• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunsmithx

Aluminum, too! :)

Originally I was all 'gotta be World Rally Blue'. Then I was like 'I wanna give it a Lotus JPS paint scheme' (black w/ gold wheels/trim), then I was thinking 'How about Ferrari Rosso Scuderia?'

And now I'm wondering if I should go WRB, because going by that hood, it really is a nice colour... but then everyone's STi is in the colour. :\

yeah WRB is pretty popular, thanks to the 555 cars. I like the sound of the louts scheme(and gold always looks good on subie's) would be pretty different from most of em out there.

CrankyJay

Banned
Damn, that 2013 Ford Fusion looks hot.

2013-Ford-Fusion-1.jpg

MisterNoisy

I mean the dude had

stanced wheels
a ridiculously horrible wing
way too many stickers (in which he probably was not sponsored by any of the companies)
a Korean front license plate (I wonder if he knows TC is built in America...and he was hispanic.)
Loud exhaust

Not 100% sure about the second gen tC, but the first-gen car was assembled in Japan (hence the 'J' VIN) and had a hilariously low 'domestic parts content'.

That's a funny way to spell Tesla Model S.

Sorry but the fisker looks better than that electric tin can.

Question I got about the Scion FR-S, is it being built on a very low limited run?

My cousin is considering ditching his fugly family van for this hot piece of sexyness(Young kid got older and they already have a mazda 5)?

He's afraid he might not be able to get one before the end of the summer, he's also not interested in dealing with Subaru...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What does Autogaf think of the Infiniti M37x as a poor man's Audi A6? Right now they are selling 'em very cheap. Like $7k under MSRP. I realize it is a luxobarge, but that's what I want.

ascii42

I agree wholeheartedly, it still looks like it's riffing on that design a little.
(however, knowing that designing a car can take 5+ years, I am sure it's merely coincidental)

Perhaps, but the Fusion's Aston Martin-esque grille is certainly suspicious. Especially since Ford owned Aston Martin up until fairly recently.

Circle T

Sorry but the fisker looks better than that electric tin can.

Question I got about the Scion FR-S, is it being built on a very low limited run?

My cousin is considering ditching his fugly family van for this hot piece of sexyness(Young kid got older and they already have a mazda 5)?

He's afraid he might not be able to get one before the end of the summer, he's also not interested in dealing with Subaru...

Apparently the BRZ is in much lower quantity than the FRS. This first year run, it sounds like they are making about 3x as many FRS as they are BRZ. Rumors were ~6,000 BRZ and ~17-19k FRS. Not sure what that means for actual availability, but the FRS should be much easier to find.

ascii42

Apparently the BRZ is in much lower quantity than the FRS. This first year run, it sounds like they are making about 3x as many FRS as they are BRZ. Rumors were ~6,000 BRZ and ~17-19k FRS. Not sure what that means for actual availability, but the FRS should be much easier to find.

That's interesting, because the BRZ seems to be slightly better and more desirable, at least to me.

That's interesting, because the BRZ seems to be slightly better and more desirable, at least to me.

Which means it's more expensive and will probably be purchased in lower volumes. I bet they'll sell out and I bet a lot of them will be marked up pretty handsomely.

Besides, big part of the appeal is that it's supposed to be a cheap, fun car. Once you start getting above 25-27k the competition looks more appealing.

Circle T

That was just rumor, based on some SOA sales call or something, and could be completely off, so don't take those #'s as fact. But, going by the people acquiring them, it does seem that the FRS are showing up in greater numbers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Which means it's more expensive and will probably be purchased in lower volumes. I bet they'll sell out and I bet a lot of them will be marked up pretty handsomely.

Besides, big part of the appeal is that it's supposed to be a cheap, fun car. Once you start getting above 25-27k the competition looks more appealing.

I believe TylerD posted that he went to check out a BRZ that was listed for $29k (!!!) and it had a "market adjustment" of $5,000 (!!#!#&!@#!$$@!!!). wtfyo

EDIT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38723173&postcount=8202

I believe TylerD posted that he went to check out a BRZ that was listed for $29k (!!!) and it had a "market adjustment" of $5,000 (!!#!#&!@#!$$@!!!). wtfyo

I thought Scion was supposed to be playing the carmax/saturn deal where you pay MSRP no ifs, ands or butts?

Edit: Seriously, that's "pretty decent" used Cayman pricing.

Enron

Banned
What does Autogaf think of the Infiniti M37x as a poor man's Audi A6? Right now they are selling 'em very cheap. Like $7k under MSRP. I realize it is a luxobarge, but that's what I want.

Infinitis are great values. the G and the M both have warts, but the price most certainly can't be beat.

reilo

That seems criminal, wow.

I especially like how you get the "remainder" of the warranty for added "fuck you".

lol keep reading the description:

Find a great sale price on this 1988 Autokraft MK4 at Bellevue Cars in Washington State. We also serve the cities of Seattle Redmond and Kirkland. So if you're looking for a great price on this 1988 Autokraft MK4 MK4 or just looking to get an auto loan for the vehicle you want... you've come to the right place! Bellevue Cars.

ascii42

Well, there's one way to get around that No-Hassle Pricing: sell the car as USED!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CION&searchRadius=0&listingId=323802501&Log=0

SMFH

Good Lord. I seem to recall some dealers doing something similar with the Volt, so they could claim the tax credit.

Yeah, good point. The basic BRZ seems like the best deal to me, but the FRS would probably be good if you want a more bare-bones car. Doesn't the BRZ come with Nav standard? Plenty of people would probably prefer to not pay for that.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
After a ton of testing me and my mechanic figured that the top strut mount bearing is what's making the clunk I hate so much. Either way it's just to show how shit stock Honda suspension parts are.

N-Bomb

N-bomb, go WRB. P1 was an awesome Subaru.

994.jpg

Man, I honestly don't know.

Just picked these up (crossed fingers that they clear the Brembos). Finally I think I have almost everything I need. Just need to test the fitment. They're not in mind condition, but they're light forged wheels and look pretty sharp, and they cost just a bit more than a new set of Enkeis or Koseis. Maybe I'll just get them refinished, coloured gold. We'll see.

zFfzPl.jpg

Prodrive GC-07Cs with Trampio (Toyo Proxes, here) R1Rs. I think this combo would go for something like $4000+, new. I guess I got a decent deal!

Good to see that you went with the Prodrives!

Oh and I was able to drive one over the weekend with my friend who's seriously looking to buy one.

So honestly, the car was a blast! It's such a great ride! I didn't find the cabin to be noisy at all (I was reading about that). The car has a nice and real low center of gravity feel, and the handling was magnificent! Really tight feel while driving.

And for a stock 4 cyl engine and stock exhaust that engine is responsive and sounds great! I get that the Car isn't fast, but every time you accelerate that 50/50 weight distribution and rwd really makes you feel it.

Overall I loved the way it felt and I'd scoop one up. As for my friend, he's looking for a dealer who will sell at MSRP. He's already asked me to source coilovers and a exhaust from Japan!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Model S production starts Friday at 3:30 PM Pacific time. If that's the future of the automobile, I'll be okay. Bring it, Tesla.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Model S production starts Friday at 3:30 PM Pacific time. If that's the future of the automobile, I'll be okay. Bring it, Tesla.

No, that's when they start delivering Model S's to customers. The car has been in production for months.

They already delivered Model S #1 to a shareholder a week or two ago.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My guys at Real Auto Dynamics finished their 1000HP GTR build.

So what does a 1000HP GT-R with a fully built 4.2L VR42 stroker motor sound like? Here's the customer recording it on a dyno across the street (while ours is getting installed):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rIEVslQjQ4k#

On a conservative tune, this run put down 836AWHP. That's 1000HP motor if you factor in 15-20% drivetrain losses. At 21lbs, this is meant to keep strain on the engine and transmission quite low. But this is just the beginning of the road for this car. The goal is to make over 1000WHP. :)

Pics and stuff of the car and other cars here: https://www.facebook.com/realautodynamics

So what does a 1000HP GT-R with a fully built 4.2L VR42 stroker motor sound like? Here's the customer recording it on a dyno across the street (while ours is getting installed):

On a conservative tune, this run put down 836AWHP. That's 1000HP motor if you factor in 15-20% drivetrain losses. At 21lbs, this is meant to keep strain on the engine and transmission quite low. But this is just the beginning of the road for this car. The goal is to make over 1000WHP. :)

Pics and stuff of the car and other cars here: https://www.facebook.com/realautodynamics

reverse-1326910583_larry_david_reaction.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

reilo

COBB Tuning Surgeline recently posted a dyno of their GTR doing 800awhp on pump gas.

FStop7

Banned
I don't even understand why anyone would want that. I suppose it's technically impressive the in same way an Yngwie Malmsteen guitar solo is impressive.

Some people love building cars that make big rwhp for both bragging rights and for highway/airstrip racing. There's an event in Texas every year where 1,200 to 1,500+ rwhp twin turbo Gallardos show up along with these sorts of GTRs, Vipers, etc. They race a standing mile.

I'm not really into straight line racing, either - but the numbers impress me. I'm guessing if you have enough money to build out a GTR to make over 1,000whp then you can probably afford a separate car that's built to be more balanced on a circuit, too. If I were rich I'd probably do the same - have some insane dragsters, cars built for top speed, built for open track racing, etc...

Stock gt-r are already a beast. And all these 1000hp example are just insane. What's even more crazy is that they are pretty much as realiable as stock! Also there not just straight line monsters either, they are trackable....even beating track records.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Stock gt-r are already a beast. And all these 1000hp example are just insane. What's even more crazy is that they are pretty much as realiable as stock!

I'll believe that when I see i - I actually would not ever believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom