• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No more live axle?
Shit got real.

Makes sense of they want more than Mustang fans.

They finally added the feature people who will never buy Mustangs under any circumstance always wanted. Now people can really focus in on complaining about its weight.

J-Rzez

They finally added the feature people who will never buy Mustangs under any circumstance always wanted. Now people can really focus in on complaining about its weight.

Naw, that's in their gameplan too, knocking down it's weight next gen. IRS is coming, there's not a doubt in the world, and I'll be very interested in what Ford does with it considering what they've accomplished with the ox-cart rear in the car now.

I hate to say it, but it's damned impressive, even after driving just a 5.0. I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt that a Mustang is the best bang for the buck out there. V6, 5.0, Boss, GT500. All of them.

I mean hell, a V6 with the perf option handed the 86 it's ass on a platter during MT's track test. Considering those can be had for under MSRP, it'd clock in cheaper than an 86 as well. Not to mention the interior plastics feel superior than the FR-S, and at least as good or better than the BRZ.

Which brings me to the next point how bad Toyota screwed up that 86. Considering the numbers it put out in the shootout, that car belongs to be priced at 20-22k, their original target price. Naturally, the magazine gave it the nod, but I'm sure that's just a fostering pat on the shoulder to inspire Toyota to continue trying to make sports cars and eventually make cars of the caliber they did in the 90's.

N-Bomb

ieHl0l.jpg

5fh7cl.jpg

More to come.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naw, that's in their gameplan too, knocking down it's weight next gen. IRS is coming, there's not a doubt in the world, and I'll be very interested in what Ford does with it considering what they've accomplished with the ox-cart rear in the car now.

I hate to say it, but it's damned impressive, even after driving just a 5.0. I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt that a Mustang is the best bang for the buck out there. V6, 5.0, Boss, GT500. All of them.

I mean hell, a V6 with the perf option handed the 86 it's ass on a platter during MT's track test. Considering those can be had for under MSRP, it'd clock in cheaper than an 86 as well. Not to mention the interior plastics feel superior than the FR-S, and at least as good or better than the BRZ.

Which brings me to the next point how bad Toyota screwed up that 86. Considering the numbers it put out in the shootout, that car belongs to be priced at 20-22k, their original target price. Naturally, the magazine gave it the nod, but I'm sure that's just a fostering pat on the shoulder to inspire Toyota to continue trying to make sports cars and eventually make cars of the caliber they did in the 90's.
Idk, if you attach a muffler to the 86, it would probably roast the V6 in the corners =V

I'm skeptical of Mustang weight critics anyways. They bitched mercilessly when the GT gained like 80 pounds from the move to the 5.0. You know, despite gaining 115 horsepower.

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone know a good body shop in the NY/NJ area, need to get my rear bumper sanded and painted after backing into a concrete wall. I also have a tiny spot where the paint came off in the rear hatch due to the same incident, do I have to get the whole liftgate painted?
I drive a small crossover, and it's white, so no metallic paint.

What kind of damage am I looking at?

Angry Grimace

Anyone know a good body shop in the NY/NJ area, need to get my rear bumper sanded and painted after backing into a concrete wall. I also have a tiny spot where the paint came off in the rear hatch due to the same incident, do I have to get the whole liftgate painted?

Body work? A first born son or an attractive daugher + hefty dowry.

N-Bomb

lol I like N-Bomb's new avatar.

It's the logo of a cheapshit line of tools sold by some store chain here. Makes me lol every time I see it on a jack or socket set or something.

Minus Parts what are they charging you in just labor?

No idea. I think I was quoted 40-60 hours. Right now I'm up to $9500 deposit for the new drivetrain. Gonna have to tack on a new hood and some other stuff to that. Bought some parts myself. New lighter flywheel, new clutch I think. Etc.

What are you building N-bomb?

A 'better-than' STi. :)

Sidebar: more pics!

vNQPjl.jpg

Legends abound of an engine in this area.

WSEg5l.jpg

Ohzuul.jpg

There was once an automatic transmission here.

jCxEsl.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy good tools?

ameratsu

It's the logo of a cheapshit line of tools sold by some store chain here. Makes me lol every time I see it on a jack or socket set or something.

Being Canadian as well, my toolbox is full of powerfist stuff. The only powerfist thing I've broken is a torque wrench, and princess auto replaced it for free even though it was my fault.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Where in NY would you like to have this done? What kind of car?

A friend's shop just did work on painting my GF's M3 sideskirts for her 335 Coupe and they came out superb. She has a white car too, and the color match is just precise - on top of that, the shop painted the skirts without the car. The shop is in Great Neck, NY. PM me if you'd like for the details. Here's a pic of her car when I installed the skirts:

392384_10150925348403644_954836437_n.jpg

TheBear

Hey AutoGAF, what's the difference between the BRZ and the 86? Australian pricing for the 86 has been revealed and for $30k it's a great deal. So far as I can tell the BRZ is pretty much the same car, just a few minor exterior changes (haven't seen the interior). Anything else? What do you guys think of them?

coldfoot

Banned
Where in NY would you like to have this done? What kind of car?

A friend's shop just did work on painting my GF's M3 sideskirts for her 335 Coupe and they came out superb. She has a white car too, and the color match is just precise - on top of that, the shop painted the skirts without the car. The shop is in Great Neck, NY. PM me if you'd like for the details. Here's a pic of her car when I installed the skirts:

392384_10150925348403644_954836437_n.jpg

I live in northern NJ, prefer not to go into the city though...
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

Hey AutoGAF, what's the difference between the BRZ and the 86? Australian pricing for the 86 has been revealed and for $30k it's a great deal. So far as I can tell the BRZ is pretty much the same car, just a few minor exterior changes (haven't seen the interior). Anything else? What do you guys think of them?

I wouldn't leave it to long, there's talk of a price "adjustment" in 3 months.

Viperbah

my friends call me crazy for wanting a viper as a daily driver, I say, why not?! lol, if I ever did get one it would be a first gen gts coupe though. A quick search found this one for 35,000 bucks
31854169.jpg

a few hours from me, I want one soo bad :D

Haha I dunno if I would want to daily one, but not saying you couldn't. Vipers are actually pretty reliable and built like tanks. Gen 1 or 2 GTS's are a great choice, one of the best looking cars ever imo.

If I were you...I would get the viper and then spend 2-3 grand on a mid 90's civic for a beater. Nice car + cheap Honda has always worked out great for me.

Very nice.

There is something about the vipers that intimidate me when I see one on the road.
It just have this present of brute force.

Thanks! Brute force is a good way to describe it, the torque is insane.

And it was fucking trash.

Oh man, yes it was...swapping the rear in those new edge cobras is super fun too.

I had to laugh, the way it showed up in my browser window all i saw was the HHR in the background and thought that was what you bought.

N-Bomb

Looking good so far N-bomb, can't wait to see it finished.

Here's pics of my new baby!

Right on dude, looks sweet! I remember when that model originally came out, and I hated it, but I've grown to like its lines more or less (although I still prefer the sedan, myself). I do love the chrome side emblem on the fenders.

Right, on a high-end model. I am talking about on the entry level, as well.

I'm 100% in favour of this.

Sidebar:

Would you pay $900 for these? Keep in mind I'd need to put winters on at some point, but at least then I could delay my fancy summer wheels purchase for a time.

2637l6d_20.jpeg

6685hn8_20.jpeg

They're all fairly beat-up just in terms of the finish (from brake dust n shit), but I guess structurally in good condition. I'm fairly sure they'd fit. At least I know they'd clear the Brembos...

Just saw they've also got a set of Prodrive forged wheels that are okay shape (a few blemishes, nothing like those OEMs up there) for $1200. Only issues is that the tires are sized a bit wrong.
4246c7h_20.jpeg

Angry Grimace

None of that matters. It literally doesn't matter what the Mustang looks like or performs like for people who don't like it. Despite its power to weight ratio, they will always believe it weighs too much and will demand it weigh whatever a car weighs without required safety equipment.

Gunsmithx

Right on dude, looks sweet! I remember when that model originally came out, and I hated it, but I've grown to like its lines more or less (although I still prefer the sedan, myself). I do love the chrome side emblem on the fenders.

I'm 100% in favour of this.

Sidebar:

Would you pay $900 for these? Keep in mind I'd need to put winters on at some point, but at least then I could delay my fancy summer wheels purchase for a time.

Yeah my 04 was a sedan but the look of the hatch has grown on me and I love it's utility. Honestly I'm not sure I could go back to a sedan as my DD. I have some simple plans for it some flaps, maybe a set of wheels and then stage 1 for the moment.

As for the wheels 900 for the set seems ok even with the set they are in. The prodrives look nicer but not sure if it's worth it if you have to replace the tires. You could look into getting them refinished but no idea how much that might cost.

My vote is to go with the Prodrives. They look great on almost anything...

And some more parts arrived for me today from Japan. My wife asked when I plan to give her the spare room back...I told her she has another year to go and there's still more parts to be bought.

N-Bomb

And some more parts arrived for me today from Japan. My wife asked when I plan to give her the spare room back...I told her she has another year to go and there's still more parts to be bought.

Lucky man to have such an understanding wife!

More junk/stuff to sell!
G5caZl.jpg

VDQdSl.jpg

DKv9al.jpg

old lower control arms compared to

2288_PC021279.JPG

similar to what's going in :D

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I just took a look at the first BRZ to arrive in Oklahoma City today. It was a limited in world rally blue, 6MT. Had the 800 rear defuser and home link mirror with compass. 29,436 US THEN a 5000 "market adjustment" on top.
That's insane. They tried to pull that shit with me on my Mustang in '05 and I took his commision over to the fleet salesman.

What are those Brembo's from? A newer STI?

I have a pair from a Evo that I'm planning to use myself (After getting some seat time in my friend S14 with the STI swap).

N-Bomb

What are those Brembo's from? A newer STI?

I have a pair from a Evo that I'm planning to use myself (After getting some seat time in my friend S14 with the STI swap).

Yep, from either an 05 or an 07. Apparently I got kinda lucky and the engine is from an 07. Not sure if the rest of the parts are from the same donor or not. Don't care, as long as they work!

Jharp

CarGAF! I come to you with an inquiry.

So since October, I've been putting away money for a new car. I currently have $12,000 and it's taken me a long time to finally decide on the car i'd like, but about a month ago I decided on the Subaru Impreza Sport Premium. It's perfect, with it's excellent gas mileage, roomy interior, AWD standard, etc. etc. I want a car that I can take into the forest for hiking trips, to the beach for surfing/kayaking, and to the mountains and desert for camping. I live in Southern California and all of those things are within driving distance. So that's the car for me.

Here's the issue- it's too damn popular. I don't mean in the "I don't want a car that everyone else has" way, I mean in the "I can't find a goddamn one at any dealership in a 200 mile radius" way. Yes, I was willing to drive up to 200 miles away to get this car. Hell, I drive from LA to San Diego and back twice a week for work, so really, that's no bigs. I want this fucking car. But like I said, I can't find one. Then I found out about the new car Subaru is releasing this year- the XR Crosstrek. It's basically an Impreza Sport with higher ground clearance. Like, that's literally about it- it's got the same exact interior, body, and engine, it just has bigger wheels, sits a few inches higher off the ground, and loses 3 miles off it's MPG, so it's 33 highway rather than 36.

It's sort of like the car I wanted, but even more perfect, because... well not for any real reason, but dude, it's three inches higher! Fuck yeah! So for a while I decided to wait on the car. No official pricing has been announced yet, but I've read various internet speculation that it shouldn't start much higher than a regular Impreza Sport or a Forester (Barely above 20,000 on both cars). And I figured that waiting on the Crosstrek would be good because even if I decided against it ultimately, I could still get the Impreza, but in a brand spanking new shiny 2013 model. Win win, right?

Well I went down to one of the local Suby dealers yesterday and discussed all this with him, and he gave me two pieces of key information- first off, on June 25th, they open up orders for the 2013 Imprezas, which means I could place a custom order and get the exact car I want with all the shit I want, and not have to compromise with a model that some dealer already has. Secondly, he told me that all release and pricing info on the Crosstreks should be out in July, and he estimated that the Crosstrek base price would be between 23 and 25,000. A tiny bit out of my price range, seeing as I want the premium model, which is a tier up from the base model. Starting at 25,000 is a bit steep, seeing as I want to keep my total at 25,000 max. But he was also quick to assure me that this information was speculation on his part, and that he didn't know anything beyond what was available to the public.

Then he calls me today and lets me know that they actually have five Sport Premiums in the 2012 model coming in next month, two of which are the color I want.

So I'm at a loss. What do?

tl;dr
-Have 12k saved for a new car
-Want a Subaru Impreza Sport Premium
-I can custom order a 2013 later this month
-I can wait till the XV Crosstreks are out and hope they land within my price range
-I can say fuck it and get a 2012 model next month at 23,000, and it will most likely have all the shit I'd want anyways.

Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom