking what I do. To answer that question, I'm just a black man doin' his thing, baby. Barack Obama, motherfucker. I'm the president of hittin' dat ass.

Here's my favorite mode of transportation. 2005 Honda S2000. Still runs beautifully after 5 years. I expect it to do so for many years to come. I know there were a couple other S2000 drivers here in GAF, too, so post 'em up!

golem

AlphaSnake said:
Hopefully by next June the supercharged S5s will be available in the US, as they have been in Europe and the US Convertible for quite some time now.
Im really starting to doubt that will ever happen.

AlphaSnake

golem said:
Im really starting to doubt that will ever happen.

It was confirmed a few months ago by an Audi exec. Talking about the S-cars, he said the S4 is the first range of supercharged cars Audi USA gets, and that we can expect to see other "S" cars to get the supercharger too next year. We already have the S5 Cab Supercharged. They're just phasing out production of ye old and faithful 4.2L mill, since the new 4.2L will now pack nearly 380HP in the new A8.

Either way, on another note. My brother gave me his BMW M6 for the next week while he's away in Aruba. God I love this car. It makes my Z feel like a shit-box, it's so refined. Mmmmm, 500HP, screaming redline. :)

golem

AlphaSnake said:
It was confirmed a few months ago by an Audi exec. Talking about the S-cars, he said the S4 is the first range of supercharged cars Audi USA gets, and that we can expect to see other "S" cars to get the supercharger too next year. We already have the S5 Cab Supercharged. They're just phasing out production of ye old and faithful 4.2L mill, since the new 4.2L will now pack nearly 380HP in the new A8.
I havent been keeping much with S5 developments (since I picked up the M3 haha) but it seems to me that they've always been saying its just around the corner. From what I gather it just doesnt make financial sense to change engines midway through a production cycle and have to redo emissions/crash/etc testing.

Although, even if it was the supercharged engine, it's just not enough hp for a car in that price range right now.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
I'm selling my 06' 350Z next year and parting out the mods. I'll be getting either an E92 BMW M3 6MT or Audi S5 6MT (Supercharged). Hopefully by next June the supercharged S5s will be available in the US, as they have been in Europe and the US Convertible for quite some time now.

Hmmm...
http://www.lasvegassportscarrentals.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/BMW-M3-Coupe.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.tuningnews.net/wallpaper/1024x768/audi-s5-17.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Wait for this to come out:

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/09/audiquattrof3410-ps-as9281011600opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/29/audi-quattro-concept/

On a real note, I want to get a M3 bad. That's my next car. If not the E92, then a E46 that I will swap a Ford 5.0 V8 Crate engine (412bhp) into it. Yeah I'm nuts :lol.

So I've been wanting to buy a spoiler for my altima. It's alittle over 100 bucks on eBay. Should I buy it and go to a mechanic and tell him to install it?

Thanks in advance!

salva said:
So I've been wanting to buy a spoiler for my altima. It's alittle over 100 bucks on eBay. Should I buy it and go to a mechanic and tell him to install it?

Thanks in advance!
It's an Altima, so no.
If it is the coupe, it'll look like you are trying to compensate for not getting a G coupe.

Bad_Boy said:
didnt know they made hard top s2000's. i probably would of ended up getting one if i knew that. :lol
The hard top has always been a factory option, and there are several aftermarket hard tops as well. There is no retractable hard top or coupe version, though. Just a removable shell.

Zyzyxxz

I dont know... I don't see that much Lotus in it.

The numbers are nice, especially 3600 lbs and a 5.0 V8? with a folding hardtop? Nice.

I can see this is where Lotus will start trying to become Ferrari and go away from their hardcore track-tuned roots as they said they would.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That lambo concept and the espirit are straight sex. I would do terrible things to lovely people to own either.

golem

salva said:
I seen some Altimas that look nice with a spoiler. Don't have a coupe.
Get what you like.

A body shop will do a better job probably installing the spoiler than a mechanic. Get a few quotes if possible.

AlphaSnake

Ben Collins hired by 5th Gear. That is epic and awesome. I cannot wait for the season premier next week.

Zyzyxxz

twinturbo2 said:
I want one of the new Fiat 500's when they finally come to America, is that wrong?

hell no! Fuel efficient, fun to drive, and easy to park? What's not to like.

I'd take one over a current Mini anyday to avoid looking like a hipster.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:

Yeah, but I'm waiting for the all-electric version to come out. It should be out in 2012.

Damn, I can't make up my mind. Volt, 500 EV, Leaf... one of those three will be mine.

Zyzyxxz

twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, but I'm waiting for the all-electric version to come out. It should be out in 2012.

Damn, I can't make up my mind. Volt, 500 EV, Leaf... one of those three will be mine.

I'd go with the one that has the best battery warranty and policies because that will be the most important factor in long term ownership and resalability

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
twinturbo2 said:

I'd give it at least 10 years before buying an all-electric car. Just from what I've seen in the industry.

Zyzyxxz said:

you forgot the best part, that amazing interior.

fiat-500-interior.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
I'd go with the one that has the best battery warranty and policies because that will be the most important factor in long term ownership and resalability
In that case, both the Leaf and Volt have 8 year/100K mile battery warranties, I should lean towards those, then.

Meanwhile, here's some spy shots of the 2012 Volkswagen New Beetle.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/10/spy-photos-2012-volkswagen-new-beetle.html

It looks a lot more like the old Beetle than the old New Beetle ever did, imho.

Volkswagen%20Beetle%20%20111.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
well didnt they say it was going to be 20-30k? and being a scion isnt that big of a deal, everyone knows it's still toyota.

Yeah, well the production model is probably going to be totally different and now that it's a Scion it will probably look like shit. Not to mention the horrible marketing that they are going to have.

They originally were targeting below $20K but that wasn't realistic.

doitlive said:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/10/report-ft-86-to-be-badged-as-scion-arrive-with-higher-than-exp/
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/toyotaft86live_01_opta.jpg[IMG]
One of the coolest cars is now going to be a Scion and going to be $25K :-( What the fuck Toyota?[/QUOTE]

[B] There are also rumors of a new price point – as high as $25,000 [/B]– and the possibility that the Subaru version will only be available in Europe.

Don't really care that it's gonna be badged as a Scion, but the bump in price sucks. Oh well, let's see how this plays out.

the_log_ride said:
There are also rumors of a new price point – as high as $25,000 – and the possibility that the Subaru version will only be available in Europe.

Don't really care that it's gonna be badged as a Scion, but the bump in price sucks. Oh well, let's see how this plays out.

It's not a bump since an official price was never set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom