• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like I'm going for a test drive of the new FR-S this weekend. I just got off the phone with my buddy who's looking to seriously buy one (or a BRZ). I think he might pull the trigger on this as he's been bugging me to see what parts I can source from J-land.

N-Bomb

BMW wheels on a Smart car. :eek:
Qjf2M.jpg

The whole 'stance' thing is just ridiculous, imo.

In this case, it turns a dumb-looking pod car into something that looks like a moon rover. :\

The front is ok on that smart car but that back is just weird looking....

I got annoyed with VW scene after stance became the word that almost every person dropped in a post on any VW forum.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Man Honda makes junk. Both the inner & outer CV joints on my 04 Civic are on their way out on both sides. The car only has 83,000kms. What a waste of money this thing has become. Never again.

I'd understand if the boots were torn or the axles cracked but both look brand new.

Can't wait to crash it or for it to get stolen. My next car will be a leased Jetta TDI, a FRS or TC. I'm done with this company.

Cool blog.

sfedai0

Banned
Man Honda makes junk. Both the inner & outer CV joints on my 04 Civic are on their way out on both sides. The car only has 83,000kms. What a waste of money this thing has become. Never again.

I'd understand if the boots were torn or the axles cracked but both look brand new.

Can't wait to crash it or for it to get stolen. My next car will be a leased Jetta TDI, a FRS or TC. I'm done with this company.

Cool blog.

Sucks to hear. My '01 is at 140k miles and still trucking.

TylerD

I deem this automotive GAF worthy: the 80th running of the 24 Hrs of Le Mans begins this Saturday morning and you are all invited to participate in the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478498

Highlights include : Audi R18 e-Tron hybrid debut, Nissan Delta Wing "Batmobile" Prototype, Toyota's return to LMP1 with the TS030 gas electric hybrid. It will run on all electric power in the pit lane.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The whole 'stance' thing is just ridiculous, imo.

In this case, it turns a dumb-looking pod car into something that looks like a moon rover. :\

But that smart isnt even showing off what stance is, its back wheel fitment is pretty bad, its sticking out way too much. More camber or just get slightly thinner wheels.
Its just got remotely stretched tires.

You want perfect Stance:

dxwly.jpg

pm8Xq.jpg

pUKCu.jpg

Stance, the wheel fits right under the fender....thats Stance!

ameratsu

All those "stance" cars posted above look worse than stock. Not sure how else to put it; people spent money to make their cars look and perform worse.

SUPREME1

Banned
But that smart isnt even showing off what stance is, its back wheel fitment is pretty bad, its sticking out way too much. More camber or just get slightly thinner wheels.

You want perfect Stance:

dxwly.jpg

pm8Xq.jpg

pUKCu.jpg

I've always wondered how those cars don't completely wreck their fenders over time. Does the wheel not touch the fender at all, even on bumps?

I have an older accord on 18s and if anybody sits in the back, I hear the tries scrape somewhere in the wheel well when I hit a bump. It's not even dropped.

Can someone explain?

Edit:

Also, the only car from those above that looks nice to me is the black Audi. The others look like toys. Expensive, out of my price range, toys.

Edit2:

Is it hydraulics? Are these cars only slammed that low when parked?

Ceebs

Time for more Focus repairs caused by Ford using cheap parts. This time it's plastic thermostat housing. Woke up this morning and my car was sitting in a lake of coolant. Every drop of it has leaked out of the housing thanks to a huge crack in the plastic.

A bit of googling and it seems pretty much every Focus has this issue at some point.

I swear every repair I have had to do on this car has been thanks to cheap parts. Thankfully this one is cheap and seemingly simple.

Viperbah

You want perfect Stance:

dxwly.jpg

pm8Xq.jpg

pUKCu.jpg

Those stickers must add like 20 rwhp

I saw my first 'stance' car rolling on the freeway last week. It was a Civic hatchback. Looks so unreal seeing them rolling down a freeway. I'm wondering the same thing as you, SUPREME. How do they keep their fenders from getting torn the hell up?

the Bride.

Oh the racing seats? Ah I got it...HA!

I've always wondered how those cars don't completely wreck their fenders over time. Does the wheel not touch the fender at all, even on bumps?

I have an older accord on 18s and if anybody sits in the back, I hear the tries scrape somewhere in the wheel well when I hit a bump. It's not even dropped.

Can someone explain?

Edit2:

See below...Also those cars are static so they roll like that. They must have deep pockets as the wear on that rubber is crazy.

I saw my first 'stance' car rolling on the freeway last week. It was a Civic hatchback. Looks so unreal seeing them rolling down a freeway. I'm wondering the same thing as you, SUPREME. How do they keep their fenders from getting torn the hell up?

Rolled fenders and cranking dat camber...

N-Bomb

You want perfect Stance:

No offense... it looks just ridiculous. Every one of those cars' suspensions appears to have collapsed.

All those "stance" cars posted above look worse than stock. Not sure how else to put it; people spent money to make their cars look and perform worse.

I said it somewhere else - stance is the new riceboy.

These guys roll/pull the fenders so everything fits just so. I gotta imagine that the suspension is rock hard so shit doesn't move up and rub. Complete ruination of a vehicle.

Not only that! Stretched tires look completely retard. To me, anything but a nice squarish tire looks wacky.

Can someone explain?

Edit:

Also, the only car from those above that looks nice to me is the black Audi. The others look like toys. Expensive, out of my price range, toys.

Edit2:

Camber, suspension travel, rolled/pulled fenders.
Some people are on bags and have it slammed like that for pics. Some people are actually that low on coil overs, modified top hats, etc.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Camber, suspension travel, rolled/pulled fenders.
Some people are on bags and have it slammed like that for pics. Some people are actually that low on coil overs, modified top hats, etc.

Bang on.

A lot of these "stance" guys just park their cars like that for pics, and then quickly turn their compressors on and have the airbags inflate to a drivable height.

Also, even though those wheels look like they're going to rub or hit the fender lip, when a suspension compresses, depending on the camber angle that's also the angle the wheel will compress at. So it's not always the wheel going up and down, but actually it goes up into the fender at a sideway angle/tilt.

Black_Stride

Can someone explain?
Edit:
Edit2:

Bags brother.
Hydros or just crazy coils.
And also suspension travels in an arc with the top of the wheel inwards.
Which means the wheel actually clears the fender.

Im actually loving all the hate for Stance/Fitment here....it makes me all giddy.
Ive been in multiple car scenes and it seems each scene hates on the other.

THis is one of those situations where people just dont understand a culture and are absolutely welcome to hate.
I know guys who hate Carbon fiber anything cuz they dont understand why you would want that "ugly" material on a car.....then i know guys who hate the Carbon fiber look paint over it then get hated on by guys who say why would you cover that beautiful material.

Look at deep AutoX guys, they will hate on pretty much anything that wont make the car lighter, quicker or handle better.....its all different cultures that people either love, hate or just dont give a fuck about.

I personally love the Stance/Fitment trend, wheels that just fit the wheel archs remind me of Concept cars and Car Sketches....its like these concepts are brought to life.

Heck within the Stance/Fitment culture there is sub-cultures.....how fat a wheel can you fit vs my wheels only just fit
Stance and Fitment
XPfdD.jpg

The much hated Oni Kyan;
apFOy.jpg

Black_Stride

God I hate that stance bullshit.

Waste of money in my opinion but then again show cars just don't click with me.

Out of curiosity what mods would you do to a semi-luxury, luxury car.

Note this is for all Stance/Fitment haters......I just want to know what scenes autoGAF are generally a part of.
Im guessing most are either AutoX or dont like mods in general based on the amount of hate being spewed at Stance/Fitment culture.

kehs

Banned
Bang on.

A lot of these "stance" guys just park their cars like that for pics, and then quickly turn their compressors on and have the airbags inflate to a drivable height.

Also, even though those wheels look like they're going to rub or hit the fender lip, when a suspension compresses, depending on the camber angle that's also the angle the wheel will compress at. So it's not always the wheel going up and down, but actually it goes up into the fender at a sideway angle/tilt.

Anyone who bags their car and doesn't slam it down to the ground needs to be hand in their compressors.

deviant1

Probably none. If anything some mild suspension, wheels, maybe exhaust but that doesn't mean I'd go for a stanced look.

Note this is for all Stance/Fitment haters......I just want to know what scenes autoGAF are generally a part of.
Im guessing most are either AutoX or dont like mods in general based on the amount of hate being spewed at Stance/Fitment culture.

I've been a Subaru guy for over 10 years now and I also owned a G35 Coupe for 6 years in that time as well. I'm not really into any 1 particular scene, I don't AutoX or do track days, no drag racing, and I think the whole show car scene is dumb.

The whole stance thing is just another trend. I think most people are against it because most of the time it just looks completely ridiculous. I'm mainly against it because from a function and safety standpoint, these people are ruining their cars. Slammed cars with zero suspension travel, crazy negative camber, and stretched tires are all detrimental to a cars handling. It's the definition of rice since it's done solely for looks. The fact that people do this to really nice cars bothers me even more.

Daily driving something setup like this would be nearly impossible.

N-Bomb

Im actually loving all the hate for Stance/Fitment here....it makes me all giddy.
Ive been in multiple car scenes and it seems each scene hates on the other.

THis is one of those situations where people just dont understand a culture and are absolutely welcome to hate.

Saying this is a 'culture' is like saying S&M is a culture. It has nothing to do with not understanding, but has to do with thinking it's ridiculous.

None. I wouldn't buy a luxoboat in the first place, but you can bet that if I did, I'd want it to be as hands-off as possible and not touch anything. To me, 'luxury' means 'I want to be kind of insulated from the details and not bothered to do anything too much, while being surrounded in real poshness'

Does one have to be into a 'scene'? My car history goes FC RX-7 -> C7 Celica GTS -> GC Impreza (total STi swap). Is there a scene for smallish lightish cars that are just fun to drive, not super flashy, but are very capable and look clean and sharp?

I've been a Subaru guy for over 10 years now and I also owned a G35 Coupe for 6 years in that time as well.

I've loved the Impreza to some extent since I used to follow WRC in the 90s when McRae and Makinen would battle for top spot ever year. Finally had the opportunity to get one. Would love to try a rally one day.

I'm not really into any 1 particular scene, I don't AutoX or do track days, no drag racing, and I think the whole show car scene is dumb.

w2l07.jpg

Black_Stride

The whole stance thing is just another trend. I think most people are against it because most of the time it just looks completely ridiculous. I'm mainly against it because from a function and safety standpoint, these people are ruining their cars. Slammed cars with zero suspension travel, crazy negative camber, and stretched tires are all detrimental to a cars handling. It's the definition of rice since it's done solely for looks. The fact that people do this to really nice cars bothers me even more.

Daily driving something setup like this would be nearly impossible.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions its interesting since i ahvent met many people who are so Anti Stance and Fitment but i do take issue with the highlighted parts.

I dont think all Fitment cars look ridiculous case in point the Merc i posted above(Maybe you dont like big wheels but calling it ridiculous is hyperbolic, thats a luxury car with luxury wheels)

Alot of these cars are actually on Bags so they dont roll that low 24/7.
Riding in a bagged car dare i say is more comfortable than many stock suspension setups....considering these cars arent track cars, having super tight suspension is not necessary.

Rice?...I always hated this term because of how pretentious it is, and in this case especially so....it seems anything that serves to make a car more aesthetically pleasing is deemed Rice these days.
Paint your car? Rice
New wheels that arent lighter? Rice.
Window Tint? Rice.
New Suspension? Rice But the car handles better? How many seconds did you shave of your commute to work, RICER!
Couldnt be bothered to paint your replacement hood? Rice, but wait if i paint it im a ricer arent I?...Yes.
GT strips? Rice.....they came stock, Rice as fuck!
New exhaust? How much HP did you gain? I dont know i didnt Dyno it. Rice

Ive found people throw the term rice out whenever they dont like a modification that is done to a car.....yes some people like to make their cars look good what is good?...Thats relative.

As for the whole Demon Camber thing, thats an extreme subculture similar to Bosozoku, the ridiculousness is the whole idea.
Not i dont prefer Fitment style to any other style, im just defending it cuz i think people are being overly harsh.
I defend most car cultures especially if i personally know someone who has cars in one of the sub cultures.

Bosozoku for those that dont know:
9WH3J.jpg

kRoMc.jpg

N89Zh.jpg

P.S You guys must truly hate Lowriders and Hot Rods.

N-Bomb

Rice?...I always hated this term because of how pretentious it is, and in this case especially so....it seems anything that serves to make a car more aesthetically pleasing is deemed Rice these days.

P.S You guys must truly hate Lowriders and Hot Rods.

Part of the pleasing aesthetics of a car is in the perfection of engineering, with form following and combining with function to create something both beautiful and purposeful.

A tube framed sprint car is equally as 'unattractive' as these clown cars, because one of its aspects - in this case function, is taken to an extreme and the other is left behind.

These take some ASPECT of performance, but exagerate it to a yes, ridiculous, extreme so that it's actually detrimental. Any girl will tell you that too much make up is just as bad as none - in this case, the cars are made up like stereotypical whores.

It's okay that you like it, but it's still ridiculous. I'm not trying to be offensive here, but that's how I feel.

And rice? Dude, riceboy is all ABOUT the ridiculousity. It has nothing to do with JUST paint or JUST racing stripes or whatever, it's the attitude behind it, of pretending to be something. Words with no action to back it up. It really has nothing to do with aesthetics.

A fake BOV is rice.
Too much negative camber on a Civic DX is rice.
A 4" exhaust on a base model Corolla is rice.
Huge biplane spoilers on any street car is rice.

Have you ever bought something really REALLY cool that you really wanted, only to find that the box was empty? That's riceboy.

People take ALL of these 'scenes' too far, and that's when anything can start getting ridiculous, but when a scene is BASED on an extreme, there's no redemption.

I also think lowriders are ridiculous, but I don't really care about hot rods one way or the other.

ameratsu

Some wheel gap is okay. I'll say it again: wheel gap is okay. People modding cars to make the edge of the rim flush with the fender have a really weird conception of what cars should look like. I certainly don't see eye to eye with them, nor with those Bosozoku cars where it looks like you can't even open the rear doors. Hellaflush anything looks worse than stock so, again, people are paying money to make their cars look (and perform) worse.

It's one thing to thoroughly detail your car so it looks its best at a car show. Similarly, I get modifying it with high quality parts to tangibly improve aspects of the car you feel are lacking, granted that you've already addressed any pertinent maintenance issues. But modding a car just to show it standing still where it is literally undriveable means you've paid money to make your car worse.

If you are wondering what I'm into, I own an older JDM car, and particularly like older performance cars that owners maintain thoroughly to keep them on the road before worrying about modifications.

AlexMogil

There's an import car show in my town here in a couple weeks. They've asked for exotics as well as daily drivers. I have a 2011 Sti that is pretty much bone stock, but immaculate. Would it be silly to enter and just hang out? Has anyone here done this?

Well not only did I enter, but I came in second.

No trophy for second though.

Ariexv

So my car recently blew a hole in the engine block, looking at getting a decent priced small car. Any suggestions gaf? Been looking at the Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Insight, Elentra and the prius.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So my car recently blew a hole in the engine block, looking at getting a decent priced small car. Any suggestions gaf? Been looking at the Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Insight, Elentra and the prius.
I would look at a Mazda 3 with skyactiv engine - amazing bang for buck.

Stance is the dumbest thing since Fast & Furious kiddies learned that shitty exhausts make loud noises.

I say because I was harrassed by a guy who didn't know what retarded scene he wanted to be in. I was driving from dropping my girl off and this dude in an all black Scion TC pulls up with his "stanced" car. I hate this light because it's long as shit so I'm like fuck. I mean I was feeling good today too, changed my oil that morning, washed the car. I had the windows down and the roof cracked (I drive a TC as well...completely stock) so the guy asks me what I got under the hood. I kid you not I reply "an engine?" He then tells me I need to drop 2K on some mods to make it go faster. And I need some bigger wheels (still riding on the 18" optionals from 2008). I told him I'm not really interested in working with such a limited platform and I got it mainly because it was all I could afford in college. He then suggests I "stance" my shit. Light turns green and dude revs to high heaven and pulls off.

I mean the dude had

stanced wheels
a ridiculously horrible wing
way too many stickers (in which he probably was not sponsored by any of the companies)
a Korean front license plate (I wonder if he knows TC is built in America...and he was hispanic.)
Loud exhaust

I will say though the wheels he had were nice as shit...just didn't like the overall look. I felt bad for the wheels.

FStop7

Banned
No offense... it looks just ridiculous. Every one of those cars' suspensions appears to have collapsed.

I said it somewhere else - stance is the new riceboy.

These guys roll/pull the fenders so everything fits just so. I gotta imagine that the suspension is rock hard so shit doesn't move up and rub. Complete ruination of a vehicle.

Not only that! Stretched tires look completely retard. To me, anything but a nice squarish tire looks wacky.

A stanced out S2000 high centered itself on a SPEED BUMP this morning at Cars and Coffee Irvine. I have never, ever seen that happen before.

N-Bomb

nice! good find. what color did you were you thinking again?

Aluminum, too! :)

Originally I was all 'gotta be World Rally Blue'. Then I was like 'I wanna give it a Lotus JPS paint scheme' (black w/ gold wheels/trim), then I was thinking 'How about Ferrari Rosso Scuderia?'

And now I'm wondering if I should go WRB, because going by that hood, it really is a nice colour... but then everyone's STi is in the colour. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom